PDA

View Full Version : Trump Falsely Claims Not To Know The Man He Hand-Picked As Acting Attorney General

Zippyjuan
11-09-2018, 06:27 PM
https://www.npr.org/2018/11/09/666235157/trump-falsely-claims-not-to-know-the-man-he-hand-picked-as-acting-attorney-gener

President Trump defended his selection of acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker on Friday as new questions arose about Whitaker's fitness for the post and whether his appointment is legal.

Trump named Whitaker to the acting position on Wednesday after abruptly forcing out Attorney General Jeff Sessions. In doing so, the president passed over Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, installing a political appointee with a record of criticizing special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 election.

Trump, who has frequently dismissed that probe as a "witch hunt," feigned ignorance of Whitaker's background.

"I don't know Matt Whitaker," Trump told reporters on Friday as he left the White House for a trip to Paris. "Matt Whitaker worked for Jeff Sessions. And he was always extremely highly thought of and he still is. But I didn't know Matt Whitaker."

In fact, Trump has met with his hand-picked appointee more than a dozen times. As Sessions' chief of staff, Whitaker reportedly accompanied his boss to the Oval Office on multiple occasions.

"Matt Whitaker is a great guy. I mean, I know Matt Whitaker," Trump told Fox News last month. At the time, Trump also sidestepped questions about whether he was preparing to get rid of Sessions.

"I'm not doing anything," he said. "I want to get the elections over. We'll see what happens."

Sessions' dismissal came one day after the midterm votes were tallied.

Trump is said to be a fan of Whitaker's appearances on cable television before he joined the Justice Department. Whitaker voiced doubts about the scope and direction of the Russia probe and suggested a future attorney general might put the brakes on Mueller by cutting off funding for the investigation.

Trump has tapped a number of cable TV veterans for high-ranking posts in his administration — including communications director Bill Shine, once of Fox News; State Department press secretary Heather Nauert, also of Fox; and chief economic adviser Larry Kudlow of CNBC.

Whitaker also served on the advisory board for a patent promotion company that paid nearly $26 million to settle charges that it cheated clients.

More at link

dannno
11-09-2018, 06:31 PM
"Know" is a relative term.

Obviously he has been in his presence a few times, but probably hasn't spoken with him much or at all and certainly not one on one.

So he knows him, but not well.

Of course the left has to act retarded and get all TDS.

r3volution 3.0
11-09-2018, 06:54 PM
I know Matt Whitaker

I don't know Matt Whitaker

"Know" is a relative term.

lol

Swordsmyth
11-09-2018, 07:10 PM
lol
Words are often used in a sloppy manner, I could say I know you but it could also be said that I don't know you.

Jamesiv1
11-09-2018, 07:33 PM
It depends on how the definition of the word "know" is known.

spudea
11-09-2018, 07:37 PM
I know God

kpitcher
11-10-2018, 12:24 AM
What Trump says on fox should only be used on fox, don't be twisting his simple declarative statements around and use them on another network, you know all those fake news places.

Although it wasn't so long ago Fox News was Faux News on this forum.

francisco
11-10-2018, 02:23 AM
...Although it wasn't so long ago Fox News was Faux News on this forum.

That was a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away

A Son of Liberty
11-10-2018, 06:26 AM
Words are often used in a sloppy manner

Apparently this applies to principles, too. :shrug:

Ender
11-10-2018, 10:21 AM

Ya think? :speaknoevil:

RJ Liberty
11-10-2018, 11:29 AM
It depends on how the definition of the word "know" is known.

Haha!

I think Bill Clinton proved, without a doubt, that when a president comes up with a dumb lie that anyone can see through, a large number of sheep will rise to his defense with equally transparent, lame excuses.

It's clear that Trump was lying. Either when he said he did know Matt Whitaker, or when he said he didn't know Matt Whitaker. But we no longer expect our presidents to be truthful.

CCTelander
11-10-2018, 12:06 PM
Haha!

I think Bill Clinton proved, without a doubt, that when a president comes up with a dumb lie that anyone can see through, a large number of sheep will rise to his defense with equally transparent, lame excuses.

It's clear that Trump was lying. Either when he said he did know Matt Whitaker, or when he said he didn't know Matt Whitaker. But we no longer expect our presidents to be truthful.

Their supporters certainly don't, anyway. But on the other hand, if the worst we had to concern ourselves with was presidents lying about shit like this we'd be immeasurably better off than we currently are. Sadly, we've much worse to be concerned over.

TheCount
11-10-2018, 12:09 PM
Words are often used in a sloppy manner, I could say I know you but it could also be said that I don't know you.

Whoa whoa whoa, let's be not hasty in calling them words. Are we sure that they were words? They might not have even been words.

CCTelander
11-10-2018, 12:16 PM

Sadly very true.

Brian4Liberty
11-10-2018, 01:08 PM
“If you like your Doctor, you can keep your Doctor.”

Of course it depends on the meaning of “your”. And “keep”. And “Doctor”. And “like”.

Brian4Liberty
11-10-2018, 01:16 PM
Trump is like a parody of a politician. Most politicians lie constantly, but with Trump, you half expect him to turn to a side camera, and smile and wink every time he talks.

They would love to get him under oath. He couldn’t keep his story straight for five minutes.

dannno
11-10-2018, 03:03 PM
“If you like your Doctor, you can keep your Doctor.”

Of course it depends on the meaning of “your”. And “keep”. And “Doctor”. And “like”.

Trump "lies" about things which are totally inconsequential, or more often they take a statement and twist it into something it isn't like this situation which gets the left all riled up.. then they use it as an excuse to lie about things that are consequential and actually hurts people.

Brian4Liberty
11-11-2018, 03:36 PM
After watching a couple of interviews of Pelosi and Schumer, Trump really is an amateur. They can lie and contradict themselves all day long, never breaking a straight face. It is 2+2=5 24/7 with them. The real scandal is that the leftist mainstream media pretends that they are as honest and pure as Mother Teresa.

Zippyjuan
11-11-2018, 03:42 PM
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2018/11/11/chris_wallace_grills_kellyanne_conway_does_trump_k now_acting_attorney_general_mathew_whitaker_or_not .html

Chris Wallace Grills Kellyanne Conway: Does Trump Know Acting Attorney General Whitaker Or Not?

,<snip>

CONWAY: The president does know Matt Whitaker, has gotten to know him over the course of the last year since he has been the chief of staff to the attorney general. The president’s point is it’s not like he’s putting a friend in there who he’s known for his entire life, he’s putting somebody who has been working at the Department of Justice for 13 months now in a very senior position as chief of staff to Attorney General Sessions. And the president has dealt with Matt Whitaker in many different situations in the White House.

Swordsmyth
11-11-2018, 03:44 PM
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2018/11/11/chris_wallace_grills_kellyanne_conway_does_trump_k now_acting_attorney_general_mathew_whitaker_or_not .html

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2F3ivvDRE GaQRVu%2Fgiphy.gif&f=1