PDA

View Full Version : Why do we have this primary structure?

apc3161
12-13-2007, 03:00 AM
I'm totally serious, why do we have this primary structure? Why do Iowa and NH come first?

Why are these two states almost treated as though they determine the next president?

Am I the only one who has a problem with this? I mean NH is a cool state, but apparently Iowa is just a bunch of evangelicals who will vote for someone based solely on their religious beliefs. Why are they allowed to have so much say? It seems ludicrous.

Why is it not such that, all the primaries are just on "super Tuesday" such that no state (with regard to their chosen date) becomes more important than any other when choosing who will be nominated ?

Does anyone else feel Iowa for instance gets unnecessary sway in this election? I mean in terms of population its a tiny state, so why do they get to have such a
non-proportional (with regard to their population) say in who will get the party nomination? Just because they decided they wanted to go first? It is such an artificial manipulation of a democratic process that it is disgusting. The value of the Iowa vote in the primaries by far eclipses it's importance in the general election. This entire process seems insane and frankly, not right.

micahnelson
12-13-2007, 03:03 AM
Political parties can choose their candidates however they want. This is how they wanna do it.

Media hype is what creates the "big MO" that comes from early primaries. It is a little silly though.

apc3161
12-13-2007, 03:20 AM
Political parties can choose their candidates however they want. This is how they wanna do it.

Media hype is what creates the "big MO" that comes from early primaries. It is a little silly though.

I know they can choose to pick their candidates however they want. To me it just seems stupid that Iowa which represents 1% of the US population has an enormous amount of political power.

Bradley in DC
12-13-2007, 03:29 AM
It's in the Bible.