PDA

View Full Version : Voters in North Carolina to decide on Voter ID law

Swordsmyth
11-03-2018, 10:31 PM
North Carolina Representative David Lewis says he wants voters to have faith in the voting system, which is why he's backing a state ballot measure that would require residents to show photo ID before voting.
"The ability to commit fraud is so easy," he told Fox News' Douglas Kennedy, "that people are very likely to do it."
When asked why it would be necessary to enshrine this Voter ID measure into the state's constitution, Lewis explained, "We'll let the people decide. If they think voter ID's important, they can vote for this amendment."

More at: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/voters-in-north-carolina-to-decide-on-voter-id-law

phill4paul
11-04-2018, 08:51 AM
There are six amendments on the ballot in N.C. Most all are very vague in their wording. Voter I.D. is the only one I voted "yes" to. The reasoning is simple enough. If I am required to show a photo I.D. to purchase a firearm then I believe those that would vote for further gun laws need to have an I.D. to do that.

Swordsmyth
11-04-2018, 06:36 PM
There are six amendments on the ballot in N.C. Most all are very vague in their wording. Voter I.D. is the only one I voted "yes" to. The reasoning is simple enough. If I am required to show a photo I.D. to purchase a firearm then I believe those that would vote for further gun laws need to have an I.D. to do that.
Voting is the most dangerous activity on the planet.

Swordsmyth
11-07-2018, 03:44 PM
Voters in North Carolina on Tuesday overwhelmingly approved an amendment to their state constitution that would require a photo ID before voting.

More at: https://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/politics/item/30581-nc-voters-approved-ballot-measure-to-require-voter-id-on-tuesday

Swordsmyth
11-24-2018, 12:39 AM
Emboldened by a referendum voters approved this month, North Carolina's soon-dwindling Republican majorities at the legislature will scramble to approve their preferred voter identification law before Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper can stop it.The GOP-dominated General Assembly returns to work Tuesday to decide how a new amendment to the state constitution requiring photo ID to vote in person will be carried out. The amendment passed with more than 55 percent of the vote, giving Republicans confidence to move ahead despite years of controversy in the state over such a mandate.
Meeting now is strategic. Democrats won enough legislative seats Election Day to end the Republicans' veto-proof control come January. So Cooper, a longtime opponent of voter photo ID laws, won't be able to stop any lame-duck session bills as long as Republicans remain united.
New restrictions, on which courts probably will weigh in, would affect over 7 million voters in the anticipated 2020 presidential battleground state, which will also feature races for governor and U.S. Senate that year.
"We will pass a law that improves the real and perceived integrity of the election system," said Rep. David Lewis, a Harnett County Republican expected to shepherd a bill through the legislature.

The upcoming proposal is likely to expand on the 2013 ID provisions. Draft legislation released by Republicans this week envisions additional methods to qualify.
In addition to eight forms of approved IDs in 2013 — driver's licenses, military and tribal IDs among them — there would, for the first time, be free voter photo identification cards issued by county election boards, the draft says. Student IDs at University of North Carolina system schools — left out of the 2013 law — would work as well. And more qualifying IDs are possible.
People with hardships to obtain IDs could get them for free or still vote without one if they signed a "reasonable impediment" form. The constitutional amendment allows for exceptions.
More than 80 percent of the 1,050 people who filled out the form during the March 2016 primary had their ballot count, according to the state elections board. But Democracy North Carolina, a voting rights group, calculated more than 1,400 people who lacked acceptable photo ID didn't have their ballots counted, with black residents disproportionately affected. More than 2.3 million people voted in that election.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/referendum-north-carolina-gop-tries-voter-id-again-130526341.html

Swordsmyth
12-17-2018, 05:25 PM
Republican leaders in North Carolina’s GOP-dominated General Assembly vowed late Friday to override Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper’s veto of a state voter identification bill.
Earlier Friday, Cooper said no to the legislation, which more than 55 percent of the state’s voters had approved in a recent referendum.
The referendum called for the state’s constitution to add an amendment requiring in-person voter photo ID.
“Requiring photo IDs for in-person voting is a solution in search of a problem,” Cooper said in a statement.
But state Republicans saw the governor’s action as a rejection of the will of state residents.
“We are disappointed that Gov. Cooper chose to ignore the will of the people and reject a commonsense election integrity measure that is common in most states, but the North Carolina House will override his veto as soon as possible,” state House Speaker Tim Moore said in a statement.

“Despite the governor's personal feelings on voter ID, the fact remains that the constitutional amendment passed with a broad mandate from North Carolinians," GOP Senate leader Phil Berger added, calling Cooper's arguments a “tired rehash of unconvincing talking points rejected by the voters.”
Republicans hold veto-proof majorities in both the House and Senate in North Carolina, so an override would succeed if GOP lawmakers remain united on the issue. Votes could occur next week. GOP lawmakers are acting now because, come January, they will no longer have supermajorities because of Democratic gains made on Election Day.

More at: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/north-carolina-gop-vows-to-override-dem-governors-veto-of-voter-id-bill

oyarde
12-17-2018, 05:37 PM
We have had it here a long time . I cannot imagine a valid argument against it . Buy a shotgun , six pack of beer or pack of cigarettes you have to show ID . So if you don't want to vote don't .