PDA

View Full Version : McCain firing 50-100 staffers, has little cash on hand.

Mani
07-02-2007, 01:40 PM
Looks like he over-hired and has used up most of his cash, he only has $2mil on-hand.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070702/ap_on_el_pr/mccain_campaign

WASHINGTON - Republican John McCain reorganized his campaign Monday, cutting staff in every department as he raised just $11.2 million in the last three months and reported an abysmal $2 million cash on hand for his presidential bid.

We confronted reality and we dealt with it in the best way that we could so that we could move forward," said Terry Nelson, McCain's campaign manager.

Once considered the front-runner for the GOP nomination, McCain trails top Republican rivals in money and polls.

More than 50 staffers, and perhaps as many as 80 to 100, were being let go, and senior aides will be subject to pay cuts as the Arizona senator bows to six months of subpar fundraising, according to officials with knowledge of the details of the shake up. They spoke on condition of anonymity because the campaign would not publicly discuss details of the restructuring.

McCain's tally in the second financial quarter, which ended Saturday, is expected to trail those of Mitt Romney and Rudy Giuliani, who have not yet released their totals. In the first quarter, McCain came in third and raised just $13.6 million.

Officials said the fundamental leadership of the campaign will not change; Nelson, a veteran of President Bush's winning 2004 campaign, will remain campaign manager but said he would volunteer his time instead of drawing a salary for the next few months.

At its peak, McCain's payroll covered 150 staffers; this is the second round of layoffs.

The campaign said it was seriously considering taking public matching funds, which Nelson said would amount to about $6 million. That would be a major shift in strategy for McCain and could tie the campaign's hands by limiting the amount of money it can spend in individual states.

Nelson said the campaign made "incorrect assumptions" about its fundraising ability.

"At one point, we thought we could raise $100 million over the course of this campaign and we constructed a campaign to fit that," Nelson said. That, he said, proved to be wrong.

The financial difficulties have fueled speculation that McCain would drop out of the race but he dismissed that notion Thursday, calling it "ridiculous." He argued that voters won't start paying close attention until the fall, and said: "I don't know why I would even remotely consider such a thing in the month of June, or July."

Six months before primary voting begins, McCain is struggling for some semblance of momentum.

His popularity among Republicans has dropped since the start of the year. He has become intimately linked to the unpopular Iraq war, and, in recent weeks, he's drawn criticism from already wary conservatives for his support of Bush's immigration reform bill. He declined to participate in an early test of organizational strength in the leadoff state of Iowa this summer, and, he's fighting the perception that he's yesterday's candidate.

McCain's support in national polls has slipped. He is in single digits in some surveys in Iowa and South Carolina, trailing Giuliani, the former New York mayor; Romney, the ex-governor of Massachusetts, and Fred Thompson, the actor and former Tennessee senator who's not yet in the race officially.

As 2006 ended, McCain had cast himself as the inevitable candidate and built an expansive national campaign organization that melded top operatives from Bush's political team with his own base of longtime loyalists from his failed 2000 presidential run.

But the money hasn't come in as planned, and the initial spending was excessive.

From January through March, McCain spent nearly $1.6 million on payroll for his staff, the highest among Republican candidates. Romney was second at $1.1 million and Giuliani spent nearly $900,000.

As the second financial quarter began in April, the campaign cut some consultant contracts and low-to-mid-level jobs, and revamped its finance operation.

Despite the changes, McCain's fundraising continued to lag, and officials said more staff cuts were needed to ensure he had enough money to compete in the early voting states and run television ads.

The shake-up comes as McCain embarks on his sixth trip to Iraq, where he will spend the July 4 holiday with U.S. troops. In his last visit to Iraq in April, he was widely criticized for saying he was cautiously optimistic of success even as he toured Baghdad under heavy military guard. Iraqis accused him of painting too rosy a picture and U.S. critics argued he was out of step with reality.

Bob Cochran
07-02-2007, 01:42 PM
As I said a month or so ago, McCain is toast.:)

dspectre
07-02-2007, 01:46 PM
As I said a month or so ago, McCain is toast.:)

Good call on that one.

You never know the future, but if McCain was going to be THE front runner, there would be little to no hope for the GOP.

quickmike
07-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Bomb Bomb Bomb

dude58677
07-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Is this a surprise? He helped run up the 8 trillion dollar debt.:D :D :D

CJLauderdale4
07-02-2007, 02:33 PM
$9.2M+ per quarter burn rate?!?!?!?!?
What'd he buy, nukes to personally send to Iran via DHL!!

Mani
07-02-2007, 02:35 PM
Is this a surprise? He helped run up the 8 trillion dollar debt.:D :D :D

When I read this article, I think..if he manages his campaign so poorly, how could anyone expect him to manage being President?

Broadlighter
07-02-2007, 02:36 PM
Sounds like he needs to call his drunken sailor buddy and invite him out for a little drink.

Trance Dance Master
07-02-2007, 02:41 PM
I wonder how much money he wasted bribing Ed Failor and paying people to set up phony myspace accounts as friends.

austin356
07-02-2007, 02:42 PM
Sounds like he needs to call his drunken sailor buddy and invite him out for a little drink.

You made a good joke out of a crappy old joke that got used 100 times too many...:D :D :D

dude58677
07-02-2007, 02:54 PM
John McCain is the Bill Buckner of American Politics. He let his whole campaign slip through his legs.

Original_Intent
07-02-2007, 02:56 PM
One establishment candidate down, two to go, and one yet to announce...

kalami
07-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Did Romney inject his own money into his campaign finances to meet expectations? Can we just go ahead and count him out too?

angelatc
07-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Wow. 11 million in only one quarter. What I wouldn't give to see Ron Paul pull that much in.

PatriotOne
07-02-2007, 03:03 PM
Careful with the McCain gloating and bashing....ya never know when his supporter's may be over here shopping around for a new candidate...wouldn't want to offend them :p

dmitchell
07-02-2007, 03:08 PM
I actually feel kind of bad for McCain. He is wrong on a bunch of things, but I would take him over Giuliani or Romney.

austin356
07-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Wow. 11 million in only one quarter. What I wouldn't give to see Ron Paul pull that much in.

thats nothing.......... Expectations are actually just as or more important than nominal contributions. JMcC needed $15m to stay level and not lose ground. RP needs just a few $m to gain much ground.

BW4Paul
07-02-2007, 03:14 PM
I actually feel kind of bad for McCain. He is wrong on a bunch of things, but I would take him over Giuliani or Romney.

Yes, I agree with this. I like him better than Thompson, too-- McCain doesn't seem like the kind of man who could ever lobby for a b@st@rd like Jean Paul Aristide.

tnvoter
07-02-2007, 03:18 PM
the mccain amnesty bill sealed his fate. bai bai!

angelatc
07-02-2007, 03:18 PM
McCain was the only one who was against torture except for Paul, IIRC.

McCain doesn't even seem like the same man he was during the last campaign. He looked like he enjoyed it time around, but there's no more happiness in his eyes.

dmitchell
07-02-2007, 03:26 PM
Yes, I agree with this. I like him better than Thompson, too-- McCain doesn't seem like the kind of man who could ever lobby for a b@st@rd like Jean Paul Aristide.
He also opposes torture, and has been vocal about putting the brakes on federal spending. He gave a great speech after the GOP defeat in '06 in which he said Republicans lost because they had abandoned their principles for power.

Harry96
07-02-2007, 03:32 PM
This reminds me of Dr. Paul's comment about how he doesn't have to raise as much as the others, because his overheard is lower and he doesn't waste money like a politician the way they do.

If Dr. Paul raises $10-15 million by the end of the year and has held on to most of it, he may have nearly as much cash-on-hand as the establishment front-runners, because they'll have already burned through most of theirs, likely on high-salary staffers, fancy offices and hotel suites.

Delivered4000
07-02-2007, 04:18 PM
McCain is a clumsy hack. He missed more than half of his senate votes.

Zydeco
07-02-2007, 05:01 PM
Government in action:

The campaign said it was seriously considering taking public matching funds, which Nelson said would amount to about $6 million.

In other words, McCain is willing to waste $6 million of taxpayer money just to prolong his losing campaign another couple of months because it's so important that he be president.

If it's so important, why doesn't he take the money from his personal fortune, estimated at over $10 million? Answer: because why should he, when he can rape the people instead?

LibertyCzar
07-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Aw, he's only raised $11 million. That's too bad. What a shame. So now he has to lay off people. As if that's going to help with the campaign. The grassroots won't help this time. Everyone knows who he is and what unpopular positions he advocates. He should just drop out already and let his supporters go to a candidate with a real shot at winning the nomination. :D

BillyBeer
07-02-2007, 06:22 PM
50-100 staffers in June/July!!!! No wonder hes in debt! This is a prime example of why Pauls leaner and meaner campaign is more effective with less resources.

acstichter
07-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Well, being from AZ, I finally get my Senaor back. Like someone else mentioned, McCain missed half the Senate votes this year. His response was that his vote wouldn't have mattered anyways and he was 'busy' behind the scenes.

McCain was the first candidate I was excited about and donated $$$ to in 1999.

He turned several years ago to court the big Bush elites. I respect his mantra of stay in it to win it, but what I really wanted wqas to never gat in it. Now I'd say get out, but I respect his position a little.

Anyways, he's toast. He angered me as an Arizonan on his bewildering support for the Amnesty bill. Both AZ senators sold out on this one.

After bailing out of the pres. campaign, John McCain will come limping home to AZ to serve the rest of his 6 year term in shame. Maybe he will return to his old ways and be independent thinker. I hope so.

Aaron in AZ

PatriotOne
07-02-2007, 07:16 PM
Well, being from AZ, I finally get my Senaor back. Like someone else mentioned, McCain missed half the Senate votes this year. His response was that his vote wouldn't have mattered anyways and he was 'busy' behind the scenes.

McCain was the first candidate I was excited about and donated $$$ to in 1999.

He turned several years ago to court the big Bush elites. I respect his mantra of stay in it to win it, but what I really wanted wqas to never gat in it. Now I'd say get out, but I respect his position a little.

Anyways, he's toast. He angered me as an Arizonan on his bewildering support for the Amnesty bill. Both AZ senators sold out on this one.

After bailing out of the pres. campaign, John McCain will come limping home to AZ to serve the rest of his 6 year term in shame. Maybe he will return to his old ways and be independent thinker. I hope so.

Aaron in AZ

It really is a shame that McCain sold out. I think he was a true patriot at one time. The Bushes corrupt anyone within handshaking distance. I hope you will take a close look at Ron Paul. He is uncorruptable and very principled and has nothing but our country's best interests. He refuses to take donations from any special interest groups.

We are so passionate about him and his integrity and his wisdom. He is what we need to get back on track to being the great country we were meant to be.