PDA

View Full Version : Romney made the worst statement at the debate(the constiution)

tsetsefly
12-13-2007, 01:57 AM
I was trying to find the quote and I could so I will paraphrase but a statement made by Romney shows just how far off America is.
Romney said(not in the video he had although he mentioned it there as well) that we should follow the constitution and that if people "find new rights" then the congress can change or add them.

THis shows a frightening lack of understanding of what a right is. Rights are not created from thin air or assigned to us by government, we have rights because we are born with those rights every human has them, unfortunately many have those violated. The constitution mentions that specifically and for this idiot to not even understand that is just inexcusable...

what an idiot...

edit: parenthesis correction, and can someone youtube this quote, thanks!

ValidusCustodiae
12-13-2007, 01:59 AM
Yeah, I caught that too... here is Ron smacking him w/his Constitution stick.

http://a172.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/121/l_a0bedf9952baf8202e8ab5706451131b.jpg

kylejack
12-13-2007, 02:04 AM
Ninth Amendment.

Paulite5112007
12-13-2007, 03:31 AM
Yeah, I caught that too... here is Ron smacking him w/his Constitution stick.

http://a172.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/121/l_a0bedf9952baf8202e8ab5706451131b.jpg

Human Paladin vs. Wood Elf circa EQ1?

Bradley in DC
12-13-2007, 03:36 AM
your most important civil liberty is your right to life. ;) ROFL

xexkxex
12-13-2007, 03:42 AM
Constitution stick :D LMAO

....I just busted out into a 3:40am Red Bull fueled laugh...

....oh how I love the insomnia causing game bejeweled....

Ron Paul Fan
12-13-2007, 03:43 AM
Who needs liberties as long as the government keeps us safe. Also, a declaration from Congress is not needed to go to war as the President just has to sit down with his attorneys and they'll tell him whether or not he can take the nation to war.

Aballistar
12-13-2007, 05:35 AM
Human Paladin vs. Wood Elf circa EQ1?

In Kithicor Forest, no less.

Vonhayek7
12-13-2007, 05:56 AM
That is a half elf.

God we're all nerdly related. :(

IRO-bot
12-13-2007, 05:59 AM
I love you guys. Everquest was the best game ever made. That could also be Faydwer.

10thAmendmentMan
12-13-2007, 06:42 AM
Romney said(not in the video he had although he mentioned it there as well" that we should follow the constitution and that if people "find new rights" then the congress can change or add them.

Gee, good thing we have someone like Mitt running for office. I'd be scared that we might elect someone who'd "give" us too many rights!

That moment made me scream at my TV. The other one was McCain talking about how we can't have too many civil liberties because the government needs to be able to save us from the boogiemen (terrorists).

CJLauderdale4
12-13-2007, 06:54 AM
Someone please post this separate clip from your DVR to YouTube. This is Campaign ad fodder for New Hampshire, Nevada, and maybe even Iowa.

To show that Romney doesn't even know where rights come from, and that the Constitution is just some legal document is damning in the greatest sense.

And if the Constitution is just some legal document, then the person with the best lawyer can a) get away with trampling on someone's rights, and b) supposedly "find new rights" hidden within the document, like there's some supernatural hidden speech in there just waiting for a new legal interpretation.

Romney must've misunderstood the recent National Treasure movie for a FoxNews report.

Hey, The "Book of Secrets" isn't about hidden rights in the Constitution, jackass.

BLS
12-13-2007, 07:31 AM
Constitution stick :D LMAO

....I just busted out into a 3:40am Red Bull fueled laugh...

....oh how I love the insomnia causing game bejeweled....

GOOD! EXCELLENT!!

Friggin Xbox 360. :D

Santana28
12-13-2007, 10:54 AM
i thought the line where he said he doesn't have to worry about taxes... how all the little people have to worry about taxes... was pretty funny. i think when Fred called him out on it, was the only time i was happy to see him on stage. He was right - Romney makes a great actor.

tsetsefly
12-13-2007, 02:25 PM
Someone please post this separate clip from your DVR to YouTube. This is Campaign ad fodder for New Hampshire, Nevada, and maybe even Iowa.

yes we need to youtube this moment in stupidity...

Elwar
12-13-2007, 02:40 PM
He did mention during the debates that it wasn't up to him to find out if going to war should come from Congress...that he'd leave such questions to the lawyers...

Bradley in DC
12-13-2007, 02:52 PM
Yeah, he does that.

davidkachel
12-13-2007, 03:01 PM
I was trying to find the quote and I could so I will paraphrase but a statement made by Romney shows just how far off America is.
Romney said(not in the video he had although he mentioned it there as well" that we should follow the constitution and that if people "find new rights" then the congress can change or add them.

THis shows a frightening lack of understanding of what a right is. Rights are not created from thin air or assigned to us by government, we have rights because we are born with those rights every human has them, unfortunately many have those violated. The constitution mentions that specifically and for this idiot to not even understand that is just inexcusable...

what an idiot...

Romney is referring to things like a new right to hand over 100% of your earnings to the government instead of only 50%, or a new right to have a government agent protecting you 24 hours from inside your living room. Those kinds of new rights.

mconder
12-13-2007, 03:03 PM
" that we should follow the constitution and that if people "find new rights" then the congress can change or add them.

If any of these posers knew anything about the constitution, they would understand the difference between positive and negative rights as understood by the founders. When you grant someone a positive right, like the right to education or health care, you violate someone's negative rights. Negative rights exist whether they are acknowledged by the state or not. The general populace is morally justified in defending negative rights, by force if necessary. This is the thesis found in the Declaration of Independence, the basis for our government. The Constitution would not exist, if not for the assumptions made about the relationship between man and government found in the Declaration of Independence. We should still regard this document as the legal basis for the activities of government. Too bad we don't. It would remove a lot of the complexity we've heaped on ourselves, if we just follow this simple guiding principle as Dr. Paul does.

tsetsefly
12-13-2007, 03:17 PM
" that we should follow the constitution and that if people "find new rights" then the congress can change or add them.

If any of these posers knew anything about the constitution, they would understand the difference between positive and negative rights as understood by the founders. When you grant someone a positive right, like the right to education or health care, you violate someone's negative rights. Negative rights exist whether they are acknowledged by the state or not. The general populace is morally justified in defending negative rights, by force if necessary. This is the thesis found in the Declaration of Independence, the basis for our government. The Constitution would not exist, if not for the assumptions made about the relationship between man and government found in the Declaration of Independence. We should still regard this document as the legal basis for the activities of government. Too bad we don't. It would remove a lot of the complexity we've heaped on ourselves, if we just follow this simple guiding principle as Dr. Paul does.

yup, walter williams says it great:

The way our Constitution's framers used the term, a right is something that exists simultaneously among people and imposes no obligation on another. For example, the right to free speech, or freedom to travel, is something we all simultaneously possess. My right to free speech or freedom to travel imposes no obligation upon another except that of non-interference. In other words, my exercising my right to speech or travel requires absolutely nothing from you and in no way diminishes any of your rights.

tsetsefly
12-16-2007, 12:34 PM
bump, can anyone get a youtube of this...

Brennon
12-16-2007, 12:38 PM
That is a half elf.

God we're all nerdly related. :(

I knew that as well....unfortunately. :D