PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Citizen, Detained Without Charge by Trump Administration for a Year, Is Finally Free

TheCount
10-29-2018, 08:33 PM
An American illegally detained in Iraq by the U.S. military for more than a year has finally won his freedom.

On Sunday, after a long court battle, the Trump administration let our client go. Under a settlement agreement, he was released in a third country, where he will once again be a free man. Parts of the agreement are confidential, and he is officially remaining unidentified for his safety and privacy.

From the moment the American was imprisoned, his own government tried to deny him his constitutional rights. It kept his detention secret, denied his requests for a lawyer, and attempted to forcibly transfer him to a dangerous war zone.

Fortunately, the courts fulfilled their role and upheld his due process rights. What the Trump administration tried to do was unprecedented, and a series of historic court rulings forced the government to respect the Constitution at virtually every turn. The end result: Unwilling to justify our client’s detention to a court, the government had few choices but to set him free.

https://www.aclu.org/blog/national-security/detention/us-citizen-detained-without-charge-trump-administration-year

And now back to your regularly scheduled reality show.

r3volution 3.0
10-29-2018, 08:43 PM
I wonder if he's tired of winning yet.

Swordsmyth
10-29-2018, 08:47 PM
https://www.aclu.org/blog/national-security/detention/us-citizen-detained-without-charge-trump-administration-year

O'Bummer would have just droned him.

We all know Trump is far from perfect but his opponents are worse.

r3volution 3.0
10-29-2018, 08:51 PM
Trump outpacing Obama in drone strikes (https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jun/7/donald-trump-outpacing-barack-obama-drone-strikes-/)

Swordsmyth
10-29-2018, 08:54 PM
Trump outpacing Obama in drone strikes (https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jun/7/donald-trump-outpacing-barack-obama-drone-strikes-/)

On citizens?

oyarde
10-29-2018, 08:54 PM
I will never be illegally detained in iraq .

r3volution 3.0
10-29-2018, 08:59 PM
On citizens?

I have no idea. Why?

Swordsmyth
10-29-2018, 09:05 PM
I have no idea. Why?
Because there is a difference that relates to this thread.

r3volution 3.0
10-29-2018, 09:07 PM
Because there is a difference that relates to this thread.

Oh, I think I see now.

Though Trump will deny Americans due process, and does more droning than Obama, he would never ever ever drone an American?

unknown
10-29-2018, 09:07 PM

Two shits dont make a right.

Swordsmyth
10-29-2018, 09:08 PM
Two $#@!s dont make a right.

True, but what good is it to trade them for four?

spudea
10-29-2018, 09:09 PM
Much easier to win in court when not killed by drone.

Swordsmyth
Oh, I think I see now.

Though Trump will deny Americans due process, and does more droning than Obama, he would never ever ever drone an American?
Has he?
Was the man in the OP droned?

unknown

Scary times.

None of the Presidents, including Trump has any regard for the rule of law.

I hate it when the ACLU is right.

enhanced_deficit
10-29-2018, 09:10 PM

Obama was also far from perfect. Soros and Adelson are also far from perfect.
Mike Pence, Giuliani, Bolton, Pompeo, MBS, Kushner too are far from perfect.

But at least they all are not better than Bush.

I have no idea. Why?

Dangerous question, almost reckless.

r3volution 3.0
10-29-2018, 09:12 PM
Has he?
Was the man in the OP droned?

You assume that droning him was an option and a choice was made to not drone him.

We have no idea what the circumstances were.

In any event, your attempt to spin this in favor of Trump is preposterous.

Swordsmyth
10-29-2018, 09:22 PM
You assume that droning him was an option and a choice was made to not drone him.

We have no idea what the circumstances were.

In any event, your attempt to spin this in favor of Trump is preposterous.
I didn't spin it in Trump's favor, I simply pointed out that his failure consists of not changing things enough rather than making things worse.

CCTelander
10-29-2018, 09:50 PM

Opponents? What opponents? The election was in 2016. It is now 2018. Trump has no opponents atm, we're stuck with Trump for at least 2 more years. So plerase quit with the "he's better than ..." straw man bullshit. Nobody is arguing in favor of these non-existent opponents.

What I, and I'm sure almost all the others, ARE arguing for is that you Trump supporters actually bother to hold him accountable for the numerous bad actions he repeatedly commits. You know? Like you're supposed to do to maintain some semblance of liberty. That would be that "eternal vigilance" you minarchists are always going on about, and complaining that OTHERS fail to maintain. Obviously, however, you yourselves are completely unwilling to do so, making you sanctimonious hypocrites of the highest order.

Oh, and that's some scathing criticism of Trump for this reprehensible behavior. Glad to see you're also being so very even handed in your treatment of your Cheeto leader.

Swordsmyth
10-29-2018, 10:02 PM
Opponents? What opponents? The election was in 2016. It is now 2018. Trump has no opponents atm, we're stuck with Trump for at least 2 more years. So plerase quit with the "he's better that ..." straw man bull$#@!. Nobody is arguing in favor of these non-existent opponents.
This isn't an election year?
Russiagate doesn't exist?

What I, and I'm sure almost all the others, ARE arguing for is that you Trump supporters actually bother to hold him accountable for the numerous bad actions he repeatedly commits. You know? Like you're supposed to do to maintain some semblance of liberty. That would be that "eternal vigilance" you minarchists are always going on about, and complaining that OTHERS fail to maintain. Obviously, however, you yourselves are completely unwilling to do so, making you sanctimonious hypocrites of the highest order.

I though you just told me that "The election was in 2016. It is now 2018...we're stuck with Trump for at least 2 more years."

How am I supposed to hold him accountable?

I have said over and over that I will support Rand or anyone else better if they run against Trump in 2020 and foreign policy is one of the biggest reasons but I stand by what I said in this thread.

The bottom line is that Hitlery would have been worse on foreign policy, the Dems running in the midterms won't make anything better and Trump isn't up for election and has been better than any other president for a long time.