PDA

View Full Version : Teach more about Ron Paul, learn less

aknappjr
07-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Perhaps its just me, although I don't believe it is, but I think I spend too much time learning about Ron Paul's latest clips and events and speeches and not nearly enough converting others.

I propose that each of us cut back on our internet "research" of Dr. Paul and spend that time telling other people Dr. Paul's pro-freedom message. RP needs name recognition, and now, and we could be using our time more effectively.

I propose: each of us spend 50% less time on the internet, and 50% more time telling people in the offline world about Ron Paul and the freedom movement.

beermotor
07-02-2007, 01:17 PM
You should just do what you need to do, and spend less time worrying about what others are doing.

nayjevin
07-02-2007, 01:38 PM
good job, beermotor. criticize someone with a good idea. i contend someone with a couple dozen posts is worrying LESS what people here are doing than one with several hundred posts.

there are many here that would do well to do exactly what was proposed.

better to convince those by example, saying that's what you have been doing, as opposed to by proposing, it might not be the most effective strategy.

i agree entirely, though -- 2 minutes with a neighbor might have more effect than 60 minutes online.

BLS
07-02-2007, 02:01 PM
I converted another guy this weekend. I just showed him "Stop Dreaming".

He said the same thing everyone does when they watch it.

"wow"

mport1
07-02-2007, 02:03 PM
Perhaps its just me, although I don't believe it is, but I think I spend too much time learning about Ron Paul's latest clips and events and speeches and not nearly enough converting others.

I propose that each of us cut back on our internet "research" of Dr. Paul and spend that time telling other people Dr. Paul's pro-freedom message. RP needs name recognition, and now, and we could be using our time more effectively.

I propose: each of us spend 50% less time on the internet, and 50% more time telling people in the offline world about Ron Paul and the freedom movement.

Good idea. I do spend much more time doing research than trying to convert others. I'm just addicted to Ron Paul though (he should be illegal).

beermotor
07-02-2007, 02:12 PM
good job, beermotor. criticize someone with a good idea. i contend someone with a couple dozen posts is worrying LESS what people here are doing than one with several hundred posts.

there are many here that would do well to do exactly what was proposed.

better to convince those by example, saying that's what you have been doing, as opposed to by proposing, it might not be the most effective strategy.

i agree entirely, though -- 2 minutes with a neighbor might have more effect than 60 minutes online.

Whatever man. The point is, if it is such a big deal to you, do it. There's no point bashing people about it; if it's important to them, they will do it also.

The subpoint is, who the hell are you, or any of us, to tell anyone what to do? None of us are being paid. What I do while at work is my own business, "several hundred posts" and all.

Brandybuck
07-02-2007, 02:13 PM
I have to disagree. It does NOT take that much time to learn the principles of liberty and free market economics.

One of the great problems we have today is a lack of basic economic education. People think they know all about economics, but polls and voting records demonstrate they do not. They don't understand how prices work, as can be witnessed by their desire to stick greedy oil companies with new taxes, raising the minimum wage to help the poor, etc. They don't understand how voluntary trade creates wealth, as can be seen (even in this forum) by their demand for protectionism, tarrifs on China, etc.

Brian Caplan has a new book out on the subject, "The Myth of the Rational Voter". People cannot make rational decisions regarding candidates and their policies without first knowing the basics of economics. I'm not talking about complex macroeconomic subjects, but simple first quarters topics like marginal utility and comparative advantage.

Twenty minutes a day is all you need to learn economics. Go to the Mises Instutite or EconTalk.org, and download lectures and podcasts, then listen to them at the gym, driving to work, instead of watching Oprah, etc. They have some truly excellent podcasts. Then start reading some good economic blogs like www.cafehayek.com and www.marginalrevolution.com.

ARealConservative
07-02-2007, 02:13 PM
You should just do what you need to do, and spend less time worrying about what others are doing.

IRONIC POST

nayjevin
07-02-2007, 04:43 PM
who the hell are you, or any of us, to tell anyone what to do?

I don't think the original poster had any illusion that he/she could force you to do anything you don't want.

I see your point -- but I think we can look past the phrasing of the original post, which seems a little encroaching, to the point of it -- that perhaps it's more important to be talking to people who don't know about RP yet than reading about him, or talking to those who already know about him, about things that might be considered frivilous given the huge task we have ahead of us.

I don't see any problem with urging us to get out there -- I mean, if this poster was doing nothing but urging us to do this, it could get annoying -- but this is pretty obviously one of his/her first posts, and there's no reason to fire back.

That's all I was getting at -- and BTW I respect you from many other posts I have seen from you -- and am glad you're here as often as you are.

DjLoTi
07-02-2007, 04:46 PM
I've learned a lot about RPs positions, but I still occasionally run into unique questions.

That being said, I've already talked to 100+ people and 3,000 of 'my people' ;) have seen the revolution sign.

LibertyCzar
07-02-2007, 05:45 PM
In my opinion, we can never know too much about something. There will always be a need for additional research. However, we could certainly work to bring everything together into a collection of research aids, so that it can be done more efficiently. Just as there can never be enough research, there can also never be enough organization of research materials.

smtwngrl
07-02-2007, 05:54 PM
beermotor,

The original poster was only voicing his thoughts. He wasn't attacking anyone, just stating what he felt he needed to do...and throwing out that suggestion, in case others might benefit from it.

So there's no need to take offense. If you don't want to pay attention to his ideas, don't pay attention to them. With all of the threads on these forums, no one can read or respond to all of them, anyway.

I see both sides of it. I know *I* need to spend less time on the computer, but a certain amount is good. I'm more informed, and refreshed for the battle, so to speak, as well.

One of the great problems we have today is a lack of basic economic education. People think they know all about economics, but polls and voting records demonstrate they do not. They don't understand how prices work, as can be witnessed by their desire to stick greedy oil companies with new taxes, raising the minimum wage to help the poor, etc. They don't understand how voluntary trade creates wealth, as can be seen (even in this forum) by their demand for protectionism, tarrifs on China, etc. .....

Twenty minutes a day is all you need to learn economics. Go to the Mises Instutite or EconTalk.org, and download lectures and podcasts, then listen to them at the gym, driving to work, instead of watching Oprah, etc. They have some truly excellent podcasts. Then start reading some good economic blogs like www.cafehayek.com and www.marginalrevolution.com.

Excellent idea. It's good to increase our knowledge, in whatever ways we decide to do that. At the K.C. Rally a couple of weeks ago, Ron Paul was asked the question, "After donating money/time, what is the thing we can do to help you the most." He said it was to educate ourselves, so that when we talk to people, we will be persuasive.

billv
07-02-2007, 06:24 PM
I have to disagree. It does NOT take that much time to learn the principles of liberty and free market economics.

One of the great problems we have today is a lack of basic economic education. People think they know all about economics, but polls and voting records demonstrate they do not. They don't understand how prices work, as can be witnessed by their desire to stick greedy oil companies with new taxes, raising the minimum wage to help the poor, etc. They don't understand how voluntary trade creates wealth, as can be seen (even in this forum) by their demand for protectionism, tarrifs on China, etc.

Brian Caplan has a new book out on the subject, "The Myth of the Rational Voter". People cannot make rational decisions regarding candidates and their policies without first knowing the basics of economics. I'm not talking about complex macroeconomic subjects, but simple first quarters topics like marginal utility and comparative advantage.

AMEN. Economics is awesome when you learn it. It somewhat revolutionized the way I think. I love having new frameworks to think about things with.