PDA

View Full Version : McConnell hints GOP will try ObamaCare repeal again next year

Swordsmyth
10-17-2018, 08:27 PM
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell suggested Wednesday that Republicans would take another stab at repealing the Affordable Care Act after the midterms, saying in an interview that "we’re not satisfied with the way ObamaCare is working.”
McConnell, who in the past two years has overseen the appointment of a record-setting number of federal judges and justices, and the passage of a broad tax reform bill, acknowledged that Republicans' failed effort to repeal ObamaCare in 2017 remained a major "disappointment" of his tenure.
“If we had the votes to completely start over, we’d do it," McConnell, R-Ky., told Reuters (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-senate-mcconnell-policy/mcconnell-says-senate-republicans-might-revisit-obamacare-repeal-idUSKCN1MR2QE?feedType=RSS&feedName=politicsNews&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social). "But that depends on what happens in a couple weeks."

More at: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mcconnell-hints-gop-will-try-to-repeal-obamacare-again-next-year

Aratus
10-17-2018, 08:32 PM
In the event a RED WAVE drops the number of Senate (D)s by 5 seats,
and the number of House (D)s by 15 to 25 seats, I was expecting this.
If this goes the opposite direction, he is practically a political eunuch in
February after a flipped Senate and an almost flipped House. Just sayin!

r3volution 3.0
10-17-2018, 08:51 PM
McConnell hints GOP will try ObamaCare repeal again next year [in desperate and slimy bid to get out the GOP vote]

Sounds about right

Swordsmyth
10-17-2018, 08:54 PM
Sounds about right

LOL

McCain is gone now, why wouldn't they repeal it now?

You just want the Demoncrats to win.

r3volution 3.0
10-17-2018, 08:56 PM
LOL

McCain is gone now, why wouldn't they repeal it now?

You just want the Demoncrats to win.

Because they didn't want to repeal it before (regardless of McCain)?

brushfire
10-17-2018, 08:56 PM
LOL... Yup... yer gonna do it. Its repeal time... Those republicans are going to repeal obamacare. Who believes this sh!t?

https://i.gifer.com/4Mrf.gif

r3volution 3.0
10-17-2018, 09:02 PM
LOL... Yup... yer gonna do it. Its repeal time... Those republicans are going to repeal obamacare. Who believes this sh!t?

https://i.gifer.com/4Mrf.gif

Everyone knows you have to suspend disbelief to enjoy the show.

Also, turn off your cell phone, and go to the lobby to get yourself a treat.

https://dmattingly.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/letsallgotothelobby.gif

Swordsmyth
10-17-2018, 09:03 PM
Because they didn't want to repeal it before (regardless of McCain)?

McCain was the only thing that stopped it.

r3volution 3.0
10-17-2018, 09:09 PM
McCain was the only thing that stopped it.

You forget how it happened.

No one (save Rand, and perhaps one or two others) wanted anything approaching a real repeal.

The several bills that were in serious consideration (including the one McCain killed, and the one that passed) were all various flavors of turd.

Swordsmyth
10-17-2018, 09:14 PM
You forget how it happened.

No one (save Rand, and perhaps one or two others) wanted anything approaching a real repeal.

The several bills that were in serious consideration (including the one McCain killed, and the one that passed) were all various flavors of turd.
The one McCain killed was enough of an improvement that Rand voted for it, with more Senate Republicans they won't have to make as many concessions to the "moderates".

r3volution 3.0
10-17-2018, 09:40 PM
The one McCain killed was enough of an improvement that Rand voted for it

It was still crap.

with more Senate Republicans they won't have to make as many concessions to the "moderates".

Don't forget the moderate in the White House, who proposed the first and worst bill.

Remember Sean Spicer in the press room saying that was the plan, they were all in, and there was no plan B?

kpitcher
10-17-2018, 11:15 PM
Maybe, just maybe, they could have a plan ready to go. Something without hand written notes in the sidelines written by the healthcare industry. Even just an outline of a plan would be a start.

TheCount
10-17-2018, 11:23 PM
Must be election season.

r3volution 3.0
10-17-2018, 11:31 PM
Must be election season.

LOL, that it is.

It always brings out a special kind of...enthusiasm.

TheCount
10-18-2018, 05:25 AM
LOL, that it is.

It always brings out a special kind of...enthusiasm.

Is this:

A) Promising the people imaginary ponies to get them to vote for you
B) A list of things that the Republican party will claim in 2020 that they were totally going to do but the mean Democrats wouldn't let them
C) Both

Anti Federalist
10-18-2018, 10:02 AM
Just popped into this thread to see if the usual suspects were throwing the needed amount of wet blankets.

I was not disappointed.

Carry on.

angelatc
10-18-2018, 10:11 AM
In the event a RED WAVE drops the number of Senate (D)s by 5 seats,
and the number of House (D)s by 15 to 25 seats, I was expecting this.
If this goes the opposite direction, he is practically a political eunuch in
February after a flipped Senate and an almost flipped House. Just sayin!

I agree but I also think that this promise does more to motivate the left than the right.

Brian4Liberty
10-18-2018, 10:17 AM
I agree but I also think that this promise does more to motivate the left than the right.

That thought also occurred to me. Was this a set-up question by a Democrat reporter?

angelatc
10-18-2018, 10:24 AM
That thought also occurred to me. Was this a set-up question by a Democrat reporter?

Healthcare cost is reportedly at the top of the list of things voters are concerned about. If they see Trump as a fixer, it would make sense they want him to fix healthcare.

devil21
10-18-2018, 11:46 AM
Everything that comes out of the mouth of a politician from now until after November 6 should be ignored.

CCTelander
10-18-2018, 12:14 PM
Everything that comes out of the mouth of a politician from now until after November 6 should be ignored.

This kind of simple common sense used to be, well, common around here. Sadly, no longer.

"You must spread some Reputation around ..."

Zippyjuan
10-18-2018, 12:20 PM
Maybe he IS trying to rally voters. Poll as of October 16th:

https://www.greenwichtime.com/technology/businessinsider/article/Americans-support-for-Obamacare-is-at-an-13317941.php

Support for President Barack Obama's signature domestic achievement — the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare — is at record highs less than three weeks before the midterm elections.

A majority of Americans (53%) and of likely voters (54%) approve of the healthcare law.

That is also significantly more than the 45% who approve of the Republican tax cuts passed last year.

The results could provide a boost to Democrats in November's elections as voters list healthcare as their top issue.

Among "likely voters" in the poll, 54 percent have a favorable view of Obamacare and 43% unfavorable. 37% of voters approve of Trump's handling of the issue while 55% disapprove.

The polling represents a huge shift from just after the 2016 election, when approval for Obamacare hovered in the low 40s. It marks the culmination of two years of increasing approval of the law and the highest approval rating among registered voters polled by Fox since March 2015.

And last year's Republican effort to repeal the healthcare law was deeply unpopular. The American Health Care Act, which Republicans failed to pass the Senate. One poll found approval for the repeal law at 17%, while others found that as little as 8% of Americans supported the passage of the new law. A study found that the Republican effort — the attempted fulfillment of a key campaign promise — was the most unpopular bill in three decades.

r3volution 3.0
10-18-2018, 01:34 PM
Is this:

A) Promising the people imaginary ponies to get them to vote for you
B) A list of things that the Republican party will claim in 2020 that they were totally going to do but the mean Democrats wouldn't let them
C) Both

Both, plus:

D) The topic of a future Trumpsplanation