PDA

View Full Version : Is this legal?

jstmike
12-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Is it against the rules to have others that can't donate because they are under age or out of the country to give money to people that can and are under their $2,300 limit?

I know you would have to trust the person you're giving money to. But for example let's say I can only afford to put in $1,000. Then I could setup a chip in that maxed out at $1,300. Then my friends could give money to that chip-in/PayPal account. Then on Dec. 16th I can use all the money to give up to $2,300.

Now is this legal? Or is this how people end up in club-fed?

Is this any different from asking people off the street to help you out so you can donate more to the campain?

Maverick
12-12-2007, 11:30 PM
I don't know if one person can give to another for a donation, but apparently you can sell. Over in this thread, they're talking about selling "Ron Paul pennies" or something, so maybe you can check that out: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=51280

Benaiah
12-12-2007, 11:34 PM
dunno

Tidewise
12-12-2007, 11:40 PM
Rule number one: Don't ask for legal advice from non-lawyers over the Internet.

Rule number two: Read and understand the First Amendment.

Rule number three: Do what it takes to get Ron Paul elected.

kylejack
12-13-2007, 12:01 AM
Its illegal. Don't ask don't tell is the only legal way to do it.

Tidewise
12-13-2007, 12:09 AM
Its illegal. Don't ask don't tell is the only legal way to do it.

Do whatever it takes! "They" are not playing fair. The campaign finance laws are unconstititional. Do what you must do.

hueylong
12-13-2007, 12:09 AM
It's illegal. And since you already asked the question in front of a whole lot of people... You might want to re-think the whole deal.

There are lots of grass roots chip ins you can participate in that aren't affiliated with the campaign.

Huey

Jobarra
12-13-2007, 12:52 AM
The donation form on the website specifically states that you cannot accept money from someone else in order to donate for them in your name.

AlexK
12-13-2007, 12:54 AM
Is it against the rules to have others that can't donate because they are under age or out of the country to give money to people that can and are under their $2,300 limit?

I know you would have to trust the person you're giving money to. But for example let's say I can only afford to put in $1,000. Then I could setup a chip in that maxed out at $1,300. Then my friends could give money to that chip-in/PayPal account. Then on Dec. 16th I can use all the money to give up to $2,300.

Now is this legal? Or is this how people end up in club-fed?

Is this any different from asking people off the street to help you out so you can donate more to the campain?

Once your friends give you the money, that money becomes yours. How would anyone know that they're giving you money specifically to donate to Ron Paul?

Ksuperneau
12-13-2007, 01:29 AM
That is what Rush is always bashing Hillary about. When a community of poor chinese people each donate $1000 to her campain. When is is just a leader of the community that gives them all the money then has them all write a check. Yet no one ever calls her on it even though it is illegal and the fact that she is being funded chinese influences.

jstmike
12-13-2007, 01:43 AM
The donation form on the website specifically states that you cannot accept money from someone else in order to donate for them in your name.

I went and checked out the exact wording and it says:
3. I am making this contribution with my own personal funds, and I will not be reimbursed by anyone for this contribution.

The way that I read that rule above is that I would make the donation and then get reimbursed for it from someone else after that time.

My thinking is that they would be giving you the money as a gift and at that point it becomes your money and it would be from your own personal funds.

We are still allowed to gift people small amounts of money these days aren't we?

I just looked online and see there is a $12,000 per year limit before a form needs to be filed.

http://www.smartmoney.com/tax/homefamily/index.cfm?story=gifttax

Please Dr. Paul get in office quick!!! Being afraid of doing something wrong and ending up in jail sucks.

Mark Mosconi
12-13-2007, 03:03 AM
Maybe if people 'Chipped in' to give you money as a Christmas gift, and then you just happened to say "Hey...giving to Ron Paul is more important than a Christmas gift" lol
Then it technically IS your funds...is it not? lol