PDA

View Full Version : Michigan now requiring able-bodied people to work in order to keep food stamp benefits

Swordsmyth
10-09-2018, 07:14 PM
As of October 1, the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (https://www.michigan.gov/mdhhs/0,5885,7-339-73970_71692_71696-475392--m_2016_6,00.html) (MDHHS) has reinstated federal work requirements for able-bodied adults without dependents in order to receive food assistance. MDHHS said that once recipients reach the date of their next annual case eligibility determination, able-bodied adults ages 18-49 will have three months to meet federal work requirements, or qualify for an exemption, or they will lose assistance.
Able-bodied recipients reportedly must complete at least 20 hours per week of work, volunteering or job training to continue receiving benefits.

More at: https://fox8.com/2018/10/07/michigan-now-requiring-able-bodied-people-to-work-in-order-to-keep-food-stamp-benefits/

phill4paul
10-09-2018, 07:18 PM
"What the hell is the point? I might as well get a full time job." - Allyer Tacksus

jkr
10-09-2018, 09:00 PM
A job?
Good luck wife that...

Pauls' Revere
10-09-2018, 09:14 PM
Integrated Government Labor Camps. We let our prisoners mingle with society to hide their true numbers. :D

"None are more imprisoned than those that believe they are free"

Brian4Liberty
10-09-2018, 09:22 PM
Now is the time, especially considering reports of labor shortages.

phill4paul
10-09-2018, 09:43 PM
Now is the time, especially considering reports of labor shortages.

I don't know about everywhere, but here (Piedmont area N.C.) it is gangbusters for hiring. $14-$15 starting. Some even offering $500-$1000 bonus at 90 days. Can't get enough workers. I like looking at job boards and there are many asking if criminal convictions would exclude them. All companies are saying "Come on in. We will decide on a case by case basis." That's full time, manufacturing, cardboard, plastics, cable optics, metal coatings. There's 1000's of part time jobs. 2 yrs. ago hiring in this area was dead. Fucking Trump got the engine rolling again. Many can hate on him as they will, but, if you want a job you can get one now. Perhaps that's why most don't like him. Easier to say, "Well, there's no job out there and I got unemployment, so...."

VIDEODROME
10-09-2018, 11:04 PM
Michigan is terrible for jobs. I had to go into truck driving and leave the state.

kpitcher
10-10-2018, 01:22 AM
Without dependents... there's the catch.

Now that Michigan state colleges are offering free college for any family earning under 65K it would make logical sense to tie that into free college for welfare recipients. Get the skills needed to get into the workforce.

Although that would be be common sense and we can't have that in this state.

kpitcher
10-10-2018, 01:26 AM
Michigan is terrible for jobs. I had to go into truck driving and leave the state.

You're not wrong. I was looking through the job listings on indeed recently and most jobs were $11 or so. Some of highest paying jobs listed were for state jobs to help people get financial aid. The CDL jobs were also very high, big sign on bonuses also.

VIDEODROME
10-10-2018, 01:58 AM
You're not wrong. I was looking through the job listings on indeed recently and most jobs were $11 or so. Some of highest paying jobs listed were for state jobs to help people get financial aid. The CDL jobs were also very high, big sign on bonuses also.

The trucking jobs can be misleading. There are some really awful companies out there.

Also, to make that good money means a lot of sacrifice and having no normal social life. You live in that thing for weeks at a time. I've done it for months one time.

It's also dangerous especially in Michigan which has been notorious for winter pile up crashes on I-94.

I managed to get a local Yard Jockey gig in Wisconsin, but I'm thinking of going back on the road with more endorsements to possibly pull Tankers and working down south. If I get good enough, I might try a stint in the Texas oil fields.