PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tax, Trump, Housing Drive Race for California Governor

timosman
10-07-2018, 03:38 PM
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/california/articles/2018-10-06/gas-tax-trump-housing-drive-race-for-california-governor

Oct. 6, 2018

http://media.beam.usnews.com/2f/76058d04f0a50e56d351fd45e9e132/resizes/1500/media:93f98b516e5245f58e49fa3871e571d8Election_201 8_Governors_Tax_Returns_30571.jpg
This combination of March 8, 2018 photos shows Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom, left, and John Cox in Sacramento, Calif. California's race for governor pits Newsom, a Democrat and former San Francisco mayor, against Republican businessman John Cox.

By JONATHAN J. COOPER, Associated Press

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California's race for governor pits Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom, a Democrat and former San Francisco mayor, against Republican businessman John Cox. Here's a look at where they stand on issues that have shaped the race:

GAS TAX REPEAL (Proposition 6)

Lawmakers and outgoing Gov. Jerry Brown last year raised gas taxes by 12 cents to 41.7 cents per gallon and vehicle registration fees by $25 to $175 to pay for road repairs.

Cox is chairman of the group that collected signatures to put the question before voters in November. He has made rolling back the increases — and requiring voter approval for any future hikes — a centerpiece of a campaign focused on reducing taxes and regulations.

Newsom supports the gas tax increase, saying repeal would end critical road construction happening across the state and take away the jobs that accompany them.

DONALD TRUMP

After trying to distance himself from Trump early in the race, Cox embraced the president and was rewarded with a series of laudatory tweets that helped him consolidate support among Republicans and finish second in the primary to secure a ballot slot in the general election.

He's now walking a tightrope — staying close enough to Trump to satisfy Republicans who back the president but not so close to alienate independents he needs to attract to win. He notes that he and Trump are successful businessmen looking to bring their talents to politics and has praised Trump for the strong economy, but he says "I'm running my own campaign here."

Newsom, meanwhile, abhors Trump and pledges to continue California's efforts to stymie the president's agenda. The state has been Trump's chief antagonist, challenging environmental, immigration and other policies in court and finding ways to thwart them under state law.

HEALTH CARE

Newsom backed a California Nurses Association proposal this session to eliminate insurance companies and give everyone state-funded health coverage. It was blocked in the Assembly but it's become rallying cry and litmus test for many voters on the left.

Newsom said he's studying international models and promises to aggressively pursue something that would work in California to achieve "universal health care, regardless of pre-existing condition, ability to pay and immigration status."

Cox is adamantly opposed to a government-run health care system, which he says would lead to long wait times, massive tax increases and a system controlled by health care lobbyists.

He's been less specific about what he'd change with California's health care system but makes clear he opposes more government intervention and providing coverage to immigrants living in the country illegally.

HOUSING

Newsom has pledged to build 3.5 million new housing units by 2025. That's the number experts say is needed to catch up with current needs and keep pace with demand. Critics say it's unrealistic in a state that has never built so many homes so fast. He also calls for building more subsidized housing.

Cox notes that it's significantly cheaper to build homes in Indiana, where he owns more than a dozen apartment complexes, than in California. He pledges to get rid of strict regulations that he says drive up the cost of construction and to reform the California Environmental Quality Act, which critics say is abused by development opponents to block new construction or delay it through years of lawsuits. CEQA, as it's known, requires local governments to identify and mitigate environmental harms from construction projects.

Both candidates oppose Proposition 10, a ballot measure that would pave the way for expanded rent control.

BULLET TRAIN

Cox opposes the state's largest infrastructure project — a high-speed rail line between Los Angeles and San Francisco. He's pledged to end the project, which he sometimes calls "the crazy train." He's blasted the project for significant cost overruns and setbacks.

"We've wasted billions on this job," Cox said at a debate earlier this year. "It's gone the minute I am governor."

Newsom's position on the train has shifted. He joined with then-Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger to campaign for voter-approved bonds to help finance the project in 2008. Years later, with costs skyrocketing, he questioned whether it was the best use of the money.

Now, he says he supports the project but is concerned that there's no plan in place to raise much of the estimate $77 billion the project will cost.

WATER

Cox says California needs more reservoirs and other storage facilities, which he says are vital for California's massive agriculture industry and will be a priority if he's elected.

He has blasted a plan by state water officials to increase flows on the lower San Joaquin River to save salmon and other fish but that would deliver less to farmers in the Central Valley.

Newsom says he'd look to expand the adoption of technologies that reduce water use, such as drip irrigation and remote sensors to ensure fields and yards don't use more water than they need. He's also talked up water recycling and replenishing groundwater.

IMMIGRATION

Newsom advocates policies that help immigrants living illegally in California, including expanded public benefit and legal defenses against deportation. He also wants comprehensive immigration reform at the federal level and opposes building a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border.

"Immigration has advanced the economy of this state in profound and pronounced ways," Newsom said.

Cox frequently blasts California's "sanctuary state" law that restricts cooperation between law-enforcement and federal immigration authorities — a policy that Newsom supports. He supports building the border wall and calls for more aggressive immigration enforcement.

"I don't want to live next to MS-13 and I don't think any of us do," Cox said earlier this year, referring to a violent gang formed in Los Angeles in the 1980s by El Salvadoran immigrants.

TAXES

Cox says high taxes are crippling California and contributing to a high cost of living he says drives people to more affordable states. He'd like to reduce the income tax and overall state spending, but acknowledged that's unlikely to happen with Democrats controlling the Legislature.

Newsom says he'll begin a long-term process to reform the state's notoriously volatile tax code, which leads the state budget to mirror the stock market's boom and bust cycles. California's income tax rate is too high and not competitive with other states in the West, he says.

"The vast majority of our economy is not taxed, and as a consequence we are very indulgent in taxing the remaining part of our economy," Newsom told The Associated Press.

Newsom declined to say whether he'd like to add a sales tax on services or had other ideas in mind, saying "I want to put everything on the table."

timosman
10-07-2018, 03:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW_pKfE6Tbc

Pauls' Revere
10-07-2018, 03:49 PM
I would vote for Gavin if it means California loses its S*** and finally goes crazy enough to really secede from the union.

I want Gavin to say "California should secede to finally be able and free to go as crazy stupid as we want to".

:)

The Gavin Platform: https://www.gavinnewsom.com/

Submitted to Mr. Newsom:

Mr Newsom,

Would you support a proposition which allows California to peacefully secede from the U.S.?

pending reply at this time...

timosman
10-07-2018, 04:00 PM
I would prefer repelling communists from the levers of power in the state. :cool:

Swordsmyth
10-07-2018, 04:59 PM
I would vote for Gavin if it means California loses its S*** and finally goes crazy enough to really secede from the union.

I want Gavin to say "California should secede to finally be able and free to go as crazy stupid as we want to".

Submitted to Mr. Newsom:

Mr Newsom,

Would you support a proposition which allows California to peacefully secede from the U.S.?

I would prefer repelling communists from the levers of power in the state. :cool:

If they try to secede we can negotiate to keep the red counties.

timosman
10-08-2018, 01:30 PM
https://www.kqed.org/forum/2010101867627/cox-newsom-face-off-in-final-california-gubernatorial-debate

In this special edition of KQED's Forum, California Gubernatorial candidates Republican John Cox and Democrat Gavin Newsom join host Scott Shafer in studio for a wide-ranging conversation about their priorities and visions for the state.

timosman
10-08-2018, 01:41 PM
https://calmatters.org/articles/blog/newsom-cox-debate-disagree-on-everything/

The two men competing to be the next governor of California met for their first (and, alas, probably only) one-on-one stand-off today.

If you didn’t see it, that’s because the showdown—which was structured more as a spirited conversation than your standard dueling podiums-style debate—was on the radio, hosted by political reporter Scott Shafer, out of the San Francisco-based station KQED.

And if you didn’t hear it, that’s because it was on a Monday.

At 10 a.m.

On a federal holiday.

It’s a low-profile treatment for what may be the sole opportunity many voters have to evaluate the two candidates vying to become the next leader of the fifth largest economy on earth. But then again, few voters will have a difficult time distinguishing Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom, a liberal Democrat and former mayor of San Francisco, from John Cox, a conservative Republican with the backing of President Trump.

On housing, both candidates agreed that a shortage of production was to blame, but they offered very different solutions. Newsom argued that local governments often exert too much influence blocking production. “There’s a certain point where the state of California needs to intervene.”

Cox disagreed, arguing that the focus needs to be on reducing the cost of adding new units by cutting state environmental regulations.

The debate over housing quickly turned feisty as Newsom pointed to a number of his proposed solutions, including boosting the state’s low-income housing tax credit and allowing local governments to skim property tax revenue for affordable housing, and said that his opponent, Cox, offers only “an illusory strategy where he criticizes and identifies problems” but offers no substantive solutions.

Cox countered that all of Newsom’s solution rely on “more government.”

Despite Cox’s best efforts to keep the conversation focused on bread-and-butter economic issues and his history of “fighting against the establishment,” Shafer asked about his views on gay marriage. In 2007, Cox said that allowing same-sex couples to marry would “open the floodgates to polygamy and bestiality.”

“I’ve evolved on those issues…just like Barack Obama,” said Cox.

When asked about gun control, the candidate criticized the focus on “guns and all of these social issues,” arguing that he is not running for governor to change state law on those issues, but is instead focused on affordability.

Cox was only too happy to talk about Proposition 6, the ballot measure that would repeal the recent increase in the state gas tax and other driver fees, which Cox has made a crux of his campaign.

Cox argued that the state’s Democratic leadership “didn’t want to do the tough job” of eliminating wasteful spending and cut environmental regulations. As governor, he said that lawmakers can fund necessary road repairs even without the new revenue.

“We’re going to use the money efficiently and cut good deals with contractors,” he said.

Newsom once again called that plan “illusory.”

“His plan is to make things worst,” said Newsom. “You can eliminate every single position at (at Caltrans, the state transportation agency)…and still struggle to find the money.”

Likewise, Newsom seized the opportunity to turn the discussion of the state’s sanctuary policy, which limits local and state law-enforcement agencies’ cooperation with federal immigration authorities, into an opportunity to paint Cox as President Trump’s acolyte.

“He believes very passionately in building the wall, he believes in the elimination of sanctuary policy,” said Newsom. “Trump would have an advocate in Sacramento if he becomes the next governor.”

Cox ignored the reference to the president but said he would push for a repeal of the sanctuary state law. “If somebody is here illegally and they’re engaged in criminal activities I think it’s up to public officials to kick them out,” he said.

Similarly, the two candidates also offered different views on the state’s recent criminal justice reforms, including the recent elimination of cash bail.

“You’re replacing a private business with a lot more state workers,” said Cox, whereas Newsom called the new law “an extraordinary step forward and a civil rights reform.”

And while Newsom celebrated the state’s climate change policy, saying the state should play a “role not just nationally but internationally to lead, Cox was more circumspect. He agreed that the planet was warming and that human activity “may very well” be partially to blame, he questioned whether the benefit of dramatically cutting emissions across the state was worth the cost to ratepayers and drivers.

That this year’s governor’s race will only feature one debate during the general election (there was a handful before the June primary) is unusual by historical standards. But it likely represents the new normal. As the LA Times reported yesterday, no race for governor or U.S. Senate has featured more than one post-primary debate since 2012. That may be a consequence of the growing political polarization of the state.

“I think there’s a growing cynicism about the utility of debates, Cal State Sacramento political scientist Kimberly Nalder told the Times.

Cox’s strategy during the debate mirrors the one he has employed for months on the campaign trail. He has tried to saddle Newsom with responsibility for California’s high gas taxes, it’s high poverty rate, housing costs and every other economic woe facing the state. As a social conservative who opposes abortion, Cox has largely steered clear of those issues.

“This campaign is about change versus status quo,” he said. “Gavin has been part of the political class that has led this state downward.”

There’s a poetic irony that Newsom should be held responsible for so many of the state’s problems, given that he has occasionally griped that the post of lieutenant governor offers little in the way of actual responsibility. But as a Bay Area Democrat, Newsom certainly represents more of a continuation of current policy than Cox.

https://vgy.me/PZhnln.png

For his part, Newsom also took a familiar tact in the debate this morning, arguing that Cox was “in lockstep with Trump and Trumpism.” To hear Newsom tell it, Cox is the president’s Midwestern alter-ego: a millionaire outsider with no political experience and ideas that are both unrealistic and unacceptable to most Californians.

In short, Cox hopes the election will be a referendum on the current political direction of the state, while Newsom wants every voter to have President Trump at front of mind as they fill in their ballot.

According to a recent poll from the Public Policy Institute of California, Newsom’s strategy appears more likely to succeed—and not just because he’s a Democrat in a blue state. Among likely voters, 61 percent disapprove of the way the Trump is handling the job. Meanwhile, by a slim 50-to-47 margin, more voters than not believe that California is headed in the right direction.

As the frontrunner in a blue state, Newsom could be seen to have little to gain from more frequent, visible debates. In the newest Target Book Insider Track Survey, which asks consultants, lobbyists and other political players in California politics from both sides of the aisle, 37 percent of respondents said Newsom shouldn’t bother with debates because there’s no upside for him, only the risk of a downside. But 63 percent said he should debate—either because it would be a needed endorsement of the American political process (30 percent) or politically smart (8 percent) or both (25 percent.

Pauls' Revere
10-09-2018, 08:38 PM

Submitted to Mr. Newsom:

Mr Newsom,

UPDATE: Here is the response from Mr Gavin's Office. The standard form letter. But what was I expecting? right?

thanks so much, again, for recently hopping on with my campaign for governor!

I know I hardly need to tell you why this race is so critical. My opponent is in lock-step with Trump on nearly every issue – he’d drag California backwards on equality, climate change, healthcare, and so much more. We’re doing everything we can to make sure California rejects the Trump/Cox agenda, stands up for values like diversity and equality, and keeps leading the nation. But we can only do that if we win in November, so I’m hoping you can give today to make sure we do.

Every dollar you donate helps us reach more voters, spread our message, and turn out the vote for Democrats up and down the ticket in CA. But I’ve got to be honest: since we won the primary, our fundraising has slowed way down – and we just can’t afford to get complacent. Hate this part of politics, but there’s no margin for error here. Will you give $5 or more right now to show we have what it takes to win this race and keep California moving forward? Here’s the link to give: https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/newsomdonate

Thanks so much – so glad you’re with me.

Gavin

Swordsmyth
10-09-2018, 08:42 PM
UPDATE: Here is the response from Mr Gavin's Office. The standard form letter. But what was I expecting? right?

thanks so much, again, for recently hopping on with my campaign for governor!

I know I hardly need to tell you why this race is so critical. My opponent is in lock-step with Trump on nearly every issue – he’d drag California backwards on equality, climate change, healthcare, and so much more. We’re doing everything we can to make sure California rejects the Trump/Cox agenda, stands up for values like diversity and equality, and keeps leading the nation. But we can only do that if we win in November, so I’m hoping you can give today to make sure we do.

Every dollar you donate helps us reach more voters, spread our message, and turn out the vote for Democrats up and down the ticket in CA. But I’ve got to be honest: since we won the primary, our fundraising has slowed way down – and we just can’t afford to get complacent. Hate this part of politics, but there’s no margin for error here. Will you give $5 or more right now to show we have what it takes to win this race and keep California moving forward? Here’s the link to give: https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/newsomdonate

Thanks so much – so glad you’re with me.

Gavin

I'd take that as a NO, Newsom is part of the National Demoncrat machine, he would never endanger their power with CALExit.

Pauls' Revere
10-09-2018, 08:45 PM
I'd take that as a NO, Newsom is part of the National Demoncrat machine, he would never endanger their power with CALExit.

+ rep

dannno
10-09-2018, 08:56 PM
Looks like I'll get to vote for this dude twice.

@TheTexan (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/member.php?u=33245) in 3.......2........1...............

TheTexan
10-09-2018, 09:08 PM
Looks like I'll get to vote for this dude twice.

You're a great American! If only more people shared your enthusiasm for voting, the world would be a better place.

Brian4Liberty
10-09-2018, 09:26 PM
https://calmatters.org/articles/blog/newsom-cox-debate-disagree-on-everything/
On housing, both candidates agreed that a shortage of production was to blame

Someone needs to inform these guys that there are more variables to the equation than just supply...

timosman
10-09-2018, 09:52 PM
Someone needs to inform these guys that there are more variables to the equation than just supply...

Nobody wants to talk about what generates the demand. The dude is a real estate developer. :cool:

timosman
10-12-2018, 10:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WHz-HmqkXM

timosman
10-12-2018, 10:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cRTiEoDWEA

timosman
10-14-2018, 01:45 AM
America's biggest public toilet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld6qYJe4pRs

Great YouTube channel highlighting San Francisco's homeless issues:

https://www.youtube.com/user/LeeMalcolmHester/videos

timosman
10-17-2018, 03:43 PM
https://kfiam640.iheart.com/content/2018-10-17-california-statewide-poll-week-6/

Governor’s Race
Newsom loses nearly 3% this week and Cox picks up 1% point. Newsom’s advantage with No Party Preference voters is slipping back to 46.7% to Cox’s 44.8%.

Gavin Newsom: 50.7%
John Cox: 43.3%
Unsure: 5.9%

https://i.iheart.com/v3/re/new_assets/5bc72b5a925992644c0dd269

Editorial from Strategist John Thomas: The race seems to be settling out to where it wants to be with Newsom slightly above 50% and Cox right around 43%. Cox remains competitive with NPP voters but in order to overcome the significant Republican registration deficit he must win the NPP block by a large margin. While early voting is underway Cox can still tighten this race as we head into the home stretch of Election Day voters. It will require a major investment of paid media dollars that currently his campaign does not have.

Newsom’s strategy thus far seems clear – reinforce and build good will around Newsom’s positive profile and just as of this last week he has introduced an ad attacking Trump without mentioning Cox’s name. It’s an interesting approach, attempt to benefit from Trump’s low approval ratings without giving Cox a name ID lift. Newsom is adhering to the political adage of never attacking down. As of today this race remains Newsom’s to lose.