PDA

View Full Version : Capitol police probe additional doxxing incidents targeting senators

Swordsmyth
10-04-2018, 04:33 PM
Capitol Hill police on Wednesday were investigating two additional doxxing incidents after a former Democratic congressional intern was accused of posting the personal information of at least three Republican senators during last week's Judicial Committee hearing, sources said.
Fox News has learned that the latest alleged doxxing incidents involve at least two more senators, including Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky.
The probe comes amid the arrest of Jackson Cosko, 27, a democratic congressional intern (https://www.foxnews.com/politics/gop-doxxing-suspect-arrested-worked-or-interned-for-feinstein-jackson-lee-other-dems), who earlier Wednesday was arrested for allegedly publishing the private information of at least three Republican senators during last week’s hearing about sexual assault claims against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, authorities said. Paul called for an investigation at the time.
It was not clear whether Cosko was connected to the most recent doxxing probe involving Paul.

More at: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/capitol-police-probe-additional-doxxing-incidents-targeting-senators-including-rand-paul

Schifference
10-04-2018, 04:39 PM
What I find funny is this person gets arrested like ASAP. The Clintons are still free. I am not suggesting that I agree with leaking these contacts but the small guy always gets arrested.

devil21
10-04-2018, 05:40 PM
What's illegal about posting phone numbers and home addresses of Congress members? Anybody have a USC cite?

Swordsmyth
10-04-2018, 05:46 PM
What's illegal about posting phone numbers and home addresses of Congress members? Anybody have a USC cite?

U.S. Capitol Police said 27-year-old Jackson Cosko was charged with making public restricted personal information, witness tampering, threats in interstate communication, unauthorized access of a government computer, identity theft, second-degree burglary and unlawful entry. Police added that the investigation was continuing and more charges could be filed.

More at: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/gop-doxxing-suspect-arrested-worked-or-interned-for-feinstein-jackson-lee-other-dems

devil21
10-04-2018, 08:26 PM
U.S. Capitol Police said 27-year-old Jackson Cosko was charged with making public restricted personal information, witness tampering, threats in interstate communication, unauthorized access of a government computer, identity theft, second-degree burglary and unlawful entry. Police added that the investigation was continuing and more charges could be filed.

More at: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/gop-doxxing-suspect-arrested-worked-or-interned-for-feinstein-jackson-lee-other-dems

I read that already but that doesn't address my question of what is illegal about posting addresses and phone numbers of Congress members. Burglary? Unlawful entry? ID theft? Threats? Witnesses? Sounds like bogus charges stacked on bogus charges.

I asked for a USC cite not a media report. Of that list, the only things I see that could possibly apply is unauthorized access of computer (though if he worked there, how is use unauthorized? Unauthorized access generally means hacking) and making public restricted personal information. There must be some USC statute that deems Congress' home addresses and phone numbers "restricted personal information". What code section is that? It's odd to me that elected representative's personal information is restricted personal information, not public information.

Valli6
10-04-2018, 09:43 PM

18 USC § 119 Making Public Restricted Personal Information
18 USC § 1512(b)(3) (Witness Tampering)
18 USC § 875(d) (Threats in Interstate Communications)
18 USC §1030(a)(3) (Unauthorized Access of a Government Computer)
18 USC § 1028(a)(7) (Identity Theft)
DC Code § 22-801(b) (Second Degree Burglary)
DC Code §22-3302 (b) (Unlawful Entry).

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/119

U.S. Code › Title 18 › Part I › Chapter 7 › § 119
18 USC § 119 Protection of individuals performing certain official duties

(a) In General.—Whoever knowingly makes restricted personal information about a covered person, or a member of the immediate family of that covered person, publicly available—

(1) with the intent to threaten, intimidate, or incite the commission of a crime of violence against that covered person, or a member of the immediate family of that covered person; or

(2) with the intent and knowledge that the restricted personal information will be used to threaten, intimidate, or facilitate the commission of a crime of violence against that covered person, or a member of the immediate family of that covered person, shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.

(b) Definitions.—In this section—

(1) the term “restricted personal information” means, with respect to an individual, the Social Security number, the home address, home phone number, mobile phone number, personal email, or home fax number of, and identifiable to, that individual;

(2) the term “covered person” means—

(A) an individual designated in section 1114;

(B) a grand or petit juror, witness, or other officer in or of, any court of the United States, or an officer who may be, or was, serving at any examination or other proceeding before any United States magistrate judge or other committing magistrate;

(C) an informant or witness in a Federal criminal investigation or prosecution; or

(D) a State or local officer or employee whose restricted personal information is made publicly available because of the participation in, or assistance provided to, a Federal criminal investigation by that officer or employee;

(3) the term “crime of violence” has the meaning given the term in section 16; and

(4) the term “immediate family” has the meaning given the term in section 115(c)(2).
As to the other charges - can't remember where I read it, but Cosko was caught by another employee in an office he shouldn't have been in (Hassan's I think, unlawful entry), logging into a computer he was not authorized to use (identity theft?). He later sent an email to this employee threatening to make even more personal information public (Social Security #s, medical info, children's info) if this employee told anyone what he'd done (witness tampering?).

angelatc
10-04-2018, 10:12 PM
I read that already but that doesn't address my question of what is illegal about posting addresses and phone numbers of Congress members. Burglary? Unlawful entry? ID theft? Threats? Witnesses? Sounds like bogus charges stacked on bogus charges.

I asked for a USC cite not a media report. Of that list, the only things I see that could possibly apply is unauthorized access of computer (though if he worked there, how is use unauthorized? Unauthorized access generally means hacking) and making public restricted personal information. There must be some USC statute that deems Congress' home addresses and phone numbers "restricted personal information". What code section is that? It's odd to me that elected representative's personal information is restricted personal information, not public information.

In this case, unauthorized access means he was caught in the office of another senator, accessing information that he still had technically a password to access.

Lots of information is protected private personal information. It's not just Congressional members.

Valli6
10-04-2018, 10:16 PM
Here's some additional info.

...The former aide was reportedly confronted by a staffer after being caught using a computer in Hassan’s office that he “was not authorized to use,” according to Fox News.

According to Capitol Police Captain Jason Bell’s sworn statement, as reported by Fox News, Cosko walked out after being confronted by the witness, who then called police. The witness then reportedly received an email from “livefreeorpwn@gmail.com” several hours later that said, “If you tell anyone I will leak it all. Emails signal conversations gmails. Senators children’s health information and socials.”

http://dailycaller.com/2018/10/04/man-who-doxxed-gop-senators-allegedly-threatened-to-dox-their-children-if-exposed

devil21
10-04-2018, 11:03 PM
Here's some additional info.

Thanks for the info. That was a really stupid thing he did.

OTOH, there's something seriously wrong when "public servants" have to hide from the people they represent by writing themselves into a secret protected class.

dannno
10-04-2018, 11:35 PM
there's something seriously wrong when "public servants" have to hide from the people they represent by writing themselves into a secret protected class.

Ya, especially when they are for reducing government and ending wars.

Swordsmyth
10-04-2018, 11:49 PM
OTOH, there's something seriously wrong when "public servants" have to hide from the people they represent by writing themselves into a secret protected class.
:confused:
Because every lunatic in the country should get to take a turn breaking Rand's ribs?

Valli6
10-05-2018, 06:10 AM
Legal Information Institute https://www.law.cornell.edu
This is a great website to bookmark if you want to be able to track down specific laws. You can click on ‘GET THE LAW’ and choose which type of law you’re looking for, i.e.; constitution, supreme court decisions, u.s. code, federal rules, laws by jurisdiction etc. There’s also a ‘LEGAL ENCYCLOPEDIA’.
https://www.law.cornell.edu

devil21
10-05-2018, 10:40 AM
:confused:
Because every lunatic in the country should get to take a turn breaking Rand's ribs?

No, because if there wasn't so much manufactured controversy created by those same Congress members, for money and votes, there wouldn't be so many people wanting to harm them. Generally, people doing good things don't need to hide.

Swordsmyth
10-05-2018, 03:57 PM
No, because if there wasn't so much manufactured controversy created by those same Congress members, for money and votes, there wouldn't be so many people wanting to harm them. Generally, people doing good things don't need to hide.

NEWS FLASH: The forces of evil in this world have the easiest time buying or brainwashing patsies to use violence against people like Rand.

Swordsmyth
10-07-2018, 10:09 PM
Several family members of Colorado Republican Sen. Cory Gardner have had their names and home addresses made public, and Gardner’s wife has received a “gruesome” video of a beheading.
A spokesman for Gardner has confirmed to The Daily Caller News Foundation that his family has been doxxed and graphic footage of a beheading was sent via text message to his wife. The Colorado senator — who has invoked furor from liberal activists for voting in favor of now-Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh — first revealed the doxxing to Fox News.

Amid Kavanaugh furor & threats to mbrs, Sen. Cory Gardner (R-CO) tells Fox that his wife received a text with a video attachment showing a gruesome beheading. Someone has has also released the names of and addresses of his family members.
— Chad Pergram (@ChadPergram) October 7, 2018 (https://twitter.com/ChadPergram/status/1048938951107645440?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw)
“The tweet is accurate,” Gardner press secretary Casey Contres told TheDCNF Sunday, also suggesting that his office may go into further detail at a later time.

More at: https://dailycaller.com/2018/10/07/cory-gardner-family-doxxed-wife-beheading/

devil21
10-08-2018, 08:03 AM
Several family members of Colorado Republican Sen. Cory Gardner have had their names and home addresses made public, and Gardner’s wife has received a “gruesome” video of a beheading.
A spokesman for Gardner has confirmed to The Daily Caller News Foundation that his family has been doxxed and graphic footage of a beheading was sent via text message to his wife. The Colorado senator — who has invoked furor from liberal activists for voting in favor of now-Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh — first revealed the doxxing to Fox News.

Amid Kavanaugh furor & threats to mbrs, Sen. Cory Gardner (R-CO) tells Fox that his wife received a text with a video attachment showing a gruesome beheading. Someone has has also released the names of and addresses of his family members.
— Chad Pergram (@ChadPergram) October 7, 2018 (https://twitter.com/ChadPergram/status/1048938951107645440?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw)
“The tweet is accurate,” Gardner press secretary Casey Contres told TheDCNF Sunday, also suggesting that his office may go into further detail at a later time.

More at: https://dailycaller.com/2018/10/07/cory-gardner-family-doxxed-wife-beheading/

Awww, was her safe space invaded by a video of the repercussions of her husband's votes, arming terrorists in foreign countries?

Swordsmyth
10-08-2018, 02:41 PM
Awww, was her safe space invaded by a video of the repercussions of her husband's votes, arming terrorists in foreign countries?

That wasn't the intent, it was a death threat.

Stop playing stupid and defending the leftist barbarians.

devil21
10-09-2018, 07:30 AM
That wasn't the intent, it was a death threat.

And you know this how, exactly?

euphemia
10-09-2018, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the info. That was a really stupid thing he did.

If they have spouses and children, then it looks a little different. They have offices and phones that are open info, but I feel like once they go home, that becomes a reasonable expectation of privacy.

devil21
10-09-2018, 07:54 AM
If they have spouses and children, then it looks a little different. They have offices and phones that are open info, but I feel like once they go home, that becomes a reasonable expectation of privacy.

It's a shame they don't extend us the same courtesy.

brushfire
10-09-2018, 08:14 AM
If they aren't breaking any laws, what do they have to hide?

Swordsmyth
10-09-2018, 12:57 PM
And you know this how, exactly?
Because it is happening after a SCOTUS vote not a war vote.

Krugminator2
10-09-2018, 01:04 PM

Actually that is completely wrong. The people doing the most good are the ones the violent animals want to harm the most.

Krugminator2
10-09-2018, 01:05 PM
If they aren't breaking any laws, what do they have to hide?

Their internal organs from violent animals who want to hurt them because they are taking away free stuff?

devil21
10-09-2018, 01:20 PM
Because it is happening after a SCOTUS vote not a war vote.

Again, you know that was the sender's intention how, exactly? The sender obviously didn't have the phone number info to send such a message during war votes.

I see barbarians on all sides. Lots of idiots allowing themselves to be whipped up into threatening violence against each other, all by media and politicians. The funny part is that few would actually do it if they actually had the opportunity. The idiots still by-and-large segregate themselves into their own little angry groups.