PDA

View Full Version : Trump claims (without evidence) Obama nearly launched war with North Korea

Zippyjuan
09-26-2018, 08:51 PM
https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/26/politics/trump-obama-north-korea-war-claim/index.html

The military under Obama did study options to respond to North Korea missile and nuclear tests including the possible option of a preemptive strike but Obama rejected those options.

During a free-wheeling solo press conference that lasted more than an hour Wednesday, President Donald Trump again claimed that former President Barack Obama was close to starting a catastrophic conflict with North Korea, telling reporters that if he "wasn't elected, there would have been a war" as his predecessor was close to "pressing the trigger."

But those who worked in the previous administration say Trump's assertion is simply untrue.

"President Obama thought you had to go to war. You know how close he was to pressing the trigger," Trump said at the press conference, adding that "not thousands ... millions of people would have been killed" in what "could have been a world war."

"If I wasn't elected, you'd be in a war," Trump declared, seeking to bolster his claim by implying that Obama had "essentially" told him so directly.
It is not the first time that Trump has portrayed Obama's dealings with North Korea as a failure or implied the previous administration was on the precipice of war in an attempt to boost public perceptions about his own quest for a diplomatic resolution with Pyongyang.

In June, a week after his summit in Singapore with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, Trump suggested that the media would have named Obama a "national hero" if he too had "gotten along" with the totalitarian regime.

"If President Obama (who got nowhere with North Korea and would have had to go to war with many millions of people being killed) had gotten along with North Korea and made the initial steps toward a deal that I have, the Fake News would have named him a national hero!" Trump tweeted at the time.

Obama, came to power vowing to talk directly to America's enemies. Eventually he traveled to meet Cuba's President Raul Castro and spoke to Iranian President Hassan Rouhani by phone.

But he concluded it would be wrong to cave to North Korea's provocations.

"This is the same kind of pattern that we saw his father engage in and his grandfather before that," said Obama in 2013. "Since I came into office, the one thing I was clear about was, we're not going to reward this kind of provocative behavior. You don't get to bang your spoon on the table and somehow you get your way."

More at link.

Swordsmyth
09-26-2018, 09:15 PM
https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/26/politics/trump-obama-north-korea-war-claim/index.html

The military under Obama did study options to respond to North Korea missile and nuclear tests including the possible option of a preemptive strike but Obama rejected those options.

More at link.
I'm more inclined to believe Trump than O'Bummer, CNN or you.

navy-vet
09-26-2018, 09:29 PM
I'm more inclined to believe Trump than O'Bummer, CNN or you.
Me too

angelatc
09-26-2018, 09:38 PM
Suddenly evidence is a thing?

timosman
09-26-2018, 10:10 PM
Suddenly evidence is a thing?

Amazing how it works.

UWDude
09-26-2018, 11:52 PM
Sinking of the Cheonan was during the Obama administration. (2010)

After a full international investigation, in which the United States blamed North Korea the whole time, within the first 12 hours (like it always does , S.O.P.) end of "international investigation", it was concluded that it was best not to name the country found to be at fault, to "spare embarrassment".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROKS_Cheonan_sinking