PDA

View Full Version : Big drop in 'dreamers' enrolled at Maricopa Community Colleges after tuition ruling

aGameOfThrones
09-24-2018, 09:36 PM
Enrollment has dropped 40 percent among Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals recipients at the Maricopa Community Colleges after an Arizona Supreme Court ruling earlier this year made them ineligible for in-state tuition.

The drop is much larger than average fluctuations in the DACA student population, the colleges confirmed. Numbers from previous years were not immediately available.

The bulk of DACA recipients who attend higher-education institutions in Arizona go to community colleges.

The plummeting student count confirms what DACA recipients, commonly referred to as "dreamers," and their advocates warned would happen in the aftermath of the court's ruling: A significant number of DACA students would leave college.

Karina Ruiz, the president of the Arizona Dream Act Coalition, said the drop isn’t surprising — she feared it may actually be even higher.

"It is a real crisis," she said.

Many DACA recipients have unexpectedly found themselves at the end of their educational road because the out-of-state rates are simply unaffordable, she said. Since DACA recipients have work permits, they may be the only ones in their families legally able to work, and the increased tuition adds more financial stress, she said.

"They’re hopeless. They’re really hopeless," she said.

But at Arizona State University, the number of DACA students actually increased since the April ruling, though at a slower pace than in previous years.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/arizona-education/2018/09/24/arizona-tuition-ruling-big-drop-dreamers-community-colleges/1374502002/

Swordsmyth
09-24-2018, 09:54 PM
Good, now they need to go home.

Anti Federalist
09-24-2018, 10:11 PM
Many DACA recipients have unexpectedly found themselves at the end of their educational road because the out-of-state rates are simply unaffordable, she said. Since DACA recipients have work permits, they may be the only ones in their families legally able to work, and the increased tuition adds more financial stress, she said.

"They’re hopeless. They’re really hopeless," she said.

What's hopeless is you think you have the right to stick a government gun in my face to force me to pay, when I have my own family and education to worry about.

Fuck off back to wherever you came from and have them pay.

axiomata
09-24-2018, 10:18 PM
In other news, demand curves slope downward.