PDA

View Full Version : The Rise and Fall of Kent Sorenson, Tea Party "Hero"

Badger Paul
09-21-2018, 04:09 PM
Politico story on former Iowa state legislator Kent Sorenson, who had to serve time in a nasty federal pen while the three stooges who tried to bribe him, Tate, Benton and Kesari, got off easy.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/09/21/kent-sorenson-was-a-tea-party-hero-then-he-lost-everything-220522

William Tell
09-22-2018, 07:33 AM
Fascinating read, really shows the dark side of politics. It's so tragic how it all messed up his family so much, the insight into prison was interesting too.

Matt Collins
09-22-2018, 01:23 PM
Took me almost an hour to read that, but it was incredible. Thanks for sharing.

The best part? How he could trust the prison inmates not to steal his stuff but his fellow legislators would jack his stuff constantly.

timosman
09-22-2018, 01:37 PM

The best part? How he could trust the prison inmates not to steal his stuff but his fellow legislators would jack his stuff constantly.

The best part is how to fuck up your career for less than 100k. :D

Brian4Liberty
09-22-2018, 01:58 PM
Politico story on former Iowa state legislator Kent Sorenson, who had to serve time in a nasty federal pen while the three stooges who tried to bribe him, Tate, Benton and Kesari, got off easy.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/09/21/kent-sorenson-was-a-tea-party-hero-then-he-lost-everything-220522

Quite a story. That’s really pushing the modern limited attention span to it’s limits. ;)

Sounds like his next career is going to be in prison reform.

Brian4Liberty
09-22-2018, 02:02 PM

Almost as good as the revelations that a good portion of campaign staff and PACs are all about making money.

Matt Collins
09-22-2018, 02:22 PM
Almost as good as the revelations that a good portion of campaign staff and PACs are all about making money.
Yeah that's a bit of sour grapes on his part. It takes money to operate, especially if you have long term plans that outlast a campaign.

Badger Paul
09-25-2018, 09:58 AM
The main point Sorenson was trying to make (and myself as well all these years) while yes you need money to operate long term, there has to be a larger goal (you know, like, electing Ron Paul) than making a killing off email lists. Because it became clear to Sorenson (as he says in the article) and others that the top brass in the campaign didn't think the candidate (or candidates like him) had much of a chance of winning but they sure were good to make money off of. Didn't Penny basically say the same thing?

William Tell
09-25-2018, 10:32 AM
The main point Sorenson was trying to make (and myself as well all these years) while yes you need money to operate long term, there has to be a larger goal (you know, like, electing Ron Paul) than making a killing off email lists. Because it became clear to Sorenson (as he says in the article) and others that the top brass in the campaign didn't think the candidate (or candidates like him) had much of a chance of winning but they sure were good to make money off of. Didn't Penny basically say the same thing?And that's the trouble. There are some people in liberty organizations and campaigns that are in it for the right reasons. I do think a lot of the ones who get a bad rap actually want the liberty movement to succeed, but no matter what anyone says, there are leaches out there. And there are people who take more than they give, and there are people who are only in it for the money. I don't mind if an organization has paid staff, and I don't mind if they fight the good fight even if they think they will lose. But they should be honest about it all. This is why we need honest people at the top, I believe Ron and Rand are honest, but some of the people they have trusted to run things have fallen way short. We should do better, that's all.