PDA

View Full Version : Editor retweeted 'women don't have penises' is fired from university journal

aGameOfThrones
09-21-2018, 01:58 PM
A student editor at a top university has been fired in a transphobia row after he tweeted that 'women don't have penises'.

Angelos Sofocleous, assistant editor at Durham University's philosophy journal 'Critique', was sacked from his post after just three days for writing a tweet deemed 'transphobic' by fellow students.

Mr Sofocleous, 24, from Cyprus, faced disciplinary action last month after he re-tweeted an article by The Spectator on his Twitter titled 'Is it a crime to say women don't have penises?', with the comment: 'RT if women don't have penises'.

The postgraduate philosophy and psychology student was dismissed from his position at the university after the tweet sparked outrage.

He was also fired from his position as editor of Durham University's online magazine The Bubble, and forced to resign as president of free speech society Humanist Students.

But the tweet has since sparked a row around trans rights and freedom of speech after Mr Sofocleous stood by his comment.

Standing by his tweets, Mr Sofocleous wrote: 'I may be wrong and women might indeed have penises, although I don't believe that to be the case.

'But the backlash that took place after my comments, particularly within the organisation, convinced me that, unfortunately and surprisingly, there are certain issues within the humanist movement which are undebatable.

'No effort was made, beyond name-calling, derogatory comments, and ad hominem statements, to convince me of the truth of the other side's position.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6192453/amp/Student-editor-tweeted-women-dont-penises-fired-university.html?__twitter_impression=true

Brian4Liberty
09-21-2018, 02:34 PM
forced to resign as president of free speech society

The irony.

timosman
09-21-2018, 02:44 PM
The irony.

Free speech is not meant to be offensive. I hope this is something we all can agree upon. :cool:

Dr.3D
09-21-2018, 04:52 PM
Free speech is not meant to be offensive. I hope this is something we all can agree upon. :cool:
It's only offensive if somebody wants to be offended.

Anti Globalist
09-21-2018, 05:14 PM
That university can't accept facts.

tod evans
09-21-2018, 05:32 PM
Better off not working there anyway.

Go use those free education bucks at another institute of higher learning..

oyarde
09-21-2018, 05:38 PM
It is true , real women are not packing a penis . Free speech, lol

Danke
09-21-2018, 06:04 PM
Rumor has it, HB the catcher, has one too.

phill4paul
09-21-2018, 06:09 PM
I so hope this keeps up through 2020.

Danke
09-21-2018, 06:47 PM
It is true , real women are not packing a penis . Free speech, lol

Kathoey.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DH0fUUYXcAAwxHH.jpg

Swordsmyth
09-21-2018, 07:04 PM

LOL

William Tell
09-22-2018, 07:46 AM
It's only offensive if somebody wants to be offended.

Headline next year: "Editor retweeted pigs don't have wings is fired".

William Tell
09-22-2018, 07:47 AM
The irony.

LOL this stuff is unreal.

AZJoe
09-22-2018, 08:10 AM
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41wNSK4kfhL.jpg

"In the end the Party would announce that two and two made five, and you would have to believe it. It was inevitable that they should make that claim sooner or later: the logic of their position demanded it. Not merely the validity of experience, but the very existence of external reality, was tacitly denied by their philosophy. The heresy of heresies was common sense. And what was terrifying was not that they would kill you for thinking otherwise, but that they might be right. …

The pencil felt thick and awkward in his fingers. He began to write down the thoughts that came into his head. He wrote first in large clumsy capitals:

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

Then almost without a pause he wrote beneath it:

TWO AND TWO MAKE FIVE …

He accepted everything. The past was alterable. The past never had been altered.
Oceania was at war with Eastasia. Oceania had always been at war with Eastasia.
Jones, Aaronson, and Rutherford were guilty of the crimes they were charged with. He had never seen the photograph that disproved their guilt. It had never existed, he had invented it.
He remembered remembering contrary things, but those were false memories, products of self-deception. How easy it all was! Only surrender, and everything else followed. …

He hardly knew why he had ever rebelled. Everything was easy, except——! Anything could be true. The so-called laws of Nature were nonsense. The law of gravity was nonsense. …

He presented himself with propositions—’the Party says the earth is flat’, ‘the party says that ice is heavier than water’—and trained himself in not seeing or not understanding the arguments that contradicted them. …" - George Orwell, 1984

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lfbwebsite/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/orwellquote-e1483552796629.png