PDA

View Full Version : Are Teachers Really 'Not Paid for the Work [They] Do'? Time Says Yes, Reality Begs To Differ

pcgame
09-16-2018, 03:16 PM
good article

http://reason.com/blog/2018/09/15/are-teachers-really-not-paid-for-the-wor#comment

euphemia
09-16-2018, 03:40 PM
I saw that article. That woman doesn't look like she's starving, and school benefits are usually pretty good. On a 200 day schedule, $55K would be a truckload of money. They don't really examine how fancy she lives, whether she has kids still at home, or how much the business is worth.

Rupp Arena is not open every night for events, either, so if she's picking up work there, she's not doing it every day. If she is choosing to work a second job, it's fully her choice, and it's not every day. I don't know of a school in the world that opens at 5am. Think about it.

KEEF
09-16-2018, 03:45 PM
I am a teacher with graduate degrees ontop of my bachelors. 16 year veteran, and I also have to teach night classes t the lock college too to make ends meet.

Our benefits that the article speaks about in reality are not like the benefits we teachers used to receive (which is why there is a nation wide teacher shortage)... no one wants to get into a field where you are part of a political wedge every election cycle and you cannot afford to pay your bills at a starting salary. I truly do love teaching, and the field my degrees are all in, but if I had to do it all over again, I’d get my M.D instead.

Oh, nd for the supposed “summers off,” I teach during tech summer. I had one week off this past summer.

Krugminator2
09-16-2018, 04:56 PM
I am a teacher with graduate degrees ontop of my bachelors. 16 year veteran, and I also have to teach night classes t the lock college too to make ends meet.

Our benefits that the article speaks about in reality are not like the benefits we teachers used to receive (which is why there is a nation wide teacher shortage)... no one wants to get into a field where you are part of a political wedge every election cycle and you cannot afford to pay your bills at a starting salary. I truly do love teaching, and the field my degrees are all in, but if I had to do it all over again, I’d get my M.D instead.

Oh, nd for the supposed “summers off,” I teach during tech summer. I had one week off this past summer.

First of all, the average teacher is a moron. That's just a fact. I read in one of Thomas Sowell's books that people studying to be teachers consistently rank last or second to last in academic ability at universities. And let's not act like a Master's in Education is a real degree. Secondly the average starting salary for a teacher is $38k nationwide at a job where you can't fired from even if you are a child molester. http://www.nea.org/home/2016-2017-average-starting-teacher-salary.html That's a pretty good deal for a group of people that are one step above mildly retarded.

I think I made 19k in sales my first year out of college working 80+ hours a week. Almost every entrepreneur on the planet makes less than 38k (with benefits no less) starting out. So you can live on 38k.

Teacher is a pretty cush job. You probably do what? Like two hours of actual work a day with no accountability for results? Weekends off. Only have to be at the school 8 hours or so. Can't get fired. Pension. Health insurance. If you want to make more, try starting a business. Try selling insurance. See how well that goes vs being a teacher. There is a big difference between being a doctor and teacher. I would guess .5% of teachers have the mental capacity to get into a real medical school.

spudea
09-16-2018, 05:09 PM
live within your means, if you buy a house you can't afford, have multiple kids you can't afford, live in a high tax area you can't afford, all the solutions to your problems are right in front of you. This teachers argument is as follows:

Person1: I'm mad about my pay even though I make more than half of all Americans.

Person2: Here are several solutions...

Person1: I don't want solutions, I just want to be mad!

tod evans
09-16-2018, 05:13 PM
Government problems won't be cured by government.

Get government out of all education.

kcchiefs6465
09-16-2018, 05:21 PM

Starting salary of what, 52K?

With the option of having 18 or 26 checks (being paid over the entire year or having larger paychecks during the 9 months school is in session)?

About $29 an hour?

phill4paul
09-16-2018, 05:30 PM
First of all, the average teacher is a moron. That's just a fact. I read in one of Thomas Sowell's books that people studying to be teachers consistently rank last or second to last in academic ability at universities. And let's not act like a Master's in Education is a real degree. Secondly the average starting salary for a teacher is $38k nationwide at a job where you can't fired from even if you are a child molester. http://www.nea.org/home/2016-2017-average-starting-teacher-salary.html That's a pretty good deal for a group of people that are one step above mildly retarded.

I think I made 19k in sales my first year out of college working 80+ hours a week. Almost every entrepreneur on the planet makes less than 38k (with benefits no less) starting out. So you can live on 38k.

Teacher is a pretty cush job. You probably do what? Like two hours of actual work a day with no accountability for results? Weekends off. Only have to be at the school 8 hours or so. Can't get fired. Pension. Health insurance. If you want to make more, try starting a business. Try selling insurance. See how well that goes vs being a teacher. There is a big difference between being a doctor and teacher. I would guess .5% of teachers have the mental capacity to get into a real medical school.

Being a public school teacher appeals to authoritarians. Complete control over young minds. No dissent. A narcissists dream job.

Swordsmyth
09-16-2018, 06:15 PM

It is middle and upper management/bureaucracy that is paid too much but teachers who get their pay cut or their raises cancelled so inflation eats their income.

Yet another reason for an end to government education or school vouchers.

KEEF
09-16-2018, 07:13 PM

To answer your question, I put 12 hours a day in my K-12 classroom, 5:30 am-5:30 pm and then go teach my night class at the university. My Saturday is spent with my family when it isn’t wrestling season... otherwise it is coaching long tournaments all day.

Second, tenure is gone for teachers. There is no more protection for anything regarding getting fired.

As for your retarded comment, you don’t know me nor my level of intelligence. I’ll leave it at that.

Point is, don’t paint all teachers with such a broad brush. Especially since Right to Work passed. Many of us teachers teach because we enjoy the job, without the protection from a union.

kcchiefs6465
09-16-2018, 07:15 PM
To answer your question, I put 12 hours a day in my K-12 classroom, 5:30 am-5:30 pm and then go teach my night class at the university. My Saturday is spent with my family when it isn’t wrestling season... otherwise it is coaching long tournaments all day.

Second, tenure is gone for teachers. There is no more protection for anything regarding getting fired.

As for your retarded comment, you don’t know me nor my level of intelligence. I’ll leave it at that.

Point is, don’t paint all teachers with such a broad brush. Especially since Right to Work passed. Many of us teachers teach because we enjoy the job, without the protection from a union.
What is the starting salary of a teacher in your region?

KEEF
09-16-2018, 07:16 PM
It is middle and upper management/bureaucracy that is paid too much but teachers who get their pay cut or their raises cancelled so inflation eats their income.

Totally agree. I haven’t seen a raise in years, and inflation makes things even tighter.

KEEF
09-16-2018, 07:18 PM

Totally agree. I haven’t seen a raise in years, and inflation makes things even tighter.

KEEF
09-16-2018, 07:21 PM
What is the starting salary of a teacher in your region?
35,000 and that is before the teacher pays for part of their benefits (~3000 depending on # if dependents) and then making a contribution to their retirement 403B (new teachers don’t get pensions anymore).

KEEF
09-16-2018, 07:22 PM
Starting salary of what, 52K?

With the option of having 18 or 26 checks (being paid over the entire year or having larger paychecks during the 9 months school is in session)?

About $29 an hour?
See post #14 for starting salary in my area.

Krugminator2
09-16-2018, 07:27 PM
To answer your question, I put 12 hours a day in my K-12 classroom, 5:30 am-5:30 pm

So you usually get to school at 5:30 and leave at 5:30? I'm betting against that.

As for being retarded, I went to public school. I was unimpressed with the teachers while I was there. In hindsight, my contempt for them has grown. I had maybe 3 teachers in high school who took pride in their jobs. The rest were absolutely worthless. The upside was I had a left wing teacher who put movies in all the time. And he put John Stossel's classroom videos in and Stossel won me over. The teacher was so lazy that he would rather put Stossel videos that ripped teachers than actually teach.

euphemia
09-16-2018, 08:20 PM
Aren’t those salaries negotiated by unions in most districts?

KEEF
09-17-2018, 03:21 AM
So you usually get to school at 5:30 and leave at 5:30? I'm betting against that.

As for being retarded, I went to public school. I was unimpressed with the teachers while I was there. In hindsight, my contempt for them has grown. I had maybe 3 teachers in high school who took pride in their jobs. The rest were absolutely worthless. The upside was I had a left wing teacher who put movies in all the time. And he put John Stossel's classroom videos in and Stossel won me over. The teacher was so lazy that he would rather put Stossel videos that ripped teachers than actually teach.
It is 5:17 am currently and I am just about walking out my door. I put a ton of time and pride into my job so that I put a good use to tax payer’s money.

I do this so that I don’t need to take work home with me so I can spend a little bit of time on the nights I am not teaching college classes with my three daughters before they go to bed.

KEEF
09-17-2018, 01:48 PM
Aren’t those salaries negotiated by unions in most districts?
Yes, they are. But unlike the Federal Government, blank checks cannot be written with make believe money. So often negotiating comes down to money going a raise or to cover our existing health benefits.

... it is funny how the NEA supports anyone with a D at the end of their name, yet our Cadillac-like benefits started going away when mention and rumbling of the affordable healthcare act started in Congress back in 08. Big insurance was going to make money regardless, and so costs to cover the “uninsured” just got passed to us. Premiums went up while quality went down in my Cadillac-like plan.