PDA

View Full Version : Michigan - NAFTA - Unions

anewvoice
12-12-2007, 08:25 PM
We've got Ron Paul commercials now, focusing on the NAFTA and the NAU. I suspect being in auto country, this is a good sell.

Question for anyone here, any thoughts on how to get this to the unions?

anewvoice
12-12-2007, 09:30 PM
self bump for help

boondoggle
12-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Someone help the man!

DirtMcGirt
12-12-2007, 09:37 PM
I saw a protest the other day by truckers because of nafta... can we get a commercial "truckers for ron paul"

anewvoice
12-12-2007, 09:45 PM
my buddy and I were joking aBout handing out lit at the Ambassador bridge (CA/US) but I had to figure truckers would not be anti-NAFTA receptive. You've seen otherwise?

PaleoConservative
12-12-2007, 09:50 PM
The Unions will never endorse Ron Paul just like they refused to endorse Pat Buchanan. The auto-unions are loyal democrats.

However, there are many good conservative democrats who will support Ron if they can hear this message.

Wayne County is one on.

anewvoice
12-12-2007, 09:55 PM
There's been rumor of pro-Paul rumblings within union ranks strictly because of his stance on NAFTA. Now, I'm not a huge single issue fan, but hear me out.

1) Dems killed themselves in MI, so the unions here have no voice this primary season.
2) Ron Paul has a positive stance on NAFTA in their views
3) They are not opposed to making a single issue statement.

If we could even pull 20% of the union folks here, we own Michigan.

DirtMcGirt
12-12-2007, 09:55 PM
great idea to hand out literature to truckers!!!

westmich4paul
12-13-2007, 12:09 AM
We really do not need to get the unions to support Dr. Paul. We need to get the union members to support Dr. Paul MOST UNION MEMBERS ARE JUST AS DISENFRANCHISED WITH THEIR UNIONS AS WE ARE WITH THE WHOLE pARTY ELECTED SYSTEM SO IT WILL NOT BE HARD TO CONVERT THEM.

literatim
12-13-2007, 12:15 AM
The Unions will never endorse Ron Paul just like they refused to endorse Pat Buchanan. The auto-unions are loyal democrats.

However, there are many good conservative democrats who will support Ron if they can hear this message.

Wayne County is one on.

There are no Democratic primaries in Michigan this year.

Antonius Stone
12-13-2007, 12:15 AM
there have to be more issues than just NAFTA that we can wedge them on. I'm sure that individuals within the union have strong feelings about the war and the patriot act- and Paul is tougher on those issues than any of the democrats, save Kucinich

Ksuperneau
12-13-2007, 12:35 AM
As a Teamster I can tell you the only thing we distrust more than our boss is the goverment. Our union leaders may endorse a dem but the union members will support Ron Paul. Everyone I have talked to at my job says they would vote for Dr. Paul if he is in the general election.

Oh and we all hate Hillary with a passion.

anewvoice
12-13-2007, 05:46 PM
Oh and we all hate Hillary with a passion.

Doesn't everybody? :)

Okay, if we're to target the union members themselves, what is the best way? Hand out literature before/after shifts?

JMO
12-13-2007, 05:53 PM
The best thing Michigan can do is to all switch republican for the primary and vote Paul. The democrats shirked the election process by saying we dont care about the people of Michigan, the people of Michigan have a chance to show them how they feel about that by switching. Of course that is assuming its not too late.

anewvoice
12-13-2007, 05:55 PM
Actually we don't even have to switch to vote for Ron Paul up here. You do need to "choose" a GOP or DEM ballot, but you can be a member of any (or no) party and still support Ron Paul up here.

Romney has a support base here, McCain too (no idea why this hangs around), but if we could tap into the not bothering to vote dems, we could tip another state into our column!

Yooper Jo
12-13-2007, 06:40 PM
If you have NAFTA specific ads, youtubes, etc., please direct me to any I can put on a DVD and I will burn a bunch and pass them around. The 2 main industries in the central UP are the mines and the lumber industries. The loggers are really hurting, mostly due to gas prices and NAFTA, and the miners have no use for NAFTA either.
If you want to run an ad here, I have the price structure and contact for central UP radio that will cover all of the most populated areas of the middle of the UP and will pitch in what money I can. There is really no better way to reach the UP, as people are very spread out.

M.Bellmore
12-13-2007, 06:43 PM
If you have NAFTA specific ads, youtubes, etc., please direct me to any I can put on a DVD and I will burn a bunch and pass them around. The 2 main industries in the central UP are the mines and the lumber industries. The loggers are really hurting, mostly due to gas prices and NAFTA, and the miners have no use for NAFTA either.
If you want to run an ad here, I have the price structure and contact for central UP radio that will cover all of the most populated areas of the middle of the UP and will pitch in what money I can. There is really no better way to reach the UP, as people are very spread out.

That and there is 50 feet of snow to wade through :eek:, although I went skiing at Boyne in Harbor Springs last weekend and it was great! Also, kudos to the RP supporter that put the sign on RT 131 just outside of Petoskey! There was a lone teeney Romney sign between Petoskey and Traverse City but it got wiped out by the snow.

ItDoesNotStopWithRonPaul
12-13-2007, 06:45 PM
I have reports from Michigan that Ron Paul ads were on WJR radio. I believe that is one of the biggest stations in the midwest??

ItDoesNotStopWithRonPaul
12-13-2007, 06:48 PM
From Wikipedia on WJR:

It is a clear channel station whose broadcasts can be heard throughout most of the eastern United States and Canada at night.

Apparently it is even bigger than I thought. Those ads must be pricey.

anewvoice
12-13-2007, 07:08 PM
I can confirm it on WRIF (SE MI).

Campaign MI is receiving what can only be described as a "shit ton" of NAFTA literation in the immediate term. Perhaps some could be routed that way.

Do Unions have publications that we could potentially advertise in?

Lord Xar
12-13-2007, 07:17 PM
Me and a partner are doing 800 ads in the next two weeks there. If you hear them, let me know what you think.

Also, did you get any calls over the phone - automated call recently?

atariman486
12-13-2007, 07:21 PM
Which parts of Michigan? Is this radio?

RobS
12-13-2007, 07:22 PM
I was wondering the same thing, are there union trade publications that we could advertise in?

Michigan is very winnable, I know we can do it.

Yooper Jo
12-13-2007, 07:32 PM
The snow is actually the worst part! My sign disappeared last month...somewhere under a big pile of plowed and packed snow. I will find it in May. (sigh) Can't see bumper stickers 90% of the time either.
I have not seen any signs or bumper stickers. NONE. People here do NOT have a clue who Ron Paul is. (Well, other than those I've spread the word to.) I have seen no ads, heard no ads.
I did not get a phone call from Mrs. Paul. :( The Michigan campaign people are concentrating BTB. The iron ore interferes with AM radio and I don't have a cell phone because they don't work very consistently.
The miners are in the Steelworkers union. I will check on if there is a way to advertise, though I have doubts. The guys in the woods are not union for the most part. There are some lumber and timber type monthlies, but you will capture more attention with all of them through the radio ads.

anewvoice
12-13-2007, 07:33 PM
WJR is all over the state, WRIF is in SE Michigan, yes radio.

Lord Xar - I'm excited to see/hear whatever we get. I heard one on Disney radio on XM and was all ramped up about it.

Can you share what your content is on?

RobS
12-13-2007, 07:50 PM
The snow is actually the worst part! My sign disappeared last month...somewhere under a big pile of plowed and packed snow. I will find it in May. (sigh) Can't see bumper stickers 90% of the time either.
I have not seen any signs or bumper stickers. NONE. People here do NOT have a clue who Ron Paul is. (Well, other than those I've spread the word to.) I have seen no ads, heard no ads.
I did not get a phone call from Mrs. Paul. :( The Michigan campaign people are concentrating BTB. The iron ore interferes with AM radio and I don't have a cell phone because they don't work very consistently.
The miners are in the Steelworkers union. I will check on if there is a way to advertise, though I have doubts. The guys in the woods are not union for the most part. There are some lumber and timber type monthlies, but you will capture more attention with all of them through the radio ads.

In Grand Rapids I haven't seen any other bumper stickers, but there are a decent amount of signs! Highways, houses etc.

There have been radio ads on a few different stations, the one I listen is WGRD and is the #1 rated station in the area I believe.

Yooper Jo
12-13-2007, 07:54 PM
Dean, will be listening for some ads! No automated calls to anyone I know, though most of them were democrats, so they probably weren't on any call lists.

ItDoesNotStopWithRonPaul
12-13-2007, 07:56 PM
As I said before, WJR is broadcasts very far, but is centered in Detroit area. Most of the population is south of the thumb, and most of the people are in the southeast around Detroit (not IN Detroit, it is a @hithole).

I really think Michigan can be won. The job market is horrendous right now, and Ron Paul is the only sensible candidate on the economy. With the exception of Detroit, I do not think there are huge portions of the state reliant on handouts. Farm subsidies exist, but nothing like in Iowa. I used to hear people say that Wayne County Michigan (near Detroit) was the bellweather county for the nation. Don't know how true that is now.
My friends in Michigan seem to be making good progress at least in their local circles, and we all saw the University of Michigan efforts and rallies. We need this state!

Bestboss
12-13-2007, 07:58 PM
Well I'm in the Lansing area and have been hearing the NAFTA ads on apparently several stations. That may be misleading though, as there are many stations, but few owners.
As far as the unions, I have been watching the demolition of our Oldsmobile and Fisher Body plants for some time now. The bulldozing and cleanup will probably go for another year.
So if you are after the Union employees, I think there are still some in the other plants left in the area. The car capital of the world has all but closed it's doors, from what I can see.
Back to the ads, it is refereshing to see that some progress is being made!
Bestboss

Highstreet
12-13-2007, 08:13 PM
There's been rumor of pro-Paul rumblings within union ranks strictly because of his stance on NAFTA. Now, I'm not a huge single issue fan, but hear me out.

1) Dems killed themselves in MI, so the unions here have no voice this primary season.
2) Ron Paul has a positive stance on NAFTA in their views
3) They are not opposed to making a single issue statement.

If we could even pull 20% of the union folks here, we own Michigan.

I like it!!

Highstreet
12-13-2007, 08:17 PM
As I said before, WJR is broadcasts very far, but is centered in Detroit area. Most of the population is south of the thumb, and most of the people are in the southeast around Detroit (not IN Detroit, it is a @hithole).

I really think Michigan can be won. The job market is horrendous right now, and Ron Paul is the only sensible candidate on the economy. With the exception of Detroit, I do not think there are huge portions of the state reliant on handouts. Farm subsidies exist, but nothing like in Iowa. I used to hear people say that Wayne County Michigan (near Detroit) was the bellweather county for the nation. Don't know how true that is now.
My friends in Michigan seem to be making good progress at least in their local circles, and we all saw the University of Michigan efforts and rallies. We need this state!

The Economy is quickly becoming THE issue. Paul needs to talk about his experience and leadership on this issue. That his predictions that deficit spending and Managed Trade Agreements like NAFTA are ruinging our economy are coming true, and he has the answers. He needs to start running the Bold Leader with a New Direction for America, and the Voting Record to back it up package.

boondoggle
12-13-2007, 08:22 PM
I've got a call and heard three NAFTA radio ads. :) Makes me happy.