PDA

View Full Version : Audit finds Mass. RMV issued 1,900 driver’s licenses in dead people’s names

RonZeplin
09-07-2018, 11:53 AM
Dead people, voting for Mitt Romney & Trump? It wasn't Russian hacking.

Audit finds Massachusetts RMV issued 1,900 driver’s licenses in dead people’s names (https://whdh.com/news/audit-finds-massachusetts-rmv-issued-1900-drivers-licenses-in-dead-peoples-names/amp/?__twitter_impression=true)

BOSTON (WHDH) - State Auditor Suzanne bump is blasting the oversight process at the Registry of Motor Vehicles after an audit found that the agency issued 1,905 driver’s licenses to state residents after they had died — 97 percent of which were still active — stressing that addressing the issue must be its “top priority.”

“The failure to prevent individuals from obtaining identification under the names of deceased people creates a significant public safety risk to the Commonwealth,” Bump said in a statement. “Fixing this problem must be a top priority for the RMV. Recent upgrades to the computer systems at the RMV provide it with more tools; now the agency must use them in conjunction with the data sources at its disposal to address this problem.”

According to the audit, which was announced by Bump’s office Thursday morning, 97 percent of the incorrectly issued licenses were still listed as active as of January 2018. Bump said the audit blames the RMV’s failure to properly use databases, such as the Social Security Administration’s Death Master File, to identify and deactivate licenses of dead people and to ensure new licenses are not issued in the name of a dead person.

In addition to fixing the issue with licenses being issued in dead peoples’ names, Bump is also calling on the agency to “improve its oversight of disability parking placards” after the audit found that the RMV had processed more than 10,000 requests for disability parking placards from state residents who were already dead.

“The audit notes that failure to address these problems could result in lost parking meter revenue and deprive people with disabilities of needed parking,” the statement read. “A 2016 report from the Massachusetts Inspector General’s Office found significant abuse of handicap placards in the Commonwealth.”

Click here to view the audit. (https://www.mass.gov/audit/audit-of-the-registry-of-motor-vehicles)

But hours after it was announced, the audit was shot down by the RMV, which claimed it was “outdated.”

“The Registry of Motor Vehicles rejects the findings in the Auditor’s report, especially the false claim that the RMV is issuing licenses to 1900 deceased individuals who the RMV has verified are alive,” RMV spokeswoman Jacquelyn Goddard said in a statement. “This audit is outdated, as it was conducted before the implementation of an entirely new software system which has improved management and tracking capabilities.”

dannno
09-07-2018, 11:56 AM
Dead people, voting for Mitt Romney & Trump?

https://i.imgur.com/ZXsEHZW.jpg

Schifference
09-07-2018, 12:03 PM
If a person is dead and no longer actively using a name it seems like the name should be put to good use.

RonZeplin
09-07-2018, 12:05 PM
https://i.imgur.com/ZXsEHZW.jpg

Get a second opinion.

angelatc
09-07-2018, 01:57 PM
, Bump is also calling on the agency to “improve its oversight of disability parking placards” after the audit found that the RMV had processed more than 10,000 requests for disability parking placards from state residents who were already dead.

“The audit notes that failure to address these problems could result in lost parking meter revenue

So a handicap tag gets you free parking?

oyarde
09-07-2018, 04:57 PM
So a handicap tag gets you free parking?

Ya , probably there they do not put a parking meter on those spots , LOL .

Swordsmyth
09-07-2018, 08:09 PM
Dead people, voting for Mitt Romney & Trump?

:upsidedown:The World Turned Upside Down:upsidedown:

RonZeplin
09-07-2018, 10:00 PM
:upsidedown:The World Turned Upside Down:upsidedown:

I wouldn't be surprised if the undead voted for Bill Weld & Gary Johnson too. Probably both Trump & Hillary got screwed by dead Masshole voters. :warning:

Aratus
09-07-2018, 10:42 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the undead voted for Bill Weld & Gary Johnson too.
Probably both Trump & Hillary got screwed by dead M$#@! voters. :warning:

Our politics is very BOSS HOGG or BOSS DALEY here, even though we all do have a weak
county system. The dead are enough to tilt a very tight race, or deflate a living, breathing
local total by puffing up a contender way past the point of mild interest. Yep, Irish politics.

Aratus
09-07-2018, 10:48 PM
Just read EDWIN O'CONNER's classic 1953 political novel, THE LAST HURRAH, and do keep in
mind our politics is only slightly more honest here than it was during the halcyon days when
our local PURPLE SHAMROCK, James Michael Curley, was our noble governor, Boston is very
much like Chicago. This laziness of our RMV staff could influence an election or two. Indeedy.
When I threaten to be a REFORM minded Reform Party candidate, I expect a backlash effect.

timosman
09-07-2018, 11:06 PM
Our politics is very BOSS HOGG or BOSS DALEY here, even though we all do have a weak
county system. The dead are enough to tilt a very tight race, or deflate a living, breathing
local total by puffing up a contender way past the point of mild interest. Yep, Irish politics.

We have St. Patrick's!

Aratus
09-07-2018, 11:11 PM
I might as well be truth in labeling, if I threaten to REFORM both our major parties.

RonZeplin
09-07-2018, 11:23 PM
Just read EDWIN O'CONNER's classic 1953 political novel, THE LAST HURRAH, and do keep in
mind our politics is only slightly more honest here than it was during the halcyon days when
our local PURPLE SHAMROCK, James Michael Curley, was our noble governor, Boston is very
much like Chicago. This laziness of our RMV staff could influence an election or two. Indeedy.
When I threaten to be a REFORM minded Reform Party candidate, I expect a backlash effect.

I believe that my Irish great grandmother was a Curley in Canada, not sure about the spelling though. Some moved to Boston, others are still on PEI. Missed the invite to the govs mansion somehow. :cry:

Never read the book.

specsaregood
09-08-2018, 12:01 AM
Ya , probably there they do not put a parking meter on those spots , LOL .

You can park in metered parking with a placard and not pay.