PDA

View Full Version : Trump Defies Republicans And Democrats With Shutdown Threats

Swordsmyth
09-05-2018, 06:31 PM
With the end of the federal government's fiscal year looming, President Trump is once again wielding threats of a "good" government shutdown as a cudgel to batter intransigent Democrats and Republicans who are standing in the way of his plans to build his promised wall along the US's southern border.

Here's Bloomberg (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-05/trump-flirts-with-government-shutdown-gop-is-racing-to-avoid?srnd=premium):

"On the wall, the House spending panel has backed spending $5 billion next year while the Senate has backed $1.6 billion. The House proposal, worked out in talks with the White House budget office, falls short of the total $23 billion Trump has sought."
While Congressional leaders have been lobbying Trump for months to pass a half-dozen or so spending bills before the Oct. 1 deadline, immigration hardliners in the West Wing have been encouraging Trump to stand his ground, according to Politico (https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/03/government-shutdown-congress-election-day-gop-leaders-trump-805787). The reasoning, according to the hardliners, is that funding for the wall will be effectively dead in the water if Democrats wrestle back control of Congress after the midterms - so why not press the advantage now?

For months, GOP leaders have been laying the groundwork to avoid a shutdown on Sept. 30, the end of the fiscal year and just five weeks before Election Day. Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) and even Vice President Mike Pence are already quietly lobbying Trump to postpone a shutdown fight over his border wall with Mexico until after the election, Hill and Trump administration sources say.
But any carefully laid plans could be for naught, as Trump receives contradictory advice from rival factions in the West Wing. Some White House officials are confident that Trump will sign spending bills keeping the government open.
A smaller subset of immigration hard-liners inside the White House, however, are encouraging Trump to fight on the border wall issue now, while Republicans still control Congress. These officials think the House majority is already gone — and they have encouraged Trump to hold the line for his border wall and secure a win while he can, according to multiple sources on Capitol Hill and in the administration.
Trump, along with Republican congressional leaders, is trying to set up a meeting with the Democrats next week to try and hash out some of these issues. But it's unclear how successful that might be. According to Politico, forcing a shut down would "almost certainly" cost Republicans their majority in the House. However, that analysis is based on the polling data - and as we learned in 2016, polls are sometimes wrong.

But a shutdown now would almost certainly cost Republicans their House majority. Democrats are currently favored to win the lower chamber. And GOP lawmakers are already being dragged down by Trump’s abysmal approval ratings and the criminal cases involving Paul Manafort and Michael Cohen. There’s a sense that a shutdown would be the final nail in the coffin for House Republicans.
"A shutdown’s not good for anybody, whether Republicans or Democrats," Senate Appropriations Chairman Richard Shelby (R-Ala.) said. "I want to do everything I can to avoid a shutdown."
Given Trump's unpredictability GOP leaders have been preparing for the worst-case scenario: That Trump puts his foot down and insists on the shutdown. If he does, lawmakers will have little recourse - unless they could muster the votes to override a presidential veto.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-09-05/trump-defies-republicans-and-democrats-shutdown-threats

Swordsmyth
09-07-2018, 01:33 AM
President Donald Trump said on Thursday a possible shutdown of the U.S. government over border wall funding "most likely" would not happen until after the November congressional elections.In an interview with Fox News, Trump said he had been persuaded that closing the government would hurt his fellow Republican candidates.
Trump has repeatedly threatened to shut down the government when funding runs out on Sept. 30 if the U.S. Congress does not include enough money for a wall on the border with Mexico.
He walked back that threat in the interview, which was conducted prior to a Montana rally and will be broadcast on Friday.
"Most likely I will not do that. But we are going to do it immediately after the election," Trump said.
"If it were up to me I would shut down the government over border security," he said. "But I don't want to do anything that is going to hurt us or potentially hurt us because I've got a feeling that Republicans are going to do really well in the midterms."

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-says-government-shutdown-not-likely-november-election-015824549--business.html

Aratus
09-07-2018, 03:50 AM
It won't work. Getting Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court by having a vote on Mitch McConnell's schedule
entails having GOP members not bolt the party. McConnell often has to cut deals. Any hint of a showdown on
the budget & gov't funding has the risk of folks not doing the lockstep. Everything either runs smooth or...

RonZeplin
09-07-2018, 08:54 AM
Everyone knows that President Trump loves his Big Stupid Government, and that he's lying. What a maroon.