PDA

View Full Version : Black woman ousts established Democrat in Boston vote

Swordsmyth
09-04-2018, 10:38 PM
An African American woman on Tuesday pulled off an upset victory in a Democratic primary contest against a 10-term entrenched male incumbent in Boston, the latest sign that insurgent US candidates from the left are gaining ground.Ayanna Pressley, 44, won the Democratic nomination for the US House of Representatives in Massachusetts's seventh district, one of the most left-leaning in America and which includes Harvard University.
"It seems like change is on the way," she told her cheering supporters. "Ours was truly a people-power, grass-roots campaign."

Michael Capuano, who has represented the district for 20 years, conceded defeat in a primary that few predicted he would lose, armed with an impressive party machinery and top-flight support.
"This is life and this is OK. America's going to be OK. Ayanna Pressley is going to be a good congresswoman, and I will tell you that Massachusetts will be well served," the 66-year-old said.
Winning Tuesday's primary in the safe Democratic seat puts Pressley on course to become the first African American in Massachusetts to be elected to the US House of Representatives.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/black-woman-ousts-established-democrat-boston-vote-032021213.html

enhanced_deficit
09-04-2018, 10:43 PM
Black woman ousts established Democrat in Boston vote

What was the race and gender of 'established democrat'?

For proper contrast, both parties should have their traits haedlined in same way.

Swordsmyth
09-04-2018, 10:46 PM
What was the race and gender of 'established democrat'?

For proper contrast, both parties should have their traits haedlined in same way.

White Male, Yahoo wants to emphasize the Black Woman without admitting there are White Male Demoncrats I guess.

enhanced_deficit
09-04-2018, 11:01 PM
Yahoos are a notoriously neoconish media outlet.

Aratus
09-05-2018, 02:57 AM
This leaves him free to run for governor or the senate or A.G up here...
Yes...it is an upset and yes, it's definitely worthy of the national news.

Grandmastersexsay
09-05-2018, 07:08 AM
Good. The more radical they become, the worse they'll do on the national stage.

tod evans
09-05-2018, 07:39 AM
So are citified democrats supposed to take notice that a black woman ousted an entrenched white man?

How should they react and remain politically correct?

Should republicans, libertarians, constitutions and greens take notice?

Should they be concerned about the public perception of their reaction(s) ?

How about those of us out here in flyover country, should any of us give a shit what goes on in Baltimore?

I could care less, just another urban cesspool.

juleswin
09-05-2018, 09:21 AM
So are citified democrats supposed to take notice that a black woman ousted an entrenched white man?

The citified democrats were the ones who voted for her against the establishment white man. My guess is that they have already taken notice of what they did.

How should they react and remain politically correct?

How should they react to what they did? I would suggest that they should take a wait and see attitude cos there are no guarantees when it comes to politicians. The outsider ousting an establishment pol could easily be behaving like the establishment pol in no time.

Should republicans, libertarians, constitutions and greens take notice?

Take notice of what? just say what you really have in mind. It seems like you want to say something else but PC attitude is preventing you from saying it.

Should they be concerned about the public perception of their reaction(s) ?

Why should they be concerned about their public perception of this election? Oh, I see it now, you assume those reaction would be some form of bigoted reaction because you probably think the citified dems won't approve of anyone ousting a white man. As a city slicker, I think you are wrong on this count. A lot of people are just tired of establishment people and every once in a while, they are defeated. Think Dave Brat for a good example.

How about those of us out here in flyover country, should any of us give a $#@! what goes on in Baltimore?

Baltimore? Baltimore is not in Boston. Regardless, you should think what the hell you want to think about people in Baltimore. Because nobody really cares about what you think about anything

You have expressed this sentiment 1000 and 1 times on this forum already. Yea, we get it, you don't care about the people in urban cesspools.

angelatc
09-05-2018, 09:51 AM
How about those of us out here in flyover country, should any of us give a shit what goes on in Baltimore?

It troubles me. Not because I'm a cesspool sobber, but here's what I see:

They are moving their center to the left. The next time the GOP has a Bush-level meltdown, and the country punishes the GOP by voting for Democrats, they will be able to get more progressive policies through.

angelatc
09-05-2018, 09:56 AM
Good. The more radical they become, the worse they'll do on the national stage.

The only reason they ever win the presidency is a result of the GOP screwing up. Nixon brought us Carter. GHWB brought us Clinton. GWB brought us Obama.

tod evans
09-05-2018, 10:16 AM
just say what you really have in mind. It seems like you want to say something else but PC attitude is preventing you from saying it.

Thanks for the chuckle.....

And you're correct about me mixing up cities on the right coast that start with 'B' that are known liberal meccas....Guilty as charged.

juleswin
09-05-2018, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the chuckle.....

And you're correct about me mixing up cities on the right coast that start with 'B' that are known liberal meccas....Guilty as charged.

Oh, I was hoping for more than that :(. I was actually fishing for a real response but I am glad that made u chuckle :)

tod evans
09-05-2018, 10:30 AM
Oh, I was hoping for more than that :(. I was actually fishing for a real response but I am glad that made u chuckle :)

What were you looking for?

Did you think, even for a moment, that I'd stand up for either democrats or city-dwellers?

How those people go about destroying themselves and their environment is completely up to them....

timosman
09-05-2018, 10:30 AM
It troubles me. Not because I'm a cesspool sobber, but here's what I see:

They are moving their center to the left. The next time the GOP has a Bush-level meltdown, and the country punishes the GOP by voting for Democrats, they will be able to get more progressive policies through.

Yep, a very nice setup. Hegel would be proud.

timosman
09-05-2018, 10:31 AM

Did you think, even for a moment, that I'd stand up for either democrats or city-dwellers?

How those people go about destroying themselves and their environment is completely up to them....

The problem is it will affect you pretty soon. Communists should not be given a national stage.

Brian4Liberty
09-05-2018, 10:32 AM
Pure identity politics. Not a mention of her positions on any issues or what she wants to do.

tod evans
09-05-2018, 10:35 AM
The problem is it will affect you pretty soon. Communists should not be given a national stage.

And what exactly can an old countryboy do about cityslickers electing commies?

From out here they're not worth fretting over so long as they stay put.

Brian4Liberty
09-05-2018, 10:37 AM
Yahoos are a notoriously neoconish media outlet.

Most don’t remember, but there once was a time when Yahoo featured all kinds of interesting news that was not in the standard mainstream media. But then Yahoo hired someone from the New York Times to run their news, and literally overnight, like the flick of a switch, they became a standard neoconservative and leftist propaganda outlet.

juleswin
09-05-2018, 10:40 AM
Pure identity politics. Not a mention of her positions on any issues or what she wants to do.

Just because the yahoo article doesn't mention the differences doesn't mean there isnt some differences between the two progressive candidates.

Perhaps the biggest issue where they differ is their approach to immigration reform. In June, Pressley called for Immigration and Customs Enforcement to be defunded, following the agency’s separation of immigrant families at the border. Capuano has argued that the more important issue is the administration directing ICE, rather than the agency itself, though the congressman voted against its creation in 2002.

But noting that the agency has acted controversially under other administrations, Pressley has argued that ICE is “irrevocably broken.”

“I do not think it is an agency that can be reformed from the inside-out,” she said at a recent debate.

Pressley also said she wouldn’t vote for an immigration bill that included funding for any sort of southern border wall, even if it included reforms she favored. Meanwhile, Capuano has said he’d be willing to make concessions on the wall, a pillar of President Donald Trump’s platform, in return for larger immigration reform goals.

Both candidates vigorously oppose Trump’s policies, but Pressley has also taken a more aggressive stance on the subject of removing the president from office. In their most recent debate, Capuano said that even though he voted to proceed with impeachment proceedings last year, he wouldn’t vote to indict Trump until the official House investigation was conducted. However, Pressley suggested she was already willing to vote to indict the president, saying that there’s “absolutely” enough evidence of impeachable offenses, though she struggled to name specific acts.

Beyond their particular issue-based disagreements, the crux of the race between Capuano and Pressley comes down to a debate between seniority and representation. Pressley believes the 7th District would be best served by a person of color, while Capuano believes his progressive record and experience make him better positioned to deliver results for the people he represents, no matter his own race.

“A lot of my work has also been to name the issue that no one else named — to spotlight it, to advocate for it,” she recently told The Boston Globe. “That’s where all advocacy begins. I’ve asked different questions. I’ve raised different issues.”

https://www.boston.com/news/politics/2018/08/31/ayanna-pressley-massachusetts-primary

juleswin
09-05-2018, 10:42 AM

To be fair, u should be a little concerned about what is going on in the city cos if things go to shit, it would eventually affect you living in the sticks. I might be your new neighbour :)

tod evans
09-05-2018, 11:10 AM
To be fair, u should be a little concerned about what is going on in the city cos if things go to shit, it would eventually affect you living in the sticks. I might be your new neighbour :)

You'd have to be one tough and smart SOB to make it out of the city and half way across the country....

If/when things go to shit country folks aren't going to welcome their urban brothers with open arms. The likelihood of well armed, well organized and disciplined city folk getting even 100 miles away from their turf is pretty slim...

We may be affected to an extent but we have crops, livestock and potable water and the means to keep them....

Brian4Liberty
09-05-2018, 11:56 AM
Just because the yahoo article doesn't mention the differences doesn't mean there isnt some differences between the two progressive candidates.

https://www.boston.com/news/politics/2018/08/31/ayanna-pressley-massachusetts-primary

Impeach Trump and abolish ICE. Not very original or deep.

timosman
09-05-2018, 12:23 PM

You missed the rainbows and unicorns part.

H_H
09-05-2018, 12:31 PM
Most don’t remember, but there once was a time when Yahoo featured all kinds of interesting news that was not in the standard mainstream media. But then Yahoo hired someone from the New York Times to run their news, and literally overnight, like the flick of a switch, they became a standard neoconservative and leftist propaganda outlet.
Careful, man. Don't want to insinuate anything anti-.... well, anti. Tread carefully. That's, like, forbidden ground, man. Beyond the pale. Ssshhhhhhhhh.

juleswin
09-05-2018, 12:44 PM

Maybe so, but it wasn't all identity politics at play here unlike the yahoo headline would make you believe.

timosman
09-05-2018, 12:45 PM
Maybe so, but it wasn't all identity politics at play here unlike the yahoo headline would make you believe.

Says somebody with a Che avatar. :D

H_H
09-05-2018, 12:51 PM
How about those of us out here in flyover country, should any of us give a #@$! what goes on in Baltimore?

Not saying you should care, but the basic situation for your consideration:

The Democrats are being taken over by the lunatic fringe, and thus are in the process of falling apart. They cannot remain a viable party if led by hateful minorities with chips on their shoulders and if catering entirely to perverts, minorities, and fringe people. They'll lose everyone who is not a fringe lunatic (obviously). Just for example, there used to be:

Economic leftists: Democrats were the party of the working class, looking out for the working man. Now? They smear and deride the working class as "uneducated Whites". That's an epithet to them. So.... what's their strategy there? Ha, ha: kiss that constituency goodbye.

Pro-Peace leftists: Trump's big crime of the moment is to not want to go to war with Russia and Syria bad enough. The entire Democrat establishment is 24 hours a day agitating for those wars ("but the Ukraine!111 But the gases111"). So, pro-peace leftism is no longer a thing.

So basically all these bad people whom they hate for the lack of melanin in their dermal tissues -- people who still make up 60% of the populace and 80% of voters in off-years, by the way -- are going to abandon the Dems. They may not go full gop, but they're going to lose enthusiasm to say the least. They just aren't going to get excited about voting for freaky fringe people who hate them and want to indoctrinate their kids into sexual perversion... if not outright chop their kids' genitals off.

So, increased movement to the clearly and blatantly insane and stupid is going to make the dems lose big time. They seem incapable of stopping this phenomenon, so presumably it will continue. Which is good for Trump and good for conservatism.

timosman
09-05-2018, 01:05 PM
So, increased movement to the clearly and blatantly insane and stupid is going to make the dems lose big time. They seem incapable of stopping this phenomenon, so presumably it will continue. Which is good for Trump and good for conservatism.

Their internal polling is showing it is a great strategy. They also hone their acting skills for a next blockbuster. The echo chamber can be very convincing.

juleswin
09-05-2018, 01:06 PM
You'd have to be one tough and smart SOB to make it out of the city and half way across the country....

If/when things go to $#@! country folks aren't going to welcome their urban brothers with open arms. The likelihood of well armed, well organized and disciplined city folk getting even 100 miles away from their turf is pretty slim...

We may be affected to an extent but we have crops, livestock and potable water and the means to keep them....

Look at the immigrant crisis in Europe, desperate people will travel if the right situation arises. The reason why you should care about the situation and politics in the city is that if conditions go to shit, people will travel to your home and you don't want 100s of thousands of displaced people overwhelming your small town. The crops that needs to be sold by your folks to help run the sticks would be lessened and that cannot be good for anyone.

H_H
09-05-2018, 01:09 PM
Look at the immigrant crisis in Europe, desperate people will travel if the right situation arises. The reason why you should care about the situation and politics in the city is that if conditions go to $#@!, people will travel to your home and you don't want 100s of thousands of displaced people overwhelming your small town. The crops that needs to be sold by your folks to help run the sticks would be lessened and that cannot be good for anyone.This post doesn't make any sense, and you are not even close to being able to understand why it makes no sense. So your and tod's conversation would seem to be a lost cause.

juleswin
09-05-2018, 01:11 PM
This post doesn't make any sense, and you are not even close to being able to understand why it makes no sense. So your and tod's conversation would seem to be a lost cause.

That is so anti ...., I am so hurt by your insightful analysis :(

H_H
09-05-2018, 01:13 PM
Their internal polling is showing it is a great strategy. They also hone their acting skills for a next blockbuster. The echo chamber can be very convincing.
Yeah, but I know there are many with doubts. Schumer, Pelosi, Feinstein... that system was working. They sense that sending a bunch of low IQ people who are kind of out of control and might say anything into Congress and other leadership positions is "not good plan". But... what can they do to stop it? Far from clear.

H_H
09-05-2018, 01:16 PM
That is so anti ...., I am so hurt by your insightful analysis :( Trying to get on the same page when only one party has a book; nay when only one has heard of books, is lose-lose game. Better amusements exist.

Knock knock.
Who's there?
Owls.
Owls who?
Yes, they do.

timosman
09-05-2018, 01:16 PM
Yeah, but I know there are many with doubts. Schumer, Pelosi, Feinstein... that system was working. They sense that sending a bunch of low IQ people who are kind of out of control and might say anything into Congress and other leadership positions is "not good plan". But... what can they do to stop it? Far from clear.

They are on their way out. Why would they care? Maybe it is their parting poison pill? :cool:

juleswin
09-05-2018, 01:45 PM
Trying to get on the same page when only one party has a book; nay when only one has heard of books, is lose-lose game. Better amusements exist.

Knock knock.
Who's there?
Owls.
Owls who?
Yes, they do.

Why did u even engage me when its evident that you are so above my league. I was having a good back and forth with Tod and from my estimation, it seems like he could understand what I was saying. Next time you think my input is beneath you, just ignore me. I rather you do that than try to insult me in the forum.

Please just do that next round.

H_H
09-05-2018, 02:14 PM
It seems like he could understand what I was saying.

He could. You just can't understand what he's saying. And I don't think you're going to. But, Tod could always be more explicit.....

tod evans
09-05-2018, 03:02 PM
Look at the immigrant crisis in Europe, desperate people will travel if the right situation arises. The reason why you should care about the situation and politics in the city is that if conditions go to shit, people will travel to your home and you don't want 100s of thousands of displaced people overwhelming your small town. The crops that needs to be sold by your folks to help run the sticks would be lessened and that cannot be good for anyone.

It seems as if you're assuming that 'the rule of law' as it currently exists would still function...

I on the other-hand see the collapse of cities going hand in hand with the collapse of 'the rule of law' as it sits.

Given my perspective try rereading what I wrote.

tod evans
09-05-2018, 03:16 PM
Not saying you should care, but the basic situation for your consideration:

The Democrats are being taken over by the lunatic fringe, and thus are in the process of falling apart. They cannot remain a viable party if led by hateful minorities with chips on their shoulders and if catering entirely to perverts, minorities, and fringe people. They'll lose everyone who is not a fringe lunatic (obviously). Just for example, there used to be:

Economic leftists: Democrats were the party of the working class, looking out for the working man. Now? They smear and deride the working class as "uneducated Whites". That's an epithet to them. So.... what's their strategy there? Ha, ha: kiss that constituency goodbye.

Pro-Peace leftists: Trump's big crime of the moment is to not want to go to war with Russia and Syria bad enough. The entire Democrat establishment is 24 hours a day agitating for those wars ("but the Ukraine!111 But the gases111"). So, pro-peace leftism is no longer a thing.

So basically all these bad people whom they hate for the lack of melanin in their dermal tissues -- people who still make up 60% of the populace and 80% of voters in off-years, by the way -- are going to abandon the Dems. They may not go full gop, but they're going to lose enthusiasm to say the least. They just aren't going to get excited about voting for freaky fringe people who hate them and want to indoctrinate their kids into sexual perversion... if not outright chop their kids' genitals off.

The up side to this behavior is that by and large the vast majority of democrats have made the conscious decision to clump up in their urban utopias....

When, not if, it all comes tumbling down they'll have to deal with their brethren before any of them are able to try and leave..

It'll be a mess, one I want no part of.

In the meantime if some evil republican starts insisting that they all act republicanish it'll only hasten their demise when they buck...

It all looks like one big festering boil from here, whether it pops on its own or gets lanced it's coming to a head....

H_H
09-05-2018, 03:30 PM
The up side to this behavior is that by and large the vast majority of democrats have made the conscious decision to clump up in their urban utopias....

It's biological. R-selected Rabbits like free resources. Free resources are found in the cities.

juleswin
09-05-2018, 03:36 PM
It seems as if you're assuming that 'the rule of law' as it currently exists would still function...

I on the other-hand see the collapse of cities going hand in hand with the collapse of 'the rule of law' as it sits.

Given my perspective try rereading what I wrote.

Yes, I am assuming that the rule of law exists right now. Things like speeding, murder, theft, loitering, tax evasion and a plethora of other laws in the books are still enforced. But lets for the sake of argument assume you are right and there is a breakdown of the rule of law atm, what I am saying still stands.

And that is the fact that there would be a ripple effect if there is turmoil and a real breakdown of society in the cities that would negatively affect people living in the sticks. Also, if there is something common with all animals, that something would be the ability to migrate when conditions are unlivable. It doesn't take that much skill or experience to pull off, even the soft, inexperienced city folk will learn how to travel really fast when SHTF.

tod evans
09-05-2018, 03:39 PM
Yes, I am assuming that the rule of law exists right now. Things like speeding, murder, theft, loitering, tax evasion and a plethora of other laws in the books are still enforced. But lets for the sake of argument assume you are right and there is a breakdown of the rule of law atm, what I am saying still stands.

And that is the fact that there would be a ripple effect if there is turmoil and a real breakdown of society in the cities that would negatively affect people living in the sticks. Also, if there is something common with all animals, that something would be the ability to migrate when conditions are unlivable. It doesn't take that much skill or experience to pull off, even the soft, inexperienced city folk will learn how to travel really fast when SHTF.

You'd be wise to educate yourself, I was being generous with my 100 mile estimate.

Anti Globalist
09-05-2018, 04:03 PM
You go girl. Don't let that Democratic party try to control you.

Anti Federalist
09-05-2018, 08:38 PM
Both candidates vigorously oppose Trump’s policies, but Pressley has also taken a more aggressive stance on the subject of removing the president from office. In their most recent debate, Capuano said that even though he voted to proceed with impeachment proceedings last year, he wouldn’t vote to indict Trump until the official House investigation was conducted. However, Pressley suggested she was already willing to vote to indict the president, saying that there’s “absolutely” enough evidence of impeachable offenses, though she struggled to name specific acts.

"I don't like that fucking guy" remains an un-impeachable offense.

Aratus
09-06-2018, 02:05 AM
"I don't like that $#@!ing guy" remains an un-impeachable offense.

Luv... In 1865/66 ole Andy Johnson went from a taller SCALAWAG version of what is now
Keebler ELF Johnny ca$h cute to impeachable. Her rules are akin to yesteryear's RADICAL
REPUBLICAN. Mike Capuano is a Teddy Kennedy Democrat. I think she's Pro-Bernie. I do
not cuss her out, I was actually trying to warn y'all about our RADICAL DEMOCRATs up here.