PDA

View Full Version : NAFTA talks rocked by media leak of off-record Trump comments on Canada

Zippyjuan
08-31-2018, 01:06 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/08/31/nafta-talks-rocked-by-media-leak-off-record-trump-comments-on-canada.html

A media leak of off-record comments by President Trump has roiled the high-wire negotiations with Canada over the North American Free Trade Agreement.

Trump has been trying to negotiate a new NAFTA with both trading partners. He announced Monday that he has secured a tentative deal with Mexico and said “we’ll see” if Canada can be part of the new agreement. The administration had set a deadline of Friday for a deal with Canada.

But The Toronto Star reports that it obtained comments from an off-the-record portion of an Oval Office interview between Trump and Bloomberg News. In those remarks, Trump said he ]isn’t making compromises[/U] with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s government, but isn’t going to say so publicly because “it’s going to be so insulting they’re not going to be able to make a deal.”

“Here’s the problem. If I say no, the answer’s no. If I say no, then you’re going to put that, and it’s going to be so insulting they’re not going to be able to make a deal ... I can’t kill these people,” he said of Trudeau’s government.

In another remark he did not want published, Trump said the deal would be “totally on our terms” and reportedly suggested he had tried to spook the Canadians with the threat of auto tariffs.

After the article was published, Trump slammed the media via Twitter for "BLATANTLY" violating the interview terms, while seeking to assure Canada.

"Wow, I made OFF THE RECORD COMMENTS to Bloomberg concerning Canada, and this powerful understanding was BLATANTLY VIOLATED. Oh well, just more dishonest reporting. I am used to it. At least Canada knows where I stand!" he tweeted.

On the record, Trump had told Bloomberg that a deal was “close."

"I think Canada’s going to make a deal at some point. It may be by Friday, or it may be within a period of time. But ultimately they have no choice," he said.

But then, according to The Star, he also reportedly said, “Off the record: totally on our terms. Totally.”

The comments have since made their way to Trudeau's government, causing problems for the talks.

The Star reported that they asked his administration about the remarks right before a critical meeting Friday. Further, the Star reported that Trudeau's team "saw them as confirmation of its suspicions that Trump’s team has not been truly planning to compromise" -- and raised the quotes to American negotiators at the beginning of Friday's meeting.

more at link.

phill4paul
08-31-2018, 01:08 PM
Just further proof of the fake news, anti-Trump, Pro-Swamp, M$M. No integrity. No more newz for you Bloomberg.

Zippyjuan
08-31-2018, 01:10 PM
Just further proof of the fake news, anti-Trump, Pro-Swamp, M$M. No integrity. No more newz for you Bloomberg.

Ain't fake since Trump doesn't deny saying it. He is just mad it got out.

specsaregood
08-31-2018, 01:16 PM
Ain't fake since Trump doesn't deny saying it. He is just mad it got out.

If you truly think that, you still don't understand Trump.

phill4paul
08-31-2018, 01:19 PM

Exactly. What he said will not hurt the negotiations despite the media trying to spin it up. It DID expose another C.I.A. controlled sNEWz propaganda organ.

Danke
08-31-2018, 01:20 PM

This one is just a rookie working Labor Day weekend.

timosman
08-31-2018, 01:29 PM
This one is just a rookie working Labor Day weekend.

What do they think they are doing? The old Zippy was let go, nobody knows where he is and the new army of cheers keeps cheering. :D

RonZeplin
08-31-2018, 01:42 PM
http://etruepolitics.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/loose-lips850_MORON-229x300.jpg:info:

timosman
08-31-2018, 01:45 PM
Exactly. What he said will not hurt the negotiations despite the media trying to spin it up. It DID expose another C.I.A. controlled sNEWz propaganda organ.

That was the purpose of this operation. :cool:

Swordsmyth
08-31-2018, 01:59 PM
This attempted sabotage will only hurt Trudy.

Swordsmyth
08-31-2018, 02:00 PM
http://etruepolitics.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/loose-lips850_MORON-229x300.jpg:info:

It is quite clear by now that you will never understand his style, most of his enemies never will either and that is why he wins.