PDA

View Full Version : Newsom: I’m Bringing Single Payer To Everyone In California, Regardless Of Immigration Status

timosman
08-28-2018, 07:11 PM
https://hotair.com/archives/2018/08/28/gavin-newsom-im-bringing-single-payer-everyone-california-regardless-immigration-status/

August 28, 2018

https://hotair.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Gavin-Newsom.jpg

Gavin Newsom is currently running for Governor in California and, barring something dramatic, he is going to win. So when he says he plans to bring single payer to California as Governor, there’s a very good chance he’ll get his shot. Today, Newsom appeared on the Pod Save America podcast where he was asked about his health care plans. Newsom made clear he wants a single paper system that is for everyone in the state regardless of immigration status.

“I’d like to see if we can control our own destiny,” Newsom said. He continued, “I’m not naive about it. I did universal health care when I was Mayor [of San Francisco], fully implemented regardless of pre-existing conditions, ability to pay, and regardless of your immigration status.

“San Francisco is the only universal health care system for all undocumented residents in Amerca, very proud of that. We proved it could be done without bankrupting the city. I’d like to see that we can extend that to the rest of the state.”

Asked specifically about financing, Newsom said other developed countries spent less overall on healthcare. “It’s the transition that’s the challenge,” he said, adding, “It’s going from something old to something new, where the whitewater is.”

That will indeed be a challenge. Last year an estimate of the cost of implementing single payer in California concluded it would cost $400 billion per year, or more than double the state’s current annual budget. The cost was so high that, despite the insistence of the left and the nurse’s union, a Democrat in the California Assembly shelved the proposal.

What’s really interesting about this is that earlier in this same interview, Newsom talks about homelessness in California’s major cities including San Francisco when he was mayor. “Here’s the problem though, it’s not a static number,” Newsom says. He continues, “We started with about 7,000 people on the street; we got 12,000 people off the street…there were still close to 7,000 people on the street. We did a survey, our annual surveys. One surveyed showed that over 90% of the people on the streets weren’t from San Francisco.

“So as soon as you house 2 or 3 people this dynamic population continues to challenge mayors of cities large and small.”

All of that is true and makes sense. But what does Newsom think is going to happen when he announces single payer health care regardless of immigration status? That’s going to be a huge magnet for illegal immigration from across the border but also from illegal immigrants currently spread out around the country. How is California going to pay for all of that?

Speaking of a challenge, one thing the fight over single payer last year did was convince opponents that they needed to team up to block future proposals. The Sacramento Bee reported today:

A group of influential, deep-pocketed business and health care organizations that have long helped shape the legislative agenda in California have joined forces to oppose any future effort to craft a universal, single-payer health care system for the nation’s largest state.

The main focus of the coalition, called “Californians against the costly disruption of our health care,” is to kill any single-payer health care bill in the state Legislature, said Ned Wigglesworth, a political strategist for the coalition.

“As long as proponents plan to bring this back time and again, we think it’s important to have a strong, unified presence to oppose it,” Wigglesworth said, referring to Senate Bill 562, the 2017 single-payer bill pushed by the California Nurses Association that was shelved last year by Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon.

Newsom is a talker but some of these problems he’s wading into are not going to be solved through a wonky lecture. We’ll see how far this plan actually gets when people see the costs associated with it are going to be. Here’s the interview with Newsom queued up to the discussion of single payer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V53b-46kE5E

oyarde
08-28-2018, 07:17 PM
Gavin bringing san francisco to the other Kalifornia . CalExit Now .

DamianTV
08-28-2018, 07:42 PM
How about this. You pay for Healthcare, you get Healthcare. Thats the way the Free Market works, right? You dont pay, you dont receive! Hell, I would NOT CARE if an Illegal came here, and PAID for Healthcare. End this welfare bullshit for illegals!

Mach
08-28-2018, 10:42 PM
How about this. You pay for Healthcare, you get Healthcare. Thats the way the Free Market works, right? You dont pay, you dont receive! Hell, I would NOT CARE if an Illegal came here, and PAID for Healthcare. End this welfare bullshit for illegals!

Yes, what he's really doing is putting up big billboards along the borders..... FREE PREMIUM HEALTHCARE TO ALL!

timosman
11-05-2018, 11:40 AM
https://twitter.com/shannongrove/status/1059163758394716160

enhanced_deficit
11-05-2018, 11:43 AM
What an opportunist, stealing MAGA's positions for political gains.

http://www.resourcesforlife.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/20160712tu0459-donald-trump-universal-healthcare-taxing-rich-1300x478.jpg

RJ Liberty
11-05-2018, 12:07 PM

http://www.resourcesforlife.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/20160712tu0459-donald-trump-universal-healthcare-taxing-rich-1300x478.jpg

:tears:

shakey1
11-05-2018, 12:34 PM
That's sure to get him illegal votes.

DamianTV
11-05-2018, 04:04 PM
In a Nutshell...

You want to give us money? Sure! You want to give us money in exchange for actual Health Care? Ha ha ha, thats the same as just giving us your money! Okay, give me a second to stop laughing at you! Okay okay, damn that was funny, okay, let me try another whopper and see how many people fall for it! Okay, ready? So, you want your Govt to throw a bunch of money at us so we can provide you with really expensive, dangerous, and addictive drugs that make you sick not healthy, get you so hooked that you demand someone give us even more money? Well hells yeahs! Why would we have any moral objection to taking money regardless of who it comes from?

Lets be clear here. We do not care who we take money from. We also do not care about you. We do not care if you dont pay taxes. The only thing we want is you as sick as we can make you so that someone pays for our services which do more harm than good. After all, since we dont care about any of you at all, the only thing we know is that keeping you sick is the best business model as it ensures repeat business! We expect you to blindly obey and throw lots of money at us. We are your leaders. We have no morals. We know no ethics. We expect you to believe our lies time and time again. We want you to follow our lead, and become a morally corrupted society who is willing to demand to your supposed leaders to take money from other people by force to pay for the services we provide to you, which only make you need more of our services. We own your leaders. We bought them a long time ago. Your leaders work for us. Your leaders pass laws that benefit only the most ruthless and sadistic of us, not you. Those are the leaders that you elected, so ignore the fact we rigged your elections. Its your fault. You voted. You deserve this. You are stupid. We are smart. You are disposable. We are not. You have no other value to us than to give us money and power. You are fucking doomed, and we are doing everything in our power to make it happen, you useless eaters.

/Devil's Advocate Post

eleganz
11-05-2018, 06:15 PM

Please provide a source that Trump pushed for single payer since he announced his run

enhanced_deficit
11-05-2018, 07:03 PM
Please provide a source that Trump pushed for single payer since he announced his run

I'm afraid you're misreading the post, main point was "opportunism" and not just any single position. I know I digressed a bit.

Positions can be dime a dozen for opportunist/self-serving politicians. The timeline displayed in that image clearly indicates it's from the anti-MAGA/democrts funding era, it was never claimed it was "since he announced his run" on an escalator.

Anti Globalist
11-05-2018, 07:29 PM
Calexit please.