PDA

View Full Version : Help me convert my friend

BLS
07-02-2007, 12:03 PM
My friend is a staunch Democrat. To the point where it's almost ridiculous.
I've been Ron Pauling him alot lately, and I THINK I HAVE CONVERTED HIM.

BUT....he wants to know one thing. How is Ron Paul going to pay off the deficit?
He believes that we have to tax the rich in order to pay it off, and obviously Ron's not going to do that...so he's curious what Ron's plan is.

I know about changing foreign policy, etc., but I need a good article or video that details how we would pay off the deficit.

Anybody got anything??

kimosabi
07-02-2007, 12:12 PM
Foreclosing on the Federal Reserve will fix America's money problems.

Give them what the give us, thin air...

Rocky Mtn Liberty Lover
07-02-2007, 12:18 PM
I think even though that RP believes the IRS should be abolished, that is not a realistic outcome until the budget is balanced and government spending is reduced to a point where the government no longer needs the revenue from taxes to reduce the debt level. Once debt is paid off and revenues without taxes cover all necessary government expenses, then taxes could be completely eliminated. However, in the meantime, I believe that we would see significant reductions in tax rates as progress is made on the debt and spending reductions.

ARealConservative
07-02-2007, 12:26 PM

BUT....he wants to know one thing. How is Ron Paul going to pay off the deficit?
He believes that we have to tax the rich in order to pay it off, and obviously Ron's not going to do that...so he's curious what Ron's plan is.

I know about changing foreign policy, etc., but I need a good article or video that details how we would pay off the deficit.

Anybody got anything??
Turn the tables on him.

Explain to him that 50% of us pay 96% of all taxes. (easily verifiable facts)

Ask him how we can ever hope to control spending when 50% of eligible voters can vote for increased spending and not have to pay for it.

Its a hard problem to accept. Democrats are often a part of a class warfare mentality. It is a form of jealousy that got us in this problem in the first place. The rich once upon a time funded the government almost exclusively, but that wasn't good enough I guess. In order to hit them evenharder, we had to change the rules of government. Lady Liberty is supposed to be blind, but to redistribute wealth, she couldn't be blind. So the democrats took the blindfolds off. We now ask how much people make. We increased the power of government.

So ask him how that turned out. Now a days the very tax designed to soak the rich is applied to his direct labor before he sees a dime.

Remind him that the democrats did this.

Ask him why special interest lobbiests are so influential. Make him explain in his own words what would happen to this industry if the federal government wasn't spending so much money and if lady liberty was still blind folded. Remind him that democrats did this too.

manuel
07-02-2007, 12:26 PM

Anybody got anything??

Tell him that raising the taxes on "the rich" will only slow down the economy and actually cause tax receipts to decrease or not go up as needed. So that would be counter-productive.

Also mention that Dr. Paul would eliminate many agencies and we could save a lot of money that way. Not to mention ALL the money that goes to fighting the war in Iraq and maintaining our troops overseas (in Germany, Korea, Japan, etc.).

Gee
07-02-2007, 12:27 PM
You mean pay off the debt?

The public debt isn't that huge compared to other industrialized nations. In fact, its lower than mosts'. If the deficit is reduced to near zero, the debt will decrease in size relative to GDP. So you don't have to "pay off" the debt completely, or in 4 years, in order to reduce it in size by a significant margin over a decade or two.

Social security and Medicare are bigger problems...

Original_Intent
07-02-2007, 12:28 PM
I think when the US starts making its own money they should make a single $80,000,000,0000,000 bill and give it to the Fed. Good luck getting change for that!:D

TruthLiberates
07-02-2007, 12:28 PM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul316.html

"The truth is that Congress does not need $2.7 trillion, or anything close to it, to fund the proper constitutional functions of the federal government. "

http://www.cityofgod.us/images/Cough_Up.jpg

Oddball
07-02-2007, 12:34 PM

Anybody got anything??The deficit and debt are two different things.

The deficit is the difference between outlays and income. The debt is the sum total of all present and previous deficits.

You may make some headway by going on a mutual journey to educate yourselves on and understand the nature of fiat currencies in general, and the Federal Reserve in particular. The real nut of the issue is that the federal debt cannot ever be repaid.

The best places to start for information on this topic are here:

http://www.realityzone.com/creature.html

http://www.whale.to/b/griffin3.html

jj111
07-02-2007, 12:56 PM
The first thing you do with a patient in the emergency room who is dying from a massive hemorrhage is to stop the bleeding. The bleeding is the deficit every year. Stop the bleeding first. Deal with the debt after you have first solved the problem of the deficit. Phasing out the Federal Reserve and bringing all the troops home will do more to reduce or eliminate the deficit than any other proposals from any other Presidential candidates.

Oddball
07-02-2007, 01:02 PM
I think even though that RP believes the IRS should be abolished, that is not a realistic outcome until the budget is balanced and government spending is reduced to a point where the government no longer needs the revenue from taxes to reduce the debt level. Once debt is paid off and revenues without taxes cover all necessary government expenses, then taxes could be completely eliminated. However, in the meantime, I believe that we would see significant reductions in tax rates as progress is made on the debt and spending reductions.If spending were reduced to the levels of a mere 10 years ago, there'd be no need for any income tax.

mconder
07-02-2007, 03:06 PM
"The truth is that Congress does not need $2.7 trillion, or anything close to it, to fund the proper constitutional functions of the federal government. "

This is true...reducing spending back to 2000 levels would pay off the debt in a few years. This Country would be amazingly prosperous again.

Original_Intent
07-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Another way to pay off the debt is to print constitutional money, have the populace exchange it and then dump the fed reserve notes in front of the federal reserve.

Broadlighter
07-02-2007, 03:26 PM
Another way to pay off the debt is to print constitutional money, have the populace exchange it and then dump the fed reserve notes in front of the federal reserve.

That's exactly what was proposed in the Money Masters. The Money doesn't need to have anything backing it, it just needs to be free of any association with debt obligations.

Another suggestion - make it illegal for banks to loan out money that doesn't exist on deposit.

richard1984
07-02-2007, 03:33 PM
You can watch The Money Masters here: http://ronpaulaudio.com/
Scroll way down past all of the audio files, and there's a link there to stream the film. It's really long (3 1/2 hours), but it's really good. You'll learn a lot. Including, I believe, an answer to your question.

Silverback
07-02-2007, 03:36 PM
I think when the US starts making its own money they should make a single $80,000,000,0000,000 bill and give it to the Fed. Good luck getting change for that!:D

We won't have to, that's what's so ridiculous about the fact that the Fed still exists.

There's a sunset provision in the FRA, we can take over all the assets the fed holds for about half a billion FRNs.

Oddball
07-02-2007, 03:38 PM
You can watch The Money Masters here: http://ronpaulaudio.com/
Scroll way down past all of the audio files, and there's a link there to stream the film. It's really long (3 1/2 hours), but it's really good. You'll learn a lot. Including, I believe, an answer to your question.Excellent link to an excellent movie.

Thanks. :)