PDA

View Full Version : Key Republicans Give Trump a Path to Fire Sessions After the Election

Swordsmyth
08-23-2018, 07:36 PM
Two key Republican senators signaled to President Donald Trump (https://www.bloomberg.com/billionaires/id/1252249) that he could replace Attorney General Jeff Sessions after the midterm elections in November, a move that would open the way for firing Robert Mueller or constraining his probe into Russian meddling in the 2016 election.

“The president’s entitled to an attorney general he has faith in, somebody that’s qualified for the job, and I think there will come a time, sooner rather than later, where it will be time to have a new face and a fresh voice at the Department of Justice,” Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, who may be in line to head the Judiciary Committee next year, told reporters Thursday. “Clearly, Attorney General Sessions doesn’t have the confidence of the president.”
Senator Chuck Grassley, the current Judiciary chairman, also changed his position on Thursday, saying in an interview that he’d be able to make time for hearings for a new attorney general after saying in the past that the panel was too busy to tackle that explosive possibility.

More at: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-23/graham-says-he-expects-trump-to-oust-sessions-after-elections

Zippyjuan
08-23-2018, 07:54 PM
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45286906

Jeff Sessions: US attorney general hits back at Trump

US Attorney General Jeff Sessions has responded to Donald Trump's latest attack on him by insisting that the justice department he heads will not bend to political pressure.

The apparent rebuke of Mr Trump came after the president said Mr Sessions was not in control of his department.

Mr Trump has been vociferous in his criticism of the Department of Justice.

He has been particularly riled by its handling of the inquiry into Russian interference in the 2016 election.

Mr Sessions, an early supporter of Mr Trump's campaign, has stepped aside from that inquiry to avoid a potential conflict of interest and handed control to his deputy, Rod Rosenstein.

That decision by Mr Sessions, and the ongoing progress of the inquiry under special counsel Robert Mueller - which is also reportedly now looking into whether Mr Trump has attempted to obstruct justice - have provoked frequent outbursts from the president, both in person and on his Twitter feed.

The president remains insistent that there was no collusion between his campaign and the Russian government, and denies he has attempted to obstruct justice.

After the latest exchanges, two key Republican senators signalled that they would support Mr Trump if he were to fire Mr Sessions after the November mid-term elections.

However, other Republicans told Politico they thought this would be a bad move and said they were standing by the attorney general.

What did Sessions say?

"I took control of the Department of Justice the day I was sworn in," the attorney general said in a statement.

"While I am attorney general, the actions of the Department of Justice will not be improperly influenced by political considerations.

"I demand the highest standards, and where they are not met, I take action."

He added: "No nation has a more talented, more dedicated group of law enforcement investigators and prosecutors than the United States.

"I am proud to serve with them and proud of the work we have done in successfully advancing the rule of law."

Previously, Mr Sessions had been largely non-committal following criticism of him by the president, who appears to believe that Mr Sessions should have shown him greater loyalty instead of recusing himself from the Russia inquiry.

Jeff Sessions was originally brought into the Trump campaign because of his hardline views on immigration.

A stubborn man, Mr Sessions fought for decades for anti-immigration policies. Still, he has a gentle manner. I've seen him greeting colleagues with a shy smile at White House events.

Mr Trump prides himself on never giving up, and he admires grit and determination in others - and found those traits in Mr Sessions.But now he is driving President Trump crazy. Mr Sessions is just as determined as Mr Trump is - and also refuses to back down. Only Mr Sessions is guided by a set of bedrock conservative principles, rather than the egotism and quicksilver impulses that fuel Mr Trump's tweets and, increasingly, his TV interviews.

For these reasons Mr Sessions is a formidable enemy, and the battle between these two men could be long.

Aratus
08-23-2018, 11:26 PM
A line is being drawn in the sand?

milgram
08-24-2018, 01:00 AM
The FBI dindu nuffin

Anti Globalist
08-24-2018, 04:22 PM
Should have never hired him in the first place.

Aratus
08-25-2018, 02:39 AM
Should have never hired him in the first place.

This is one way to look at it.
Sessions often snitches to the M.L
as to how Cabinet meetings go.

Swordsmyth
08-25-2018, 08:48 PM
In a pair of tweets Saturday morning, the president wrote that Sessions was allowing Mueller "and his gang of 17 Angry Dems" to have a "field day" at the Justice Department with his decision last year to recuse himself from the investigation into the Trump campaign.
"Jeff Sessions said he wouldn’t allow politics to influence him only because he doesn’t understand what is happening underneath his command position. Highly conflicted Bob Mueller and his gang of 17 Angry Dems are having a field day as real corruption goes untouched. No Collusion!" the president wrote.
Trump then quoted Sen. Lindsay Graham speaking about the possibility (https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-08-24/time-sessions-leave-senior-senate-leaders-say)of a new attorney general, suggesting that the president may be considering Sessions' firing.
“Every President deserves an Attorney General they have confidence in. I believe every President has a right to their Cabinet, these are not lifetime appointments. You serve at the pleasure of the President," Trump added, quoting Graham.

Jeff Sessions said he wouldn’t allow politics to influence him only because he doesn’t understand what is happening underneath his command position. Highly conflicted Bob Mueller and his gang of 17 Angry Dems are having a field day as real corruption goes untouched. No Collusion!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 25, 2018 (https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1033332301579661312?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw)
.@LindseyGrahamSC (https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw) “Every President deserves an Attorney General they have confidence in. I believe every President has a right to their Cabinet, these are not lifetime appointments. You serve at the pleasure of the President.”
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 25, 2018 (https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1033334753003536384?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw) Trump's criticism of Sessions had escalated in recent days after the guilty verdicts handed down in the trial of Paul Manafort and the guilty plea from Trump's former attorney, Michael Cohen. In a rare statement on Thursday, Sessions appeared to rebuke Trump and pledged to remain untainted by political bias in his work at the agency. “While I am Attorney General, the actions of the Department of Justice will not be improperly influenced by political considerations. I demand the highest standards, and where they are not met, I take action,” Sessions said.
It is unclear if Trump will fire his Attorney General; some media reports are suggesting that Trump may certainly try to do so, although probably not before the midterm elections.
Trump then continued the attack on Twitter, and referenced a recent report (https://saraacarter.com/majority-of-clinton-related-emails-on-weiners-laptop-never-examined/)by investigative journalist Paul Sperry according to which FBI Director James Comey was incorrect when he told Congress that the bureau had “reviewed all of the communications” from top Clinton aide Huma Abedin on her disgraced husband, and in fact "a technical glitch prevented FBI technicians from accurately comparing the new emails with the old emails. Only 3,077 of the 694,000 emails were directly reviewed for classified or incriminating information."
Citing Fox News, Trump tweeted that “The FBI only looked at 3000 of 675,000 Crooked Hillary Clinton Emails.” They purposely didn’t look at the disasters. This news is just out."
He then predicted that "we will soon be getting to the bottom of all of this corruption" involving "tens of thousands of Crooked Hillary Emails, many of which are REALLY BAD" and warned that "At some point I may have to get involved!"

Big story out that the FBI ignored tens of thousands of Crooked Hillary Emails, many of which are REALLY BAD. Also gave false election info. I feel sure that we will soon be getting to the bottom of all of this corruption. At some point I may have to get involved!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 25, 2018 (https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1033339636343549952?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw) "The FBI looked at less than 1%” of Crooked’s Emails!" Trump concluded.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-08-25/trump-i-may-have-get-involved-jeff-sessions-doesnt-understand-what-happening

Aratus
08-25-2018, 09:43 PM
A line is being drawn in the sand?

A line is being drawn in the sand.

AuH20
08-26-2018, 11:43 AM
Trump may have to go '4 deep' in order to cleanse the DOJ at the top. Reince Preibus deceived him by presenting a succession realignment document that Trump foolishly signed.

By signing this Trump changed the traditional succession model by entirely bypassing the Solicitor General, who is typically third in succession behind the Deputy AG (Rosenstein) and the current AG (Sessions). Three lawyers that reside in D.C. and Texas were then bumped up ahead of the solicitor general position.

Aratus
08-26-2018, 03:44 PM
If he now rewards JEFF SESSIONS with a new job that has a similar salary an' level of quiet dignity to it,
he can get what he wants, the hack, the doormat willing to totally ruin a rising political career by doing
the firings needful to position things to fire Robert Mueller. JEFF SESSIONS held back, fearful of the vast
political firestorm that stands to erupt in short order. A clock is ticking down. A line is drawn in the sand.
DONALD TRUMP wants this confrontation. Unless he sweetens and sugar coats the letting go of the A.G
all becomes a widening gyre of chaos and lost momentum. All along, he has tried to stonewall Mueller.
Wheat from chaff. Politics makes strange bedfellows. M.L Mitch McConnell is still in his corner, happily.

eleganz
08-26-2018, 05:18 PM
Sessions is completely cucked, I'm thinking blackmail.

timosman
08-26-2018, 05:40 PM
If he now rewards JEFF SESSIONS with a new job that has a similar salary an' level of quiet dignity to it,
he can get what he wants, the hack, the doormat willing to totally ruin a rising political career by doing
the firings needful to position things to fire Robert Mueller. JEFF SESSIONS held back, fearful of the vast
political firestorm that stands to erupt in short order. A clock is ticking down. A line is drawn in the sand.
DONALD TRUMP wants this confrontation. Unless he sweetens and sugar coats the letting go of the A.G
all becomes a widening gyre of chaos and lost momentum. All along, he has tried to stonewall Mueller.
Wheat from chaff. Politics makes strange bedfellows. M.L Mitch McConnell is still in his corner, happily.

Very exciting news! :cool:

enhanced_deficit
08-26-2018, 07:21 PM
“The president’s entitled to an attorney general he has faith in, somebody that’s qualified for the job, and I think there will come a time, sooner rather than later, where it will be time to have a new face and a fresh voice at the Department of Justice,” Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, who may be in line to head the Judiciary Committee next year, told reporters Thursday. “Clearly, Attorney General Sessions doesn’t have the confidence of the president.”
Senator Chuck Grassley, the current Judiciary chairman, also changed his position on Thursday, saying in an interview that he’d be able to make time for hearings for a new attorney general after saying in the past that the panel was too busy to tackle that explosive possibility.

Two of the biggest anti-swamp Senators America has produced. Definitely they are key Republicans.

Aratus
08-26-2018, 09:29 PM
Very exciting news! :cool:

Two of the biggest anti-swamp Senators America has produced. Definitely they are key Republicans.

Lindsey Graham was a close friend to John McCain. Chuck Grassley has seniority & clout. Mitch McConnell does not usually act like a total Dixiecrat, but I think he knows how to communicate to Jeff Sessions, in that J.S seems like a throwback to the guy who had his day job a century ago, A.G Palmer, who was J.Edgar Hoover's immediate boss during WW1. Having Jeff Sessions agree to moving laterally over in the Trump Administration flowchart gives POTUS wiggle room, he wants to replace the guy who has been 95% loyal with someone who is 100% loyal. Donald Trump is hunting around for his answer to G.Gordon Liddy. He wants the next A.G to give it his all, and not act hesitant.

timosman
08-26-2018, 09:31 PM
Lindsey Graham was a close friend to John McCain. Chuck Grassley has seniority & clout. Mitch McConnell does not usually act like a total Dixiecrat, but I think he knows how to communicate to Jeff Sessions, in that he seems like a throwback to he guy who had his day job a century ago, A.G Palmer, who was J.Edgar Hoover's immediate boss during WW1. Having Jeff Sessions agree to moving laterally over in the Trump Administration flowchart gives POTUS wiggle room, he wants to replace the guy who has been 95% loyal with someone who is 100% loyal. Donald Trump is hunting around for his answer to G.Gordon Liddy. He wants the next A.G to give it his all, and not act hesitant.

So what is stopping Sessions from being fully committed? :confused:

Aratus
08-26-2018, 09:33 PM
A.G John Mitchell served Richard M. Nixon to a high degree of loyalty, and actually went to prison for him.

timosman
08-26-2018, 09:36 PM
A.G John Mitchell served Richard M. Nixon to a high degree of loyalty, and actually went to prison for him.

Did he have to lie?

Aratus
08-26-2018, 09:38 PM
So what is stopping Sessions from being fully committed? :confused:

He remembers the Watergate era. He senses it all to be a can of worms.
Before he was tapped for A.G he had a secure senate seat, he was thinking
of retirement. He still has an uncomplicated retirement as a goal. If all in D.C
is political, Sessions is guilty of playing things safely into Mitch McConnell's
corner. A.G Sessions is old school. Trump is furious at his dodging tasks.

Aratus
08-26-2018, 09:39 PM
Did he have to lie?

He is said to have loyally helped his president with the cover-up and served time, thusly.

Aratus
08-26-2018, 09:42 PM
Did he have to lie?

Yes, the tapes helped to prove that John Mitchell was not totally honest. Yes, he lied.

Aratus
08-26-2018, 09:45 PM
In that Richard M. Nixon may have lied to the American people and perhaps A.G John Mitchell
chose to lie to the public at large in an attempt to save RMN's presidency, he was 100% loyal.

Aratus
08-26-2018, 09:46 PM
We all know Jeff Sessions has chosen to not be as loyal as John Mitchell was.

timosman
08-26-2018, 09:49 PM
We all know Jeff Sessions has chosen to not be as loyal as John Mitchell was.

I thought he was supposed to do what's right? :cool:

Aratus
08-26-2018, 09:53 PM
I thought he was supposed to do what's right? :cool:

Evidently being ethical, moral, correct & quite right about things has him questioning the wisdom
of some of the things he was asked to do. Google MARTHA MITCHELL and see if you can find the
interview she did for David Frost in the mid-1970s. Again, I know why DJT is furious at his A.G!!!