PDA

View Full Version : UT: Code Enforcement Officer Shot, Killed

angelatc
08-11-2018, 10:24 PM
Link to the news story: https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900027580/1-dead-after-fire-gunshots-erupt-at-west-valley-home-authorities-say.html

Link to a Reddit post from the relative of a neighbor: https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/96j127/sisters_neighbor_shot_a_code_enforcement_office/?st=jkqcbct8&sh=84acda38

Guy goes to neighbor's house, accuses neighbor of calling the county over the mess in his yard. Neighbor denies it, of course. County Code Enforcement Officer shows up. Guy shoots and kills her, then cuts through a chain link fence and sets Neighbor's house on fire.

Posted without comment. Anti Federalist

pcosmar
08-11-2018, 10:29 PM
Keep Phucking with people..

I can not muster any sympathy at all for a Code Enforcer. Too many encounters and lost funds.

even sadder is knowing that she will be replaced with another authoritarian evil doer.

angelatc
08-11-2018, 10:35 PM
Keep Phucking with people..

I can not muster any sympathy at all for a Code Enforcer. Too many encounters and lost funds.

even sadder is knowing that she will be replaced with another authoritarian evil doer.

THey'll start arming them.

RonZeplin
08-11-2018, 10:36 PM
No sympathy for the burned out neighbor who initiated aggression via hired gov goons.

Stupid mofo should have minded his own business.

pcosmar
08-11-2018, 10:39 PM
THey'll start arming them.

They do.. The bastards I dealt with were armed.

and I was under supervision so I HAD to be nice.

angelatc
08-11-2018, 10:42 PM
No sympathy for the burned out neighbor who initiated aggression via hired gov goons.

Doesn't even look that messy. Here's a pic. The biggest pile of char is the garage. The house on the same lot is in the front, and the neighbor's "cluttered" house is on the right. Note that he also torched her truck. That's her on the ground, under the sheet.

https://media.deseretdigital.com/file/d204626283?crop=top:0|left:0|width:1280&quality=100&resize=width:1280&order=resize,crop&c=14&a=06e55b86

pcosmar
08-11-2018, 10:48 PM

There is one in every neighborhood..sometimes whole HOAs full of them.

TheCount
08-11-2018, 11:38 PM
Doesn't even look that messy. Here's a pic. The biggest pile of char is the garage. The house on the same lot is in the front, and the neighbor's "cluttered" house is on the right. Note that he also torched her truck. That's her on the ground, under the sheet.
The "clutter" is probably the boat and the trailer; too many places have rules that against things like that.

UWDude
08-12-2018, 12:05 AM
ROTFLMAO

Anti Federalist
08-12-2018, 12:35 AM
This was probably years in the making...low level nagging, harassment and pestering.

You can only push so far...multiply by 50 million or so...

asurfaholic
08-12-2018, 07:23 AM
I don’t share the same views expressed here. I’m in the processes right now of losing thousands of dollars on a job due to a over zealous code enforcement officer. I wouldn’t in a million years wish harm on this person.

There’s got to be a better way to express discontent with government intervention in these type situations. That was just a woman doing her job. Don’t like living where there are building codes and the such, move out in the boobies where you are less likely to encounter that.

tod evans
08-12-2018, 08:08 AM
I don’t share the same views expressed here. I’m in the processes right now of losing thousands of dollars on a job due to a over zealous code enforcement officer. I wouldn’t in a million years wish harm on this person.

There’s got to be a better way to express discontent with government intervention in these type situations. That was just a woman doing her job. Don’t like living where there are building codes and the such, move out in the boobies where you are less likely to encounter that.

Codes/laws/edicts all demand enforcement paid for with tax dollars.

The goal of any small government person should be to reduce all of this enforcement down to bare-bones, ie; she never should have had a "job" in the first place.

I'll never understand cities or those who choose to dwell in them....

oyarde
08-12-2018, 10:31 AM
Well , I am only going to say that it looks like those houses are about nine feet apart . Not very ideal to avoid this .

angelatc
08-12-2018, 10:52 AM
This was probably years in the making...low level nagging, harassment and pestering.

You can only push so far...multiply by 50 million or so...

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900027722/police-suspect-in-killing-said-code-officer-got-what-she-deserved.html

"After 40 years of harassment, the (woman) got what she deserved," Billings allegedly said while standing in his driveway, according to the report.

angelatc
08-12-2018, 10:55 AM

I used to share that sentiment. But they also come to the boonies. They will never stop coming. I don't have it in me to kill people, but there's not a single part of me that feels any remorse over her death.

Brian4Liberty
08-12-2018, 12:20 PM
The neighbors, Stephanie Sheen and Ryan Luke, escaped their burning home, but it was declared a total loss and their six dogs and two cats died in the fire.
On Friday, both Luke and Sheen tearfully remembered their pets as their "children."

"They were so special, every single one of them,” said Sheen, who is a veterinarian.
"I'm finding how sick this person was. I mean, it’s mental illness. He was a hoarder. It had nothing to do with us.
Luke said neither he nor his wife had ever called the city about Billings, they never had any dispute with him and had hardly even spoken with him.

"I’ve spent a total of four minutes speaking with that man in four years,” he said.

But when Robinson [code enforcer] showed up about a week ago, she asked Luke if she could use his backyard to look into Billings' yard.

Later, Billings approached Sheen while she was in her driveway and accused her of working for the city and turning him in.

Murder and arson by a crazy person.

Brian4Liberty
08-12-2018, 12:22 PM

+rep.

And where do you find these “boobies”? :D

angelatc
08-12-2018, 01:01 PM
Murder and arson by a crazy person.

He should have burned his own house down so the victims won't get any value from it, either.

TheTexan
08-12-2018, 02:14 PM
There’s got to be a better way to express discontent with government intervention in these type situations.

There is.

It's called voting.

Jan2017
08-12-2018, 02:45 PM

Code enforcer lady wants to use neighbor's backyard to look into the guy's backyard (any probable cause -NO)

when Robinson [code enforcer] showed up about a week ago, she asked Luke if she could use his backyard to look into Billings' yard.

If neighbor says no, to this presumed unreasonable and warrantless search request by the code enforcer the prior week, this doesn't happen.

Code enforcer kinda violated the guy's 4th Amend. rights to a search - kinda definitely.
It may not be a criminal violation she was looking for at first . . . everyone knows that is what it turns out to be often enough,
but 4th Amend. protection probably/should include any government fiduciary/fine type situation as well I'd think.

Zippyjuan
08-12-2018, 02:52 PM
Guy in a walker caused all that mess?

Brittan Keane, who was on the street at the time of the incident, said he saw a man in a blue shirt with a walker make his way behind a white utility truck covered in flames.

"He came across and walked behind the truck, and I was like, 'He's going to get burned, oh my gosh, oh my gosh' — pulls out a gun and shoots her," Keane said.

Police officers who saw smoke and responded to the fire arrived to find Robinson had been shot. Billings surrendered in the driveway when police arrived and drew their weapons, Elson said.

described the neighbor as paranoid and "not mentally well."

Code officers are responsible for addressing violations of city code that deal with property upkeep, abandoned vehicles and other nuisances, he added. After a warning, a code officer can issue a notice, and if the problem still is not fixed in a certain timeframe, the issue goes to court.

"They are unarmed, and they are civilians," Johnson said, adding they generally are very skilled in dealing with different types of people. If someone becomes hostile and the officers need help, the city advises them to leave and call police, he said.

RJB
08-12-2018, 04:14 PM
...described the neighbor as paranoid...

But when Robinson [code enforcer] showed up about a week ago, she asked Luke if she could use his backyard to look into Billings' yard.

He literally had government workers looking in from his neighbors back yard. It ain't paranoia if they are out to get ya.

Anti Federalist
08-12-2018, 04:33 PM

No, there really isn't it.

If the local government decides it's got it's horns out for you, there is really little you can do, as you yourself are finding out.

Other than leaving...and some people are not willing to that.

Is it her "job" to systematically harass somebody over a 40 year span?

And out "in the sticks" only makes it more likely, as you are an isolated target.

Just ask this guy. (https://www.amazon.com/Ballad-Carl-Drega-Freedom-Movement/dp/0967025923)

This is not the first time, and it won't be the last.

angelatc
08-12-2018, 04:48 PM
"333 and they are civilians," Johnson said, adding they generally are very skilled in dealing with different types of people.

What the holy hell does that even mean?

Swordsmyth
08-12-2018, 06:33 PM

This whole issue is a tangled mess where everyone is wrong, no decent person would take a code enforcement job and if they did they would be lenient and not work very hard at it, murder and arson are wrong but our current society gives people no recourse but to submit to the tyranny of those who target them, apparently the people who lost their house didn't start the trouble but they allowed the ferret to use their yard to spy on the target.

While the countryside often has less micromanaging that is not guaranteed, if you can't arrange your life to allow you to move to a less tyrannical state/county you may be no better off than in the heart of the city.

Danke
08-12-2018, 06:41 PM

They are not military...

asurfaholic
08-12-2018, 06:48 PM
It’s just a whole bunch of shooting the messenger. Meanwhile I bet all these morons voted for authoritarians themselves.

Nobody wants to admit that they had a hand in creating the problem.

It was just an inspector. She didn’t make the rules. She wasn’t violating anyone’s rights, disagree all you want. Nothing good is going to come from her laying under a sheet, leaving a grieving family behind.

You can be anti government without being bloodthirsty for the death of anyone who works for the government.

I won’t celebrate a scumbag off his meds killing another human who was not actively threatening his life.

Nothing good comes of this. Now the inspectors are going to show up armed.

Anti Federalist
08-12-2018, 07:04 PM

Cops like to think they are not civilians as well.

Anti Federalist
08-12-2018, 07:07 PM
It’s just a whole bunch of shooting the messenger. Meanwhile I bet all these morons voted for authoritarians themselves.

Nobody wants to admit that they had a hand in creating the problem.

It was just an inspector. She didn’t make the rules. She wasn’t violating anyone’s rights, disagree all you want. Nothing good is going to come from her laying under a sheet, leaving a grieving family behind.

You can be anti government without being bloodthirsty for the death of anyone who works for the government.

I won’t celebrate a scumbag off his meds killing another human who was not actively threatening his life.

Nothing good comes of this. Now the inspectors are going to show up armed.

I don't think anybody is "celebrating".

Just making a simple statement of fact...petty government functionaries that harass and pester people for years on end are liable to get shot when then harass and pester the wrong person.

Swordsmyth
08-12-2018, 07:09 PM
They are not military...

But it is meant to imply that regular Kops are.

VIDEODROME
08-12-2018, 07:27 PM
I agree with asurfaholic that killing the messenger is wrong.

This was apparently because the guy didn't like being nagged by the city to clean up his yard. I don't have sympathy for this guy if he murdered someone because he couldn't be bothered to weed his yard.

https://apnews.com/bde88b80d72147859f5d6a7a4d621ef2

asurfaholic
08-12-2018, 07:56 PM
Murder is murder and any defender of liberty should err on the side of the right to life before anything else. I know nobody is celebrating but what’s the difference between a man killing his wife because she nags him too much and a man who kills a city employee because the city nagged him?

murder is murder. The only justification for killing someone is to protect your own or someone else’s life.

pcosmar
08-12-2018, 08:00 PM

This was apparently because the guy didn't like being nagged by the city to clean up his yard. I don't have sympathy for this guy if he murdered someone because he couldn't be bothered to weed his yard.

40 years of phucking with..

And I saw the property,, not overgrown.. nor trash visible despite complaints.

I was still getting phucked with after I sold it and moved out of state..
Code Enforcement are the low life of Authoritarians.

pcosmar
08-12-2018, 08:02 PM
murder is murder. The only justification for killing someone is to protect your own or someone else’s life.

Justifiable homicide is any homicide that is Justified.

apparently he was threatened.

angelatc
08-12-2018, 08:10 PM

Whose yard?

angelatc
08-12-2018, 08:11 PM

Therein lies the difference. I believe in property rights as well.

Jan2017
08-12-2018, 09:09 PM
Was the code enforcer just "doing her job" the prior week with the warrantless backyard search
in violation of the 4th Amendment of these United States (?) Is that why she died (?)

https://s26.postimg.cc/vuyfn7s3t/george02a.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

TheTexan
08-12-2018, 09:35 PM

Exactly. She was just an innocent person trying to make an honest living.

Weed his yard, fix his gutter, make sure his fence is the right height, and make sure its not too close to or too far from from the sidewalk. It's a shame that this code enforcer died, but at least she died making the world a better place. A hero.

Danke
08-12-2018, 09:47 PM
Murder is murder and any defender of liberty should err on the side of the right to life before anything else. I know nobody is celebrating but what’s the difference between a man killing his wife because she nags him too much and a man who kills a city employee because the city nagged him?

They use to hang horse thieves. why, because depriving a man of his horse could mean death without the means to provide for himself and family.

Now, does this breach that criteria? Most likely not. But the agents the governments are sending out to do similar acts are in fact depriving free individuals of their property. A hallmark of liberty, to own property.

How do you get those working for governments confiscating property to stand down? Voting? Armed rebellion might just be more effective.

Time will tell, if this is an isolated incidence, probably they will go about their business and collect from the productive class of taxpayers and receive a nice pension at an early age, that most taxpayers can only dream of.

"Just doing my job" has not been a defense since the Nuremberg trials.

TheTexan
08-12-2018, 09:52 PM
Armed rebellion might just be more effective.

Reported.

Danke
08-12-2018, 09:55 PM
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance."

Declaration of Independence.

Swordsmyth
08-12-2018, 09:55 PM
They use to hang horse thieves. why, because depriving a man of his horse could mean death without the means to provide for himself and family.

Now, does this breach that criteria? Most likely not. But the agents the governments are sending out to do similar acts are in fact depriving free individuals of their property. A hallmark of liberty, to own property.

How do you get those working for governments confiscating property to stand down? Voting? Armed rebellion might just be more effective.

Time will tell, if this is an isolated incidence, probably they will go about their business and collect from the productive class of taxpayers and receive a nice pension at an early age, that most taxpayers can only dream of.

"Just doing my job" has not been a defense since the Nuremberg trials.

You take my house when you do take the prop
That doth sustain my house. You take my life
When you do take the means whereby I live.

W. Shakespeare

Danke
08-12-2018, 09:57 PM
Reported.

I think Taxass should be a free and independent State.

TheTexan
08-12-2018, 10:00 PM
I think Taxass should be a free and independent State.

Maybe if Hillary ever gets elected

asurfaholic
08-13-2018, 11:00 AM
Did she violate the property rights, or did he have a screw loose and go apeshit when someone called the building department or whatever?

asurfaholic
08-13-2018, 11:02 AM
Exactly. She was just an innocent person trying to make an honest living.

Weed his yard, fix his gutter, make sure his fence is the right height, and make sure its not too close to or too far from from the sidewalk. It's a shame that this code enforcer died, but at least she died making the world a better place. A hero.

Lol
Always good for a chuckle

Brian4Liberty
08-13-2018, 11:27 AM

https://apnews.com/bde88b80d72147859f5d6a7a4d621ef2

This particular code enforcer was only employed there for 10 years, no way to know how long she had dealt with the crazy guy. His history goes back much further.

Robinson was remembered as a mother, grandmother and dedicated employee who loved softball. She had worked for the city for 10 years.
Court records show Billings had a history of code enforcement charges dating back decades.

After several months of prodding by the city, he pleaded guilty in 1992 to misdemeanor weed-control and bulky waste-accumulation charges and agreed to clean up his house. Five years later, a judge signed an order allowing the city to clean up waste they said was obstructing the view of the street.

Yeah. Let’s blame the neighbors. Wonder if the crazy neighbor was disclosed in the sales contract?

The neighbors whose home Billings is accused of burning down had lived there less than a year...

Brian4Liberty
08-13-2018, 11:32 AM
Did she violate the property rights, or did he have a screw loose and go apeshit when someone called the building department or whatever?

If the house had been sold within the past year, you would assume that the prior owner had pushed the issue of at least cleaning the front yard of the neighbor so that their house could be sold. This code enforcer had probably been involved in that, and had come by to check the status.