PDA

View Full Version : Trump administration slaps more sanctions on Russia after Skripal poisonings

juleswin
08-09-2018, 08:15 AM
By Eli Watkins and Nicole Gaouette, CNN

Updated 6:36 AM ET, Thu August 9, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRm4oMlkvh8

Washington (CNN)The Trump administration will impose more sanctions on Russia under a chemical and biological warfare law following the poisoning of a former Russian agent and his daughter in the UK earlier this year, the State Department announced Wednesday.

In a statement Wednesday, State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said the US had made this decision on Monday, and accused Russia of violating international law. The statement anticipated the sanctions would go into effect around Aug. 22 in line with the Chemical and Biological Weapons Control and Warfare Elimination Act of 1991.
Sergei Skripal, a former Russian spy, and his daughter Yulia Skripal were hospitalized and treated for a nerve-agent attack in March. Yulia Skripal was discharged from the hospital in April, and her father was discharged in May.
The State Department notified Congress on Wednesday of the first of two potential tranches of sanctions required under the 1991 law. Unless Russia takes certain steps, a second set of penalties -- more stringent than this first round -- must follow, according to the law.

The first set of sanctions targets certain items the US exports to Russia that could have military uses -- so-called dual use technologies. These are sensitive goods that normally would go through a case-by-case review before they are exported. With these sanctions, the exports will be presumptively denied.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/08/politics/us-state-department-russia-sanctions/index.html

Posting this for the people who still think the Trump admin is trying to prevent WWIII, because we all know that sanction is the best way to prevent military confrontation, amiright?

And look, there could be more sanctions down the road, this seems like the first step to more hostilities with Russia. All this done while Rand is in Russia delivering a letter of goodwill. Talk about shyting in Rand's face while he is busy trying to "help" the admin.

juleswin
08-09-2018, 09:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VwyiSc0srk

More analysis of the new Russian sanctions. Now Russia have to prove to the Americans that they did not carry out the poisoning and also open up their facilities to inspections like they are some third world brown country and if not, here comes more sanctions from the Trump admin.

Good to see Rand is in Trump ear and doing his best at preventing WWIII. He is def not embarrassing himself right now :rolleyes:

dannno
08-09-2018, 10:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr7CIpp7Mec

juleswin
08-09-2018, 10:31 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr7CIpp7Mec

SMDH, the I really hope Ron Paul was not responsible for the title of this video cos the title is giving this communist the sadz. Pompeo slaps major sanctions on Russia? come one now. It wasn't Pompeo who said it is likely Russia that carried out the attack a couple of days after the alleged attack, it wasn't Pompeo who nominated the man and helped push his confirmation. Regardless Trump is responsible for the sanction and not Pompeo, stop treating Trump like he is spineless puppet who has zero control of his admin.

This is why you trust principles and never people.

dannno
08-09-2018, 10:41 AM
SMDH, the I really hope Ron Paul was not responsible for the title of this video cos the title is giving this communist the sadz. Pompeo slaps major sanctions on Russia? come one now. It wasn't Pompeo who said it is likely Russia that carried out the attack a couple of days after the alleged attack, it wasn't Pompeo who nominated the man and helped push his confirmation. Regardless Trump is responsible for the sanction and not Pompeo, stop treating Trump like he is spineless puppet who has zero control of his admin.

This is why you trust principles and never people.

Ron Paul was being more accurate and specific, it was Pompeo. If Pompeo to you means Trump is responsible, great, that's what that means to you.

AuH20
08-09-2018, 10:51 AM
Trump, despite the false bravado, is not a courageous person. While he probably agrees with Rand personally on a host of issues, he's scared of the Deep State apparatus that bosses him around. That's why he's done relatively nothing to fight back against the DOJ and FBI in their ridiculous witch-hunt.

juleswin
08-09-2018, 10:54 AM
Ron Paul was being more accurate and specific, it was Pompeo. If Pompeo to you means Trump is responsible, great, that's what that means to you.

I have read a half dozen articles about this sanction and I have yet to see one writer claim this was Pompeo's sanctions. This is one is on Trump and him alone, I do not care for Trump but I believe you belittle the man and his title as the commander in chief by claiming it is his subordinate that is responsible for this sanction.

Like I said earlier, for Ron Paul's sake, I really hope the title for this live vlog was crafted by a subordinate.

dannno
08-09-2018, 11:02 AM
I have read a half dozen articles about this sanction and I have yet to see one writer claim this was Pompeo's sanctions.

This is what I was thinking of:

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo signed off on a determination that Russia violated international law by poisoning the former spy, Sergei Skripal, and his daughter in March, officials said, a decision that was announced Wednesday afternoon by State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-administration-hit-russia-new-sanctions-skripal-poisoning-n898856

I have a hard time believing Trump is really involved in any of this.

juleswin
08-09-2018, 11:04 AM
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-administration-hit-russia-new-sanctions-skripal-poisoning-n898856
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Was he the only one to sign off on it and do you really believe if Trump was against it, he would still sign off on it? I read that article and that wasn't the conclusion I got from it.

dannno
08-09-2018, 11:04 AM
This is what I was thinking of:

I have a hard time believing Trump is really involved in any of this.

And as per usual, I am proven correct:

Pompeo Oversells Trump’s Enthusiasm for Sanctions on Russia

Mike Pompeo, the secretary of state, played up the administration’s sanctions against Russia during a Senate hearing. But they were issued under a law that the president criticized and tried to water down.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/25/us/politics/fact-check-pompeo-sanctions-russia.html

do you really believe if Trump was against it, he would still sign off on it?

Well, clearly above it states he was against it. Did he sign anything? I have no idea.

juleswin
08-09-2018, 11:12 AM
And as per usual, I am proven correct:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/25/us/politics/fact-check-pompeo-sanctions-russia.html

Well, clearly above it states he was against it. Did he sign anything? I have no idea.

I still think he could have asked his SoD not to sign off on it if he really did not want to impose this sanction. It would be one thing if it was the democrats to saddled him with this candidate but this was him man, a man he trusted and fought for his nomination. He the executive head of the country could have called in a favor if he did not want this sanction imposed.

dannno
08-09-2018, 11:23 AM
I still think he could have asked his SoD not to sign off on it if he really did not want to impose this sanction. It would be one thing if it was the democrats to saddled him with this candidate but this was him man, a man he trusted and fought for his nomination. He the executive head of the country could have called in a favor if he did not want this sanction imposed.

I decided to stop armchair quarterbacking Trump a long time ago.

He has the skillset to become a billionaire real estate investor, I don't. He has the skillset to become an anti-establishment President with the establishment of both parties trying to stop him, I don't.

We don't share all of the same goals but we have many of the same goals related to a non-interventionist foreign policy, reduced regulations, lower taxes and hopefully we will see some big reductions in spending at some point as well.

However he has to get there, I know it's a complicated path and something I can't possibly comprehend in totality, I know he is probably the best equipped for the job.

juleswin
08-09-2018, 11:29 AM

He has the skillset to become a billionaire real estate investor, I don't. He has the skillset to become an anti-establishment President with the establishment of both parties trying to stop him, I don't.

We don't share all of the same goals but we have many of the same goals related to a non-interventionist foreign policy, reduced regulations, lower taxes and hopefully we will see some big reductions in spending at some point as well.

However he has to get there, I know it's a complicated path and something I can't possibly comprehend in totality, I know he is probably the best equipped for the job.

We? got to be careful how clarify who you are talking about in "we", some people might thing you are talking about the collective we in RPF :)

But yea, time will tell. I think that either he is a neocon fraud, a man who has lost control of his presidency or a man who is playing the more hard core of the 4d chess anyone has ever played. Only time will tell what is actually going on.

My money is on the neocon fraud but I hope I am wrong.

dannno
08-09-2018, 11:36 AM
We? got to be careful how clarify who you are talking about in "we", some people might thing you are talking about the collective we in RPF :)

But yea, time will tell. I think that either he is a neocon fraud, a man who has lost control of his presidency or a man who is playing the more hard core of the 4d chess anyone has ever played. Only time will tell what is actually going on.

My money is on the neocon fraud but I hope I am wrong.

When I said "we" I meant me and Trump.

I have no idea if you actually want a non-interventionist foreign policy, a reduction in regulations, lower taxes and lower spending.

juleswin
08-09-2018, 11:47 AM
When I said "we" I meant me and Trump.

I have no idea if you actually want a non-interventionist foreign policy, a reduction in regulations, lower taxes and lower spending.

Hehe, you should try stand up comedy. You don't know I want a non-interventionist foreign policy? have I ever given u a reason to think that I was against an of those policies?

Just one post showing tat I supported interventionist foreign policy or placement of more regulations or increase in taxes or spending. And please do not point to my avatar, it doesn't mean what you think it means.

AuH20
08-09-2018, 11:47 AM

He doesn't have the will though. He loves himself too much to fully commit.

dannno
08-09-2018, 11:51 AM
He doesn't have the will though. He loves himself too much to fully commit.

Maybe that is the best strategy.

AuH20
08-09-2018, 11:54 AM
Maybe that is the best strategy.

If he wants to be great, he needs to sacrifice. This remains to be seen. Trump has done a relatively good job, when contrasted against the garbage politicians we have been subjected to. But he could be great, if he had the will to be. But I suspect (1) he's scared and (2) cares too much what others think. Andrew Jackson he's not.

dannno
08-09-2018, 11:59 AM
If he wants to be great, he needs to sacrifice. This remains to be seen. Trump has done a relatively good job, when contrasted against the garbage politicians we have been subjected to. But he could be great, if he had the will to be. But I suspect (1) he's scared and (2) cares too much what others think. Andrew Jackson he's not.

Or maybe what you are complaining about are the sacrifices.