PDA

View Full Version : How Immigrants, Commerce, and Fusion Keep Food Delicious

pcgame
08-06-2018, 08:04 AM
Writer Gustavo Arellano talks about food slurs, the late Jonathan Gold, and why Donald Trump's taco salad is a step in the right direction. Reason is the planet's leading source of news, politics, and culture from a libertarian perspective. Go to reason.com for a point of view you won't get from legacy media and old left-right opinion magazines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbbi9wmbKl8

The late Jonathan Gold wrote about food in Southern California with an intimacy that brought readers closer to the people that made it. The Pulitzer Prize–winning critic visited high-end brick-and-mortar restaurants as well as low-end strip malls and food trucks in search of good food wherever he found it. Gold died of pancreatic cancer last month, but he still influences writers like Gustavo Arellano, Los Angeles Times columnist and author of Taco USA: How Mexican Food Conquered America.

Arellano sat down with Reason's Nick Gillespie to talk about Gold's legacy, political correctness in cuisine, and why Donald Trump's love of taco salad gives him hope in the midst of all of the president's anti-Mexican rhetoric. The interview took place at Burritos La Palma, named by Gold as home to one of the five best L.A. burritos.

Produced and edited by Paul Detrick. Shot by Detrick, Zach Weissmuller, and Lorenz Lo.

Photos of Jonathan Gold, Credit: Patrick Fallon/ZUMA Press/Newscom

"Hang for Days" by Silent Partner is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license.

Zippyjuan
08-06-2018, 02:49 PM
But they are destroying the American Culture! Who wants tacos and Chinese food and pizza and beer? Feriner foods!

timosman
08-06-2018, 02:49 PM
But they are destroying the American Culture! Who wants tacos and Chinese food and pizza and beer? Feriner foods!

Are you OK?:confused:

Swordsmyth
08-06-2018, 06:39 PM
Food is not the problem and overwhelming floods of immigrants are not required to share food culture.

If I did have to choose between interesting food and liberty I would choose liberty, some would sell their birthright for a mess of pottage it seems.

Zippyjuan
08-06-2018, 06:46 PM
Food is not the problem and overwhelming floods of immigrants are not required to share food culture.

If I did have to choose between interesting food and liberty I would choose liberty, some would sell their birthright for a mess of pottage it seems.

You are not required to adapt to anything of a different culture if you don't want to.

Swordsmyth
08-06-2018, 07:01 PM
You are not required to adapt to anything of a different culture if you don't want to.

You misunderstand as usual.

I enjoy adapting to new things but we can share food cultures with other peoples without allowing millions of them to move here every year.