PDA

View Full Version : Project 100%, warrantless searches of welfare recipients

Pauls' Revere
07-31-2018, 08:08 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/news/unfiltered-know-im-welfare-im-also-american-204904154.html

Project 100%, a program launched in 1997 and currently managed by the San Diego County’s Health and Human Services Agency, employs investigators to go into the homes of potential welfare recipients in order to further verify eligibility for government aid.

In 2006, the Ninth Circuit upheld the constitutionality of Project 100% and ruled that the home search was not in violation of the Fourth Amendment, which protects a person’s right to refuse. Halpern was taken aback: “It’s shocking, I think, for anyone of us who has been raised to think that there are certain minimum thresholds of decency that the Constitution protects … I don’t know how they could parse it out and find a different result.”

In a statement to Yahoo News, Project 100% stated that the program “finds fraud in, on average, 6% of [welfare] applications. The employees assigned to this program also frequently connect applicants to other nonprofit and government programs, as well as potential job opportunities, to help them break the cycle of poverty.”

Meeting minutes of a San Diego County district attorney roundtable on Feb. 8, 1997, detail the workers of the public assistance fraud unit complaining about the low number of fraud referrals. As a result, supervising district attorney investigator Frank Reid proposed home searches as part of the requirements for welfare. The idea was well-received, and Project 100% began operations that year.

“I’m not a person who has a gripe against government being government, because I think that at the bottom, government has a mandate to take care of its people. It has a mandate to hold people accountable. It has a mandate to try to keep us honest,” says Halpern. “So, if you want to keep your jobs, great. But how about if we do this: How about, if instead of doing 10 searches a day of parents’ homes whose applications are profoundly innocent, OK? How about if you devote some of your manpower to consumer protection of all the ways that low-income people get taken advantage of?”

I think this is a bit hypocritical and ironic, he asks for government to make "us" honest and accountable but has a problem when they search your place.

In any case, your on the government dole, your the governments beeotch and play by their rules if you want what they give you. Otherwise you might have to move out of that beach bungalow you can't afford and move to where you can afford to live.

Swordsmyth
07-31-2018, 08:11 PM
End welfare.

Taking government money makes you subject to government conditions.

Pauls' Revere
07-31-2018, 09:45 PM
End welfare.

Compassion has its limits.

oyarde
07-31-2018, 09:49 PM
Only six percent ? They are not working hard enough .

TheCount
07-31-2018, 11:42 PM
End welfare.

But not corporate welfare. Because reasons.

Swordsmyth
07-31-2018, 11:43 PM

Tell us more about your reasons not to end corporate welfare.

timosman
08-01-2018, 12:01 AM
Only six percent ? They are not working hard enough .

You can not be too hard on welfare recipients.:D

timosman
08-01-2018, 12:02 AM

If you've ever wondered why does your company have a diversity program.:D

DamianTV
08-01-2018, 02:59 AM
Rights are deprived by attacking those with the least ability to defend themselves first. They go after the children, the old, the poor, the disabled, and when they finally finish off with you, there will be no one else left to defend you.

shakey1
08-01-2018, 05:34 AM
Unconstitutional muthafukkers.

CaptUSA
08-01-2018, 06:01 AM
Sleep with the dogs and wake up with the fleas.

I'm all for anything that gets people to eschew government programs. Whether, it's welfare, education, health care... Is it right? Hell no. But the face of government needs to be shown to people.

oyarde
08-01-2018, 06:01 AM
You can not be too hard on welfare recipients.:D

If I was running that division of Stasi I would be at 50 percent fraud at the end of one week moving to 60 percent by week two. By week three people would turn themselves in as unqualified , seeking employment to make payments.

acptulsa
08-01-2018, 06:09 AM

Oh, of course recipients of corporate welfare are immune to searches. He firmly believes corporations deserve more rights than individuals--and even foreign corporations deserve more rights than American individuals.

Money spent on speech is speech and McCain-Feingold limited the speech of anyone who got together in a group to enhance their speech to compete with the MSM.

Anyone affected by US law has a right to speak about it, even foreigners.

Sleep with the dogs and wake up with the fleas.

I'm all for anything that gets people to eschew government programs. Whether, it's welfare, education, health care... Is it right? Hell no. But the face of government needs to be shown to people.

Me, too--including not giving it to people who work full time. If a company can't pay their full time employees enough to live, let them do without employees.

CaptUSA
08-01-2018, 06:17 AM
Me, too--including not giving it to people who work full time. If a company can't pay their full time employees enough to live, let them do without employees.

Just another form of corporate welfare to me. The government is subsidizing the labor costs of businesses with low-skilled employees.

acptulsa
08-01-2018, 06:32 AM
Just another form of corporate welfare to me. The government is subsidizing the labor costs of businesses with low-skilled employees.

Yes, it's more corporate welfare. Amazing how few people understand how individual welfare is corporate welfare.

Corporations can afford more congressmen than low wage workers can. And so-called conservatives argue that it's fine to limit brib--er, I mean campaign contributions by American individuals, but not foreign corporations.

Swordsmyth
08-01-2018, 01:56 PM
Oh, of course recipients of corporate welfare are immune to searches. He firmly believes corporations deserve more rights than individuals--and even foreign corporations deserve more rights than American individuals.

:rolleyes:
That is not what I believe and the quotes you cited do not say that.

Swordsmyth
08-01-2018, 02:00 PM
Yes, it's more corporate welfare. Amazing how few people understand how individual welfare is corporate welfare.

Corporations can afford more congressmen than low wage workers can. And so-called conservatives argue that it's fine to limit brib--er, I mean campaign contributions by American individuals, but not foreign corporations.
I don't want any limits on campaign contributions for any Americans, McCain-Feingold limited independent speech for anyone who got together in any kind of group, I would consider barring any corporation from making campaign contributions but only if they were allowed to speak on their own as much as they wanted.

Pauls' Revere
08-01-2018, 08:31 PM

Let's end that too.

People ask me "What about corporate welfare"? I say, yep, end that too. Agriculture subsidies etc..

In fact, I think we ought to have a flat tax rate in accordance to what people want corporate taxes to be. Tax corporations 35%? ok, that then becomes the flat tax rate. People and business want low taxes, they just want them for themselves and make the other guy pay.

spudea
08-01-2018, 08:54 PM
Why would they need a warrant when the resident invites them inside voluntarily to get something they want?