PDA

View Full Version : Democrats warn: We'll pull our states out of Title X

Swordsmyth
07-31-2018, 04:42 PM
Three Democrat-led states are threatening to pull out of thefederal family planning program if the Trump administration moves forward with its proposal to prohibit abortion referrals and make other changes that would exclude abortion providers from participating. — Washington state Gov. Jay Inslee, Hawaii Gov. David Ige and Oregon Gov. Kate Brown said in separate statements that if the legal battle to stop the administration's Title X changes fails, they would not be able to participate in the “unethical” Title X program.
“We would be left with no choice but to refuse to participate in an unethical Title X program," Inslee said in a statement Monday. “Hawai‘i will not accept federal funds for these programs if the proposed rules are implemented,” Ige said. “It would leave me no choice but to act in the best interests of the citizens of Oregon and our state law, and withdraw our state’s participation from an unethical, ineffective Title X program that reduces access to essential preventive health services,” Brown said (https://twitter.com/OregonGovBrown/status/1024062152976424960).
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo issued a similarly dire warning that his state's program would be "impossible" to continue, although he did not explicitly vow to pull his state out.
The moves intensify a rapidly escalating battle between the administration and abortion providers over the future of the family planning program. Tuesday is the deadline for public responses to the Trump administration's proposed changes.

More at: https://www.politico.com/newsletters/politico-pulse/2018/07/31/democrats-warn-well-pull-our-states-out-of-title-x-301436

oyarde
07-31-2018, 04:53 PM
Let the commie governors opt out of all federal assistance . Excellent idea.:money:

Origanalist
07-31-2018, 04:57 PM
This is a threat? Lol.

parocks
07-31-2018, 06:54 PM
It seems to me that Trump is really good at wedge issues, in ways that various Bushes never were.

How many voters in those states would really want to lose all that Fed money? Even the abortion loving ones might have 2nd thoughts about having to pay extra.