PDA

View Full Version : Portland Police Refused To Help ICE Agents Who Called 911, Agents Say

Swordsmyth
07-30-2018, 11:58 PM
Portland, Oregon, police refused to respond to at least two 911 emergency calls from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) employees inside their offices where violent protesters held week-long demonstrations.
The National Immigration and Customs Enforcement Council, a union representing ICE employees, wrote a cease-and-desist letter (https://s3.amazonaws.com/arc-wordpress-client-uploads/wweek/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/30080248/National-ICE-Letter-to-Wheeler-Final-7_30.pdf) to Mayor Ted Wheeler, asking him to ensure the police enforce the law equally and protect innocent people.
“Your current policy forbidding Portland law enforcement agencies from assisting employees of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agency who request law enforcement assistance while at or away from work is a violation of the United States Constitution’s Equal Protection Clause,” the letter says.
Demonstrators, some affiliated with the domestic terrorist organization Antifa, set up a city of tents outside the ICE offices. After setting up camp, they became violent and incited violence several times (http://dailycaller.com/2018/07/18/occupy-ice-portland-trump-pinata/).

“Every person in law enforcement knows there are few things as dangerous or as unpredictable than an angry mob,”said Chris Crane, president of the national union, WWeek reported (http://www.wweek.com/news/courts/2018/07/30/ice-agents-say-portland-mayor-violated-the-u-s-constitution-by-barring-police-from-responding-to-the-feds-calls-for-help/) Monday. “No one could have responded quickly enough to protect our employees who were trapped inside this building. All of this because the Mayor of Portland has a beef with the president of the United States.”

“We understand that you have a difference of opinion with the current President of the United States, and some of his policies, but we fail to see why targeting the employees of ICE and leaving them vulnerable to violence, harassment and even death furthers a legitimate government interest,” their lawyer, Sean Riddell, says in the letter. “Your policy has created a zone of terror and lawlessness.”
“We ask that you end your policy of not responding to calls for police services from ICE employees immediately,” the ICE union pleads in the letter to the mayor. “We would like to avoid federal litigation, but we are prepared to protect our membership and their families.”
Portland police did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

More at: http://dailycaller.com/2018/07/30/portland-police-ice-911-calls/

oyarde
07-31-2018, 07:24 AM
I see the Root Causes . Do not go to Portland , do not call 911.

acptulsa
07-31-2018, 07:51 AM
Meh. If the feds can't take care of themselves, they should stay in the District of Calamity.

timosman
07-31-2018, 07:59 AM
This will set a bad precedent. :upsidedown:

Origanalist
07-31-2018, 08:15 AM
Meh. If the feds can't take care of themselves, they should stay in the District of Calamity.

I'm ok with that. We could build a moat around it, or something.

Hey! I know! A big, beautiful wall!

pcosmar
07-31-2018, 08:23 AM

Thank you for a morning laugh.

knowing this place I had swallowed my coffee before looking.

acptulsa
07-31-2018, 08:57 AM

"It's for your own protection."

Ender
07-31-2018, 09:56 AM

Exactly.

Boo. Hoo.

CaptUSA
07-31-2018, 10:28 AM
Government bullies getting mad at other government bullies for not protecting them... Maybe they should question their career choices.

Influenza
07-31-2018, 10:35 AM
http://i.imgur.com/SO6VcaHm.jpg

pcosmar
07-31-2018, 11:34 AM
Government bullies getting mad at other government bullies for not protecting them... Maybe they should question their career choices.

I'm sure this is all being coordinated by the Fusion Center.

I hear they are staging an armed confrontation (aug 4)

A Son of Liberty
07-31-2018, 02:46 PM

Hang on there.

These are individuals who have a legitimate fear for their safety.

We can agree that they've made a crap career choice. Some of them - if not most of them - made that choice out of a predisposition to control others. All relevant facts. But they've been left with no other choice to be secure in their physical being than to call upon the local police...

This is a free market matter, and it seems to prove that local police are not impartial. Which of course is what we're told would be the case when we suggest that order can be maintained by free market security.

The angle here is not to decry the victim; it should be to show that there is no falsifiable solution. Even the so called public option - perhaps especially - fails the litmus test.

Swordsmyth
07-31-2018, 02:56 PM
Hang on there.

We can agree that they've made a crap career choice. Some of them - if not most of them - made that choice out of a predisposition to control others. All relevant facts. But they've been left with no other choice to be secure in their physical being than to call upon the local police...

This is a free market matter, and it seems to prove that local police are not impartial. Which of course is what we're told would be the case when we suggest that order can be maintained by free market security.

The angle here is not to decry the victim; it should be to show that there is no falsifiable solution. Even the so called public option - perhaps especially - fails the litmus test.
Usually the public option is kept from being this biased and it can be reformed peacefully when it does go this far, also you at least are only subject to one law enforcement organization and you don't get caught in the crossfire between warring rivals, in the end one organization will drive out the others and create an exclusive territory anyway.

Feel free to respond if you wish but I will not debate this further in this thread.

shakey1
07-31-2018, 02:57 PM
Hang on there.

Oath Keepers?

acptulsa
07-31-2018, 03:33 PM
...you at least are only subject to one law enforcement organization and you don't get caught in the crossfire between warring rivals...

Clearly you've never driven a truck.

Federal government: You must take this exact same route or pay a $40,000 fine. State government: If you take the route they told you to take it's a $25,000 fine. Have a nice day!

...in the end one organization will drive out the others and create an exclusive territory anyway.

Whereas the federal government is taking over by taxing the snot out of citizens and doling money back out to jurisdictions which jump through their hoops. My, how much better that is!

Feel free to respond if you wish but I will not debate this further in this thread.

Hit and run and come back only to accuse the responder of hijacking the thread. Got it.

Swordsmyth
07-31-2018, 03:39 PM
Since I didn't say I wouldn't respond to YOU, I will respond once.

Clearly you've never driven a truck.

Federal government: You must take this exact same route or pay a $40,000 fine. State government: If you take the route they told you to take it's a $25,000 fine. Have a nice day!
How would you like to deal with 10 different "free-market" law enforcement agencies?

Whereas the federal government is taking over by taxing the snot out of citizens and doling money back out to jurisdictions which jump through their hoops. My, how much better that is!
Which is where you will end up after one agency establishes dominance.
Would you rather live in a war zone?

Hit and run and come back only to accuse the responder of hijacking the thread. Got it.
I did not accuse anyone of hijacking the thread and I will not do so to anyone who merely responds to my own posts.

acptulsa
07-31-2018, 03:46 PM
...I will not debate this further in this thread.

Since I didn't say I wouldn't respond to YOU, I will respond once.

Fail.

How would you like to deal with 10 different "free-market" law enforcement agencies?

Sounds good. They won't be enforcing contradictory regulations in the same jurisdiction. At least there's only one set of rules until you cross the property line. That would be an improvement.

Which is where you will end up after one agency establishes dominance.

Somebody will fire them. That's the beauty of competition.

Would you rather live in a war zone?

The world is a war zone.

Your word and seven bucks will get me a cup of Starbucks...

Zippyjuan
07-31-2018, 04:21 PM
I was trying to find out what the 911 calls were about and came across this: http://www.wweek.com/news/courts/2018/07/30/ice-agents-say-portland-mayor-violated-the-u-s-constitution-by-barring-police-from-responding-to-the-feds-calls-for-help/

A local ICE officer, who spoke to WW only on the condition of anonymity, says two agency employees called Portland police on June 19 when they were blocked from leaving the building in their vehicles. One of those employees told Portland police that protesters followed his truck to pick up his daughter from summer camp and harassed him in the parking lot.

He also says protesters showed up at his Portland apartment building a few hours later. Again, he called police, but says no officer responded.

So he was harassed in a parking lot.

acptulsa
07-31-2018, 05:06 PM
One of those employees told Portland police that protesters followed his truck to pick up his daughter from summer camp and harassed him in the parking lot.

He also says protesters showed up at his Portland apartment building a few hours later. Again, he called police, but says no officer responded.

So you can tail trained ICE agents, and they'll lead you right to their front door?

A word to ICE agents: You'll never tail me to my front door, morons.

Origanalist
07-31-2018, 05:11 PM
Hang on there.

The federal government has a multitude of individuals, they ARE the reason we can't have a free market security. (or at least a big part of the reason)

Swordsmyth
08-29-2019, 04:53 PM
6 Antifa who shut down Portland ICE facility for 10 days get sweetheart deal. NO criminal prosecution. NO jail time. A slap on the wrist: $100 fines, 10 hrs community service. (https://twitter.com/michellemalkin/status/1166861683542786054)