PDA

View Full Version : Gary Johnson Will “Very Likely” Enter New Mexico Senate Race

jct74
07-30-2018, 03:45 PM
Gary Johnson Will “Very Likely” Enter New Mexico Senate Race
The Former Presidential Candidate Looks Set To Join New Mexico Race

Andrew Zirkle
July 30, 2018

The New Mexico Senate race, a competition that was previously thought to be a predictable stroll for incumbent Sen. Martin Heinrich (D), is expected to change drastically in the coming hours and days. Gary Johnson, prominent Libertarian Presidential candidate & former Republican Governor of the state is expected to enter the race soon.

The current candidate that the Libertarian Party is fielding for Senate, Aubrey Dunn, is expected to relinquish the nomination for the race today at 2:30 PM EST according to the chair of the NM LP, Chris Luchini. This will allow the New Mexican Libertarian Party the opportunity to nominate a new candidate for the upcoming general election in November. Luchini has confirmed that the New Mexico Libertarian Party Central Committee has already scheduled a meeting for this coming Saturday to choose a replacement candidate to run for Senate.

When reached by phone, Luchini stated that he spoke with Gary Johnson earlier today and that Johnson was “very interested in considering getting into the race.” Luchini also stated that there were no other candidates interested in running and that the central committee was ready to “offer [Johnson] the position.”

read more:
https://71republic.com/2018/07/30/gary-johnson-likely-enter-new-mexico-senate-race/

more here:
https://reason.com/blog/2018/07/30/path-cleared-for-still-undecided-gary-jo

acptulsa
07-30-2018, 03:48 PM
If anyone's a big enough name to mount a successful third party run for the Senate, he is.

I'd like to see an LP senator. I'd also be interested to see what kind of a senator he'd be.

jct74
07-30-2018, 03:48 PM
interesting chart from the Reason article:

https://media.reason.com/mc/mwelch/2018_07/LibertariansSenate.jpg?h=496&w=400

Swordsmyth
07-30-2018, 03:57 PM
If he is replacing a Dem he might actually be an improvement.

acptulsa
07-30-2018, 03:58 PM

Do you suppose we could trouble you to at least read the first line of the article in the OP before you comment? It would benefit you too--people's perception of your IQ would go up at least twenty percent.

euphemia
07-30-2018, 03:59 PM
Gary Johnson is not a Libertarian. He is a big government libertine who would use the full force of government to force people to violate deeply held religious views. He has a lot of funny money floating around in the pot industry. He couldn't stay sober long enough to hold a coherent interview while running for president.

This is not a guy who should ever run for office of any kind.

Swordsmyth
07-30-2018, 04:00 PM
Do you suppose we could trouble you to at least read the first line of the article in the OP before you comment? It would benefit you too--people's perception of your IQ would go up at least twenty percent.

I did, I just used a different style of speech to state that I approve because the incumbent is a Dem.

Swordsmyth
07-30-2018, 04:01 PM
Gary Johnson is not a Libertarian. He is a big government libertine who would use the full force of government to force people to violate deeply held religious views. He has a lot of funny money floating around in the pot industry. He couldn't stay sober long enough to hold a coherent interview while running for president.

But he still might be an improvement over a Dem.

acptulsa
07-30-2018, 04:07 PM

I did, I just used a different style of speech to state that I approve because the incumbent is a Dem.

I think we just crossed the line from spin to shit.

Superfluous Man
07-30-2018, 04:15 PM
He should have run as a Republican.

euphemia
07-30-2018, 04:19 PM
But he still might be an improvement over a Dem.

It’s not about the label. Johnson is worse than a Democrat. He’s not a Libertarian.

jct74
07-30-2018, 04:28 PM

You really think he was toking up before interviews?

Superfluous Man
07-30-2018, 04:29 PM
It’s not about the label. Johnson is worse than a Democrat. He’s not a Libertarian.

How is he worse than a Democrat?

Anti Globalist
07-30-2018, 04:30 PM
Mr. What is Aleppo?

euphemia
07-30-2018, 04:41 PM
How is he worse than a Democrat?

Did you not read what I wrote? He's a big government libertine. He's pro-abortion, pro-EPA, anti-1st amendment, pro-war, and he leveraged his political influence to make a lot of money in the cannabis industry.

He's worse than a Democrat because he is dishonest about what he believes.

He also said he would not seek public office again after his 2016 run for President.

Superfluous Man
07-30-2018, 04:45 PM
Did you not read what I wrote? He's a big government libertine. He's pro-abortion, pro-EPA, anti-1st amendment, pro-war, and he leveraged his political influence to make a lot of money in the cannabis industry.

He's worse than a Democrat because he is dishonest about what he believes.

He also said he would not seek public office again after his 2016 run for President.

I don't see how any of that makes him worse than a Democrat.

For that matter, I don't see how it even makes him worse than most Republicans.

Why are you so fond of Democrats?

specsaregood
07-30-2018, 04:50 PM
You really think he was toking up before interviews?

Sadly, it would reflect better upon him if he was.

euphemia
07-30-2018, 04:51 PM
The issue is whether Gary Johnson is really libertarian and whether he should run for senate.

He said religious liberty is a black hole.

Superfluous Man
07-30-2018, 04:57 PM
The issue is whether Gary Johnson is really libertarian and whether he should run for senate.

He said religious liberty is a black hole.

I don't see why he shouldn't run. I won't be donating to his campaign. But I'm sure he's not worse than almost anyone else running for Senate as either a Democrat or a Republican. And I don't care if he counts as a libertarian or not.

I don't know what it means to call religious liberty a black hole. But it is and should be a non-issue. None of the controversies that have been stirred up in recent years that are allegedly about religious liberty should have ever even been framed that way. They're all just about liberty, period. We should support the right not to make and sell a product you don't want to make and sell whatever your motivation is, without elevating religious motivations to some special status.

oyarde
07-30-2018, 05:15 PM
He should have run as a Republican.

If he was serious about winning he would have .

spudea
07-30-2018, 05:36 PM
At some point you have to face reality and accept you just aren't popular. I think Gary is a poor messenger for Libertarian ideas.

dannno
07-30-2018, 05:53 PM
At some point you have to face reality and accept you just aren't popular. I think Gary is a poor messenger for Libertarian ideas.

He was a two term Governor of New Mexico, as a libertarian. Republicans aren't going to win in NM.

Maybe the Senate is his calling.

dannno
07-30-2018, 05:54 PM
If he was serious about winning he would have . (run as a Republican)

Not true, he was a two-term Governor in NM as a libertarian.

Krugminator2
07-30-2018, 06:05 PM

Gary would be in the same category as Rand and Mike Lee. I didn't think Gary was worth much an LP candidate but he would be a great Senator.

Krugminator2
07-30-2018, 06:06 PM
He was a two term Governor of New Mexico, as a libertarian. Republicans aren't going to win in NM.

Maybe the Senate is his calling.

He was a libertarian Republican. New Mexico elects Republicans. Suzanna Martinez was Republican.

oyarde
07-30-2018, 06:15 PM
Not true, he was a two-term Governor in NM as a libertarian.

He would have more access to funds to defeat an entrenched incumbent .

oyarde
07-30-2018, 06:18 PM
I am probably about as libertarian as anyone in my neck of the woods but if I ran for office I would run as a Pub.

Swordsmyth
07-30-2018, 06:33 PM
I don't see how any of that makes him worse than a Democrat.

^^^THIS^^^

TomtheTinker
07-31-2018, 10:53 AM
If he wanted to win he should of done this years ago. Certainly not my ideal guy but considering everything he's better than 90%+ of the current senators.

shakey1
07-31-2018, 02:35 PM
Could be inarresting.

http://www.939northpoleradio.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/398/2016/09/dxo3Dya.jpg

dean.engelhardt
07-31-2018, 02:51 PM
Gary would be in the same category as Rand and Mike Lee. I didn't think Gary was worth much an LP candidate but he would be a great Senator.

I agree Gary would be a great Senator. I think if Gary got the seat, he'd be in a much different category than Rand or Mike Lee. Rand and Lee are pretty good but are somewhat controlled by the GOP money machine. They still have to pay the GOP a fee to keep any seats they have on committees in congress. Gary could be a true independent, as the LP doesn't have the lobbying clout of the two big parties.

dean.engelhardt
07-31-2018, 03:06 PM

Big government? His platform was an immediate 20% reduction in federal spending and would only sign a balanced budget. He was the only 2016 candidate that would end the wars in the Middle East.

Nazi cake baking? You kind of got a point.

Funny money from the pot industry? After 2 terms a governor, he started a private business in edible marijuana and made millions. It's not like he's involved in a uranium deal or getting his son in-law a $500 million loan from Qatar.

Sober? He said he remained sober from his bid announcement until election night. Even if he didn't, his message was 100x better than the competition. Lets face it, Trump isn't going to be known for his public speaking (would, wouldn't).

Krugminator2
08-01-2018, 12:54 PM
I agree Gary would be a great Senator. I think if Gary got the seat, he'd be in a much different category than Rand or Mike Lee. Rand and Lee are pretty good but are somewhat controlled by the GOP money machine. They still have to pay the GOP a fee to keep any seats they have on committees in congress. Gary could be a true independent, as the LP doesn't have the lobbying clout of the two big parties.

Hmmm..... Maybe. Probably not. He wasn't particularly libertarian as a Libertarian Party candidate. Hard to imagine him becoming more libertarian when he is accountable to voters. More likely I think Gary would be the distinctly third best Senator, which is pretty darn good and the point of my post. I would put Gary in the Mark Sanford/Raul Labrador category. Gary Johnson's don't grow on trees. I would be very pleasantly surprised if he were in a whole different category.

Madison320
08-01-2018, 01:23 PM

Are you insinuating that if he was replacing a republican it wouldn't be an improvement?

Madison320
08-01-2018, 01:30 PM

I think you need some perspective. I agree that he's not the ideal libertarian, but he's objectively better on the issues than 99% of the republican/democrats currently in office.

Swordsmyth
08-01-2018, 02:02 PM
Are you insinuating that if he was replacing a republican it wouldn't be an improvement?
It would depend on the Republican, a few of them are better than him, NO Democrats are.

Madison320
08-01-2018, 02:14 PM
It would depend on the Republican, a few of them are better than him, NO Democrats are.

I agree, but it's a very small percentage, like 1%.

Swordsmyth
08-01-2018, 02:16 PM
Which half of Rand do you think is no better than Johnson? :upsidedown:

Madison320
08-01-2018, 02:51 PM
Which half of Rand do you think is no better than Johnson? :upsidedown:

Don't confuse me any more! My head already hurts from reading that stuff from devil21.

Swordsmyth
08-01-2018, 02:55 PM

Which half of Rand do you think is no better than Johnson? http://www.ronpaulforums.com/images/emojis/upsidedown.png

Don't confuse me any more! My head already hurts from reading that stuff from devil21.

There are only about 50 Republican Senators so 1% is one half of a Senator

Madison320
08-01-2018, 03:49 PM
There are only about 50 Republican Senators so 1% is one half of a Senator

That was way too deep!