PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Risks "Unprecedented Sanctions" After Ruling To Keep US Pastor In Jail

Swordsmyth
07-18-2018, 10:01 PM
Turkey issued a key challenge to its NATO "puggybank" ally the United States today, when a Turkish court ruled to keep imprisoned US Pastor Andrew Burnson in jail, quashing speculation that he would be released after a hearing on Wednesday.
Pastor Brunson, who was detained in 2016, faces charges including espionage and aiding terrorist groups after being accused of cooperating with Kurdish terrorists and colluding with the Gulenist Islamic movement; he faces up to 35 years in prison if found guilty.
https://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/inline-images/brunson.jpg Pastor Andrew Brunson

Brunson claimed innocence during his trial in May and called the charges against him "shameful and disgusting".
"I am helping Syrian refugees, they say that I am aiding the PKK. I am setting up a church, they say I got help from Gulen's network," Brunson said, referring to the testimonies of anonymous witnesses in court.

Meanwhile, US diplomats have warned the arrest is part of the Turkish government’s policy of “hostage diplomacy” and could trigger unprecedented sanctions. President Trump has also called for Brunson's release and the US Senate passed a bill last month including a measure that prohibits Turkey from buying F-35 Joint Strike Fighter jets because of Brunson's imprisonment and Turkey's purchase of Russia's S-400 air defence system.
Brunson's lawyer Ismail Cem Halavurt said Turkish courts can remand defendants in detention while evidence is collected, to prevent any interference. That process is expected to be concluded on Wednesday when the final three prosecution witnesses are due to be heard, meaning he could be freed for the remainder of the trial.
"We have been saying that he must be released under the law since day one," Halavurt said. "We expect him to be released following the completion of the evidence collection."
Commenting ahead of the ruling, Istanbul-based brokerage Global Securities wrote that "if Brunson is released, we will see a rapid recovery in U.S. – Turkey relations and its positive implications on TRY assets. Otherwise would hint that Turkey- U.S. relations could re-enter challenging period." Additionally, "markets should not rule out potential (either positive or negative) repercussions from American pastor Brunson’s trail to the Halkbank case."
Brunson was the pastor of the Izmir Resurrection Church, serving a small Protestant congregation in Turkey's third largest city, south of the Aegean town of Aliaga where he is now on trial.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-07-18/turkey-risks-unprecedented-sanctions-after-ruling-keep-us-pastor-jail-lira-slides