PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Debate: Paul on Education

bobmurph
12-12-2007, 03:18 PM
Education Question:

"What is the biggest obstacle standing in the way of imporoving education in the United States and how would you address it?"

Ron Paul Response:

"Probably the federal government. We've been involved at the federal level for over 50 years. We've had a Department of Education. It used to be the policy of the Republican party to get rid of the Department of Education. We finally got in charge and had a chance to do something, and we doubled the size of the Department of Education.

Now we have "No Child Left Behind". The teachers don't like it. The students don't like it. The quality of education hasn't gone up, the cost of education has gone up.

We need to look to our local resources. We need to release the creative energy of the teachers at the local level. But what we can do immediately is give tax credits. I have a bill that would give tax credits to the teachers to raise their salaries. At the same time, we should encourage home-schooling and private schooling and let the individuals write that off.

The parents have to get control of the education. It used to be that the parents had control of education through local school boards. Today its the judicial system and the executive branch of government, the beauracracy, that controls things. And it would be predictable that the quality would go down and the money would go to the beauracrats and not to the educational system here at home."

I thought he gave a great answser to this question. He didn't attack the teachers or the teachers union. I think his response to this question could really hit home with parents and with teachers.

Dorfsmith
12-12-2007, 03:20 PM
Best part of the debate :cool:

rodent
12-12-2007, 03:22 PM
Best part of the debate :cool:

That kid in your picture has a great haircut. Props. Tell him to get Ron and Paul etched onto each side of the mohawk when some of his hair grows back in.

saahmed
12-12-2007, 03:39 PM
I think it was Giuliani who said a lot of what Paul has been saying for a long time, and went before Paul. May have stolen some of the thunder.

DRV45N05
12-12-2007, 03:44 PM
What got me is that the conservatives and moderates on Fox's magical dial were giving high ratings to McCain, Romney, Giuliani, and Thompson when they gave quasi-"reduce the role of the federal government answers," and then they were giving Ron demerits when he gave the strongest anti-federal government stand in education.

Either it marks the fact that today's conservatives are not actually conservatives, or they're just political hacks who are following the lead of the MSM in attacking Ron.

evadmurd
12-12-2007, 03:48 PM
What got me is that the conservatives and moderates on Fox's magical dial were giving high ratings to McCain, Romney, Giuliani, and Thompson when they gave quasi-"reduce the role of the federal government answers," and then they were giving Ron demerits when he gave the strongest anti-federal government stand in education.

Either it marks the fact that today's conservatives are not actually conservatives, or they're just political hacks who are following the lead of the MSM in attacking Ron.

FU Frank! It's a set up.

Talldude1412
12-12-2007, 03:49 PM
Is there a transcript out yet???