PDA

View Full Version : Can grassroots put together a debate?

Ninja Homer
12-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Reagan ran his own debate, and it was a big turning point for him. That's when he made the "I paid for this microphone, and I will be heard" statement.

If we can raise millions of dollars on multiple days, and put a blimp in the air, can we put together our own debate?

I think we could... maybe in New Hampshire? Give fair time to everybody who shows up. Let each candidate answer every question with an equal amount of time.

We could set up a Luntz style graph to discredit his by using actual undecided voters as opposed to Luntz' hand-picked ones. It's just some Arkanoid paddles hooked up to a laptop, right? That should be easy to set up for some of the more technologically advanced people here.

Who's down for it?

Thor
12-12-2007, 03:19 PM
I don't think the other "top tier" candidates will show up. They will be afraid to as they know they would get exposed.

A round table discussion with Paul, Guiliani, Romney, and Huckster would be interesting.

xexkxex
12-12-2007, 03:20 PM
Can grassroots put together a debate?

Realistically ... no. But you already knew that.

Rex
12-12-2007, 03:27 PM
They would show up if we bated them enough...

piotr1
12-12-2007, 03:34 PM
I think this is a great idea. If other candidates don't show up we can allow supporters to talk for them as substitutes.

ReallyNow
12-12-2007, 03:36 PM
I believe there is a rule by the people who hijacked the debates that you can't participate in outside debates.

piotr1
12-12-2007, 03:40 PM
I believe there is a rule by the people who hijacked the debates that you can't participate in outside debates.

thats fine let supporters other the other candidates come and battle ron paul. We can broadcast it on the internet, and mabye some tv stations will pick it up.

Thor
12-12-2007, 03:45 PM
30 minute "infomercial" with just Dr Paul will be dandy. And air it over and over.

Sat and Sunday AM's. In the informacial, show the flip flopping and tune changes from the Huckster and others...

azminuteman
12-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Google

As the venue and moderator.

That would be the best bet. Of course, Fox would hate it because they would have no control.

Bossobass
12-12-2007, 03:58 PM
The Ron Paul Debate Challenge:

Congressman Paul challenges the 'Front Runner' candidates for POTUS to a one-on-one debate of the real issues that face Americans today and in the future.

The Economy
Foreign Policy
The Mandate for a Consensus with Congress to Implement Change
The Constitution of the United State of America
The Iraq War
The Threats of a Preemptive Nuclear War against Iran
Illegal Immigration
Free Trade and the Free Market
Monetary Policy and the Federal Reserve
Education Policy
Energy Policy
The War on Drugs
The War on Terror

ABC's John Stossel will moderate the debates.

All comers are welcome, both Democrat and Republican.

No one will accept this challenge so we would get a ton of free press from the idea and we could rub it in at every turn that the so-called front runners are...AFRAID

Bosso

Kingfisher
12-12-2007, 04:09 PM
Great idea.

Einar Fridgeirs
12-12-2007, 04:18 PM
Google

As the venue and moderator.

That would be the best bet. Of course, Fox would hate it because they would have no control.

That's an AWESOME idea. And I bet Google would be up for it too...

mesler
12-12-2007, 04:45 PM
How about we work with the Huckabee grassroots and collect for a RP vs Huckabee Lincoln Douglas debate? I'd love to see that.

jgmaynard
12-12-2007, 05:48 PM
"Can grassroots put together a debate? "

Yes. It's really not as big of a deal as it might seem.

Essentially, just myself and one other person put on a Gubernatorial debate in NH in 2000. We ran it through our college Libertarian group and it was one of the fairest debates I have ever seen:

Every candidate was invited, everyone was allowed to answer every question and everyone was allowed the exact same amount of time to speak.

It's not that tough to do - you get a place large enough (may I recommend getting a college group to book a theatre on campus?), invite everyone and the same day you invite them, you tell the press that they are all invited. After that, there's stuff you'll knock out as it comes up.

JM

michael.byrne
12-12-2007, 10:40 PM
I would love to see a duel between Dr. Paul and Huckabee.

"Can grassroots put together a debate? "

Yes. It's really not as big of a deal as it might seem.

Essentially, just myself and one other person put on a Gubernatorial debate in NH in 2000. We ran it through our college Libertarian group and it was one of the fairest debates I have ever seen:

Every candidate was invited, everyone was allowed to answer every question and everyone was allowed the exact same amount of time to speak.

It's not that tough to do - you get a place large enough (may I recommend getting a college group to book a theatre on campus?), invite everyone and the same day you invite them, you tell the press that they are all invited. After that, there's stuff you'll knock out as it comes up.

JM

Lacrosseus
12-12-2007, 11:07 PM
Reagan ran his own debate, and it was a big turning point for him. That's when he made the "I paid for this microphone, and I will be heard" statement.

If we can raise millions of dollars on multiple days, and put a blimp in the air, can we put together our own debate?

I think we could... maybe in New Hampshire? Give fair time to everybody who shows up. Let each candidate answer every question with an equal amount of time.

We could set up a Luntz style graph to discredit his by using actual undecided voters as opposed to Luntz' hand-picked ones. It's just some Arkanoid paddles hooked up to a laptop, right? That should be easy to set up for some of the more technologically advanced people here.

Who's down for it?

How about an net based you tube debate... where we would come up with the questions as usual -- and then get video responses from each candidate. then have a second round, where the candidates would view the others responses and get 1 minute to respond...

It would be more controlled -- fair -- and it could keep going throughout the election. People could watch it when they had time.

Luther
12-12-2007, 11:08 PM
How about a real debate? You know, where the candidates actually ask each other the questions?

conner_condor
12-12-2007, 11:13 PM
For a funny video you all could get masks that look like the other candidates and have your own SNL like debate. I want to be mr 911 though.