PDA

View Full Version : Trump says he misspoke on Russia meddling following Putin meeting

Zippyjuan
07-17-2018, 01:18 PM
The back-pedaling has begun.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-trump-putin-summit-20180717-story.html

Update: President Donald Trump says he meant the opposite when he said in Helsinki that he doesn't see why Russia would have interfered in the 2016 U.S. elections.

Back at the White House on Tuesday, the president told reporters that he said he meant he doesn't see why Russia "wouldn't" be responsible.

He also said he accepts the American intelligence community's conclusion that Russia interfered in the election, but he denied that his campaign had colluded in the effort.

Trump spoke a day after returning to the U.S. to nearly universal condemnation of his performance at Russian President Vladmir Putin's side in Helsinki. Putin said he wanted Trump to win the race against Democrat Hillary Clinton.

In Helsinki, Trump delivered no condemnation of Russia's interference and refused to say he believes American intelligence agencies over Russia's denials of meddling.

Zippyjuan
07-17-2018, 01:23 PM
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-putin-summit-helsinki-officials-doing-damage-control/

Officials doing damage control following Trump's comments about election meddling

Senior administration officials tell CBS News an effort is underway to clean up the mess created by President Trump's comments in Helsinki on Monday. Administration officials want the president to say he believes U.S. intelligence over Russian president Vladimir Putin and make clear there will not be any effort by the U.S. to cooperate with Russia on the Mueller probe.

As he stood with his Russian counterpart during a joint news conference following their two-hour meeting, Mr. Trump refuted the conclusion of his own intelligence agencies and appeared to accept Putin's denial that Russia interfered in the 2016 election.

"I have great confidence in my intelligence people," Mr. Trump said during the news conference. "But I will tell you that President Putin was extremely strong and powerful in his denial today."

Mr. Trump later tried to clarify his remarks, tweeting, "I have GREAT confidence in MY intelligence people."

milgram
07-17-2018, 01:32 PM
Sad that he's apologizing for anything

timosman
07-17-2018, 01:32 PM
Lights go out @4:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS9cbf7alBo

Zippyjuan
07-17-2018, 02:02 PM
The quote he supposedly got wrong in its context:

REPORTER, AP: President Trump, you first. Just now, President Putin denied having anything to do with the election interference in 2016. Every U.S. intelligence agency has concluded that Russia did. My first question for you sir is, who do you believe? My second question is would you now, with the whole world watching, tell President Putin, would you denounce what happened in 2016 and would you warn him to never do it again?

TRUMP: So let me just say that we have two thoughts. You have groups that are wondering why the FBI never took the server. Why haven't they taken the server? Why was the FBI told to leave the office of the Democratic National Committee?

I've been wondering that. I've been asking that for months and months and I've been tweeting it out and calling it out on social media. Where is the server? I want to know where is the server and what is the server saying?

With that being said, all I can do is ask the question.

My people came to me, Dan Coates, came to me and some others they said they think it's Russia. I have President Putin. He just said it's not Russia.

I will say this: I don't see any reason why it would be. But I really do want to see the server but I have, I have confidence in both parties.

I really believe that this will probably go on for a while but I don't think it can go on without finding out what happened to the server. What happened to the servers of the Pakistani gentleman that worked on the DNC?

Where are those servers? They're missing. Where are they? What happened to Hillary Clinton's emails? 33,000 emails gone, just gone. I think in Russia they wouldn't be gone so easily.

I think it's a disgrace that we can't get Hillary Clinton's thirty three thousand e-mails.

I have great confidence in my intelligence people but I will tell you that President Putin was extremely strong and powerful in his denial today and what he did is an incredible offer.

REPORTER: Did you want President Trump to win the election and did you direct any of your officials to help him do that?

PUTIN: Yes, I did. Yes, I did. Because he talked about bringing the U.S. Russia relationship back to normal.

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/16/629462401/transcript-president-trump-and-russian-president-putins-joint-press-conference

Zippyjuan
07-17-2018, 06:26 PM
Trump: "My parents were both born in the EU." Didn't know the Bronx was part of the European Union (his grandfather was from Germany- not his father- he was a minor when he came to the US without his parents and didn't speak English). And this isn't the first time he has made that claim.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jul/17/trump-keeps-saying-his-father-was-born-in-germany-he-wasnt

Like any wise leader, Donald Trump knows bad news should always be followed with a compliment.

So perhaps that was why, in a recent interview in which he threatened to impose tariffs on European countries that did business with Iran and said the EU was “possibly as bad as China, just smaller”, the president added a touching personal detail.

It was one that spoke of his emotional attachment to the continent he was trashing.

“I was there many, many years ago,” he said. “Meaning, my parents were born in the European Union. I love these countries; Germany, Scotland, they are still in there right?”

Last week, as Trump has careened across Europe, he repeated his touching tale. In an interview recorded in Scotland, he said: “Don’t forget both of my parents were born in EU sectors – my mother was Scotland, my father was Germany.”

It was heartwarming stuff. It wasn’t true, but it was heartwarming.

Trump’s mother, Mary MacLeod, was indeed born in Scotland, on the island of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides. But his father, Fred Trump, was born in New York City, in the United States of America. Not Germany.

Fred Trump took over the family real estate business as a teenager and made vast sums before passing the reins to his son.

Fred Trump’s father, Friedrich Trump, was born in Germany, in the sleepy village of Kallstadt. He left for America at 16 and worked as a barber in Manhattan before heading west.

He lived in Washington state for a while and in the Yukon, in Canada, he sold horse meat and other “services” to goldminers.

Friedrich returned to Germany but was kicked out for skipping military service. His son barely left New York. Until the 1980s, though, he pretended he was of Swedish ancestry, which he felt would be more palatable to many of his Jewish tenants.

His son repeated the Swedish claim in his bestselling book, The Art of the Deal, then flirted with a run for the White House in 2000. His political ambitions were really fueled years later, though, by his leadership of the “birther” movement, which insisted Barack Obama was born in Kenya and thus could not be president.

That wasn’t true. Neither is it true that Trump’s own dad was born abroad.

FvS
07-17-2018, 06:34 PM
Disappointing.

Aratus
07-17-2018, 06:49 PM
Two grandparents were born in Germany, two grandparents were born in Scotland.

AuH20
07-17-2018, 06:52 PM
Disappointing.

dannno
07-17-2018, 06:54 PM
Disappointing.

Trump is like the twins in The Parent Trap. They have to smooth things over on both sides, sometimes they have lie to obtain their goal of getting their parents back together because at least one parent is being irrational.

Aratus
07-17-2018, 06:58 PM
Does Paul Ryan assume if he is a loyal GOP attack dog, he can potusRUN in 2o20???

AuH20
07-17-2018, 06:59 PM
Does Paul Ryan assume if he is a loyal GOP attack dog, he can potusRUN in 2o20???

Nah. He's just playing the game to keep Trump in check in the interim. They know they can keep Trump in check by playing to his vanity. But I doubt that these games will last very long. That's when things will get interesting.

Aratus
07-17-2018, 07:00 PM
True...

FvS
07-17-2018, 08:10 PM
Trump is like the twins in The Parent Trap. They have to smooth things over on both sides, sometimes they have lie to obtain their goal of getting their parents back together because at least one parent is being irrational.

Haha, interesting analogy.

@AuH20 (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/member.php?u=22764)

I don't know if I believe Vanity Fair's "sources," but I wouldn't put it past John Kelly. Still, today made Trump look weak.

Aratus
07-28-2018, 03:32 AM
Nah. He's just playing the game to keep Trump in check in the interim. They know they can keep Trump in check by playing to his vanity. But I doubt that these games will last very long. That's when things will get interesting.

I sit back, reflect... mull things over again... and await the next dropping shoe.

timosman
07-28-2018, 03:43 AM
I sit back, reflect... mull things over again... and await the next dropping shoe.

Your drug dealer is late again?:confused:

Aratus
07-28-2018, 03:54 AM
(edit) so... MY(edit) drug dealer is late again?:confused: (edit)I am bored! I think I will insult Aratus (edit) becuz it's a dull night.(edit)

Aratus
07-28-2018, 03:56 AM
As I said... I await the next metaphoric that is shoe to drop.
Robert Mueller could get his sorry self fired. Then let's expect
all sorts of media commentary & protest marches and firings.

Aratus
07-28-2018, 04:01 AM
The back-pedaling has begun.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-trump-putin-summit-20180717-story.html

He might have been tired.
He did backpedal and he
has been flipflopping too.