PDA

View Full Version : House conservatives prep push to impeach Rosenstein

timosman
07-14-2018, 12:48 AM
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/13/house-republicans-rod-rosenstein-impeachment-719816

07/13/2018

https://static.politico.com/13/59/b94bdb8949aca9303bfea6655ae6/180713-rod-rosenstein-ap-1160.jpg
Conservative GOP lawmakers have been plotting to remove Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein for weeks.

House conservatives are preparing a new push to oust Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, according to three conservative Capitol Hill sources — putting the finishing touches on an impeachment filing even as Rosenstein announced the indictment of 12 Russian intelligence officers for interfering in the 2016 election.

House Freedom Caucus Chairman Mark Meadows, in fact, had the impeachment document on the floor of the House at the very moment that Rosenstein spoke to reporters and TV cameras Friday.

Conservative GOP lawmakers have been plotting to remove Rosenstein for weeks, accusing him of slow-walking their probe of FBI agents they’ve accused of bias against President Donald Trump.

Democrats contend Republicans’ fixation on Rosenstein is really an effort to undermine special counsel Robert Mueller, who reports to Rosenstein and has been making inroads in his investigation of the Russian election interference plot. Mueller’s probe has entangled members of Trump’s inner circle and Trump has increasingly assailed it as a politically motivated “witch hunt” as it’s presented greater danger to him and his allies.

Conservative sources say they could file the impeachment document as soon as Monday, as Meadows and Freedom Caucus founder Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) look to build Republican support in the House. One source cautioned, however, that the timing was still fluid.

“It has not been filed today,” was all Meadows spokesman Ben Williamson would say. Williamson declined to rule out whether Meadows intended to file the document next week.

Republicans could also try to hold Rosenstein in contempt of Congress, if they want to go a step before impeachment.

It is unclear how much support conservatives will have in their effort. Rosenstein has become a punching bag for Trump and his allies as they vent frustration over the Russia investigation. Since Attorney General Jeff Sessions recused himself, Rosenstein has overseen the Mueller probe, which is also examining potential obstruction of justice charges against the president.

But House GOP leaders like Speaker Paul Ryan have clearly been uncomfortable with the notion of going after Rosenstein. It’s unlikely that will change anytime soon, especially so soon after the latest indictments. Ryan’s office was not immediately available for comment.

Rosenstein has clashed with House Republicans for months, with Rosenstein insisting that he’s working to comply with the GOP’s intensive demands for documents — some directly relevant to Mueller’s ongoing probe.

But Ryan and other top GOP lawmakers have accused him of stonewalling and flouting Congress’ oversight authority. Trump, too, has frequently sided with lawmakers to pressure Rosenstein to turn over more documents, an effort Democrats say is really meant to arm Trump with more insight into the Russia probe.

The House, with Ryan’s blessing, adopted a measure last month accusing Rosenstein and other DOJ officials of bucking Congress and demanding access to thousands of sensitive FBI documents by July 6. It’s unclear whether Republican leaders are satisfied with DOJ's efforts since then or if they're preparing a renewed push for the materials.

The New York Times reported on Thursday that the White House overruled the FBI and ordered broader access for some GOP lawmakers to documents related to an informant connected to the ongoing Russia probe.

In his remarks Friday, Rosenstein urged the public to be wary of leaks surrounding the Mueller probe.

“We do not try cases on television or in congressional hearings. Most anonymous leaks are not from the government officials who are actually conducting these investigations,” he said.

“We follow the rule of law, which means that we follow procedures, and we reserve judgment,” he added. “We complete our investigations, and we evaluate all of the relevant evidence before we reach any conclusion. That is how the American people expect their Department of Justice to operate, and that is how our department is going to operate.”

But House Judiciary Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.) has made clear that he doesn't consider Rosenstein out of the woods yet.

After a daylong grilling Thursday of FBI counterintelligence agent Peter Strzok — whom Republicans have accused of bias in the Russia probe — Goodlatte said he blamed Rosenstein for limiting Strzok’s ability to reveal details of his work.

“Rosenstein, who has oversight over the FBI and of the Mueller investigation is where the buck stops,” he said. “Congress has been blocked today from conducting its constitutional oversight duty.”

devil21
07-14-2018, 01:04 AM
blah blah fuckin blah

TheCount
07-14-2018, 01:17 AM
blah blah fuckin blah

This.

This is just orchestrated so that some at-risk reps can make angry noises on TV prior to the mid-term.

devil21
07-14-2018, 01:54 AM
This.

This is just orchestrated so that some at-risk reps can make angry noises on TV prior to the mid-term.

I must admit I was surprised to see Congress get fired up about these testimonies, particularly at the Strozak thing. It made me wonder how many in Congress, even, realize the larger machinations underway? Perhaps I have given the swamp too much credit.

kpitcher
07-14-2018, 03:06 AM
I must admit I was surprised to see Congress get fired up about these testimonies, particularly at the Strozak thing. It made me wonder how many in Congress, even, realize the larger machinations underway? Perhaps I have given the swamp too much credit.

I side with Napoleon on the swamp "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"

Cushy jobs with plenty of perks.. of course the swamp will want to stay swampy.

Cleaner44
07-14-2018, 09:55 AM

I think you have given the swamp too much credit. It appears to me that you overestimate their level of control and competence.

devil21
07-14-2018, 11:02 AM
I think you have given the swamp too much credit. It appears to me that you overestimate their level of control and competence.

I side with Napoleon on the swamp "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"

I'm thinking more like overestimated their (meaning Congress as a whole) awareness. Seems some aren't acting, at least, and are genuinely surprised and angry (aka oblivious) that institutions like the FBI are *gasp* corrupted and much of the drama in politics right now is manufactured distraction.

Swordsmyth
07-14-2018, 12:57 PM

Napoleon has it backwards.

TheCount
07-14-2018, 01:16 PM
I must admit I was surprised to see Congress get fired up about these testimonies, particularly at the Strozak thing.

It depends on what you mean by 'fired up.'

If shouting at a man about the fact that he was cheating on his wife in order to gain political advantage counts as 'fired up,' then fine. I would argue that it's nothing more than cold, calculated partisan politics. Those same representatives who spent ten hours focused on the character of an adulterous FBI agent apparently have no problem with the character of an adulterous president.

Swordsmyth
07-15-2018, 01:53 PM
The chairman of the powerful House Oversight and Government Reform Committee said Sunday he doesn't support a push by conservative lawmakers to impeach Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein.
“No. For what? Impeach him for what? No,” Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) said on CBS' "Face the Nation."

“I've had my differences with Rod Rosenstein. I talk to him quite often privately, which again is a lot more constructive than the public hearings we have,” Gowdy said. “He's a Trump appointee. So is [Attorney General] Jeff Sessions. So is [FBI Director] Chris Wray. If President Trump is dissatisfied with Rod Rosenstein, he can fire him with a tweet.”

More at: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/15/gowdy-rosenstein-impeachment-722237

oyarde
07-15-2018, 02:19 PM
If anyone at this point wishes to pretend the FBI is not incompetent and evil they are suspect too .

Swordsmyth
07-15-2018, 03:10 PM
If anyone at this point wishes to pretend the FBI is not incompetent and evil they are suspect too .

:directhit:
:trophy:
+Rep

eleganz
07-15-2018, 04:38 PM
So can he even be impeached for holding up the investigations?

Is it a generally accepted fault that the GOP can get behind?

devil21
07-15-2018, 04:48 PM
It depends on what you mean by 'fired up.'

If shouting at a man about the fact that he was cheating on his wife in order to gain political advantage counts as 'fired up,' then fine. I would argue that it's nothing more than cold, calculated partisan politics. Those same representatives who spent ten hours focused on the character of an adulterous FBI agent apparently have no problem with the character of an adulterous president.

There's the usual Gowdy dramatics (all sizzle, no steak, like IRS/Lois Lerner and so many others) as he continues his role as sheepdog but some of the other critters didn't seem to me to be acting at all, like they're really caught up in this mess. There are 535 members of Congress and most of them we never see except on very rare occasions or if a CSPAN nerd. I usually ascribe the "acting" roles to the ones that get all the press and hasn't thought much about the less media-covered critters.

donnay
07-15-2018, 05:56 PM
To hell with that, President Trump should just fire his smarmy ass!

TheCount
07-16-2018, 03:49 AM
There's the usual Gowdy dramatics (all sizzle, no steak, like IRS/Lois Lerner and so many others) as he continues his role as sheepdog but some of the other critters didn't seem to me to be acting at all, like they're really caught up in this mess. There are 535 members of Congress and most of them we never see except on very rare occasions or if a CSPAN nerd. I usually ascribe the "acting" roles to the ones that get all the press and hasn't thought much about the less media-covered critters.
http://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/397127-gowdy-rules-out-rosenstein-impeachment

acptulsa
06-04-2020, 09:10 AM
More hearings today? All silent from the Star Chamber?

TheCount
06-04-2020, 10:39 AM
More hearings today? All silent from the Star Chamber?

Any day now

Muh sealed indictments

Working Poor
06-04-2020, 10:54 AM
As far as I am concerned all these hearings are a big nothing burger. I am however, still glad Hillary didn't win,