PDA

View Full Version : Brett Kavanaugh will be Trump’s SCOTUS nominee

TommyJeff
07-09-2018, 04:49 AM
For those who follow betting/predictive markets, Brett moved from 36% to 57% likely nominated in the last 48 hours. If Vegas is correct, he will be Trump’s nominee tonight.

Rand said he won’t confirm him, does anyone know why? Thanks

ILUVRP
07-09-2018, 05:40 AM
it will be a woman

CaptUSA
07-09-2018, 07:05 AM
Not sure if this'll happen - Kavanaugh is a swamp monster. If Trump really goes the swamp route, I guess he's thinking it's the only way to get someone seated before the fall elections. (He'll get cross-over votes for Kavanaugh)

My guess is that there are people leaking his name as a trial balloon.

angelatc
07-09-2018, 08:07 AM
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/05/us/politics/brett-kavanaugh-supreme-court-impeachment.html

Judge Kavanaugh, who after working for (Ken) Starr (during the Clinton investigation) served as an aide to President George W. Bush, has since expressed misgivings about the toll investigations take on presidents. In 2009, he wrote that Mr. Clinton should have been spared the investigation, at least while he was in office. Indicting a sitting president, he said, “would ill serve the public interest, especially in times of financial or national-security crisis.”

We live in a perpetual national security crisis state. I'm out.

AuH20
07-09-2018, 08:15 AM
Cavanaugh is great on gun rights, but he's a swamper.

donnay
07-09-2018, 08:31 AM
For those who follow betting/predictive markets, Brett moved from 36% to 57% likely nominated in the last 48 hours. If Vegas is correct, he will be Trump’s nominee tonight.

I agree with Rand. Kavanaugh is Bush friend (that to me speaks volumes).

donnay
07-09-2018, 08:40 AM
I think Amy Barrett is going to be Trump's choice.

TommyJeff
07-09-2018, 09:00 AM
My guess is that there are people leaking his name as a trial balloon.

Very possible

TommyJeff
07-09-2018, 09:01 AM
I think Amy Barrett is going to be Trump's choice.

I hope so, she’s my #2 choice on his list

nikcers
07-09-2018, 09:02 AM
I hope so, she’s my #2 choice on his list

Well I guess if he can only choose someone on the list.. :rolleyes:

jllundqu
07-09-2018, 09:24 AM
Kavanaugh is everyone's LAST choice, except TPTB.... grassroots/base all want Barrett or Kethledge or Lee.

No matter. Trump will do what Trump does.

jllundqu
07-09-2018, 09:56 AM

Kavanaugh reached virtually the same conclusion on the Obamacare ACA case.... he wrote an opinion similar to CJ Roberts.... believe me we don't need another fucking Roberts on the court. We need another Thomas. I'd be happy with Judge Nap ;)

donnay
07-09-2018, 10:05 AM
Kavanaugh reached virtually the same conclusion on the Obamacare ACA case.... he wrote an opinion similar to CJ Roberts.... believe me we don't need another $#@!ing Roberts on the court. We need another Thomas. I'd be happy with Judge Nap ;)

Rumor has it Judge Nap will be asked to take over the Attorney Generals slot from Sessions. I sure hope the rumor is true.

jllundqu
07-09-2018, 10:32 AM
Rumor has it Judge Nap will be asked to take over the Attorney Generals slot from Sessions. I sure hope the rumor is true.

I'd say not a snowball's chance in hell Judge Nap is ever asked to serve in a Trump admin....

shakey1
07-09-2018, 11:43 AM
Stranger things have happened.

Jan2017
07-09-2018, 12:21 PM
No leak expected before the 9:00 pm announcement tonight according to msm/cbsnews . . .

Trump names second Supreme Court justice - live updates
President Trump is announcing the selection of his second Supreme Court justice Monday night at 9 p.m.

Within a few days of Justice Anthony Kennedy's announcement that he would retire from the court this summer,
Mr. Trump had narrowed the field to three: Judges Brett Kavanaugh, Amy Coney Barrett, and Raymond Kethledge -- all young and all viewed as conservative.

But by Sunday, CBS News chief White House correspondent Major Garrett reported that two candidates had risen to the top of the list -- Kavanaugh and a new candidate, Judge Thomas Hardiman, who was the runner-up to Neil Gorsuch for the President's first Supreme Court nomination.
https://www.cbsnews.com/live-news/trump-supreme-court-justice-pick-nominee-announcement-2018-07-09-live-updates/

Zippyjuan
07-09-2018, 12:58 PM
Kavanaugh is everyone's LAST choice, except TPTB.... grassroots/base all want Barrett or Kethledge or Lee.

No matter. Trump will do what Trump does.

Even Trump may not know. He has been known to change his mind on things at the last minute. He also likes to keep people guessing.

A Son of Liberty
07-09-2018, 01:11 PM
Mike Lee or bust

EBounding
07-09-2018, 01:34 PM
I'm very excited for the prime-time extravaganza.

jllundqu
07-09-2018, 01:58 PM
I'm very excited for the prime-time extravaganza.

He does have a flair for the dramatic!

Swordsmyth
07-09-2018, 03:00 PM

Why would Trump pick a Russiagater for AG?

dannno
07-09-2018, 03:01 PM

Because they are both in on it.

CaptUSA
07-09-2018, 03:03 PM

Really? Now you’re trashing the Judge? Does your trumpcuckery know no limits?!

Swordsmyth
07-09-2018, 03:05 PM
Really? Now you’re trashing the Judge? Does your trumpcuckery know no limits?!

I have an entire thread devoted to Judge Swamp's betrayal of the law and Constitution, he jumped on the phoney Russiagate bandwagon early and keeps beating the drum like the rest of the MSM.

kpitcher
07-09-2018, 03:15 PM
I'm really amused that Trump is going all out for this special edition of Apprentice : White House. We get the You're hired. Maybe he can start doing special editions when people get fired. Maybe he can get closer to his roots as a reality star.

Like whomever is supposed to be in charge of keeping track of immigration kids? When a court orders a deadline and you can't reach it because they can't identify where a kid was sent, that should be an easy fire. Just the first thing that came to mind today.

Who knows, if it was cleaning the swamp I may actually watch.

Anti Globalist
07-09-2018, 03:44 PM
No Trump is going to surprise everyone and nominate Mike Lee.

Krugminator2
07-09-2018, 05:24 PM
Kavanaugh is the betting favorite favorite.

Judge says Hardiman or Kethledge. Given that no one thinks Kethledge will get it, we'll see if Judge actually has good info on Hardiman.

http://www.frontpageindex.com/2018/07/judge-nap-i-believe-president-has.html

PursuePeace
07-09-2018, 05:34 PM
I think it's going to be Hardiman.

charrob
07-09-2018, 06:28 PM
I think it's going to be Hardiman.

Hardiman ruled there's no 1st Amendment right to film police. Absolutely awful. :mad:

Hoping it might be Mike Lee, his brother, or Napolitano.

spudea
07-09-2018, 06:43 PM
well Kavanaugh surges ahead on predict it. Somebody knows.... or do they?

PursuePeace
07-09-2018, 06:59 PM
Hardiman ruled there's no 1st Amendment right to film police. Absolutely awful. :mad:

Agreed.

Hoping for Mike Lee, too.
Don't think there's really much chance.
But, ya never know.

AuH20
07-09-2018, 07:06 PM
Fuck you Cuomo. I'm not thrilled with Kavanaugh, but he's going to burn down the SAFE Act.

Like Hardiman, they said, Kavanaugh does not believe the Heller decision, written by the late Justice Antonin Scalia, goes far enough to protect gun rights. In the Heller decision, the court held that the Second Amendment protects an individual’s right to a firearm, while allowing regulatory oversight — the degree to which has not been established by the court

Kavenaugh’s dissent -

In Heller, the Supreme Court held that handguns – the vast majority of which today are semi-automatic – are constitutionally protected because they have not traditionally been banned and are in common use by law-abiding citizens. There is no meaningful or persuasive constitutional distinction between semi-automatic handguns and semiautomatic rifles. Semi-automatic rifles, like semi-automatic handguns, have not traditionally been banned and are in common use by law-abiding citizens for self-defense in the home, hunting, and other lawful uses.

Zippyjuan
07-09-2018, 07:06 PM
And the winner is.....Brett Kavanaugh.

AuH20
07-09-2018, 07:10 PM
LOL So scared.

AuH20
07-09-2018, 07:12 PM

Swordsmyth
07-09-2018, 07:14 PM
RBG next. -Q

We need Lee next.

Breyer can't last much longer either.

AuH20
07-09-2018, 07:16 PM
Kavanaugh should slide through the Senate. That's one of the reasons he was chosen. Bushies run the Senate anyway.

AuH20
07-09-2018, 07:17 PM
Stone is not happy.

Brian4Liberty
07-09-2018, 07:17 PM
Jesuit? Another Catholic. That must be almost a requirement.

Swordsmyth
07-09-2018, 07:18 PM
Kavanaugh should slide through the Senate. That's one of the reasons he was chosen. Bushies run the Senate anyway.

Hopefully we can change that before RBG and Breyer go.

dude58677
07-09-2018, 07:19 PM
Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, and Mike Lee will vote against Brett K.

AuH20
07-09-2018, 07:20 PM

Doubtful with the midterms approaching. They need him installed ASAP.

Swordsmyth
07-09-2018, 07:22 PM
I wanted Lee but according to this we could have done worse:

Mike Lee would be best, and here's a chart which demonstrates it. In a study that created a metric of each candidates "Scalia-ness" (https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3100298), Lee was #1 by a lot. Gorsuch was 4rd, Kavanaugh 5th, and Kethledge 14th with a negative Scalia rating.

https://i.imgur.com/6ViHlt8.jpg

Amy Barrett was not included in the Scalia-ness study, but I prefer her out of the three supposed finalists. She is relatively young and worked for Scalia. Kavanaugh loses points for his close ties to Bush and DC in general. Kethledge could be flakey.

Swordsmyth
07-09-2018, 07:24 PM

Perhaps Trump wants to lose on Kavanaugh so that SCOTUS is a midterm get out the vote issue.

nbhadja
07-09-2018, 07:25 PM
Kavanaugh is very good against immigration, so that's a plus. He is a solid pick.

Feeding the Abscess
07-09-2018, 07:30 PM

What better way to disrupt the political process and sew seeds of discord throughout the establishment than to leave the supreme court at a 4-4 deadlock unless your favored candidate is approved?

Unless, of course, Trump isn't actually about smashing the establishment.

Brian4Liberty
07-09-2018, 07:30 PM

Probably a good reason that a sitting Senator should never be on the list at all.

Cleaner44
07-09-2018, 07:42 PM
If this is accurate, I am happy...

https://www.axios.com/brett-kavanaugh-conservative-ideological-political-views-9d009f84-0e0a-4ebf-ac82-084489a108f2.html

https://graphics.axios.com/2018-07-09-trump-sc-nominee/images/2018-07-09-trump-sc-nominee-desktop.jpg

Krugminator2
07-09-2018, 07:42 PM

Zero chance. Rand is the only person who expressed dismay but he isn't voting against a Republican Supreme Court Nominee. There isn't enough to dislike about Kavanaugh to take that kind of stand.

Zippyjuan
07-09-2018, 07:46 PM
What better way to disrupt the political process and sew seeds of discord throughout the establishment than to leave the supreme court at a 4-4 deadlock unless your favored candidate is approved?

He got his list of nominees from the Federalist Society. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/leonard-leo-supreme-court-federalist-society_us_5b354230e4b0f3c2219f4082

nbhadja
07-09-2018, 07:48 PM
Jack Posobiec
����
‏Verified account JackPosobiec

Brett Kavanaugh: “An illegal immigrant worker is not a lawful employee in the United States”

Krugminator2
07-09-2018, 07:48 PM
]What better way to disrupt the political process and sew seeds of discord throughout the establishment than to leave the supreme court at a 4-4 deadlock unless your favored candidate is approved?
[/B]

That's the worst idea I've ever heard.

Not to mention Kavanaugh is one of the least likely people to get confirmed of the people mentioned to fill Kennedy's spot.

navy-vet
07-09-2018, 07:50 PM
Jack Posobiec
����
‏Verified account @Jack (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/member.php?u=84)Posobiec

Brett Kavanaugh: “An illegal immigrant worker is not a lawful employee in the United States”

and....

Swordsmyth
07-09-2018, 07:52 PM
Kavanaugh is one of the least likely people to get confirmed of the people mentioned to fill Kennedy's spot.

Why do you say that?

It would fit with this if you are correct.

Perhaps Trump wants to lose on Kavanaugh so that SCOTUS is a midterm get out the vote issue.

We may get Lee yet.

AuH20
07-09-2018, 07:54 PM
Bushies control the purse strings in the GOP. Kavanaugh will be ratified through. Collins and Murkowski need every last dollar.

Zippyjuan
07-09-2018, 07:59 PM

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/business/article214554095.html

Maybe not. He usually supports the party.

The Latest: Sen. Rand Paul keeping 'open mind' on Kavanaugh

Republican Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky says he's keeping an "open mind" on President Donald Trump's nomination of Brett Kavanaugh for the Supreme Court.

The conservative senator tweeted Monday that he looks forward to the upcoming Senate hearings, reviewing the circuit court judge's record "and meeting personally with Judge Kavanaugh, with an open mind."

Paul was among conservatives signing on to a statement of support last week for fellow conservative Sen. Mike Lee of Utah.

Conservative and libertarian-leaning activists raised concerns about Kavanaugh. Some conservatives said Paul said he might oppose a Kavanaugh nomination, but Paul did not publicly say he would vote against him.

That was just tonight after the nomination. However previously: http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/07/kavanaughs-supreme-court-bid-gets-conservative-pushback.html

Given the very narrow margin Republicans have in the Senate (if Democrats unite against Trump’s nominee and John McCain remains away from Washington, the GOP needs every single senator) perhaps the most credible threat to the former Ken Starr assistant comes from the ever-cranky Rand Paul, as the Associated Press reports:

Paul has told colleagues that he wouldn’t vote in favor of Kavanaugh if the judge is nominated, citing Kavanaugh’s role during the Bush administration on cases involving executive privilege and the disclosure of documents to Congress.

But then Paul has a long history of threatening to break with his party on key votes, and an equally long history of backing off, particularly if Trump asks him to get in line. It appears POTUS has already put in a call to the Kentuckian.

Swordsmyth
07-09-2018, 08:12 PM
President Trump has confirmed that his nominee to succeed Justice Anthony Kennedy on the Supreme Court will be 53-year-old appeals court judge Brett Kavanaugh, the long-reputed frontrunner. The White House managed to keep Trump's pick a secret until roughly 8 minutes before the President's planned announcement, when NBC News confirmed that Kavanaugh had clinched the nomination.

BREAKING: "Tonight, it is my honor and privilege to announce that I will nominate Judge Brett Kavanaugh to the United States Supreme Court." https://t.co/5RVZrIaUdm pic.twitter.com/5KTY5lO2Mc (https://t.co/5KTY5lO2Mc)
— ABC News (@ABC) July 10, 2018 (https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1016489356851212290?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw) As Trump pointed out, a dozen of Kavanaugh's 300 DC Circuit opinions have been adopted by the Supreme Court. "There is no one in America more qualified for this position or more deserving." During his remarks, Kavanaugh said his judicial philosophy is straighforward. A judge must interpret the law, not make the law, and interpret the constitution as written. Kavanaugh went to Yale and Yale Law and clerked for Kennedy on the Supreme Court, where he reportedly first met Neil Gorsuch, Trump's first SCOTUS nominee.
As Bloomberg (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/live-blog/2018-07-09/president-donald-trump-announces-his-supreme-court-nominee) points out, expect a lot of focus on Kavanaugh's 2009 paper arguing that a president shouldn't have to face the distractions of criminal prosecutions and lawsuits while president. Kavanaugh could cast the deciding vote on whether Trump must cooperate with a grand jury subpoena from Robert Mueller. Already, Democratic Senator Richard Blumenthal is telling reporters that he would ask Kavanaugh to recuse himself from cases related to the Mueller probe.
By choosing Kavanaugh, President Trump has satisfied online bookmakers and Washington insiders alike by selecting Brett Kavanaugh, long rumored to be the front-runner, as his pick to succeed Justice Anthony Kennedy. While he reportedly faced opposition from some social conservatives over his ties to former President George W Bush, Kavanaugh benefited from a lengthy history of conservative rulings (he’s served in his current role as circuit judge for the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia since 2006) and the support of White House counsel Don McGahn III, who was tasked with leading the search. Though his rulings on some issues - notably Obamacare - have been seen as controversial by some.
If confirmed, Kavanaugh could trigger a historic shift in the balance of power, creating one of the most conservative courts in generations. This could in turn shift to the right the Court's position on issues including abortion, gay rights, affirmative action, the death penalty and federal regulatory power, according to Bloomberg (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-10/court-pick-kavanaugh-is-washington-insider-regulation-skeptic). He faced stiff opposition from Democrats when he was nominated by Bush in 2006 for the appeals court. His pro-business bona fides including being the only dissenting voice when health insurer Anthem appealed a lower court's rejection of its attempted merger with Cigna.

Democrats said Kavanaugh was too partisan to become a judge. Senator Chuck Schumer of New York, now the Democratic leader, called Kavanaugh a "very bright legal foot soldier." He was eventually confirmed in 2006.
On the appeals court, Kavanaugh has largely been a foe of government regulation, voting to strike down rules issued by the Environmental Protection Agency under President Barack Obama. He expressed doubt about Obama’s Clean Power Plan, though the appeals court never ruled on the issue.
Kavanaugh also said he would have thrown out the Obama-era net neutrality rule, which barred internet service providers from slowing or blocking rivals’ content. He voted to give the president the power to fire the director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau for any reason.
[...]
Kavanaugh voted to throw out a constitutional challenge to Obamacare in 2011 but left open the possibility the law could be overturned later. He said his colleagues’ decision to uphold the law, and its requirement to either buy insurance or pay a penalty, offered "no real limiting principle" and would have "extraordinary ramifications."
Although he hasn’t ruled directly on abortion rights, he sided with the Trump administration in a fight with an undocumented teenager seeking to end her pregnancy while in federal custody.
In a dissenting opinion, Kavanaugh said he would have blocked the girl, who was 15 weeks pregnant, from having an abortion for at least another week. The government said it was trying to find a sponsor for the girl so that officials wouldn’t have to "facilitate" her trip to an abortion clinic. The girl later had the procedure.
According to one measure cited by Axios (https://www.axios.com/brett-kavanaugh-conservative-ideological-political-views-9d009f84-0e0a-4ebf-ac82-084489a108f2.html), Kavanaugh would be the second-most conservative justice on the court.
https://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/inline-images/2018.07.09scotusgraphic.JPG
Kavanaugh is also widely known for the fact that he drafted much of the Starr Report, which led to Bill Clinton's impeachment, and also included graphic details about sexual acts with White House intern Monica Lewinsky. Trump’s nomination has set in motion what could be a weekslong confirmation process as Republicans struggle with an precariously flimsy majority of one (thanks to Sen. John McCain’s expected absence due to illness). As the Wall Street Journal points out, both pro- and anti-choice groups are planning millions of dollars in ad buys targeting the states of potential swing voters on both sides of the aisle. According to Marc Short, the Whtie House legislative director, Kavanaugh is expected to be confirmed by Oct. 1. Though given the high stakes and the number of opinions Kavanaugh has authored, Democrats could try to stretch it out until after the mid-terms.
Unsurprisingly, the RNC cheered Kavanaugh's nomination, calling him a "champion of the rule of law."

NEW: "Judge Kavanaugh is the best choice to succeed Justice Anthony Kennedy and Senate Democrats must put partisan politics aside and vote to confirm him to the Supreme Court," the RNC says in a statement https://t.co/MGNpLeb2xk pic.twitter.com/EBWdjsoGz9 (https://t.co/EBWdjsoGz9)
— ABC News Politics (@ABCPolitics) July 10, 2018 (https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/1016495504686043136?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw) The NRA also hailed him as "a fantastic pick." But at least one swing-vote Republican refused to outright endorse him: Susan Collins said only that Kavanaugh had "impressive credentials."
Minority Leader Chuck Schumer is also out with a statement:

"Trump has put reproductive rights and freedoms and health care protections for millions of Americans on the judicial chopping block," Schumer said. "His own writings make clear that he would rule against reproductive rights and freedoms, and that he would welcome challenges to the constitutionality of the Affordable Care Act."
[...]
"If he were to be confirmed, women’s reproductive rights would be in the hands of five men on the Supreme Court."
[...]
"I will oppose Judge Kavanaugh’s nomination with everything I have, and I hope a bipartisan majority will do the same. The stakes are simply too high for anything less."
Given Kavanaugh's history of siding with business over workers, the AFL-CIO also released a statement slamming his nomination.

Kavanaugh "routinely rules against working families, regularly rejects employees’ right to receive employer-provided health care, too often sides with employers in denying employees relief from discrimination in the workplace and promotes overturning well-established U.S. Supreme Court precedent."

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-07-09/watch-president-trump-unveils-his-scotus-pick

Krugminator2
07-09-2018, 08:14 PM
Why do you say that?

It would fit with this if you are correct.

We may get Lee yet.

He'll get confirmed but it is possible with all Republican votes whereas Hardiman would have pealed off as many as 5 to 10 Dems.

I know McConnell was really pushing hard to nominate someone other than Barrett or Kavanaugh because they are both more problematic to get through the Senate.

eleganz
07-09-2018, 08:27 PM

No way he would leave that up to chance. He knows full well that there is a good chance he could be a lame duck for the next 6 years.

I doubt Kavanaugh will be an activist judge either so chances of overturning Roe or Heller is slim.

Rand will probably play ball, nothing to gain from opposing Kavanaugh, its not like the left will stop trying to kill him anyways.

specsaregood
07-09-2018, 08:27 PM
Just wondering, but since Kennedy is still on the job, I wonder if he didn't like the pick if he could rescind his resignation?

tommyrp12
07-09-2018, 08:29 PM
https://www.nationalreview.com/bench-memos/judge-kavanaughs-record-on-second-amendment-gun-rights/

An excerpt from his dissent:
In Heller, the Supreme Court held that handguns – the vast majority of which today are semi-automatic – are constitutionally protected because they have not traditionally been banned and are in common use by law-abiding citizens. There is no meaningful or persuasive constitutional distinction between semi-automatic handguns and semiautomatic rifles. Semi-automatic rifles, like semi-automatic handguns, have not traditionally been banned and are in common use by law-abiding citizens for self-defense in the home, hunting, and other lawful uses. Moreover, semiautomatic handguns are used in connection with violent crimes far more than semi-automatic rifles are. It follows from Heller’s protection of semi-automatic handguns that semi-automatic rifles are also constitutionally protected and that D.C.’s ban on them is unconstitutional. (By contrast, fully automatic weapons, also known as machine guns, have traditionally been banned and may continue to be banned after Heller.)
D.C.’s registration requirement, which is significantly more stringent than any other federal or state gun law in the United States, is likewise unconstitutional. Heller and later McDonald said that regulations on the sale, possession, or use of guns are permissible if they are within the class of traditional, “longstanding” gun regulations in the United States. Registration of all lawfully possessed guns – as distinct from licensing of gun owners or mandatory recordkeeping by gun sellers – has not traditionally been required in the United States and even today remains highly unusual. Under Heller’s history- and tradition-based test, D.C.’s registration requirement is therefore unconstitutional.

So as long as what you have hasn't been banned (yet) it falls within tradition? But once they are banned the ban is constitutional?

https://i.imgur.com/YOdmLQL.png

RonZeplin
07-09-2018, 08:35 PM

I like the idea, but the danger is that he gets pushed through. I don't like how this is being rushed to get done before the midterms. Kennedy really put the squeeze on Trump/the voters with the timing of his resignation. Someone is running a squeeze play.

Swordsmyth
07-09-2018, 08:39 PM
I like the idea, but the danger is that he gets pushed through. I don't like how this is being rushed to get done before the midterms. Kennedy really put the squeeze on Trump with the timing of his resignation.

I think Trump chose the timing to affect the midterms on purpose, he may have some "no" votes lined up behind the scenes to ensure Kavanaugh will fail.

Swordsmyth
07-09-2018, 08:40 PM
No way he would leave that up to chance. He knows full well that there is a good chance he could be a lame duck for the next 6 years.

I think he has plans for a Red wave this year.

Fortune favors the bold.

Zippyjuan
07-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Or perhaps he was worried about Republicans losing the Senate in the midterms- making approval of anybody very difficult.

Swordsmyth
07-09-2018, 08:42 PM
Or perhaps he was worried about Republicans losing the Senate in the midterms- making approval of anybody very difficult.

Keep on DREAMing Juan.

lilymc
07-09-2018, 08:52 PM
"In 2009, he wrote that Mr. Clinton should have been spared the investigation"

That's all I need to hear. Thumbs down.

eleganz
07-09-2018, 09:07 PM
I think Trump chose the timing to affect the midterms on purpose, he may have some "no" votes lined up behind the scenes to ensure Kavanaugh will fail.

I'm not sure I sign on to the Trump 5D chess master theory but I can say that it would make for some great entertainment.

Very unlikely scenario though, that would be putting way too much on the table all at once. Having read some of Trump's books, I doubt he would make a move like that. He is a big talker and showman but he is pretty pragmatic.

enhanced_deficit
07-09-2018, 09:19 PM
Jarvanka pick ?

Let's wait till al the facts come out.
In quick look nominee appears to be swamp connected , could be a stealth plant of left wing libs/neocons etc.

Obamacare Savior

Trump ran firmly against Obamacare and has since tried to tear it down. But Kavanaugh, while on the D.C. federal bench, is accused of helping to keep Barack Obama’s signature achievement alive in a 2011 case based on the law’s individual mandate.

http://www.resourcesforlife.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/20160712tu0459-donald-trump-universal-healthcare-1300x478-1080x478.jpg

Brian4Liberty
07-09-2018, 09:30 PM
https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/1016489038595940353

kpitcher
07-09-2018, 09:40 PM
He believes the NSA had the power to do what they did. I'm too much of a Snowden supporter to ever agree with that. However, ultimately this is the reason why he's been picked

http://www.businessinsider.com/brett-kavanaugh-opinions-on-impeachment-and-indictment-2018-7

Brett Kavanaugh, who President Donald Trump nominated to replace the retiring Supreme Court justice Anthony Kennedy, previously contributed to a 1998 report that made a case for President Bill Clinton's impeachment.

This experience has shaped Kavanaugh's belief that presidents should not be indicted or distracted by investigations while in office.

"Whether the Constitution allows indictment of a sitting President is debatable," he has said.

Kavanaugh instead believes impeachment is the proper way to deal with a president's serious and "dastardly" misbehavior.

Matt Collins
07-09-2018, 09:58 PM
Will he sell us out too like Gorsuch did on taxes?

dude58677
07-09-2018, 10:06 PM

That's what I want to see in a Justice which is someone who will rule that the IRS has exceeded it's authority under the original intent of the 16th amendment but we keep getting all the Harvard justices.

nikcers
07-09-2018, 10:40 PM
Nice prediction op, I'm glad it's at least a neocon instead of a progressive. The neocons at least can't run on an anti second amendment platform.

As much as I disagree with neocon foreign policy the Supreme Court doesn't really have anything to do with foreign policy.

I am not sure if this moves the Supreme Court in any direction, I just hope it will be party line voting...

If they don't vote party lines then they might have a chance to install aca 2.0, patriotic act 3.0, gun control... Let's just hope that they vote party lines

Aratus
07-09-2018, 10:49 PM
well Kavanaugh surges ahead on predict it. Somebody knows.... or do they?

And the winner is.....Brett Kavanaugh.

Mister K is a D.C insider who worked under Kenneth Starr. He is SHRUB connected.

eleganz
07-09-2018, 10:50 PM

I've always advocated to my friends that an income tax is involuntary whereas a sales tax is voluntary and people could get behind that.

Aratus
07-09-2018, 10:53 PM
The lady judge is something of a newbie. Less time on the bench,
less thoughts in print, less enemies behind the scenes. Less of a
political target, and less 'insider' connected. One of the other two
finalists actually drove cab in Waltham, Massachusetts. The other
guy sounded like he was Anthony Kennedy's faithful apprentice...

Aratus
07-09-2018, 10:59 PM
https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/1016489038595940353

Cool...

PursuePeace
07-09-2018, 11:01 PM
Yes. I know.
I can't post tweets, properly.
Back off.

Mike Lee

Verified account

@SenMikeLee
4h4 hours ago
More
Judge Kavanaugh is a well-respected jurist who deservedly received bipartisan support when confirmed to the D.C. Circuit in 2006. I know him to be a smart and fair judge, one of the most admired appellate judges in the country. #SCOTUS #SCOTUSpick

Mike Lee

Verified account

@SenMikeLee
4h4 hours ago
More
I look forward to the process in the Senate, getting to know Judge Kavanaugh and his family better in coming months, and, hopefully, voting to confirm him to the Supreme Court in the fall. #SCOTUS #SCOTUSpick

Swordsmyth
07-09-2018, 11:05 PM
Yes. I know.
Back off.

Mike Lee

Verified account

@SenMikeLee
4h4 hours ago
More
Judge Kavanaugh is a well-respected jurist who deservedly received bipartisan support when confirmed to the D.C. Circuit in 2006. I know him to be a smart and fair judge, one of the most admired appellate judges in the country. #SCOTUS #SCOTUSpick

Mike Lee

Verified account

@SenMikeLee
4h4 hours ago
More
I look forward to the process in the Senate, getting to know Judge Kavanaugh and his family better in coming months, and, hopefully, voting to confirm him to the Supreme Court in the fall. #SCOTUS #SCOTUSpick

Hopefully Trump has other "no" votes lined up and Lee is just looking like a team player so he can be nominated next.

enhanced_deficit
07-09-2018, 11:06 PM
Despite some comments on twitters, there is no MSM report saying that he was architect of Bush's enhanced torture policy.

But he does appear to be a puppet of neocons/police staters/war lobbies types etc.

5-D chess, lose on purpose and in the process disorient the opponents.
Negotiation tactic #66. So much winning.

PursuePeace
07-09-2018, 11:09 PM
Hopefully Trump has other "no" votes lined up and Lee is just looking like a team player so he can be nominated next.

Ha. I was thinking along the same lines.

milgram
07-09-2018, 11:16 PM
Massive protest!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DhtiqzLW4AAi_Oj.jpg

https://twitter.com/TimRunsHisMouth/status/1016514640682024961

Anyway, I don't trust this Kavanaugh but we'll see what happens. He's made some good rulings and he should be confirmed without too much trouble.

nikcers
07-09-2018, 11:24 PM
Despite some comments on twitters, there is no MSM report saying that he was architect of Bush's enhanced torture policy.

But he does appear to be a puppet of neocons/police staters/war lobbies types etc.

5-D chess, lose on purpose and in the process disorient the opponents.
Negotiation tactic #66. So much winning.

Hopefully just plain ole bugs bunny. Wait until your opposition lets their guard down because they aren't paying attention and then drop the hammer. Trump doesn't win much political capital by nominating this guy but he has unlimited political capital to spend right now, so it would be very unlikely that he wouldn't spend all he can possibly spend.

enhanced_deficit
07-09-2018, 11:26 PM
Mike Lee

Verified account

@SenMikeLee
4h4 hours ago
More

Is Lee any more qualified than his friend fellow Christian Zionist/Senator Ted Cruz (sometimes called 'lyin Ted')?
Cruz is also strongly supported by widely respected legal scholar Alan Dershowitz and AIPAC.

Utah Sen. Mike Lee Attends U.S. Jerusalem Embassy Opening Amid Deadly Clashes
May 14, 2018

http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/kuer/files/styles/medium/public/201805/screen_shot_2018-05-14_at_1.05.50_pm.png (http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/kuer/files/styles/x_large/public/201805/screen_shot_2018-05-14_at_1.05.50_pm.png)

Swordsmyth
07-09-2018, 11:37 PM
Is Lee any more qualified than his friend fellow Christian Zionist/Senator Ted Cruz (sometimes called 'lyin Ted')?
Cruz is also strongly supported by widely respected legal scholar Alan Dershowitz and AIPAC.

Utah Sen. Mike Lee Attends U.S. Jerusalem Embassy Opening Amid Deadly Clashes
May 14, 2018

http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/kuer/files/styles/medium/public/201805/screen_shot_2018-05-14_at_1.05.50_pm.png (http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/kuer/files/styles/x_large/public/201805/screen_shot_2018-05-14_at_1.05.50_pm.png)

https://www.thenewamerican.com/freedom-index

Sen. Mike Lee (https://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=38&Itemid=828&nameid=L000577) - 92%

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by milgram http://www.ronpaulforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=6649421#post6649421)

Mike Lee would be best, and here's a chart which demonstrates it. In a study that created a metric of each candidates "Scalia-ness" (https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3100298), Lee was #1 by a lot. Gorsuch was 4rd, Kavanaugh 5th, and Kethledge 14th with a negative Scalia rating.

https://i.imgur.com/6ViHlt8.jpg

Amy Barrett was not included in the Scalia-ness study, but I prefer her out of the three supposed finalists. She is relatively young and worked for Scalia. Kavanaugh loses points for his close ties to Bush and DC in general. Kethledge could be flakey.

SCOTUS has little to do with foreign policy so that should all but nullify any Israel worries.

RonZeplin
07-09-2018, 11:54 PM
Mister K is a D.C insider who worked under Kenneth Starr. He is SHRUB connected.

The Catholic A-Team

https://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/170524075235-donald-and-melania-trump-meet-pope-francis-exlarge-169.jpg

SCOTUS, White House, IMF

devil21
07-10-2018, 12:11 AM

Called it.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?523635-SCOTUS-Kennedy-Announces-Retirement&p=6645694&viewfull=1#post6645694

It'll be yet another Jesuit Skull and Bones Ivy Leaguer.

It's quite predictable, actually. SCOTUS works for the bankers, who in turn work for the Vatican. See my sig.

Ever read the Jesuit oath? It's fuckin' blood curdling.

http://www.reformation.org/jesuit-oath.html

"When a Jesuit of the minor rank is to be elevated to command, he is conducted into the Chapel of the Convent of the Order, where there are only three others present, the principal or Superior standing in front of the altar. On either side stands a monk, one of whom holds a banner of yellow and white, which are the Papal colors, and the other a black banner with a dagger and red cross above a skull and crossbones, with the word INRI, and below them the words IUSTUM, NECAR, REGES, IMPIOUS. The meaning of which is: It is just to exterminate or annihilate impious or heretical Kings, Governments, or Rulers. Upon the floor is a red cross at which the postulant or candidate kneels. The Superior hands him a small black crucifix, which he takes in his left hand and presses to his heart, and the Superior at the same time presents to him a dagger, which he grasps by the blade and holds the point against his heart, the Superior still holding it by the hilt, and thus addresses the postulant:"

Superior:

My son, heretofore you have been taught to act the dissembler: among Roman Catholics to be a Roman Catholic, and to be a spy even among your own brethren; to believe no man, to trust no man. Among the Reformers, to be a reformer; among the Huguenots, to be a Huguenot; among the Calvinists, to be a Calvinist; among other Protestants, generally to be a Protestant, and obtaining their confidence, to seek even to preach from their pulpits, and to denounce with all the vehemence in your nature our Holy Religion and the Pope; and even to descend so low as to become a Jew among Jews, that you might be enabled to gather together all information for the benefit of your Order as a faithful soldier of the Pope.

You have been taught to insidiously plant the seeds of jealousy and hatred between communities, provinces, states that were at peace, and incite them to deeds of blood, involving them in war with each other, and to create revolutions and civil wars in countries that were independent and prosperous, cultivating the arts and the sciences and enjoying the blessings of peace. To take sides with the combatants and to act secretly with your brother Jesuit, who might be engaged on the other side, but openly opposed to that with which you might be connected, only that the Church might be the gainer in the end, in the conditions fixed in the treaties for peace and that the end justifies the means.

You have been taught your duty as a spy, to gather all statistics, facts and information in your power from every source; to ingratiate yourself into the confidence of the family circle of Protestants and heretics of every class and character, as well as that of the merchant, the banker, the lawyer, among the schools and universities, in parliaments and legislatures, and the judiciaries and councils of state, and to be all things to all men, for the Pope's sake, whose servants we are unto death.

You have received all your instructions heretofore as a novice, a neophyte, and have served as co-adjurer, confessor and priest, but you have not yet been invested with all that is necessary to command in the Army of Loyola in the service of the Pope. You must serve the proper time as the instrument and executioner as directed by your superiors; for none can command here who has not consecrated his labors with the blood of the heretic; for "without the shedding of blood no man can be saved." Therefore, to fit yourself for your work and make your own salvation sure, you will, in addition to your former oath of obedience to your order and allegiance to the Pope, repeat after me---

The Extreme Oath of the Jesuits:

"1, _ now, in the presence of Almighty God, the Blessed Virgin Mary, the blessed Michael the Archangel, the blessed St. John the Baptist, the holy Apostles St. Peter and St. Paul and all the saints and sacred hosts of heaven, and to you, my ghostly father, the Superior General of the Society of Jesus, founded by St. Ignatius Loyola in the Pontificate of Paul the Third, and continued to the present, do by the womb of the virgin, the matrix of God, and the rod of Jesus Christ, declare and swear, that his holiness the Pope is Christ's Vice-regent and is the true and only head of the Catholic or Universal Church throughout the earth; and that by virtue of the keys of binding and loosing, given to his Holiness by my Savior, Jesus Christ, he hath power to depose heretical kings, princes, states, commonwealths and governments, all being illegal without his sacred confirmation and that they may safely be destroyed. Therefore, to the utmost of my power I shall and will defend this doctrine of his Holiness' right and custom against all usurpers of the heretical or Protestant authority whatever, especially the Lutheran of Germany, Holland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and the now pretended authority and churches of England and Scotland, and branches of the same now established in Ireland and on the Continent of America and elsewhere; and all adherents in regard that they be usurped and heretical, opposing the sacred Mother Church of Rome. I do now renounce and disown any allegiance as due to any heretical king, prince or state named Protestants or Liberals, or obedience to any of the laws, magistrates or officers.

I do further declare that the doctrine of the churches of England and Scotland, of the Calvinists, Huguenots and others of the name Protestants or Liberals to be damnable and they themselves damned who will not forsake the same.

I do further declare, that I will help, assist, and advise all or any of his Holiness' agents in any place wherever I shall be, in Switzerland, Germany, Holland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, England, Ireland or America, or in any other Kingdom or territory I shall come to, and do my uttermost to extirpate the heretical Protestants or Liberals' doctrines and to destroy all their pretended powers, regal or otherwise.

I do further promise and declare, that notwithstanding I am dispensed with, to assume my religion heretical, for the propaganda of the Mother Church's interest, to keep secret and private all her agents' counsels from time to time, as they may entrust me and not to divulge, directly or indirectly, by word, writing or circumstance whatever; but to execute all that shall be proposed, given in charge or discovered unto me, by you, my ghostly father, or any of this sacred covenant.

I do further promise and declare, that I will have no opinion or will of my own, or any mental reservation whatever, even as a corpse or cadaver (perinde ac cadaver), but will unhesitatingly obey each and every command that I may receive from my superiors in the Militia of the Pope and of Jesus Christ.

That I may go to any part of the world withersoever I may be sent, to the frozen regions of the North, the burning sands of the desert of Africa, or the jungles of India, to the centers of civilization of Europe, or to the wild haunts of the barbarous savages of America, without murmuring or repining, and will be submissive in all things whatsoever communicated to me.

I furthermore promise and declare that I will, when opportunity present, make and wage relentless war, secretly or openly, against all heretics, Protestants and Liberals, as I am directed to do, to extirpate and exterminate them from the face of the whole earth; and that I will spare neither age, sex or condition; and that I will hang, waste, boil, flay, strangle and bury alive these infamous heretics, rip up the stomachs and wombs of their women and crush their infants' heads against the walls, in order to annihilate forever their execrable race. That when the same cannot be done openly, I will secretly use the poisoned cup, the strangulating cord, the steel of the poniard or the leaden bullet, regardless of the honor, rank, dignity, or authority of the person or persons, whatever may be their condition in life, either public or private, as I at any time may be directed so to do by any agent of the Pope or Superior of the Brotherhood of the Holy Faith, of the Society of Jesus.

In confirmation of which, I hereby dedicate my life, my soul and all my corporal powers, and with this dagger which I now receive, I will subscribe my name written in my own blood, in testimony thereof; and should I prove false or weaken in my determination, may my brethren and fellow soldiers of the Militia of the Pope cut off my hands and my feet, and my throat from ear to ear, my belly opened and sulphur burned therein, with all the punishment that can be inflicted upon me on earth and my soul be tortured by demons in an eternal hell forever!

All of which, I, _, do swear by the Blessed Trinity and blessed Sacraments, which I am now to receive, to perform and on my part to keep inviolable; and do call all the heavenly and glorious host of heaven to witness the blessed Sacrament of the Eucharist, and witness the same further with my name written and with the point of this dagger dipped in my own blood and sealed in the face of this holy covenant."

(He receives the wafer from the Superior and writes his name with the point of his dagger dipped in his own blood taken from over his heart.)

Superior:

"You will now rise to your feet and I will instruct you in the Catechism necessary to make yourself known to any member of the Society of Jesus belonging to this rank.

In the first place, you, as a Brother Jesuit, will with another mutually make the ordinary sign of the cross as any ordinary Roman Catholic would; then one cross his wrists, the palms of his hands open, and the other in answer crosses his feet, one above the other; the first points with forefinger of the right hand to the center of the palm of the left, the other with the forefinger of the left hand points to the center of the palm of the right; the first then with his right hand makes a circle around his head, touching it; the other then with the forefinger of his left hand touches the left side of his body just below his heart; the first then with his right hand draws it across the throat of the other, and the latter then with a dagger down the stomach and abdomen of the first. The first then says Iustum; and the other answers Necar; the first Reges. The other answers Impious." (The meaning of which has already been explained.) "The first will then present a small piece of paper folded in a peculiar manner, four times, which the other will cut longitudinally and on opening the name Jesu will be found written upon the head and arms of a cross three times. You will then give and receive with him the following questions and answers:

Question —From whither do you come? Answer — The Holy faith.

Q. —Whom do you serve?

A. —The Holy Father at Rome, the Pope, and the Roman Catholic Church Universal throughout the world.

Q. —Who commands you?

A. —The Successor of St. Ignatius Loyola, the founder of the Society of Jesus or the Soldiers of Jesus Christ.

Q. —Who received you? A. —A venerable man in white hair.

Q. —How?

A. —With a naked dagger, I kneeling upon the cross beneath the banners of the Pope and of our sacred order.

Q. —Did you take an oath?

A. —I did, to destroy heretics and their governments and rulers, and to spare neither age, sex nor condition. To be as a corpse without any opinion or will of my own, but to implicitly obey my Superiors in all things without hesitation of murmuring.

Q. —Will you do that? A. —I will.

Q. —How do you travel? A. —In the bark of Peter the fisherman.

Q. —Whither do you travel? A. —To the four quarters of the globe. Q. —For what purpose?

A. —To obey the orders of my general and Superiors and execute the will of the Pope and faithfully fulfill the conditions of my oaths.

Q. —Go ye, then, into all the world and take possession of all lands in the name of the Pope. He who will not accept him as the Vicar of Jesus and his Vice-regent on earth, let him be accursed and exterminated."

^^^^SCOTUS (and many politicians, bankers, etc.) The stuff that goes on starts to make a lot more sense after you read that...

lilymc
07-10-2018, 12:20 AM
Called it.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?523635-SCOTUS-Kennedy-Announces-Retirement&p=6645694&viewfull=1#post6645694

It's quite predictable, actually. SCOTUS works for the bankers, who in turn work for the Vatican. See my sig.

Ever read the Jesuit oath? It's $#@!in' blood curdling.

http://www.reformation.org/jesuit-oath.html

^^^^SCOTUS

:eek:

nikcers
07-10-2018, 12:24 AM
:eek:

You read it didn't you? You just got put on at least 3 different lists.

Anti Federalist
07-10-2018, 02:45 AM
Sen. Chris Murphy: Brett Kavanaugh Is a ‘Second Amendment Radical’

https://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2018/07/09/sen-chris-murphy-brett-kavanaugh-is-a-second-amendment-radical/

https://media.breitbart.com/media/2018/05/Sen.-Chris-Murphy-640x480.png

Totally looks like the creepy, iconic "Tillie" of Asbury Park NJ. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asbury_Park,_New_Jersey)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kVPX4A9Qo8k/TBUbgEVhNOI/AAAAAAAAADY/Q3hOy8CuHvc/s1600/TWILLY+015+copy.jpg

FvS
07-10-2018, 03:21 AM
A comment that made me laugh from
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/09/opinion/editorials/trump-kavanaugh-supreme-court-senate.html

The next Democratic president, who will be inaugurated in January 2021, will have to have nerves of steel. She should take on a challenge that even the consummate politician, FDR, couldn't surmount. She should pack the Supreme Court. Name four new Justices to the Court, bringing the new number to thirteen, instead of nine. And the Democratic majorities in both chambers of Congress should support her. There will be screams about how unfair that would be, but I think it would be legal. The electoral college is legal, but unfair. Presidents Al Gore, and Hillary Clinton should have chosen the Justices that us usurper Presidents George W. Bush, and Donald Trump got to appoint. And Jimmy Carter never got to appoint a single one. I'd like to blame Dick Cheney for that, but I won't push my luck.

Schifference
07-10-2018, 04:30 AM
and all this time I thought he was grooming Andrew Napolitano.

William Tell
07-10-2018, 07:30 AM
Chuck Baldwin

Trump's SCOTUS pick of Brett Kavanaugh is just more of the same.

A Republican-dominated Supreme Court (SC) gave us Roe v Wade, homosexual marriage and Obamacare. In fact, Republican appointments have dominated the SC for the last 45 years. All of this talk about Republican presidents (and Donald Trump in particular) appointing pro-life, constitutionalist, orginalist justices is just so much hot air.

Republican presidents have given us William Brennan, John Paul Stevens, Harry Blackmun (the man who authored Roe v Wade), Anthony Kennedy (the man who gave us homosexual marriage), and John Roberts (the man who gave us Obamacare). Trump's appointment of Gorsuch and now Kavanaugh are likewise in the mold of the above justices. .

Kavanaugh is a favorite of the establishment. That ALONE should tell you all you need to know. But Kavanaugh, like Roberts, is a totally controlled toady of the Deep State.

Kavanaugh helped Ken Starr cover up the Deep State's murder of former Bill Clinton legal counsel Vince Foster. To quote Joel Skousen:

"The Vince Foster cover-up wasn’t a simple case of an erroneous conclusion based upon weak evidence. This was a full blown conspiracy to intimidate witnesses that proved the official version was a lie. As Starr’s deputy, there is no way that Kavanaugh could not have known that there was a cover-up and conspiracy going on."

"Kavanaugh will always be subject to the blackmail of 'you knew what Starr did to Patrick Knowlton (the key witness exposing the Deep State conspiracy that killed Foster), and you went along with it.' That also implies a more lethal threat of 'you know what they did to Vince Foster when he got cold feet about protecting the Clintons.'"

Trump's appointment of Kavanaugh tells me that Donald Trump is completely controlled by the Deep State--all of his rhetoric to the contrary notwithstanding.

As to the life issue, pro-life organizations are lauding Kavanaugh as staunchly "pro-life." These endorsement don't impress me. Most of the national "pro-life" organizations are sycophants of the Republican Party. They also adamantly refuse to support the only pro-life bills that matter: personhood bills.

That Kavanaugh has ruled in favor of certain restrictions on abortion "rights" is NO indicator that he would do anything to reverse Roe v Wade. In fact. Kavanaugh is on record as saying he respected the government's "precedent" (Roe v Wade decision) on abortion. Pro-life organizations are using the Garza case to prove Kavanaugh's commitment to the right-to-life, but they are conveniently overlooking the fact that in this decision Kavanaugh said the government conceded the teen's right to an abortion but simply stated that delaying the abortion "did not pose an undo burden on that right."

For 45 years, wishy-washy Republicans have bragged about being "pro-life" and have voted for all kinds of compromised "pro-life" bills that have done absolutely NOTHING to overturn Roe v Wade and stop the slaughter of over 60 million unborn babies. Kavanaugh was a clerk for Anthoney Kennedy and rose to power in the rabid neocon administration of G.W. Bush. His "pro-life" credentials are mired in compromise.

Kavanaugh is also being heralded as supporting the pro-Second Amendment Heller decision. But Kavanaugh himself said that the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms could be regulated and restricted by State and Federal law as long as these regulations and restrictions did not take away the right (the Second Amendment) completely. That's hardly a pro-Second Amendment position.

Yes, the radical leftists will vehemently protest Kavanaugh's appointment. That means NOTHING. The Deep State doesn't care about the protestations of the left or the right. All it cares about is putting people in the power that they can control--and Kavanaugh fits the mold perfectly. Like I said, Trump's pick of Brett Kavanaugh is just MORE OF THE SAME.

Todd
07-10-2018, 07:42 AM
That's all I need to hear. Thumbs down.

Yep. I think a lot of people misheard Trump when he said drain the swamp. he was speaking German and said drain his "Schwanz....right in their faces.

RonZeplin
07-10-2018, 08:13 AM
https://media.npr.org/assets/img/2018/07/05/gettyimages-51383827-1bdd27ee832206c9aa09fac09f6ceef3554cba6e-s800-c85.jpg

EBounding
07-10-2018, 08:50 AM

jllundqu
07-10-2018, 09:30 AM

Yeah we all know that's bullshit.

Cruz and Lee won't even put up a fight, and Rand will bitch and moan about 'principles' but would never actually buck Trump's nominee.

CaptUSA
07-10-2018, 09:38 AM
Yeah we all know that's bullshit.

Cruz and Lee won't even put up a fight, and Rand will bitch and moan about 'principles' but would never actually buck Trump's nominee.

Very astute. I expect this to be the case.

timosman
07-10-2018, 10:33 AM
https://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2018/07/09/ocasio-cortez-brett-kavanaughs-view-on-potus-indictment-automatic-disqualification/

https://media.breitbart.com/media/2018/07/brett-kavanaugh-ocasio-cortez-640x480.jpg

Congressional candidate Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez declared Monday evening Judge Brett Kavanaugh’s view on presidential indictments renders President Donald Trump’s Supreme Court nominee unfit to serve.

phill4paul
07-10-2018, 02:31 PM
Not happy with this pick. Thumbs down on this one, Trump.

nikcers
07-10-2018, 03:09 PM
https://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2018/07/09/ocasio-cortez-brett-kavanaughs-view-on-potus-indictment-automatic-disqualification/
The amount of fake promotion of this fringe progressive is so unauthentic it's almost pathetic. I wonder if this will keep going at this rate they tried to push this during the 2016 election but it's not resonating with the voters at all. They don't have any left movement just voters rejecting the establishment and voting for anything they perceive as anti-establishment.

Valli6
07-10-2018, 03:12 PM
Don't like 'im. Gimme Judge Lee.

Swordsmyth
07-10-2018, 04:08 PM

I told everyone he wouldn't be picked because of his age, now that he didn't it blows the whole theory that his Russiagate antics were just designed to ease his confirmation.

Judge Swamp.

Brian4Liberty
07-10-2018, 04:29 PM
https://media.npr.org/assets/img/2018/07/05/gettyimages-51383827-1bdd27ee832206c9aa09fac09f6ceef3554cba6e-s800-c85.jpg

You'd think that Jeb Bush was President with this pick.

Zippyjuan
07-10-2018, 04:42 PM

Napster needs to be talking to this man if he wants a job- he wrote the list Trump picked from (and he wasn't on it): http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-leo-court-search-20180706-story.html

Yes, he is Catholic which may help to explain why so many Catholics wind up on his list.

Leonard Leo of the Federalist Society is the man to see if you aspire to the Supreme Court

Leonard Leo, a vice president of the conservative Federalist Society, will soon have his own grateful bloc of ideological allies on the Supreme Court.

Since the 1990s, he has been one of the most important inside players in the conservative legal movement and the man to see for those who aspire to sit on the nation’s highest courts.

Leo has been a longtime friend and champion of Justice Clarence Thomas, and he played a crucial role in promoting the two most recent Republican appointees to the high court: Justices Samuel A. Alito Jr. and Neil M. Gorsuch.

And on Monday, President Trump is expected to nominate another new justice from the short list prepared by Leo and the Federalist Society.

It is quite an accomplishment for a young lawyer who came to Washington not for money or prestige, but instead to transform the Supreme Court and to bring it in line with conservative principles, including ending a court-created right to abortion.

“No one has been more dedicated to the enterprise of building a Supreme Court that will overturn Roe vs. Wade than the Federalist Society’s Leonard Leo,” Ed Whelan, a former clerk for Justice Antonin Scalia and president of the Ethics and Public Policy Center, wrote in December 2016, shortly before President Trump nominated Gorsuch to fill Scalia’s seat.

For his part, Leo, 52, downplays the talk of overturning the abortion right. “The left has been using Roe vs. Wade as a scare tactic since 1982,” he said in a recent TV interview. “This is not about overturning a particular case. It’s about getting the Constitution right.”

Leo’s detractors scoff at such claims and predict that a solidly conservative court will target liberal rulings.

Leo is always careful to emphasize that Trump is in charge of the court selection process, with the assistance of White House Counsel Donald McGahn, who describes himself as a proud member of the Federalist Society. Leo describes the task of his group and the Heritage Foundation as one of screening judges to find the best thinkers and writers who adhere to the principles of “textualism” and “originalism” that are favored on the right.

This is not an academic exercise, however. Coming out on the wrong side in a highly charged case — like with the dispute over President Obama’s healthcare law — could knock any Republican judge out of contention.

In interviews, Leo often speaks of his Catholic faith and of the role it plays in his daily life. He and his wife, Sally, have had seven children. Their first, Margaret, was born with spina bifida. She was confined to a wheelchair and suffered from medical problems, but he has said she had a spirit that lifted her family. Since her death in 2007, Leo says he has gone to Mass daily.

He first gained attention in 2005 when he played a key role in elevating a little-known judge from New Jersey. Alito had served on the U.S. 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals for 15 years and had compiled a record as a smart and reliable conservative. Though Alito had served as a lawyer in the Reagan administration, he was not a familiar name to many in the Washington legal community. He was, however, known and admired by Leo.

In early October 2005, President George W. Bush announced he was nominating White House Counsel Harriet Miers to fill the seat of retiring Justice Sandra Day O’Connor. But leaders of the conservative legal movement objected loudly, labeling her as unprepared and unreliable.

Bush retreated and withdrew her nomination at the end of month. Four days later, he announced he was nominating Alito to the Supreme Court. In the 12 years since then, Alito has been a steady, predictable conservative. When the court has been split, he has not joined with the liberals in any case of significance.

Leo’s role has grown since Trump took office. Trump promised repeatedly on the campaign trail that he would name conservative, “pro-life justices” to the high court, but he did not have a deep and experienced team of legal advisors.

But Leo and the Federalist Society were prepared. A few days after Trump’s surprise election victory, Leo was at Trump Tower in New York offering his thoughts on how to proceed in filling the seat left vacant by Scalia’s death.

During the campaign, Trump took the unusual step of announcing he would choose his Supreme Court nominees from two lists that together included 20 judges or lawyers. Since then, a third list added five more people. Although the outside groups prepared the lists, Leo says Trump deserves the credit.

ThePaleoLibertarian
07-10-2018, 05:55 PM
Trump nominates someone totally uncontroversial and the left is still saying the guy is an extremist who will turn the US into a totalitarian dictatorship. If he saw that coming, it's a pretty good move.

Swordsmyth
07-10-2018, 07:12 PM
It is not too late for President Trump to withdraw Judge Kavanaugh’s name for confirmation by the U.S. Senate and to nominate a true conservative, not a Bush-Cheney Republican establishment swamp creature. But if he does not do so, as a “favor” to him and the nation, Freedom Watch and I will do all ethically and legally proper to oppose Judge Kavanaugh’s confirmation. The Fourth Amendment prohibiting unreasonable searches and seizures is too important to trash, as this was what our Founding Fathers pledged their sacred honor and risked their lives for to form a new free nation — and then write, enact and implement our Constitution. Go to www.freedomwatchusa.org (http://www.freedomwatchusa.org/?oRef=idealmedia) to support this cause.

More at: https://www.newsmax.com/larryklayman/brett-kavanaugh-fourth-amendment-george-w-bush-trump/2018/07/10/id/870888/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=idealmedia&utm_campaign=newsmax.com&utm_term=68731&utm_content=2263369

Anti-Neocon
07-10-2018, 07:22 PM
I told everyone he wouldn't be picked because of his age, now that he didn't it blows the whole theory that his Russiagate antics were just designed to ease his confirmation.

Judge Swamp.
Say it with me.

President Swamp

Anti Globalist
07-10-2018, 07:49 PM
If the Judge was 60 as opposed to 68 and he stayed on the Supreme Court until he was 85 or 90, I'd be ok with it.

Swordsmyth
07-10-2018, 11:12 PM
Sen. Susan Collin (https://www.huffingtonpost.com/topic/susan-collins)s (R-Maine), whose vote could be critical for confirming President Donald Trump’s Supreme Court (https://www.huffingtonpost.com/topic/supreme-court) nominee Brett Kavanaugh (https://www.huffingtonpost.com/topic/brett-kavanaugh), said the judge is “clearly” qualified for the position.“When you look at the credentials that Judge Kavanaugh brings to the job, it’ll be very difficult for anyone to argue that he’s not qualified for the job. He clearly is qualified for the job,” Collins told reporters on Tuesday when asked whether she faced an easier decision with Kavanaugh than Judge Amy Comey Barrett (https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/supreme-court-trump_us_5b3e27f2e4b05127ccefc1df), who was on the president’s short list and is seen as more hostile to reproductive rights.
The moderate GOP senator added, however, that she would take into consideration “other issues involving judicial temperament and his judicial philosophy” before making a final decision.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/susan-collins-says-brett-kavanaugh-205544344.html

Aratus
07-11-2018, 12:30 AM

And he had Kenneth Starr as a boss for a time...

Aratus
07-11-2018, 12:36 AM
Mitch McConnell had moved heaven and earth to get Gorsuch a seat.
Was he always in Kavenaugh's corner? Is this HIS deal? The biggie?

TommyJeff
07-11-2018, 06:49 AM
Yes. I know.
Back off.

Mike Lee

Verified account

@SenMikeLee
4h4 hours ago
More

This is promising

euphemia
07-11-2018, 06:54 AM

It may have been Kennedy's deal.

acptulsa
07-11-2018, 07:40 AM
Gave Roberts the blueprint to save Obamacare. Dismissed Rand Paul's suit against the NSA to stop illegal spying. Wrote that collecting Americans' phone records was not a 'search and seizure' as applicable to the Fourth Amendment--and even if it is, terrorism trumps the Fourth.

The Democrats, who still try to lay claim to being the protectors of our civil rights, don't even mention this stuff in their opposition and there are still enough Single Issue Voters and Blind Partisan Team Players among the Republicans to ignore this alligator. Partisanship is a useful tool for Teh Swamp.

I hope Paul and Lee vote against him so a couple more Swamp Democrats have to out themselves to get this tool confirmed.

kcchiefs6465
07-11-2018, 10:57 AM
I don't understand how people are claiming that this guy is an originalist.

He bases his opinions on prior established rulings and 'laws.'

William Tell
07-11-2018, 03:54 PM

Judge Swamp.
You were wrong, the real Judge Swamp was picked.

Swordsmyth
07-11-2018, 03:57 PM
You were wrong, the real Judge Swamp was picked.

Another Judge Swamp.

RonZeplin
07-11-2018, 04:14 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DhtOQ8gUcAArM7U.jpg

Anti-Neocon
07-11-2018, 04:36 PM
Larry "Nuke Iran" Klayman actually wrote something good here:

https://www.newsmax.com/larryklayman/brett-kavanaugh-fourth-amendment-george-w-bush-trump/2018/07/10/id/870888/

Swordsmyth
07-11-2018, 04:42 PM
Larry "Nuke Iran" Klayman actually wrote something good here:

https://www.newsmax.com/larryklayman/brett-kavanaugh-fourth-amendment-george-w-bush-trump/2018/07/10/id/870888/

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?524044-Brett-Kavanaugh-will-be-Trump%92s-SCOTUS-nominee&p=6650708&viewfull=1#post6650708

Swordsmyth
07-11-2018, 07:08 PM
In a somewhat unprecedented move, Deputy AG Rod Rosenstein has asked the offices of all 93 U.S. attorneys to each provide up to three federal prosecutors to assist the Justice Department in reviewing government records of President Trump’s Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh.
https://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/inline-images/merlin_140453193_3f353978-6049-49c7-a2da-d7fa9226fcab-jumbo.jpg
Even The New York Times admits (https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/11/us/politics/rosenstein-kavanaugh-document-review-prosecutors.html)this move is "an unusual insertion of politics into federal law enforcement."
While the Justice Department has helped work on previous Supreme Court nominations, department lawyers in Washington typically carry out that task, not prosecutors who pursue criminal investigations nationwide.
Mr. Rosenstein’s email, which had the subject line “Personal Message to U.S. Attorneys From the Deputy A.G.,” included the sentence, “We need your help in connection with President Trump’s nomination of Judge Brett Kavanaugh to serve on the Supreme Court.”
Former law enforcement officials told the Times that Rosenstein's request is troubling.

"It’s flat-out wrong to have career federal prosecutors engaged in a political process like the vetting of a Supreme Court nominee. It takes them away from the mission they’re supposed to be fulfilling, which is effective criminal justice enforcement," Christopher Hunter, a former F.B.I. agent and federal prosecutor for almost 11 years, told the publication.
But Michael Zubrensky, a former Justice Department lawyer who oversaw the agency's Office of Legal Policy, said Kavanaugh's long paper trail could be the reason for Rosenstein's request.
Sarah Isgur Flores, spokeswoman for the Department of Justice, told the Times that prosecutors have been used in the past to vet Supreme Court nominees. "[T]he scope of the production of executive branch documents we’ve been asked for is many, many times as large," she said.
Rosenstein also wrote that he would need the equivalent of 100 full-time attorneys to work on the nominee's confirmation hearing.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-07-11/unprecedented-move-rosenstein-asks-100s-prosecutors-review-scotus-picks-records

Brian4Liberty
07-11-2018, 07:49 PM
In a somewhat unprecedented move, Deputy AG Rod Rosenstein has asked the offices of all 93 U.S. attorneys to each provide up to three federal prosecutors to assist the Justice Department in reviewing government records of President Trump’s Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh.
https://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/inline-images/merlin_140453193_3f353978-6049-49c7-a2da-d7fa9226fcab-jumbo.jpg
Even The New York Times admits (https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/11/us/politics/rosenstein-kavanaugh-document-review-prosecutors.html)this move is "an unusual insertion of politics into federal law enforcement."
While the Justice Department has helped work on previous Supreme Court nominations, department lawyers in Washington typically carry out that task, not prosecutors who pursue criminal investigations nationwide.
Mr. Rosenstein’s email, which had the subject line “Personal Message to U.S. Attorneys From the Deputy A.G.,” included the sentence, “We need your help in connection with President Trump’s nomination of Judge Brett Kavanaugh to serve on the Supreme Court.”
Former law enforcement officials told the Times that Rosenstein's request is troubling.

"It’s flat-out wrong to have career federal prosecutors engaged in a political process like the vetting of a Supreme Court nominee. It takes them away from the mission they’re supposed to be fulfilling, which is effective criminal justice enforcement," Christopher Hunter, a former F.B.I. agent and federal prosecutor for almost 11 years, told the publication.
But Michael Zubrensky, a former Justice Department lawyer who oversaw the agency's Office of Legal Policy, said Kavanaugh's long paper trail could be the reason for Rosenstein's request.
Sarah Isgur Flores, spokeswoman for the Department of Justice, told the Times that prosecutors have been used in the past to vet Supreme Court nominees. "[T]he scope of the production of executive branch documents we’ve been asked for is many, many times as large," she said.
Rosenstein also wrote that he would need the equivalent of 100 full-time attorneys to work on the nominee's confirmation hearing.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-07-11/unprecedented-move-rosenstein-asks-100s-prosecutors-review-scotus-picks-records

A loyalty investigation, with the added benefit of finding enough dirt to ensure future loyalty.

Brian4Liberty
07-11-2018, 07:51 PM
In 2016, Kavanaugh reported having between $60,000 and $200,000 in debt accrued over three credit cards and a loan. Each credit card held between $15,000 and $50,000 in debt, and a Thrift Savings Plan loan was between $15,000 and $50,000.
His public filing does not include his home, which he purchased with his wife, Ashley, in 2006 for $1.2 million. Public real estate filings indicate that the couple has refinanced their mortgage twice, most recently in 2015. Their currentmortgage is $865,000.

His past financial disclosure forms reveal that Kavanaugh has incurred significant credit card debt on and off for more than a decade. He previously reported between $60,000 to $200,000 in debt among three credit cards and a loan in 2006, the same year he was confirmed to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/supreme-court-nominee-brett-kavanaugh-piled-up-credit-card-debt-by-purchasing-nationals-tickets-white-house-says/2018/07/11/8e3ad7d6-8460-11e8-9e80-403a221946a7_story.html

Sounds like a guy who never had any worries about future income. Maybe his off-book assurances are substantial enough that he has no need to worry.

TommyJeff
07-11-2018, 08:15 PM
Sounds like a guy who never had any worries about future income. Maybe his off-book assurances are substantial enough that he has no need to worry.

He bought an expensive home a year before the market collapsed and had debt less than 2 years ago on some credit cards which he has since fully paid off ....... is there a point this story?

devil21
07-11-2018, 09:17 PM
He bought an expensive home a year before the market collapsed and had debt less than 2 years ago on some credit cards which he has since fully paid off ....... is there a point this story?

I don't know if there's a point, but it would be interesting to know if he happened to get bailed out of his mountain of debt (a la Trump/Soros and Trump/Wilbur Ross), instead of him actually paying it off. It would indicate who, if anyone, he might owe favors to.

TommyJeff
07-12-2018, 07:16 AM
I don't know if there's a point, but it would be interesting to know if he happened to get bailed out of his mountain of debt (a la Trump/Soros and Trump/Wilbur Ross), instead of him actually paying it off. It would indicate who, if anyone, he might owe favors to.

That would be interesting but it’s often wrong to pose such hypotheticals without any factual basis. The media does it quite often and that often snowballs into big stories which prove to be false. I think it best to condemn after we learn about bush paying off his debt rather than speculating

Swordsmyth
07-12-2018, 01:43 PM
That would be interesting but it’s often wrong to pose such hypotheticals without any factual basis. The media does it quite often and that often snowballs into big stories which prove to be false. I think it best to condemn after we learn about bush paying off his debt rather than speculating

There are much better reasons to oppose him anyway.

Anti Globalist
07-12-2018, 04:54 PM
Who is the best Supreme Court Justice we've ever had?

TommyJeff
07-12-2018, 08:08 PM
There are much better reasons to oppose him anyway.
Well said friend, tried to give positive rep but apparently I need to spread the wealth.

TommyJeff
07-12-2018, 08:16 PM

GEORGE WASHINGTON
(fast forward to 9:22)

http://video.foxnews.com/v/5806699007001/

devil21
07-12-2018, 09:34 PM

Any of them prior to the 1930's.

Aratus
07-12-2018, 09:37 PM

John Marshall

fcreature
07-13-2018, 10:10 AM
Yep. This was a very disappointing pick. Worst of the 4 finalists IMO. He's no Gorsuch. I'm sure he'll be pushed through but sure would be great for him to get knocked out during confirmation. Maybe Trump can get it right on round 2 after Republicans pick up more Senate seats in the midterms.

Swordsmyth
07-16-2018, 07:29 PM
It was only a matter of time before failed presidential candidate Hillary Clinton weighed in on President Donald Trump's Supreme Court nominee, Brett Kavanaugh, and it appears to have been time she spent working on a top notch critique: that Kavanaugh could return the United States to the days of slavery.
Speaking to the American Federation of Teachers Friday night, Clinton warned of "devastating consequences" if Kavanaugh is confirmed to the bench.
"Let me say a word about the nomination of Judge Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court," Clinton said in her speech. "This nomination holds out the threat of devastating consequences for workers rights, civil rights, LGBT rights, women’s rights — including those to make our own health decisions."

"It is a blatant attempt by this administration to shift the balance of the Court for decades and to reverse decades of progress," Clinton continued.
And that's where she landed on her new strategy of attack: warning of a return to the agrarian pre-Civil War America.
"I used to worry that they [the Republicans] wanted to turn the clock back to the 1950s. Now I worry they want to turn it back to the 1850s," Clinton said.
The 1850s, of course, predate the American Civil War, meaning that Clinton believes that under Kavanaugh it may be possible for the United States to return to a time where enslaving members of the human race was not simply legal, but regular practice in many states. Given her fear for both women and minorities, it seems she's extrapolating on the leftist fear of an instituted "Handmaid's Tale," where subjugation is a matter of course.

More at: https://www.dailywire.com/news/33079/hillary-clinton-says-supreme-court-nominee-brett-emily-zanotti?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=idealmedia&utm_campaign=dailywire.com&utm_term=68731&utm_content=1

Swordsmyth
07-16-2018, 07:32 PM
Kavanaugh is President Donald Trump’s nominee for the Supreme Court seat vacated by Justice Anthony Kennedy’s retirement. Now the liberal group UltraViolet is trying to derail his nomination using the anti-sex abuse harassment known as #MeToo.
Kavanaugh had previously clerked for 9th U.S. Circuit Judge Alex Kozinski from 1990 to 1991. Kozinski abruptly retired last year after 15 women accused him of sexual harassment. Now Ultraviolet is tying Kavanaugh to Kozinski by demanding an investigation into whether the Supreme Court nominee knew about his former boss’ alleged abuse.

"Judge Kozinski’s office had a long history of being a toxic and dangerous environment for women," chief campaigns officer for UltraViolet, Karin Roland, told McClatchy in a statement (https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/white-house/article214685570.html). "The American public deserves to know what Kavanaugh saw and heard, and if he did witness or hear about any harassment, what he did or could have done to report it."

More at: https://www.dailywire.com/news/33142/right-cue-kavanaugh-accused-hiding-sexual-ashe-schow?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=idealmedia&utm_campaign=dailywire.com&utm_term=68731&utm_content=1

TommyJeff
07-16-2018, 08:20 PM
It was only a matter of time before failed presidential candidate Hillary Clinton weighed in on President Donald Trump's Supreme Court nominee, Brett Kavanaugh, and it appears to have been time she spent working on a top notch critique: that Kavanaugh could return the United States to the days of slavery.
Speaking to the American Federation of Teachers Friday night, Clinton warned of "devastating consequences" if Kavanaugh is confirmed to the bench.
"Let me say a word about the nomination of Judge Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court," Clinton said in her speech. "This nomination holds out the threat of devastating consequences for workers rights, civil rights, LGBT rights, women’s rights — including those to make our own health decisions."

"It is a blatant attempt by this administration to shift the balance of the Court for decades and to reverse decades of progress," Clinton continued.
And that's where she landed on her new strategy of attack: warning of a return to the agrarian pre-Civil War America.
"I used to worry that they [the Republicans] wanted to turn the clock back to the 1950s. Now I worry they want to turn it back to the 1850s," Clinton said.
The 1850s, of course, predate the American Civil War, meaning that Clinton believes that under Kavanaugh it may be possible for the United States to return to a time where enslaving members of the human race was not simply legal, but regular practice in many states. Given her fear for both women and minorities, it seems she's extrapolating on the leftist fear of an instituted "Handmaid's Tale," where subjugation is a matter of course.

More at: https://www.dailywire.com/news/33079/hillary-clinton-says-supreme-court-nominee-brett-emily-zanotti?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=idealmedia&utm_campaign=dailywire.com&utm_term=68731&utm_content=1

If she had 3 Judge nominations, I’m sure she would have appointed moderates and not shift the court for decades (her words). Hahaha!!

Swordsmyth
07-16-2018, 08:31 PM
If she had 3 Judge nominations, I’m sure she would have appointed moderates and not shift the court for decades (her words). Hahaha!!
The left will fall into the pit they dug for the rest of us. :clap:

gaazn
07-17-2018, 09:20 AM
Some Republicans should vote No just because they railroaded Merrick Garland for no reason. At least they should've gone thru the motions and then railroaded him if they had the votes. But everyone is afraid of going against the team.

Swordsmyth
07-17-2018, 02:14 PM
Some Republicans should vote No just because they railroaded Merrick Garland for no reason. At least they should've gone thru the motions and then railroaded him if they had the votes. But everyone is afraid of going against the team.

Nobody "railroaded" Garland, they just refused to consent to him and let the court swing far left, they were absolutely right.

They should vote against Kavanaugh because he isn't good enough.

Swordsmyth
07-19-2018, 10:15 PM
The Pew Research Center released the results (http://www.people-press.org/2018/07/17/americans-divided-on-kavanaughs-nomination-to-the-supreme-court/) yesterday of a new national survey.
A week after Donald Trump nominated Brett Kavanaugh to fill Justice Anthony Kennedy’s seat on the U.S. Supreme Court, the public is split in its early views of the nomination. Overall, 41% think the Senate should confirm Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court, while about as many (36%) say they should not; 23% do not offer a view on the question. Public is split on Kavanaugh’s nomination to the U.S. Supreme Court
In February 2017, views of Neil Gorsuch’s nomination were similar, though the balance of opinion was more positive. At that time, 44% said the Senate should confirm Gorsuch to fill the seated vacated by the late Justice Antonin Scalia; fewer (32%) said it should not.
And most previous nominees to the court during the presidencies of Barack Obama and George W. Bush were initially viewed more positively than negatively.
Note, for example, that in 2005, 27% of Americans said Harriet Miers shouldn’t be confirmed to the Supreme Court, less than the 36% who now say the same about Kavanaugh, and Miers’ nomination was kind of ridiculous.
The results were nearly identical to those released yesterday by Gallup, which found (https://news.gallup.com/poll/237251/initial-views-kavanaugh-confirmation-divided.aspx) a narrow plurality of 41% of Americans want to see Kavanaugh confirmed, while 37% do not. The report added, “This four-percentage-point margin is slimmer than any Gallup has measured in its initial read on 10 prior nominees since 1987.”

More at: http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/trumps-new-supreme-court-nominee-fails-garner-broad-public-support

Jan2017
07-20-2018, 07:30 AM
he's a regular guy sorta
amounts maybe normal now compared to our debts outta college which were nil really

Swordsmyth
07-20-2018, 03:56 PM
In a private meeting Wednesday, McConnell apparently told senior Republicans he may keep pushing back the confirmation vote for Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh until right before the November midterms, sources tell Politico (https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/20/kavanaugh-supreme-court-mcconnell-ultimatum-senate-democrats-734360). Why? Because Democrats keep trying to surface (http://theweek.com/articles/783963/liberal-freakout-over-brett-kavanaugh-not-helping) the nominee's long paper trail, and McConnell, it seems, is sick of it.
Even before President Trump had announced his nominee to replace retiring Justice Anthony Kennedy, Democrats were dead-set on a strategy of resistance, warning Trump's pick could cement a conservative majority on the nation's highest court and spell disaster (http://theweek.com/articles/774971/trumps-sneak-attack-reproductive-rights) for issues like reproductive rights. Since then, Democrats have been requesting (https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2018/07/17/us/politics/ap-us-supreme-court-kavanaugh-documents.html) every piece of Kavanaugh's records in an attempt to find something they can use to fight his confirmation.
McConnell is apparently ready to retaliate. He's already canceled (http://theweek.com/speedreads/777210/mitch-mcconnell-cancels-senates-august-recess-draining-2018-campaign-time) the Senate's August recess, and is looking to drain Democrats' campaign time even more by delaying Kavanaugh's confirmation vote, per Politico. The delay would mean red-state Democrats wouldn't be able to leave the Capitol and utilize valuable campaign time until the Kavanaugh vote, and his potential confirmation would serve them a crushing defeat just days before voters head to the polls.

More at: http://theweek.com/speedreads/785916/mitch-mcconnell-might-delay-brett-kavanaughs-confirmation-vote-drain-democrats-campaign-time

spudea
07-30-2018, 10:30 AM

From his Facebook page just now, he will vote to confirm. https://www.facebook.com/SenatorRandPaul/

After meeting Judge Kavanaugh and reviewing his record, I have decided to support his nomination.
No one will ever completely agree with a nominee (unless, of course, you are the nominee). Each nominee, however, must be judged on the totality of their views, character, and opinions.
I have expressed my concern over Judge Kavanaugh’s record on warrantless bulk collection of data and how that might apply to very important privacy cases before the Supreme Court.
In reviewing his record on other privacy cases like Jones, and through my conversation with him, I have hope that in light of the new precedent in Carpenter v. United States, Judge Kavanaugh will be more open to a Fourth Amendment that protects digital records and property.
Of course, my vote is not a single-issue vote, and much of my reading and conversation has been in trying to figure out exactly how good Judge Kavanaugh will be on other issues before the Court.
My conversation with Judge Kavanaugh reinforces my belief that he will evaluate cases before the Supreme Court from a textual and originalist point of view.
I believe he will carefully adhere to the Constitution and will take his job to protect individual liberty seriously.
On issues such as property rights and reining in the administrative state, Judge Kavanaugh has a strong record and showed a deep commitment during our meeting. His views on due process and mens rea show a thoughtful approach to the law and its applications. His views on war powers and separation of powers are encouraging.
Finally, his strong defenses of the First and Second Amendments in landmark cases show someone who isn’t afraid to challenge the status quo and will fight with backbone. Judge Kavanaugh will have my support and my vote to confirm him to the Supreme Court.

Zippyjuan
07-30-2018, 01:24 PM
From his Facebook page just now, he will vote to confirm. https://www.facebook.com/SenatorRandPaul/

I said Rand would probably end up voting for him.

Swordsmyth
07-30-2018, 03:24 PM

I hope this means that there are enough NO votes that Rand can look like a team player.

Anti Globalist
07-30-2018, 06:59 PM
Any of them prior to the 1930's.
Any in particular that stick out to you?

devil21
07-30-2018, 09:43 PM
Any in particular that stick out to you?

John Rutledge seemed like a decent dude (slavery aside). His history appears to be someone interested in establishing the new America instead of like so many of the others still (quietly) being British loyalists.

But who knows what's real or bogus info about historical accounts of Justices.

Swordsmyth
07-31-2018, 12:00 AM
President Donald Trump on Monday expressed his appreciation to Sen. Rand Paul for his promise (http://dailycaller.com/2018/07/30/rand-paul-supports-kavanaugh/) to support the confirmation of Judge Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court.

“Thank you to @RandPaul for your YES on a future great Justice of the Supreme Court, Brett Kavanaugh,” Trump wrote in a Monday evening tweet. “Your vote means a lot to me, and to everyone who loves our Country!” (RELATED: RAND’S REVEAL: PAUL JUST ANNOUNCED HIS DECISION ON THE KAVANAUGH CONFIRMATION) (http://dailycaller.com/2018/07/30/rand-paul-supports-kavanaugh/)

Thank you to @RandPaul (https://twitter.com/RandPaul?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw) for your YES on a future great Justice of the Supreme Court, Brett Kavanaugh. Your vote means a lot to me, and to everyone who loves our Country!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 30, 2018 (https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1024061082640502785?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw)

More at: http://dailycaller.com/2018/07/30/trump-thanks-rand-paul-kavanaugh-support/

TommyJeff
07-31-2018, 06:52 AM
President Donald Trump on Monday expressed his appreciation to Sen. Rand Paul for his promise (http://dailycaller.com/2018/07/30/rand-paul-supports-kavanaugh/) to support the confirmation of Judge Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court.

“Thank you to @RandPaul for your YES on a future great Justice of the Supreme Court, Brett Kavanaugh,” Trump wrote in a Monday evening tweet. “Your vote means a lot to me, and to everyone who loves our Country!” (RELATED: RAND’S REVEAL: PAUL JUST ANNOUNCED HIS DECISION ON THE KAVANAUGH CONFIRMATION) (http://dailycaller.com/2018/07/30/rand-paul-supports-kavanaugh/)
Thank you to @RandPaul (https://twitter.com/RandPaul?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw) for your YES on a future great Justice of the Supreme Court, Brett Kavanaugh. Your vote means a lot to me, and to everyone who loves our Country!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 30, 2018 (https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1024061082640502785?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw)

More at: http://dailycaller.com/2018/07/30/trump-thanks-rand-paul-kavanaugh-support/

Trump & Paul in 2020?
Lol

Swordsmyth
07-31-2018, 12:51 PM
Trump & Paul in 2020?
Lol

The idea has been floated and seems more likely all the time, the only question is whether Rand is more useful elsewhere.

TommyJeff
07-31-2018, 02:37 PM
The idea has been floated and seems more likely all the time, the only question is whether Rand is more useful elsewhere.

Hard to imagine a president would switch his VP for re-election. Possible but not likely

Pence & Paul in 2024???????

Swordsmyth
07-31-2018, 02:46 PM
Hard to imagine a president would switch his VP for re-election. Possible but not likely

I'd prefer Paul/Lee or Lee/Paul 2024.

Swordsmyth
07-31-2018, 03:54 PM
I hope this means that there are enough NO votes that Rand can look like a team player.

Related?

Arizona Senator Jeff Flake fled the country for Zimbabwe this week seemingly for the sake of preserving the African nation's fledgling democracy — but many political observers stateside suspect that there is a notable secondary effect of such a trip: to delay the upcoming hearing on President Donald Trump's Supreme Court justice nominee Brett Kavanaugh (https://www.salon.com/2018/07/09/trump-picks-brett-kavanaugh-for-supreme-court-pro-lifers-arent-thrilled/).

The Republican lawmaker, who has been an ardent Trump critic (https://www.salon.com/2017/10/26/jeff-flake-claims-to-oppose-trump-heres-how-he-can-prove-it/), touched down in the African country to serve as an official observer of the country's historic elections over the past weekend. According to his office, the senator will stay in the region for approximately three more weeks. That's important because it means Flake will miss the Senate's mandated early return to Washington, D.C. next month.

More at: https://www.salon.com/2018/07/31/off-to-africa-jeff-flakes-august-vacation-could-ruin-mitch-mcconnells-plans-for-brett-kavanaugh/

TommyJeff
07-31-2018, 08:43 PM
Related?

Arizona Senator Jeff Flake fled the country for Zimbabwe this week seemingly for the sake of preserving the African nation's fledgling democracy — but many political observers stateside suspect that there is a notable secondary effect of such a trip: to delay the upcoming hearing on President Donald Trump's Supreme Court justice nominee Brett Kavanaugh (https://www.salon.com/2018/07/09/trump-picks-brett-kavanaugh-for-supreme-court-pro-lifers-arent-thrilled/).

The Republican lawmaker, who has been an ardent Trump critic (https://www.salon.com/2017/10/26/jeff-flake-claims-to-oppose-trump-heres-how-he-can-prove-it/), touched down in the African country to serve as an official observer of the country's historic elections over the past weekend. According to his office, the senator will stay in the region for approximately three more weeks. That's important because it means Flake will miss the Senate's mandated early return to Washington, D.C. next month.

More at: https://www.salon.com/2018/07/31/off-to-africa-jeff-flakes-august-vacation-could-ruin-mitch-mcconnells-plans-for-brett-kavanaugh/

A few Ds will vote for the new justice ... flake isn’t needed

timosman
08-01-2018, 11:10 PM

dannno
08-02-2018, 12:49 AM
Related?

Living up to his name.

timosman
09-04-2018, 10:41 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnGMwafc8Os

devil21
09-04-2018, 11:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnGMwafc8Os

It looks like there will be numerous juicy videos coming out of this hearing. 42k pages of Kavanaugh's documents released last night and some Sens are not happy. Grassley is trying to ram it through. Just heard that someone called out SCOTUS at length for being owned and taking payoffs and other things that usually aren't mentioned.

timosman
09-04-2018, 11:34 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAybyPE_Nr0

devil21
09-04-2018, 11:45 AM
live video
https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/meetings/nomination-of-the-honorable-brett-m-kavanaugh-to-be-an-associate-justice-of-the-supreme-court-of-the-united-states

(side note: Ben Sasse and John Kerry must be related. The resemblance is uncanny.)

timosman
09-04-2018, 11:55 AM
live video

Plenty of streams on tube - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=live+Brett+Kavanaugh+hearing

timosman
09-04-2018, 12:42 PM
https://www.dailywire.com/news/35411/watch-far-left-activist-linda-sarsour-arrested-ryan-saavedra

Schifference
09-04-2018, 01:47 PM
https://www.dailywire.com/news/35411/watch-far-left-activist-linda-sarsour-arrested-ryan-saavedra

Imagine trying to go thru life without ever getting touched except by your spouse.

timosman
09-04-2018, 01:50 PM
Kamala Harris: I believe the nominee is driven by a partisan agenda. His objective interpretation of the law is discriminatory to many Americans.

Swordsmyth
09-04-2018, 02:39 PM
Sen. Dick Durbin (D-IL) admitted Tuesday in the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on the nomination of Judge Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court that he and other Democrats participated in a conference call on how to disrupt the hearings. Durbin was responding to a question by Sen. Thom Tillis (R-NC), who cited an NBC News tweet from earlier in the morning that reported that Senate Democrats had planned over the Labor Day weekend to use protests and interruptions.

Democrats plotted coordinated protest strategy over the holiday weekend and all agreed to disrupt and protest the hearing, sources tell me and @frankthorp (https://twitter.com/frankthorp?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw)
Dem leader @chuckschumer (https://twitter.com/chuckschumer?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw) led a phone call and committee members are executing now
— Kasie Hunt (@kasie) September 4, 2018 (https://twitter.com/kasie/status/1036977506090405889?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw)
The hearing had already been disrupted several times by protesters — led by the anti-Trump and Democrat-aligned Women’s March, which claimed credit (https://twitter.com/womensmarch/status/1036993490125774848) — and several senators also interrupted proceedings with interjections.

Democratic senators opened Kavanaugh confirmation hearing with a protest plan that was coordinated and agreed to over the weekend, people familiar with the planning tell @NBCPolitics (https://twitter.com/NBCPolitics?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw).
— NBC Politics (@NBCPolitics) September 4, 2018 (https://twitter.com/NBCPolitics/status/1036978029275308033?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw)
Sen. Tillis asked: “I’m reviewing a tweet by NBC that said ‘Democrats plotted coordinated protest strategy over the holiday weekend all agreed to disrupt and protest the hearing, sources tell me.’ And, subsequent, ‘Dem leader Chuck Schumer led a phone call, and committee members are executing now.’ So, I just want to be clear: none of the members on this committee participated in that phone call or that strategy before the documents were released yesterday? Are you suggesting that this allegation is false?”
Durbin asked to respond, but merely deflected to the issue of whether the committee had been provided enough documents on Kavanaugh: “Mr. Chairman, there was a phone conference yesterday, and I can tell you, at the time of the phone conference, many issues were raised. One of the issues was the fact that over 100,000 documents related to Judge Kavanaugh had been characterized by the chairman of the committee as committee confidential.”
Notably, Durbin did not dispute the allegations by NBC News.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdbZAo9OxDU

CBS News also confirmed NBC News’ reporting:

CBS News’ Nancy Cordes reports that a source familiar with the discussions confirms that Sen. Schumer held a conference call with Judiciary Committee democrats over the Labor Day weekend to discuss the strategy they are now deploying in a coordinated manner, interrupting the start of the hearing to call – one after the other – for a delay in the proceedings until senators get all the Kavanaugh documents they want and have time to read them.
The hearing eventually settled into opening statements, though protests continued.
Durbin later praised the protesters: “What we’ve heard is the noise of democracy.”

https://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2018/09/04/dick-durbin-admits-democrats-plotted-to-disrupt-brett-kavanaugh-supreme-court-hearing/

RonZeplin
09-04-2018, 04:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrGvuygsy8w

The Deep State fast track of Justice Swamp continues.

eleganz
09-04-2018, 05:39 PM

Why would anybody want a liberty official to be bound to an administration that they get to make zero calls on? to be a VP is to essentially be a figurehead that no longer speaks for themselves but for their president.

spudea
09-04-2018, 05:44 PM
Kamala Harris: I believe the nominee is driven by a partisan agenda. His objective interpretation of the law is discriminatory to many Americans.

That's the trick, if there is a decision she doesn't like she could advocate for changing the law, but that's a lot harder and doesn't get her re-elected like demonizing republicans and their judiciary pics can.

timosman
09-04-2018, 07:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FZRd_F5uR4

Aratus
09-04-2018, 08:22 PM
Is Mister K actually a Cheney protege? Those 100,ooo pages actually spill national security chitchat etc...

Aratus
09-04-2018, 08:24 PM
Lindsey played to his SC base, as Mister K looks like he's at JOHN McCAIN's funeral.
WHAT aRE tHEY all sItTING oN tHAT iS sO tOP sECRET? Way past JAIL HILLARY?????

Aratus
09-04-2018, 08:29 PM
The ole W gave a road-rage steroid boost to a quasi-military quasi-espionage shadow court system
with Patriot Acts one and two. This more draconian sly court system that brings to mind U.K law and
STUART ERA proceedings like the auld STAR CHAMBERs that Lord Oliver Cromwell abolished could be
where young Monsieur Kavanaugh won his Bushite Spurs right after 911 had our public out for blood.

Aratus
09-04-2018, 08:30 PM
Mister K = player
Gorsuch = libertarian

nikcers
09-04-2018, 10:15 PM
Why would anybody want a liberty official to be bound to an administration that they get to make zero calls on? to be a VP is to essentially be a figurehead that no longer speaks for themselves but for their president.
That's what they want us to think. If getting to pick vice president was not important they would let us do it to make us feel important. The deep state uses the vice president as a way of enslaving the president that's the only reason why they speak for them.

eleganz
09-04-2018, 11:16 PM
That's what they want us to think. If getting to pick vice president was not important they would let us do it to make us feel important. The deep state uses the vice president as a way of enslaving the president that's the only reason why they speak for them.

Nah, I don't think you get my point.

A presidential candidate selects a VP to support him not subvert him. As a VP, you essentially waive your free speech rights, you work for the administration, you represent your boss, just like everybody else that works for the boss. In a campaign or in an elected office, the candidate, the seat holder is most important. This is not how "they" want us to think, this is common sense.

I would never want Rand to be a VP to Pence or Trump, he'd have to drop almost all of his own thoughts and mirror the administration, why would anybody here want that? Rand is in a great position where he's at now, he gets to work with the white house when suitable and also have his own voice as a senator. A VP serves at the pleasure of the president.

nikcers
09-04-2018, 11:24 PM
Nah, I don't think you get my point.

A presidential candidate selects a VP to support him not subvert him. As a VP, you essentially waive your free speech rights, you work for the administration, you represent your boss, just like everybody else that works for the boss. In a campaign or in an elected office, the candidate, the seat holder is most important. This is not how "they" want us to think, this is common sense.

I would never want Rand to be a VP to Pence or Trump, he'd have to drop almost all of his own thoughts and mirror the administration, why would anybody here want that? Rand is in a great position where he's at now, he gets to work with the white house when suitable and also have his own voice as a senator. A VP serves at the pleasure of the president.

What? I hope you are right about vice presidents. A lot of people say Dick Cheney was running the show during Bush's presidency, and Mike Pence said he wanted to be like Dick... My perspective is that the President gets told by the deep state to obey them or they will kill them and replace them with somebody who will do as they are told and that's why the deep state picks the vice president.

eleganz
09-04-2018, 11:39 PM
What? I hope you are right about vice presidents. A lot of people say Dick Cheney was running the show during Bush's presidency, and Mike Pence said he wanted to be like Dick... My perspective is that the President gets told by the deep state to obey them or they will kill them and replace them with somebody who will do as they are told and that's why the deep state picks the vice president.

It depends how close a POTUS wants to bring in his VP. Cheney came from intelligence so its not out of this world to see that Bush took his advice seriously. Look at how uninvolved Biden was. Pence is highly supportive of Trump, he is a good side kick. I don't believe for a second Pence is threatening Trump to listen or face the wrath of the deep state, the deep state is already after Trump.

nikcers
09-04-2018, 11:42 PM
It depends how close a POTUS wants to bring in his VP. Cheney came from intelligence so its not out of this world to see that Bush took his advice seriously. Look at how uninvolved Biden was. Pence is highly supportive of Trump, he is a good side kick. I don't believe for a second Pence is threatening Trump to listen or face the wrath of the deep state, the deep state is already after Trump.
Some how Trump can pants Jeb Bush and humiliate him on TV and then proceed to put all of his brothers old gang together again, and this was Trumps idea?

eleganz
09-04-2018, 11:53 PM
Some how Trump can pants Jeb Bush and humiliate him on TV and then proceed to put all of his brothers old gang together again, and this was Trumps idea?

Don't know what you mean, I think the topic is sliding.

nikcers
09-05-2018, 12:08 AM
Don't know what you mean, I think the topic is sliding.
Threads topic held a position in the Whitehouse where his job was to go wherever George W Bush went and decide what memos he sees and when he sees them and if other senior officials should comment on the memos. This isn't even the first time Trump has hired people from Bush's administration, I don't see how that is off topic.

devil21
09-05-2018, 01:11 AM
Is Grassley's excuse of "not in executive session" in compliance with confirmation hearing rules? That was always his excuse for avoiding motions to adjourn. Perhaps the correct motion should have been a motion to recess? I'd think Senators would know the difference. False opposition? Theater? Can't deny that many of the Senators on the committee are fellow YALE graduates...

One Senator commented how interesting it is that Kavanaugh repeatedly found himself at the center of so many course changing issues and cases. I want to see the video of whoever called out SCOTUS for being controlled by higher powers.

Can someone please ask him if he believes that his Jesuit oath (posted on page 3 of this thread) supersedes his oath of office? (I'll hold my breath, seeing how there's so many Yale grads on the committee :tears:)

-----------------------------------------

They're going to suck all of the air out of the room with the Facebook/social media hearings today so the Kavanaugh questioning gets as little air time and coverage as possible. But but Sandberg is testifying!!

timosman
09-05-2018, 09:01 AM
Why was Rod Rosenstein there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lusMvz3dokQ

timosman
09-05-2018, 12:34 PM

bunklocoempire
09-05-2018, 01:02 PM
From the Mises BitChute video channel (https://www.bitchute.com/channel/mises/):

https://www.bitchute.com/video/lD7qzH4ob3Y/
Video 4:00 minutes Judge Andrew Napolitano: Brett Kavanaugh and the Patriot Act
Presented at Mises University in Auburn, Alabama, on 16 July 2018.

Zippyjuan
09-05-2018, 01:53 PM
The hearings are just a formality. If all the Republicans vote party line it won't matter what any Democrats do- he will get approved since he only needs 50% (after they changed it from two thirds). He would have so seriously screw up to not get it.

Swordsmyth
09-05-2018, 04:56 PM
Progressive (https://www.huffingtonpost.com/topic/progressives) groups are becoming increasingly frustrated with Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (https://www.huffingtonpost.com/topic/chuck-schumer) (D-N.Y.), saying he needs to do more to make sure every single Democratic senator votes against Brett Kavanaugh (https://www.huffingtonpost.com/topic/progressives)’s confirmation to the Supreme Court (https://www.huffingtonpost.com/topic/supreme-court).
Thirteen progressive groups sent Schumer a letter (https://d2omw6a1nm6pnh.cloudfront.net/images/Schumer_sign-on_letter.pdf) Wednesday morning, telling him anything less than a united caucus vote against Kavanaugh will be “a massive failure of your leadership.”
“Your job as Senate Democratic leader is to lead your caucus in complete opposition to Trump’s attempted Supreme Court takeover and to defend everyone threatened by a Trump Supreme Court,” they wrote. “But unbelievably, nearly two dozen Democrats have still not come out against Kavanaugh, and just last week, you helped Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (https://www.huffingtonpost.com/topic/mitch-mcconnell) fast track 15 Trump judicial nominees. That is not the leadership we need.”

The signatories include Credo, Democracy for America, Indivisible and UltraViolet, and many of the groups have been critical of the minority leader in the past as well. Schumer’s office declined to comment.
A group of activists also occupied Schumer’s Capitol Hill office Tuesday evening.
Part of the progressive frustration with Schumer is over a deal he made with Sen. McConnell (R-Ky.) last week, when he agreed to expedite confirmation (https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/senate-democrats-trump-federal-judges_us_5b86c0eee4b0cf7b00313783) of 15 of President Donald Trump (https://www.huffingtonpost.com/topic/donald-trump)’s judicial nominees to lifetime federal court seats. The deal allowed Democratic senators to go home sooner for the Labor Day recess to spend more time campaigning.
Arguably, all those nominees could have made it through anyway, since Republicans have a majority in the Senate. But Democrats could certainly have delayed their confirmations and caused headaches for Trump and McConnell if they had fought back. And that fighting spirit is what many progressive activists want to see more of.

“Your strategy to sacrifice the Supreme Court in order to hold Democratic Senate seats is not only strategically and morally wrong, it will fail,” the progressive groups wrote in their letter (https://d2omw6a1nm6pnh.cloudfront.net/images/Schumer_sign-on_letter.pdf) Wednesday. “It is wrong to assume that a no vote on Kavanaugh puts red-state Democrats in electoral peril or somehow protects them from Republican attacks.”

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/progressives-turn-anger-chuck-schumer-120010581.html

Swordsmyth
09-06-2018, 08:02 PM
Kavanaugh ‘Protesters’ Caught Getting Paid Hard CASH (https://bigleaguepolitics.com/shock-photos-kavanaugh-protesters-caught-getting-paid-hard-cash/)

Swordsmyth
09-06-2018, 08:45 PM
Kavanaugh ‘Protesters’ Caught Getting Paid Hard CASH (https://bigleaguepolitics.com/shock-photos-kavanaugh-protesters-caught-getting-paid-hard-cash/)

It has now emerged that the man seen paying off the woman works for a left-wing activist organization funded by billionaire globalist George Soros.
“The man handing money to the Kavanaugh hearing protester is Vinay Krishnan. Consultant/organizer at Center for Popular Democracy,” tweeted Nick Monroe.
The man handing money to the Kavanaugh hearing protester is Vinay Krishnan. Consultant/organizer at Center for Popular Democracy.
> An Organization ON THE RECORD as have received funding from George Soros. https://t.co/ZyaN5UbucD pic.twitter.com/tMmwhc72QB (https://t.co/tMmwhc72QB)
— Nick Monroe (@nickmon1112) September 6, 2018 (https://twitter.com/nickmon1112/status/1037505949198639109?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw)

Krishnan’s bio lists him as a “social justice attorney”. The Center for Popular Democracy “receives the bulk of its funding from George Soros” and back in May last year announced that they were setting up an “$80 million anti-Trump network that will span 32 states and have 48 local partners.” https://www.prisonplanet.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/DmX2GUIXsAANUlj2.jpg

After he was identified, Krishnan locked down his Twitter profile. https://www.prisonplanet.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/vinay-twitter-private.jpg

While the media obsesses about non-existent Russian interference in the American political system, this represents solid proof of a foreign actor meddling in America’s political system by bankrolling fake astroturf protests designed to sow discord and create division.
Will the media cover this massive story? https://www.prisonplanet.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/050918paid1.jpg

More at: https://www.infowars.com/man-caught-paying-off-kavanaugh-protesters-works-for-soros-funded-organization/

devil21
09-06-2018, 10:25 PM
Bail money? I know it's easy to blame the Soros for everything but of course the protestors are organized and they know they'll be arrested. It's not surprising to see organizers giving them bail money prior to a guaranteed arrest.

timosman
09-08-2018, 12:46 AM
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/07/perjury-kavanaugh-liberal-groups-811254

09/07/2018

Three prominent liberal groups pushing to defeat Brett Kavanaugh’s Supreme Court nomination on Friday urged Democrats to seek a formal perjury investigation of him based on his testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee this week.

Demand Justice, MoveOn, and NARAL Pro-Choice America outlined their case in a letter sent as Kavanaugh’s marathon four-day hearing came to a close, with the Republican Senate still expected to confirm him by month’s end.

The trio of advocacy groups claim that five topics Kavanaugh addressed with Judiciary panel senators this week reveal inconsistencies with statements he made during confirmation hearings for his current appellate court position that “appear to rise to the level of perjury,” they wrote.

The five topics are: Kavanaugh’s involvement in the judicial nominations of William Pryor and Charles Pickering during his time in the George W. Bush administration; his involvement in the Bush administration’s warrantless wiretapping program; his role in handling Bush-era detainee policy; and his awareness of the use of Democratic documents reportedly
stolen by another GOP aide.

Kavanaugh was pressed to explain his past statements to the Senate during this week’s confirmation hearing and sought to clarify his past portrayals. When asked about the conservative Pryor, for instance, the 53-year-old appellate judge said during his previous confirmation hearing that he was not involved in handling the nomination during his service in Bush’s White House.

But after emails released to the Judiciary panel showed Kavanaugh becoming involved with the Pryor pick, President Donald Trump’s high court nominee said that while he was “interested in” Pryor’s progress to confirmation, he was “not the primary person on that.”

The office of the top Democrat on Judiciary, California Sen. Dianne Feinstein, did not immediately return a request for comment on the request by the three liberal groups, which asked the party’s senators “to immediately refer this matter to the Department of Justice for criminal investigation and potential criminal charges.”

TommyJeff
10-05-2018, 06:19 AM

This is partly because they, unconstitutionally, run on the same ticket.

devil21
10-05-2018, 09:24 PM
Fun thread to go back and compare the original "thoughts" by posters on Kavanaugh compared to those same posters "thoughts" on him now, after the whole media and Congress dog and pony show has played out. The mind-control power of controlled opposition is strong.

Aratus
10-06-2018, 12:26 AM

The lady judge is something of a newbie. Less time on the bench,
less thoughts in print, less enemies behind the scenes. Less of a
political target, and less 'insider' connected. One of the other two
finalists actually drove cab in Waltham, Massachusetts. The other
guy sounded like he was Anthony Kennedy's faithful apprentice...

John Marshall

Fun thread to go back and compare the original "thoughts" by posters on Kavanaugh compared to those same posters "thoughts" on him now, after the whole media and Congress dog and pony show has played out. The mind-control power of controlled opposition is strong.

Here are a few of my brainfreezes...

Aratus
10-06-2018, 12:28 AM
Is Mister K actually a Cheney protege? Those 100,ooo pages actually spill national security chitchat etc...

Lindsey played to his SC base, as Mister K looks like he's at JOHN McCAIN's funeral.
WHAT aRE tHEY all sItTING oN tHAT iS sO tOP sECRET? Way past JAIL HILLARY?????

The ole W gave a road-rage steroid boost to a quasi-military quasi-espionage shadow court system
with Patriot Acts one and two. This more draconian sly court system that brings to mind U.K law and
STUART ERA proceedings like the auld STAR CHAMBERs that Lord Oliver Cromwell abolished could be
where young Monsieur Kavanaugh won his Bushite Spurs right after 911 had our public out for blood.

Mister K = player
Gorsuch = libertarian

Here I start to look underneath things...

Aratus
10-06-2018, 12:32 AM
Is Mister K actually a Cheney protege? ...

You'd think that Jeb Bush was President with this pick.

And he had Kenneth Starr as a boss for a time...

The BUSH insider connections are abundantly obvious.

Aratus
10-06-2018, 12:33 AM
He likes beer.

specsaregood
10-06-2018, 01:57 PM
So it looks official. 50Yes, 48No.

Brian4Liberty
01-13-2022, 09:52 PM
Kavanaugh reached virtually the same conclusion on the Obamacare ACA case.... he wrote an opinion similar to CJ Roberts.... believe me we don't need another fucking Roberts on the court. We need another Thomas. I'd be happy with Judge Nap ;)

Jack Posobiec
����
‏Verified account JackPosobiec

Jack Posobiec backed Kavanaugh?

President Trump has confirmed that his nominee to succeed Justice Anthony Kennedy on the Supreme Court will be 53-year-old appeals court judge Brett Kavanaugh, the long-reputed frontrunner. The White House managed to keep Trump's pick a secret until roughly 8 minutes before the President's planned announcement, when NBC News confirmed that Kavanaugh had clinched the nomination.

BREAKING: "Tonight, it is my honor and privilege to announce that I will nominate Judge Brett Kavanaugh to the United States Supreme Court." https://t.co/5RVZrIaUdm pic.twitter.com/5KTY5lO2Mc (https://t.co/5KTY5lO2Mc)
— ABC News (@ABC) July 10, 2018 (https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1016489356851212290?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw) As Trump pointed out, a dozen of Kavanaugh's 300 DC Circuit opinions have been adopted by the Supreme Court. "There is no one in America more qualified for this position or more deserving." During his remarks, Kavanaugh said his judicial philosophy is straighforward. A judge must interpret the law, not make the law, and interpret the constitution as written. Kavanaugh went to Yale and Yale Law and clerked for Kennedy on the Supreme Court, where he reportedly first met Neil Gorsuch, Trump's first SCOTUS nominee.
As Bloomberg (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/live-blog/2018-07-09/president-donald-trump-announces-his-supreme-court-nominee) points out, expect a lot of focus on Kavanaugh's 2009 paper arguing that a president shouldn't have to face the distractions of criminal prosecutions and lawsuits while president. Kavanaugh could cast the deciding vote on whether Trump must cooperate with a grand jury subpoena from Robert Mueller. Already, Democratic Senator Richard Blumenthal is telling reporters that he would ask Kavanaugh to recuse himself from cases related to the Mueller probe.
By choosing Kavanaugh, President Trump has satisfied online bookmakers and Washington insiders alike by selecting Brett Kavanaugh, long rumored to be the front-runner, as his pick to succeed Justice Anthony Kennedy. While he reportedly faced opposition from some social conservatives over his ties to former President George W Bush, Kavanaugh benefited from a lengthy history of conservative rulings (he’s served in his current role as circuit judge for the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia since 2006) and the support of White House counsel Don McGahn III, who was tasked with leading the search. Though his rulings on some issues - notably Obamacare - have been seen as controversial by some.
If confirmed, Kavanaugh could trigger a historic shift in the balance of power, creating one of the most conservative courts in generations. This could in turn shift to the right the Court's position on issues including abortion, gay rights, affirmative action, the death penalty and federal regulatory power, according to Bloomberg (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-10/court-pick-kavanaugh-is-washington-insider-regulation-skeptic). He faced stiff opposition from Democrats when he was nominated by Bush in 2006 for the appeals court. His pro-business bona fides including being the only dissenting voice when health insurer Anthem appealed a lower court's rejection of its attempted merger with Cigna.

Democrats said Kavanaugh was too partisan to become a judge. Senator Chuck Schumer of New York, now the Democratic leader, called Kavanaugh a "very bright legal foot soldier." He was eventually confirmed in 2006.
On the appeals court, Kavanaugh has largely been a foe of government regulation, voting to strike down rules issued by the Environmental Protection Agency under President Barack Obama. He expressed doubt about Obama’s Clean Power Plan, though the appeals court never ruled on the issue.
Kavanaugh also said he would have thrown out the Obama-era net neutrality rule, which barred internet service providers from slowing or blocking rivals’ content. He voted to give the president the power to fire the director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau for any reason.
[...]
Kavanaugh voted to throw out a constitutional challenge to Obamacare in 2011 but left open the possibility the law could be overturned later. He said his colleagues’ decision to uphold the law, and its requirement to either buy insurance or pay a penalty, offered "no real limiting principle" and would have "extraordinary ramifications."
Although he hasn’t ruled directly on abortion rights, he sided with the Trump administration in a fight with an undocumented teenager seeking to end her pregnancy while in federal custody.
In a dissenting opinion, Kavanaugh said he would have blocked the girl, who was 15 weeks pregnant, from having an abortion for at least another week. The government said it was trying to find a sponsor for the girl so that officials wouldn’t have to "facilitate" her trip to an abortion clinic. The girl later had the procedure.
According to one measure cited by Axios (https://www.axios.com/brett-kavanaugh-conservative-ideological-political-views-9d009f84-0e0a-4ebf-ac82-084489a108f2.html), Kavanaugh would be the second-most conservative justice on the court.
https://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/inline-images/2018.07.09scotusgraphic.JPG
Kavanaugh is also widely known for the fact that he drafted much of the Starr Report, which led to Bill Clinton's impeachment, and also included graphic details about sexual acts with White House intern Monica Lewinsky. Trump’s nomination has set in motion what could be a weekslong confirmation process as Republicans struggle with an precariously flimsy majority of one (thanks to Sen. John McCain’s expected absence due to illness). As the Wall Street Journal points out, both pro- and anti-choice groups are planning millions of dollars in ad buys targeting the states of potential swing voters on both sides of the aisle. According to Marc Short, the Whtie House legislative director, Kavanaugh is expected to be confirmed by Oct. 1. Though given the high stakes and the number of opinions Kavanaugh has authored, Democrats could try to stretch it out until after the mid-terms.
Unsurprisingly, the RNC cheered Kavanaugh's nomination, calling him a "champion of the rule of law."

NEW: "Judge Kavanaugh is the best choice to succeed Justice Anthony Kennedy and Senate Democrats must put partisan politics aside and vote to confirm him to the Supreme Court," the RNC says in a statement https://t.co/MGNpLeb2xk pic.twitter.com/EBWdjsoGz9 (https://t.co/EBWdjsoGz9)
— ABC News Politics (@ABCPolitics) July 10, 2018 (https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/1016495504686043136?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw) The NRA also hailed him as "a fantastic pick." But at least one swing-vote Republican refused to outright endorse him: Susan Collins said only that Kavanaugh had "impressive credentials."
Minority Leader Chuck Schumer is also out with a statement:

"Trump has put reproductive rights and freedoms and health care protections for millions of Americans on the judicial chopping block," Schumer said. "His own writings make clear that he would rule against reproductive rights and freedoms, and that he would welcome challenges to the constitutionality of the Affordable Care Act."
[...]
"If he were to be confirmed, women’s reproductive rights would be in the hands of five men on the Supreme Court."
[...]
"I will oppose Judge Kavanaugh’s nomination with everything I have, and I hope a bipartisan majority will do the same. The stakes are simply too high for anything less."
Given Kavanaugh's history of siding with business over workers, the AFL-CIO also released a statement slamming his nomination.

Kavanaugh "routinely rules against working families, regularly rejects employees’ right to receive employer-provided health care, too often sides with employers in denying employees relief from discrimination in the workplace and promotes overturning well-established U.S. Supreme Court precedent."

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-07-09/watch-president-trump-unveils-his-scotus-pick

Wonderful choice.

Swordsmyth
01-14-2022, 02:07 AM
So it looks official. 50Yes, 48No.
@Bryan (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/member.php?u=2) bring back Specs.
#NeanderthalLivesMatter.

Just admit that Josh was wrong.

unknown
01-14-2022, 03:48 AM

Judge Nap all day.

The closest thing that we would have had to a real constitutional based judge.