PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations To One Of Us....

angelatc
07-03-2018, 06:23 PM
Our own (albeit MIA) Alex Merced is the newly elected Vice Chair of the Libertarian Party. Congratulations, Alex!

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/36522055_10211426122640331_5922498994805669888_n.j pg?_nc_cat=0&oh=4cd2959f8e7b93ae5ec33fca91bb5558&oe=5BA0349F

Swordsmyth
07-03-2018, 06:35 PM
Good, maybe he can get them to invite Ron to the convention instead of Beck.

It will take more than just this to give me hope for the LP.

timosman
07-03-2018, 06:48 PM
We could take over LP and make them issue an apology for the conduct in recent years. Somebody would have to be thrown under the bus. Gary Johnson?:cool:

angelatc
07-03-2018, 06:50 PM
We could take over LP and make them issue an apology for the conduct in recent years. Somebody would have to be thrown under the bus. Gary Johnson?:cool:

It's all about the delegates. If you don't want Bill Weld to be the next LP candidate, then become a delegate and vote for someone else.

timosman
07-03-2018, 06:52 PM
It's all about the delegates. If you don't want Bill Weld to be the next LP candidate, then become a delegate and vote for someone else.

Does it work with DNC or GOP? What if they start checking?

Swordsmyth
07-03-2018, 06:54 PM

Stripper guy.

timosman
07-03-2018, 07:10 PM
Stripper guy.

Mr. Nobody. Who set it up?

Swordsmyth
07-03-2018, 07:12 PM
Mr. Nobody. Who set it up?

That would be useful to know.

timosman
07-03-2018, 07:14 PM
That would be useful to know.

Maybe we should concentrate on issues like that instead of trying to look upset. :cool:

Swordsmyth
07-03-2018, 07:17 PM
Maybe we should concentrate on issues like that instead of trying to look upset. :cool:

Why can't we do both?

Anti Globalist
07-03-2018, 07:21 PM
Congrats Alex Merced.

Aratus
07-03-2018, 07:31 PM
I LIKE GARY JOHNSON!!!!!
he's MY sort of Pothead...
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :toady:
However I am like... WOW
happy even. Elated. In bliss.

timosman
07-03-2018, 07:41 PM
Why can't we do both?

You want to look upset? :cool:

timosman
07-03-2018, 07:42 PM
I LIKE GARY JOHNSON!!!!!
he's MY sort of Pothead...
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :toady:
However I am like... WOW
happy even. Elated. In bliss.

Ok, Gary. Enough of this for today. :cool:

Swordsmyth
07-03-2018, 07:44 PM
You want to look upset? :cool:

At times.

The LP is one of the things that tends to cause it.

timosman
07-03-2018, 07:47 PM
At times.

The LP is one of the things that tends to cause it.

We could uproot it and make it RP lite or on steroids. :cool:

Aratus
07-03-2018, 07:47 PM
Ok, Gary. Enough of this for today. :cool:

MITCH McCONNELL wants to legalize hemp...

timosman
07-03-2018, 07:48 PM
MITCH McCONNELL wants to legalize hemp...

Of course he does. He always wanted but they wouldn't let him. They said they had pictures.:cool:

TheTexan
07-03-2018, 08:06 PM

+rep voting is the key to changing everything

timosman
07-03-2018, 08:11 PM

Did they ever upgrade you? Same old jokes. Should I kill myself now or should I read a few more of your posts?:confused:

FvS
07-03-2018, 08:12 PM
Save the Libertarian Party, be strong on immigration.

Aratus
07-03-2018, 08:13 PM
Save the Libertarian Party...

:)

Aratus
07-03-2018, 08:14 PM
Trump is being worse than stupid on immigration...

FvS
07-03-2018, 08:41 PM
Trump is being worse than stupid on immigration...

I know. He could be deporting dreamers everyday until he gets the wall, and he also has an entire military at his disposal that he could use to stop the invasion.

Aratus
07-03-2018, 08:43 PM
I know. He could be deporting dreamers everyday until he gets the wall, and he also has an entire military at his disposal that he could use to stop the invasion.

And he came close to jingoisticly starting WW3 during year one of his presidency...

Aratus
07-03-2018, 08:46 PM
There are times when DJT can be an abomination as unto the Good Lord
or even a bloody blithering jAcka$$$ when making a POTUS level decision.
I wish Jill Stein or Gary Johnson had been handed the monies Putin gave
to Donald John Trump. I really do. Trump got tons of rubles galore indeedy.

timosman
07-03-2018, 08:50 PM
And he came close to jingoisticly starting WW3 during year one of his presidency...

I am concerned about your deteriorating mental state.:cool:

Aratus
07-03-2018, 08:51 PM
I am concerned about your deteriorating mental state.:cool:

Likewise I am concerned about YOUR deteriorating mental state. :cool: oddly enough...

TheTexan
07-03-2018, 08:51 PM
Did they ever upgrade you? Same old jokes. Should I kill myself now or should I read a few more of your posts?:confused:

Yes, now is good

Swordsmyth
07-03-2018, 08:52 PM
The best way to ensure peace is to be ready for war, DJTvsg understands that, war was not in the cards.

Aratus
07-03-2018, 08:52 PM
Yes, now is good

:) :) :) :) :)

Texans have true grit.

Swordsmyth
07-03-2018, 08:53 PM
There are times when DJT can be an abomination as unto the Good Lord
or even a bloody blithering jAcka$$$ when making a POTUS level decision.
I wish Jill Stein or Gary Johnson had been handed the monies Putin gave
to Donald John Trump. I really do. Trump got tons of rubles galore indeedy.

Did you see it in your crystal ball?

timosman
07-03-2018, 08:54 PM
Likewise I am concerned about YOUR deteriorating mental state. :cool: oddly enough...

Complete lack of creativity. Just like Zippy.:cool:

Aratus
07-03-2018, 08:54 PM
The best way to ensure peace is to be ready for war, DJTvsg understands that, war was not in the cards.

This was Trump's version of Herman Kahn's Mutual Assured Destruction theory? Just curious...

timosman
07-03-2018, 08:58 PM
This was Trump's version of Herman Kahn's Mutual Assured Destruction theory? Just curious...

http://theridgewoodblog.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/what-difference-does-it-make-meme-generator-what-difference-does-it-make-ee8d52_zps7f4cd1051.jpg

Aratus
07-03-2018, 09:01 PM
http://theridgewoodblog.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/what-difference-does-it-make-meme-generator-what-difference-does-it-make-ee8d52_zps7f4cd1051.jpg

If carried to extremes by both sides... We actually nuke each other....
You have to hold back and play the hand out like a poker hand. This
is what happily looking at the movie DOCTOR STRANGELOVE does
if you have also cautiously read up on John Nash's GAME THEORY ideas.

timosman
07-03-2018, 09:04 PM
If carried to extremes by both sides... We actually nuke each other....
You have to hold back and play the hand out like a poker hand. This
is what happily looking at the movie DOCTOR STRANGELOVE does
if you have also cautiously read up on John Nash's GAME THEORY ideas.

Why are we even talking about it?:confused:

Swordsmyth
07-03-2018, 09:06 PM

Sort of, you can also think of it like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoxVlKoQ1cg

Aratus
07-03-2018, 09:07 PM
Why are we even talking about it?:confused:

I am 100% inside a very HUNTER S THOMPSON mood.
Harlan Ellison just passed away. Now I really feel old...

oyarde
07-03-2018, 09:19 PM
Congratulations Alex ! I think . Now that you are an official Libertarian you do not have to clean your room . Do not listen to the statists .

oyarde
07-03-2018, 09:39 PM
I am giving Alex five stars .

oyarde
07-03-2018, 09:49 PM
Nice suit too Alex .

timosman
07-03-2018, 09:53 PM
:) :) :) :) :)

Texans have true grit.

Trolls like us. :cool:

angelatc
07-03-2018, 10:01 PM

Delegates have super powers.

TheTexan
07-03-2018, 10:45 PM
Delegates have super powers.

Yes they do. They train in their conclaves high in their congresses, practicing and honing their powers.

With the dream of someday becoming: a super delegate

Brian4Liberty
07-05-2018, 03:06 PM
Congrats to Alex! Good luck.

Brian4Liberty
07-05-2018, 03:18 PM
Libertarian Party Rebuffs Mises Uprising (https://reason.com/blog/2018/07/04/libertarian-party-rebuffs-mises-uprising)
Incumbent National Chair Nick Sarwark, after picking a fight with Tom Woods, routs a Mises-backed challenger at the party’s national convention. Controversial vice chair Arvin Vohra also booted out of office.
Matt Welch|Jul. 4, 2018

The Libertarian Party on Monday afternoon re-elected in a surprising first-ballot landslide incumbent Chair Nicholas Sarwark to an unprecedented third consecutive two-year term. In doing so, the nation's third-largest political party swatted down what was supposed to be the most contentious challenge at its biannual national convention—to a leadership that was considered by various critics to be too operationally incremental, too ideologically tepid, and too (in the words of Ludwig von Mises Institute Senior Fellow and popular podcaster Tom Woods at a nearby New Orleans rally Saturday) "SJW-friendly."

Instead, Sarwark's main opponent, the Mises Caucus-endorsed Joshua Smith, stumbled badly in a defensive debate performance at the New Orleans Hyatt Regency Sunday night, and ended up Monday on the business end of a 65 percent-22 percent rout. In the vice chair race, two-term incumbent Arvin Vohra, who has become a lightning rod over the past year-plus for intentionally provocative public comments such as "Bad Idea: School Shootings. Good Idea: School Board Shootings," was resoundingly drummed out of office, never receiving more than 11 percent of the vote in three rounds of balloting that ended Tuesday with a positivity-exuding 33-year-old finance/tech/consulting guy named Alex Merced squeaking past the 50 percent finish line.

"What I think the race shows is that if you want to change the direction of the Libertarian Party, if you have new ideas about how we can grow and reach new members, the election of Merced to vice chair shows that the delegates want that kind of change," Sarwark told me Tuesday afternoon. "If your campaign is seen, or has themes of trying to kick people out, of trying to attack people like Gov. Weld, or... basically anyone—if your campaign was seen as trying to drive people out of the party, the delegates soundly rejected that. And I think that that is the biggest takeaway from the convention."

Weld, the controversial-within-the-party 2016 vice presidential nominee and former moderate Republican Massachusetts governor who is laying the groundwork for a possible 2020 presidential run (and was everywhere to be seen at the convention, amiably taking on all skeptical comers), played a pivotal role in the decisive debate. Candidates had the opportunity to ask their opponents one question, and when it was Smith's turn, a delegate in the audience shouted out, "What do you think about Bill Weld?!" (Weld-heckling was a sporadic feature throughout the three-day event.) Smith decided to make that his question.

"What I think about Bill Weld," Sarwark started slowly, building into a feisty crescendo, "is that he is still in the Libertarian Party, while many of his opponents are not. [He's been] raising money for and endorsing Libertarian candidates. He is fundraising for us. And the exposure of Bill Weld to the Libertarian Party has not made the Libertarian Party more like an establishment Republican, but has made Bill Weld a lot more like a Libertarian....He knows something about winning public office, and [we need to] learn how to do that from anybody who will help us, anybody who will join us. And we should not PUSH PEOPLE OUT who are willing to help!"
The contest between Sarwark, a careful and smooth-talking 38-year-old lawyer/car dealer who is also running for mayor of Phoenix, and the 35-year-old Navy veteran Smith was so nasty and upsetting for some delegates that vendors were hawking "I survived the Libertarian National Chair campaign 2018" T-shirts. But to the extent that it was a proxy war between the party's new influx of elbow-throwing Tom Woods listeners and its older cohort of more patient coalition-builders, the pragmatists won in a rout.

Woods, not previously noted for his party-related activities, organized* (see correction below) the day before the convention a raucous Take Human Action Bash a few blocks away, featuring a lively mix of speakers such as anti-war author Scott Horton and a piped-in Ron Paul. Unusually for both Woods and Paul, their speeches each made first-person plural references to capital-L Libertarians, and were basically pleas to make the party more like, well, Ron Paul.

"Most people change or adopt ideologies, not because they're gently led by some stuffed shirt, but because they're jolted by an articulate true believer," said Woods, who spent a good deal of time eviscerating the philosophical and policy errors of Bill Weld, to an audience that occasionally broke out in "Tom Woods for president!" chants. "I mean, is the idea that we should be trying to trick people into voting Libertarian?"

Paul, too, urged the 200 or so people in the room—who he called "the libertarian wing of the Libertarian Party"—to focus on the basics of property rights, volunteerism, and being anti-war and anti-Federal Reserve. "Congratulations for being in the Mises Caucus, keep up the good work, and keep everybody honest," he concluded.
Meanwhile, at the convention over the subsequent days, the party adopted new platform language defending sex workers, and removed old platform language that had supporting "control over the entry into our country of foreign nationals who pose a credible threat to security, health or property" (a change that Sarwark in particular finds significant in the current political climate). The party retained its usual support for "free market banking" and condemnation of the "use of force."
* Tom Woods tweets that he did not organize the event, but that the Mises Caucus organized. My apologies to both parties.
More: https://reason.com/blog/2018/07/04/libertarian-party-rebuffs-mises-uprising

Swordsmyth
07-05-2018, 03:28 PM
Libertarian Party Rebuffs Mises Uprising (https://reason.com/blog/2018/07/04/libertarian-party-rebuffs-mises-uprising)
Incumbent National Chair Nick Sarwark, after picking a fight with Tom Woods, routs a Mises-backed challenger at the party’s national convention. Controversial vice chair Arvin Vohra also booted out of office.
Matt Welch|Jul. 4, 2018

The LP is doomed.

Alex Merced can't save it, there are too many lunatics of too many different stripes infesting it and the controlled opposition is in firm control with Weld becoming the face of the party.

Pauls' Revere
07-05-2018, 07:39 PM
CONGRATS!!! ALEX! MAKE IT HAPPEN.

euphemia
07-05-2018, 07:43 PM
Save the Libertarian Party, be strong on immigration.

Rebrand and rename the Libertarian Party. Gary Johnson was never a Libertarian.

specsaregood
07-05-2018, 07:47 PM
Matt Welch|Jul. 4, 2018

Did that accidental racist tweet get posted in the midst of this "uprising"?

edit: it looks like that tweet went out just a few hours before the voting for this chairmanship began. Coincidence or inside-job to ensure the mises backed challenger lost?

Aratus
07-05-2018, 08:10 PM
Rebrand and rename the Libertarian Party. Gary Johnson was never a Libertarian.

He did smoke his fair share of a most unique "weed" in his day...

Seriously though, BILL WELD is trying to remake the LP in his image,

his carrot-top Baystate WASP bordering on 100% BAWSTUN Brahman

image? Were y'all hurting jibes at me becuz y'all thought I wuz into

gettin the Mitt Romney groove back on, too & likewise? Just askin!

angelatc
07-05-2018, 10:22 PM

edit: it looks like that tweet went out just a few hours before the voting for this chairmanship began. Coincidence or inside-job to ensure the mises backed challenger lost?

No, Tom Woods was already less than popular with the left-leaners.

The contest between Sarwark, a careful and smooth-talking 38-year-old lawyer/car dealer who is also running for mayor of Phoenix, and the 35-year-old Navy veteran Smith was so nasty and upsetting for some delegates that vendors were hawking "I survived the Libertarian National Chair campaign 2018" T-shirts Those people are dramatarians who thrive on angst and chaos.

Brian4Liberty
07-05-2018, 11:07 PM

You never know. Woods supposedly claims the staffer is a good guy, per Collins.

On the other hand, there have been moles in the past. Read as sinister music: "Dum, de, dum, dum, Dondero..."

Voluntarist
07-06-2018, 05:04 PM
xxxxx

Voluntarist
07-06-2018, 05:17 PM
xxxxx

Feeding the Abscess
07-06-2018, 07:52 PM
Matt Welch|Jul. 4, 2018

Media doesn't present what Ron actually says - voluntarism - and instead inserts a similar sounding, but different meaning, word. Typical.

eleganz
07-06-2018, 08:23 PM
Is it me or has the message of liberty as well as realistic progress gone lightyears farther using the GOP as a vehicle instead of LP?

Swordsmyth
07-06-2018, 08:29 PM
Is it me or has the message of liberty as well as realistic progress gone lightyears farther using the GOP as a vehicle instead of LP?

It has, unfortunately that still has been very little, but very little is better than backwards, the LP drives people away from small government, in my opinion it does that on purpose.