PDA

View Full Version : 30 years ago today the US blew an Iranian Civilian Airplane out of the sky killing 290-66 kids

Peace Piper
07-03-2018, 02:26 PM
Happy Anniversary

The 8th Minute: The day the US shot down Iran Flight 655, killing 290 people including 66 children

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e4/Iran_Air_655_Strait_of_hormuz_80.jpg/220px-Iran_Air_655_Strait_of_hormuz_80.jpg

Upward Media Published on Jun 30, 2018: On July 3, 1988, at exactly 10:16 am, Flight 655 leaves Bandar Abbas Airport for Dubai. Only 8 minutes into the flight and above the turquoise waters of the Persian Gulf, the Airbus passenger aircraft A300 is shot by United States Navy cruiser USS Vincennes. All 274 passengers, along with 16 crew members are killed. A total of 290 innocent lives are lost in a matter of seconds. But why was the Iranian passenger aircraft targeted? Vincennes crew claimed that they mistook this big aircraft for the much smaller F-14 jet. Yet Airbus A300 bears no resemblance to F-14 warplanes. The passenger airplane is much larger than the warplane and is not as fast. This documentary investigates the tragic incident through interviews with eyewitnesses and experts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-pjhszq-8U

Iran Air Flight 655
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655

The jet was hit while flying over Iran's territorial waters in the Persian Gulf along the flight's usual route. Vincennes had entered Iranian territorial waters after one of its helicopters drew warning fire from Iranian speedboats operating within Iranian territorial limits...

The U.S. government issued notes of regret for the loss of human lives, but never formally apologized or acknowledged wrongdoing. George H. W. Bush, the vice president of the United States at the time commented on a separate occasion, speaking to a group of Republican ethnic leaders (7 Aug 1988) said: “I will never apologize for the United States — I don’t care what the facts are… I’m not an apologize-for-America kind of guy.”

Swordsmyth
07-03-2018, 02:29 PM
This belongs in the history forum.

Peace Piper
07-03-2018, 02:40 PM

The Mods can move it wherever they want. This forum gets views so I put it here. It IS US politics.

How many views does a typical article get in the history forum?

dannno
07-03-2018, 02:45 PM

Your mom belongs in the history forum.

shakey1
07-03-2018, 02:59 PM
George H. W. Bush, the vice president of the United States at the time commented on a separate occasion, speaking to a group of Republican ethnic leaders (7 Aug 1988) said: “I will never apologize for the United States — I don’t care what the facts are… I’m not an apologize-for-America kind of guy.”

So very fucking exceptional aren't we?

Danke
07-03-2018, 03:13 PM
Your mom belongs in the history forum.

http://bp3.blogger.com/_NE-72ZXux-g/RppFaUVOpGI/AAAAAAAABL8/OQNIGoIlYPo/s320/Osama+bin+Laden+at+Oxford+-+on+right.jpg

spudea
07-03-2018, 03:44 PM
Why didn't the passenger airplane respond to the radio warnings? Why didn't the Iranian boats warn the airport of hostile enemies and why would the airport clear a take off when they know hostile ships are in the region?

Danke
07-03-2018, 03:47 PM
Why didn't the passenger airplane respond to the radio warnings? Why didn't the Iranian boats warn the airport of hostile enemies and why would the airport clear a take off when they know hostile ships are in the region?

It was 8 minutes after takeoff, they were still climbing and very busy. I still fly with guys who don't monitor the emergency frequency called "Guard." Maybe they did hear the calls and didn't realize it was meant for them, etc etc....

Aratus
07-03-2018, 04:01 PM
They didn't own up to this at the time, it was a flare point for a war...

Ender
07-03-2018, 05:00 PM

And what was the US military doing there? This was Iranian territory.

timosman
07-03-2018, 05:07 PM

Making sure our national interests are protected. Any more questions?:confused:

spudea
07-03-2018, 05:16 PM

the video explained that part.

spudea
07-03-2018, 05:19 PM
It was 8 minutes after takeoff, they were still climbing and very busy. I still fly with guys who don't monitor the emergency frequency called "Guard." Maybe they did hear the calls and didn't realize it was meant for them, etc etc....

That's great. Maybe if you are in a region known for conflict and foreign hostile military assets, you would be a bit more attentive.

Ender
07-03-2018, 05:21 PM
the video explained that part.

And.....?

Ender
07-03-2018, 06:16 PM
And.....?

spudea -repped me for asking a fucking question?

Ahh... the smell of freedom......

timosman
07-03-2018, 06:51 PM
spudea -repped me for asking a fucking question?

Can somebody say it? I haven't read it either.:cool:

AngryCanadian
07-03-2018, 07:01 PM
I’m not an apologize-for-America kind of guy.”

Then Some Americans why they are hated around the world.

Anti Globalist
07-03-2018, 07:10 PM
How nice of the US government to do that.

Aratus
07-03-2018, 07:36 PM
spudea -repped me for asking a $#@!ing question?

Joe... yo. This is why I luv this place...

timosman
07-03-2018, 07:40 PM

I would vote humor. :D

enhanced_deficit
07-04-2018, 05:18 AM
George H. W. Bush, the vice president of the United States at the time commented on a separate occasion, speaking to a group of Republican ethnic leaders (7 Aug 1988) said: “I will never apologize for the United States — I don’t care what the facts are… I’m not an apologize-for-America kind of guy.”

So very $#@!ing exceptional aren't we?

To be fair, his views seemed to have evolved over the years. For example, in 1988 he was teaching Bush Jr (and probably Karl Rove) to be anti gay wedding cakes. Come 2013, his views changed sharply.

George W. Bush sought to officiate same-sex wedding: report
washingtonblade
May 24, 2015 - President George W. Bush reportedly sought to officiate a same-sex wedding in 2013.

Was this change result of Barack Hussein (Iranian name?) Obama therapy, I doubt it.

No, this seems like modern history.

Otherwise upcoming 15th anniversary of Iraqi Freedom invasion led by valiant son of H W Bush will also be too ancient to be discussed on news forums/ MSM owners current news noise channels?