PDA

View Full Version : AMLO pledges to 'reach understanding' with Trump

Swordsmyth
07-02-2018, 05:58 PM
Fresh off a landslide victory, Mexico's newly elected leftist president Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador pledged Monday to "reach an understanding" with Donald Trump amid uncertain times for two countries that must seek consensus on everything from contentious trade talks to cooperation on security and migration.During a half-hour telephone conversation, Trump said the two leaders discussed topics including border security, trade and the North American Free Trade Agreement, adding that "I think the relationship will be a very good one."
In an interview with the Televisa news network, Lopez Obrador did not provide specifics on what an "understanding" with the Trump administration might look like, except to emphasize the need for mutual respect and cooperation between the two neighbors.
"We are conscious of the need to maintain good relations with the United States. We have a border of more than 3,000 kilometers, more than 12 million Mexicans live in the United States. It is our main economic-commercial partner," he said.
"We are not going to fight. We are always going to seek for there to be an agreement. ... We are going to extend our frank hand to seek a relation of friendship, I repeat, of cooperation with the United States."

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/mexico-gives-leftist-lopez-obrador-big-presidential-win-065610653.html

Swordsmyth
07-02-2018, 11:58 PM
Mexican president-elect Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador spoke for half an hour on Monday with President Donald Trump, suggesting a deal to reduce US-bound migration in exchange for American assistance with economic development in Mexico.
“I proposed exploring a mutual agreement; development projects that would create jobs in Mexico and, by doing so, reduce migration and improve security,” tweeted the fiery Leftist.
“The tone was respectful and our teams will be holding talks.”
Mr Trump said that the strong-willed duo had “a good conversation,” adding: “I think the relationship will be a very good one.” (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/07/02/mexicos-leftistlopez-obrador-course-election-victory-ruling/)
He said they discussed border security, trade and the North American Free Trade Agreement (Nafta).
“I told him a number of years ago when I saw him campaigning for a different race, frankly, a different year, a different race, I said he will be, some day he's going to be the president of Mexico,” said Mr Trump.
“So he remembered that. And it turned out to be correct.”

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/lopez-obrador-suggests-deal-trump-210834861.html

Swordsmyth
07-05-2018, 08:12 PM
Mexico's President-elect Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said on Thursday he would invite U.S. President Donald Trump to his Dec. 1 inauguration, as the leftist signaled a potential shift in Mexican policy toward Venezuela.Lopez Obrador, who won election by a landslide on Sunday, said he would invite Trump, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and other heads of state to his swearing in.

"An invitation will be sent to Donald Trump. We are neighboring countries, we have economic and trade relations, a bond of friendship," Lopez Obrador told a news conference.

Relations between the two men will be under close scrutiny to see whether they can move past tensions over migration, the renegotiation of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and Trump's demand that Mexico pay for a border wall.

The 64-year-old Lopez Obrador wants to broker a deal with Trump under which the United States helps economic development in Mexico and Central America, and Mexico works to reduce migration from the region north.

Lopez Obrador broached the issue with Trump on Monday in what he described as a friendly and respectful phone call. Trump said he felt the relationship would be a "very good one."

An aide to the incoming Mexican president said the call served as a reset in ties between the neighboring countries.

Lopez Obrador's team is preparing for a joint meeting with U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and outgoing President Enrique Pena Nieto in Mexico City at the end of next week.

More at: https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2018-07-05/mexicos-president-elect-lopez-obrador-picks-marcelo-ebrard-as-foreign-minister

Cleaner44
07-05-2018, 08:28 PM
Trump is all about making deals and I feel confident that he will drive a hard bargain in some arrangement with Mexico. I also believe he will get his wall built.

Swordsmyth
07-22-2018, 09:36 PM
President-elect Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador on Sunday released a seven-page letter he sent to U.S. President Donald Trump detailing how he plans to improve Mexico's economy and security when he takes office in December so that Mexicans do not feel the need to migrate. "There will be many changes," he promised in the letter. "And in this new atmosphere of progress with well-being, I'm sure we can reach agreements to confront together the migration phenomenon as well as the problem of border insecurity."
Lopez Obrador also suggested the two countries draft a development plan backed by public funds and invite Central American countries to join, with the aim of making it "economically unnecessary" for Central Americans to migrate.
Marcelo Ebrard, who is slated to become Mexico's foreign minister, read the letter aloud to reporters gathered at Lopez Obrador's political party headquarters. Ebrard said Trump had received the letter.
The incoming Mexican president plans to cut government salaries, perks and jobs. Savings from those cuts, he says, will be directed toward social programs and infrastructure. He also plans to reduce taxes for the private sector in the hopes of spurring investment and job creation.

More at: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/07/22/mexican-president-elect-vows-improvements-to-deter-migration.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%253A+foxnews%252Fworld+(Internal +-+World+Latest+-+Text)

enhanced_deficit
07-22-2018, 09:45 PM
For a second thought he had agreed that 'Mexico will pay for the wall' after seeing the title...but still any understanding is better than misunderstanding.

Swordsmyth
09-23-2018, 03:58 PM
Mexican president-elect Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said he does not want to fight with US President Donald Trump on immigration.Trump's hardline approach on the subject has ramped up tensions and riled Mexicans, who he previously claimed would pay for the construction of a wall between the two countries.
But the leftist Lopez Obrador told reporters in the border state of Sonora on Saturday that angry exchanges were not the answer.
"We are not going to fight with the US government, we are not going to fight with President Donald Trump," he said.
"The migration problem is not resolved by building walls or by use of force, but it's a diplomatic job of respect," added Lopez Obrador, who takes office on December 1.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/mexico-president-elect-says-not-fight-trump-055244476.html