PDA

View Full Version : We are missing a big opportunity with C-SPAN

LibertyEagle
07-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Nearly every morning there is a portion of CSPAN's Washington Journal that allows callers to call-in and comment. This morning, I have heard one person who supported Ron Paul. We could do a lot of good here, talking about libertarian-conservative principles, the Constitution and Ron Paul.

A lot of people listen to CSPAN, especially the older Americans that we need so badly to reach.

Let's start taking advantage of this opportunity.

rg123
07-02-2007, 10:09 AM
Liberty I have posted about the same thing many times it is a missed opportunity
I try every day to get through but never do.

LibertyEagle
07-02-2007, 10:12 AM
The opportunities will only increase as the election cycle goes along. As I recall, they really bump up the opportunities for call-ins.

All we can do is for us all to keep trying. We'll eventually get through.

damijin
07-02-2007, 10:13 AM
I agree that Washington Journal should be a priority of ours, however, I think that taking a fully enthusiastic "HI IM HERE TO TALK ABOUT ON PAUL" position will not resonate too well with the viewers.

I suggest calling in on relevant segments, because no one likes someone that calls during the wrong segment to push their personal agenda, and asking questions of guests and the host rather than speaking about our own beliefs. For instance:

"Hi, yeah, I'm calling in to ask a question about a Republican candidate. I've heard that Ron Paul is the only anti-war candidate running for the GOP nomination, is this true, and if so, why don't we hear more about him?"

LibertyEagle
07-02-2007, 10:15 AM
damijin... I agree. But, we certainly can talk about the principles related to the issue they are discussing.

LibertyEagle
07-02-2007, 10:19 AM
Now, I'm watching a segment with Elizabeth Edwards campaigning for her husband. She's talking about socialized medicine and the sliding scale that would be imposed if her husband was President. She told everyone that if they had questions, they could email her at elizabeth@johnedwards.com I might email her and ask her how he plans to PAY for the friggin' thing, given that we are flat out broke and they have run out of places like Social Security to raid for their spending spree.

I wish Mrs. Paul would become more active in the campaign, because she presents Dr. Paul well. I think she would appeal to a lot of people.

constituent14
07-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Yea, I've been a long time WJ watcher and people do start to get annoyed when one group is calling in Over and Over. No matter how good the point, jamming the phone lines does not present it in a good way. Probably the best thing to do would be e-mail Brian Lamb and ask him to have Ron Paul on to discuss some of his work in congress (his congressional term is ongoing too, not just the presidential campaign). This way you can lobby for Ron Paul and the freedom message without reducing it to simply Vote Ron Paul '08.

LibertyEagle
07-02-2007, 12:05 PM
Listen, I don't know how they'd know if we were Ron Paul supporters, if we didn't tell them. So, I fail to understand how calling and expressing opinions that just so happen to be aligned with libertarian-conservative views would be associated with him. The goal would be to get people to think about a few things, instead of just looking to government to solve all their problems.

tsoldrin
07-02-2007, 12:12 PM
Hey, I watch Washington Journal every day... I was actually watching when Dr. Paul made his presidential bid announcement on there. I try to call in a lot but rarely am able to get through. I think we should definitely redouble efforts to get some good words on air there. It's a fantastic venue because people who watch the show are politically active and they VOTE.

mport1
07-02-2007, 12:17 PM
Washington Journal is awesome and we should all try to get on. I've been on the show once before and I think that if you try for a few days you will have a pretty good chance of getting on. Just make sure you think about what you are going to say first so you come of as being intelligent.

Roxi
07-02-2007, 12:20 PM
jay got through the other day and did a great job keeping to the topic at hand while covertly slipping in some positive Ron Paul remarks :)