PDA

View Full Version : Even Some ICE Agents Want to Abolish ICE — Here's Why

Zippyjuan
06-29-2018, 05:50 PM
https://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/even-some-ice-agents-want-abolish-ice-heres-why

Some complaining that they are being taken away from investigating border crimes to deal with immigrants. Actually they want to break it up into two agencies so each can focus on their main tasks better.

Abolishing ICE — the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency — is gaining steam as a progressive goal in the wake of growing opposition to President Donald Trump's policies and as the progressive forces within the Democratic Party are making inroads.

But in a letter sent last week to Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen, first reported by the Texas Observer, the Trump appointee received a request to break apart the agency from a surprising source.

ICE agents themselves.

Nineteen agents signed on to the proposal that seeks to dissolve the slipshod agency into two separate divisions: One focusing on transnational criminal investigations and the other focused on internal detaining and deporting immigrants already within the United States.

The goal of the agents isn't necessarily the same as progressive who wish to weaken the power of the federal government to invade communities and ruin lives over the commission of a misdemeanor. They write that the two distinct functions of the agency, carried out by the separate branches of Homeland Security Investigations and Enforcement and Removal Operations, respectively, would be better managed under two different agencies.

One of the reasons the agents recommend this path is that they (all 19 agents are a part of the HSI branch) believe their association with ICE and the deportation raids it carries out hurts their ability to do their work.

"The disparate functions performed by ERO and HSI often cause confusion among the public, the press, other law enforcement agencies and lawmakers because the two missions are not well understood and are erroneously combined," they write. "Administrative actions have been mistaken for illegal investigations and warrantless searches. HSl's investigations have been perceived as targeting undocumented aliens, instead of the transnational criminal organizations that facilitate cross-border crimes impacting our communities and national security."

They add: "Furthermore, the perception of investigative independence is unnecessarily impacted by the political nature of civil immigration enforcement."

On the one hand, this may not look at all like the proposal to abolish ICE that many progressives, including the recently nominated New York congressional candidate Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, advocate. It would, in theory, leave the "deportation force" section of ICE intact.

But the plan may nevertheless have significant benefits.

Trump's main tactic in promoting his draconian and punitive immigration policies is to equivocate between the misdemeanor of unauthorized border crossing and the serious crimes that a tiny minority of immigrants actually carry out.

By separating the branch of ICE that actually investigates serious crimes, including gang activity and human trafficking, it would be clear that stopping crime and protecting Americans is not actually the point of ICE's detention and deportation activities. These activities serve another purpose: fighting back against demographic change in the United States.

In fact, as Trump has shifted to prioritizing the deportation of non-criminal immigrants, he undermines his claim that what he's actually focused on is reducing crime.

Breaking apart ICE could help make those differences starker. Reducing transnational criminal activity doesn't have to be paired with aggressive policing of working communities in the United States, and politicians who favor the first mission over the second could more readily draw that distinction under the proposal.

Swordsmyth
06-29-2018, 05:55 PM
Dividing it is not abolishing it.

oyarde
06-29-2018, 06:14 PM
I support abolishing ICE . If the border is secure why do you need it .

Swordsmyth
06-29-2018, 06:20 PM

Visa overstays, but it could be much smaller.

Wooden Indian
06-29-2018, 06:29 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm all about abolishing the entire Patriot Act... but 19 out of.... what... isn't there somewhere around 20,000 agents or something?

I can find a higher percentage of my employees that would want to dissolve this place. Am I missing something?

thoughtomator
06-29-2018, 08:45 PM

It's the instantiation of the rights of Americans to participate in the decision, key to self-determination, of who and what gets into the USA.

Abolishing ICE is ridiculous to suggest before the total rollback of the welfare state.

It is a talking point from a far Left that has been politically routed and completely defeated and is grasping for any straw to hold onto in the storm.

That Zippy is the one to raise it here confirms that he is most definitely a candidate for a free helicopter ride.

Danke
06-29-2018, 08:55 PM
It's the instantiation of the rights of Americans to participate in the decision, key to self-determination, of who and what gets into the USA.

Abolishing ICE is ridiculous to suggest before the total rollback of the welfare state.

It is a talking point from a far Left that has been politically routed and completely defeated and is grasping for any straw to hold onto in the storm.

That Zippy is the one to raise it here confirms that he is most definitely a candidate for a free helicopter ride.

https://i.gifer.com/2Glx.gif