PDA

View Full Version : John Bolton just did a complete 180 on his Russia stance after meeting with Putin

Swordsmyth
06-27-2018, 06:29 PM
US national security adviser John Bolton once said that Russia's interference in the 2016 presidential election was "an act of war" against the US and warned that the US could not trust Russia.
On Wednesday, he told the Russian leader: "We are most appreciative of your courtesy and graciousness."
Bolton's comments came after he met with Russian President Vladimir Putin ahead of a highly anticipated summit between Putin and US President Donald Trump (http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-putin-summit-nato-russia-sanctions-2018-6) in July.

Citing Kremlin spokesperson Yury Ushakov, the Russian state media outlet TASS reported (http://tass.ru/politika/5328949) Putin and Bolton discussed "strategic stability in the world, control over nuclear weapons and, in general, a disarmament dossier." Ushakov said they also discussed the conflicts in Syria and Ukraine, North Korea, and the Iran nuclear deal.
Bolton and the Kremlin did not say whether he and Putin discussed Russia's election meddling. The Kremlin said the two men did not broach the subject of sanctions or the diplomatic spat between the US and Russia.
At a press conference held later in Moscow, Bolton said Moscow and Washington would announce the time and place of the Trump-Putin summit on Thursday. The presser was broadcast from the headquarters of the Russian state media outlet Interfax, instead of from the US embassy in Moscow.

One reporter asked Bolton whether he felt it was appropriate for Trump and Putin to meet given that Russia has not changed any of its behavior in the past.
He was also asked whether Trump would broach Russia's election interference and allegations that a Russian missile was responsible for downing Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 in 2014.
Bolton responded that "there are a wide range of issues ... where both [Trump and Putin] think they'd like to find constructive solutions. I'd like to hear someone say that's a bad idea."
"You yourself said a national security policy based on faith that regimes like Russia will honor their commitments is doomed to failure," the reporter replied.
Bolton said that he would not address previous statements he had made and reiterated that Trump will "raise the full range of issues" between the US and Russia when the presidents meet in July.
He also said Trump and Putin would likely discuss Trump's recent calls for Russia to be readmitted to the G7.

A Bloomberg News reporter later asked Bolton whether he was "suspicious" that Putin arrived on time to the meeting and treated Trump's emissary "with more respect" than he gives other world leaders.
"That's the hardest question I've been asked here today," Bolton quipped. "I could either agree with you that he wasn't late, or I could tell you when he actually arrived and be accused of saying that he was late."
As for "the meaning of [this meeting] with respect to ... anyone else that you mentioned, I think I'll just duck the question," Bolton added.

More at: http://www.businessinsider.com/john-bolton-putin-meeting-russia-policy-shift-2018-6?amp%253Butm_medium=referral

kpitcher
06-28-2018, 10:01 PM
Has bolton publicly declared his undying love and affection to the President like the rest of the cabinet did? I find that behavior beyond weird.

AngryCanadian
06-28-2018, 10:23 PM
It seems Mainstream Media Outlets hacks are really that desperate and itchy for starting a war with Russia.

nobody's_hero
06-28-2018, 10:35 PM
It's almost as if they've decided that being a peace candidate/administration will bring them more votes. —Not saying there's a suddenly a lack of defense contractor shareholders who aren't going to bring pressure to bear.

But, it's nice to see that again. Whether it amounts to much, only time will tell. I'll be looking forward to the Trump-Putin summit on July 16th(right date?).

The sanctions are just stupid, though, and should be lifted. More like a formality at this point I think, than any real economic punishment.

Swordsmyth
07-02-2018, 12:55 AM
White House national security adviser John Bolton says that he has discussed Russia’s illegal annexation of Crimea with Russian President Vladimir Putin. Bolton, who met with Putin in Moscow on June 27, told CBS’s Face The Nation that “President Putin was pretty clear with me about it and my response was we’re going to have to agree to disagree on Ukraine.”
Putin and U.S. President Donald Trump are scheduled to hold their first one-on-one summit in Helsinki on July 16.
On June 29, Trump declined to rule out recognizing Russia’s 2014 annexation of Ukraine’s Crimean Peninsula.
Asked by reporters on Air Force One whether reports about him dropping Washington’s longstanding opposition to the annexation were true, Trump said, “We’re going to have to see.”
Trump gave a similar answer when asked whether he would consider lifting U.S. sanctions on Russia that were imposed over the annexation.

He has said the goal of his upcoming summit is to improve Washington-Moscow relations, which are at a post-Cold War low.
“We’ll see what Russia does,” Trump said.

More at: http://www.eurasiareview.com/02072018-bolton-us-russia-have-to-agree-to-disagree-on-ukraine/

TheCount
07-02-2018, 05:50 AM
It's almost as if they've decided that being a peace candidate/administration will bring them more votes.

Yeah, sure.

Giuliani Vows That Trump Will Help Bring Down the Iranian Regime

The Trump Administration is now signalling to its allies and Iranian dissidents that its new policy—to choke Tehran economically and publicly support local protesters—can topple the revolutionary government in Iran. “We are now very realistic in being able to see an end of the regime in Iran,” Rudy Giuliani, Trump’s personal attorney, said at the annual gathering of the National Council of Resistance of Iran, the controversial exile group, in Paris on Saturday.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/giuliani-vows-that-trump-will-help-bring-down-the-iranian-regime