PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court Upholds Trump’s Travel Ban

aGameOfThrones
06-26-2018, 08:27 AM
WASHINGTON — President Trump acted lawfully in imposing limits on travel from several predominantly Muslims nations, the Supreme Court ruled on Tuesday.

The vote was 5 to 4, with the court’s conservatives in the majority.

The court’s decision, a major statement on presidential power, marked the conclusion of a long-running dispute over Mr. Trump’s authority to make good on his campaign promises to secure the nation’s borders.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.nytimes.com/2018/06/26/us/politics/supreme-court-trump-travel-ban.amp.html

angelatc
06-26-2018, 09:23 AM
I'm shocked. Not really.

So far, Trump is faring much better before SCOTUS than Obama did.

Jan2017
06-26-2018, 09:27 AM
I thought this would be a bigger win than 5-4 with dissenting opinions (?). . .
it seemed clear that it was all about the vetting of persons entering the nation -

As example, a nation we are friends/cooperate with - Chad - was on the first barred lists -
they had absolutely no infrastructure to determine who people are getting on a USA-bound flight.

It didn't matter nationality, race, or creed.

Swordsmyth
06-26-2018, 01:03 PM
Good!

Brian4Liberty
06-26-2018, 01:11 PM
The sad part is that it makes a mockery of the judicial system, as if the lower court rulings had not already done that. It should have been an easy 9-0. It was pure politics and attempts to legislate from the bench by the dissenters. Another nail in the coffin of the rule of law.

timosman
06-26-2018, 01:16 PM
The sad part is that it makes a mockery of the judicial system, as if the lower court rulings had not already done that. It should have been an easy 9-0. It was pure politics and attempts to legislate from the bench by the dissenters. Another nail in the coffin of the rule of law.

Any decision reached by SCOTUS by a 5-4 majority should be null and void. They should be replaced by a pair of loaded dice.

oyarde
06-26-2018, 01:33 PM

The judicial system is indeed a mockery . There is no longer a rule of law to be respected .

aGameOfThrones
06-26-2018, 01:36 PM

Emotional decisions vs factual and strictly constitutional

timosman
06-26-2018, 01:39 PM
Emotional decisions vs factual and strictly constitutional

Nobody really knows what's in the constitution. We need high priests to interpret it for us. :cool:

Swordsmyth
06-26-2018, 05:38 PM
The Supreme Court just quietly overturned a decision that upheld the internment of Japanese-Americans during World War II as part of a ruling upholding President Donald Trump's controversial travel ban (http://www.businessinsider.com/supreme-court-upholds-trump-travel-ban-2018-6) that primarily targets majority-Muslim countries.
During World War II, President Franklin D. Roosevelt issued Executive Order 9066, which led the US government to force more than 100,000 people of Japanese descent into detention camps.
The decision overruled by the Supreme Court on Tuesday, Korematsu v. United States (http://www.uscourts.gov/educational-resources/educational-activities/facts-and-case-summary-korematsu-v-us), was centered around a man named Fred Korematsu, a Japanese-American who refused to comply with the order. On December 18, 1944, the Supreme Court ruled it was a "military necessity" to detain people of Japanese descent during the war and argued the order was not based on race.
Chief Justice John Roberts made it clear he disagrees with this assessment in the majority opinion (https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/17pdf/17-965_h315.pdf) on Trump's travel ban.

"The forcible relocation of US citizens to concentration camps, solely and explicitly on the basis of race, is objectively unlawful and outside the scope of Presidential authority," Roberts wrote in the majority opinion.
"Korematsu was gravely wrong the day it was decided, has been overruled in the court of history, and — to be clear — 'has no place in law under the Constitution,'" Roberts added.
This was partially in response to the dissenting opinion from Justice Sonia Sotomayor, which contended the ruling on Trump's travel ban has "stark parallels" with the "reasoning" behind the decision made regarding Korematsu.
"Today, the Court takes the important step of finally overruling Korematsu," Sotomayor added. "This formal repudiation of a shameful precedent is laudable and long overdue. But it does not make the majority's decision here acceptable or right."
Sotomayor went on to contend the court was redeploying "the same dangerous logic underlying Korematsu" in upholding Trump's travel ban. She described the travel ban as a "discriminatory policy motivated by animosity toward a disfavored group" that is being justified via a "superficial claim of national security."

Roberts vehemently disagreed with Sotomayor, arguing it's "wholly inapt to liken that morally repugnant order to a facially neutral policy denying certain foreign nationals the privilege of admission."

More at: http://www.businessinsider.com/scotus-overturns-korematsu-decision-allowing-internment-of-us-citizens-japanese-americans-wwii-2018-6

Zippyjuan
06-26-2018, 06:29 PM
Any decision reached by SCOTUS by a 5-4 majority should be null and void. They should be replaced by a pair of loaded dice.

That could have made Al Gore president.

angelatc
06-26-2018, 08:12 PM

You know, if Ginsberg dies while Trump is in office we will see things burning.

Brian4Liberty
06-26-2018, 08:29 PM

Darth Bader will live to 110, existing on pure spite.

timosman
06-26-2018, 08:30 PM

Could have been great for Ron in 2008.

Danke
06-26-2018, 08:45 PM

navy-vet
06-26-2018, 09:14 PM
I heard today that the SCOTUS was hanging over because they have two other cases that need ruling. Anyone know what they are?

Swordsmyth
06-27-2018, 12:35 AM
Judge Swamp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2wuDAxIOig

Wooden Indian
06-27-2018, 02:04 AM
I WAS WRONG. Muslims, Mexicans, Transfatsgenders, whiny feminists, they ARE the greatest threat to my life and the life of everyone I care about.

Trump may be an ass and he may be an Authoritarian, but damn it, if he can give people the courage to speak out against these animals, then I'll support him for that and that reason alone.

I don't post nearly as often as many of you guys.

I read mostly... post a little... and move on. So, maybe you recognize my name, and maybe you don't, but those of you that "know" me, I thought you'd find my change of heart amusing.

Trump 2020: Because tomorrow may be too late to make a stand.

Helluva campaign slogan.

aGameOfThrones
06-27-2018, 10:25 AM
Will Mexico, Central America and South America make the list before or after the Nov Elections?

AuH20
06-27-2018, 10:38 AM
I WAS WRONG. Muslims, Mexicans, Transfatsgenders, whiny feminists, they ARE the greatest threat to my life and the life of everyone I care about.

Trump may be an ass and he may be an Authoritarian, but damn it, if he can give people the courage to speak out against these animals, then I'll support him for that and that reason alone.

I read mostly... post a little... and move on. So, maybe you recognize my name, and maybe you don't, but those of you that "know" me, I thought you'd find my change of heart amusing.

Helluva campaign slogan.

Trump may be a political moderate, but his defiant tone unnerves these harpies unlike anyone else. And when they are confronted, they reveal more of their inhuman agenda for the world to see.

Occam's Banana
06-27-2018, 11:33 AM
Another nail in the coffin of the rule of law.

I don't think it really matters anymore.

The rule of law has been all nails and no coffin for a long time.

The only argument now is over who gets to swing the hammer ...

navy-vet
06-27-2018, 02:09 PM
I don't think I have heard anyone make a wiser prediction, than that one, in a long long time. I thought about it this am, instantly, when I heard about Kennedy.

navy-vet
06-27-2018, 02:12 PM
They have been pushing to end the electoral college, ICE, gun rights, and the SCOTUS since Trump beat the hildabeast. Guess they will be pushing much harder now too. If they had half sense, they would make friends and concede to Trump in the hope that he would appoint a liberal leaning moderate. But no, I bet they go for broke.
smh

Swordsmyth
06-27-2018, 02:15 PM

Darth Bader will live to 110, existing on pure spite.

I don't think I have heard anyone make a wiser prediction, than that one, in a long long time. I thought about it this am, instantly, when I heard about Kennedy.

RBG next.
Q

NorthCarolinaLiberty
06-27-2018, 03:01 PM

Didn't you vote for Gore?

dannno
06-28-2018, 12:05 PM

Helluva campaign slogan.

(6:15-6:55 in particular)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fHUJxcn-uk

angelatc
06-28-2018, 12:26 PM
I heard today that the SCOTUS was hanging over because they have two other cases that need ruling. Anyone know what they are?

scotusblog is the goto for that stuff

navy-vet
06-28-2018, 03:34 PM
scotusblog is the goto for that stuff
Thank's Angela

PierzStyx
06-28-2018, 04:34 PM
YOu mean the government decides the government should have more power to control human life and restrict free trade? Big surprise there.

Anti Globalist
06-28-2018, 04:40 PM
Well the only way Ginsburg will leave the SCOTUS is if she dies. She pretty much refuses to leave while Trump is in office.