PDA

View Full Version : Resist too far? Pelosi tries to tamp down progressives' public shaming of Trump officials

Anti Federalist
06-26-2018, 02:37 AM
Not nearly enough hounding and harrassment, I say.

I'm in favor of this public humiliation, have been for years.

Now, if we could just get "our" side re-energized, so we can light this candle and settle this shit once and for all.

They shout and scream and wave signs and wear pussy hats.

We bring guns.

Resist too far? Pelosi tries to tamp down progressives' public shaming of Trump officials

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-democrats-shaming-trump-20180625-story.html

Sarah D. Wire
By SARAH D. WIRE
JUN 25, 2018 | 3:50 PM

The recent public shaming of Trump administration officials in restaurants has triggered an internal debate among Democrats over how far they should go in confronting the president and his policies.

The boisterous protests against Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen and Trump advisor Stephen Miller as they dined in different Mexican restaurants, and the ejection of White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders by the owner of a Virginia eatery, caused some Democrats to embrace the strategy as an effective way to rally supporters and hold officials responsible.

Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Los Angeles), a frequent critic of the administration, gave a high-profile boost to the tactic by saying members of the Trump administration should be repeatedly confronted in their everyday lives.

“If you see anybody from that Cabinet in a restaurant, in a department store, at a gasoline station, you get out and you create a crowd and you push back on them and you tell them they are not welcome anymore, anywhere,” Waters said at a rally in Los Angeles on Saturday.

On MSNBC the next day, she doubled down, saying that Americans are fed up. “The people are going to turn on them, they are going to protest, they are going to absolutely harass them,” she said.

But on Monday, several Democrats warned that such actions could backfire by eliciting sympathy for Trump officials, rallying Republicans to the polls in midterms or leading to similar protests against liberals by Trump supporters.

President Trump quickly tried to use the protests to portray his administration as a victim, falsely claiming on Twitter that Waters had advocated for his supporters to be harmed.

The Democrats’ debate is not unlike the one raging over whether to openly call for the impeachment of Trump, something party leaders like House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi say is not appropriate at this time, especially as Democrats are trying to regain control of the House.

Pelosi urged caution Monday about expanding the protests against Trump Cabinet members beyond official events. Linking to an article about Waters’ comments, Pelosi took to Twitter to urge civility.

“Trump’s daily lack of civility has provoked responses that are predictable but unacceptable. As we go forward, we must conduct elections in a way that achieves unity from sea to shining sea," she said.

Other high-profile Democrats, like former Obama campaign strategist David Axelrod, called it counter-productive.

“Disgusted with this admin’s policies? Organize, donate, volunteer, VOTE! Rousting Cabinet members from restaurants is an empty and, ultimately, counter-productive gesture that won’t change a thing,” he said in a tweet.

Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer of New York went even further on the Senate floor Monday, saying that copying the president’s abusive tactics isn’t the answer.

"No one should call for the harassment of political opponents. That's not right. That's not American," he said. “The president's tactics and behavior should never be emulated. It should be repudiated by organized, well informed and passionate advocacy."

The recent confrontations marked an escalation of ongoing progressive political protests. For months activists have protested outside the home offices of members of Congress, with some voyaging to their homes as well. They’ve marched in cities across the country, flooded Capitol Hill with phone calls and emails.

"Some folks feel that this [escalation] is justified because the normal routes of protest don't seem to have an effect on this administration,” Menlo College political science professor Melissa Michelson said.

But Michelson said there’s always the chance that undecided voters might be turned off by such aggressive tactics, or that Republicans will be inspired to vote to counteract it.

“If you are a Republican or you are a supporter of the Trump administration, and you see your team being attacked, then you want to come out and defend them,” she said.

But national Democratic strategist Tom Bonier said few voters are likely to be swayed by whether a Cabinet official gets to finish a meal or not. “These incidents may drive chatter inside the Beltway and with voters who are already dug in, but their impact on the broader electorate is nominal, if not nonexistent,” Bonier said.

Democratic leaders now must find a way to avoid extinguishing the passionate progressive backlash against Trump that they will need in the next election, without allowing the outrage to divide or define the entire party. That was the lesson of the GOP tea party wave, when conservative protesters filled town halls to oppose passage of the 2010 Affordable Care Act. Eventually Republican leaders lost control of the movement, partly clearing a path for Trump’s populist takeover of the party.

Protesters chanting “shame, shame, shame” drove DHS Secretary Nielsen from a Mexican restaurant in Washington last week. A larger group continued the chants outside her Virginia home, decrying the Trump administration for separating families at the Southern border, and loudly playing audio of children begging for their parents in Spanish.

Heidi Hess, co-director of the progressive group CREDO Action, which led the action at Nielsen’s house, said protesting outside an administration official’s home is not “outside the realm of what seems absolutely necessary at this point.”

“If you are ripping 4-month-olds from their moms, you have made a decision that there is almost nothing sacred,” Hess said. “I don’t think that ICE is terrorizing families only during the workday.”

Hess disagreed with the Democratic leaders who are pushing back against the protests, saying they want the party to do whatever it can to halt Trump’s policies.

"I think they are scared [that] it’s not going to play well in some kind of contested political landscape, but I think they are wrong,” Hess said.

A restaurant owner in Lexington, Va., pulled Sanders aside during her meal Friday evening, and asked her to leave. The owner told the Washington Post that she and her staff disagree with the administration’s stance on several LGBTQ issues, including the attempt to ban transgender people from serving in the military.

Sanders has seemed eager to draw attention to the incident, tweeting about it over the weekend and opening her White House briefing Monday with a statement about the encounter. Some Democrats feared the White House was using the issue to distract from the administration’s separation of more than 2,000 children from their parents when they crossed the border illegally in recent weeks.

“The calls for harassment and push for any Trump supporter to avoid the public is unacceptable,” she said.

Even when asked a question about why Democrats haven’t been brought to the table to help pass an immigration bill, Sanders found a way to pivot back to Waters.

"They'd rather rant and rave about not allowing members of the Trump administration to step foot in public," Sanders said.

Anti Federalist
06-26-2018, 02:38 AM
Protesters chanting “shame, shame, shame” drove DHS Secretary Nielsen from a Mexican restaurant in Washington last week.

Pffft...

That's what they get for paying good money for re-fried sick.

Suzanimal
06-26-2018, 04:18 AM
Not nearly enough hounding and harrassment, I say.

Now, if we could just get "our" side re-energized, so we can light this candle and settle this shit once and for all.

They shout and scream and wave signs and wear pussy hats.

We bring guns.

I'm all for shaming. I'll leave my gun at home because I'm not a good shot but I'm happy to provide rotten tomatoes. I've fantasized about throwing rotten food at pols.

Pelosi tries to tamp down progressives' public shaming of Trump officials

HAHAHA
Of course she does. She's not as dumb as Waters. I imagine she sees where this will lead.

"Some folks feel that this [escalation] is justified because the normal routes of protest don't seem to have an effect on this administration,” Menlo College political science professor Melissa Michelson said.

I can't think of one they have had an effect on.

nobody's_hero
06-26-2018, 06:04 AM
I can't think of one they have had an effect on.

Blocking traffic has been really effective at pissing off everyone who is just trying to get to work.

EBounding
06-26-2018, 06:29 AM
I'm following #TheResistance ™ on Twitter and it's hilarious. But I'm seriously worried of what they're going to do to themselves if their big blue wave doesn't happen.

shakey1
06-26-2018, 08:10 AM
Waiting for them to do something so undeniably stupid, that it'll be impossible to be ignored by MSM or the amerikan sheeple.

fedupinmo
06-26-2018, 08:22 AM
That article sure leans to the Left, doesn't it?

donnay
06-26-2018, 08:40 AM
Someone is going to get killed. They want a civil war it is clear.

Yelling-- "shame, shame. shame" is something elementary school children do.

brushfire
06-26-2018, 08:45 AM
"The devolution will be televised."

Society, reduced to infantile discourse... Chants, memes, and hashtags. How proud we must all be.

timosman
06-26-2018, 08:54 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggHWRpsMEmk

Suzanimal
06-26-2018, 11:04 AM
Someone is going to get killed. They want a civil war it is clear.

Nah, they just want to feel like they're doing something.

Yelling-- "shame, shame. shame" is something elementary school children do.

I would do it if I didn't have any rotten fruit and ran into a government "worker" I despised. I take that back, I'd probably yell obscenities. I'm not going to slam them for doing something I'd do myself.

I actually got the stink eye at a charity fashion show in my town a few months ago. Between designers some men came out and modeled in drag for entertainment. It was silly and quite funny. Anyway, as it was wrapping up, I found out a few of them were local politicians I hated and I said, rather loudly, if I had known they'd be there, I would've brought some rotten tomatoes to throw at them. I noticed the women in front of me turn and give me the stink eye. After the show, I found out they were the wives of the politicians. :D I'm glad they heard me. I find it amusing that they didn't have the balls to say anything to me as I sat there smack talking their husbands.

Brian4Liberty
06-26-2018, 11:52 AM
Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer of New York went even further on the Senate floor Monday, saying that copying the president’s abusive tactics isn’t the answer.

"No one should call for the harassment of political opponents. That's not right. That's not American," he said. “The president's tactics and behavior should never be emulated. It should be repudiated by organized, well informed and passionate advocacy."

Trump certainly does love personal attacks. But I must have missed that time where he stood outside of an Obama official's house all night with a bullhorn. Or kicked a poltician out of one of his restaurants for being a member of the Obama Administration. Or started screaming at someone as a political protest in a restaurant.

RJB
06-26-2018, 01:14 PM
I'm all for shaming. I'll leave my gun at home because I'm not a good shot but I'm happy to provide rotten tomatoes. I've fantasized about throwing rotten food at pols.
When an arrogant person is giving a speech, I like to imagine the shocked look they'd have after getting hit in the face with a rotten tomato. It makes some speeches more bare able for me.

timosman
06-26-2018, 01:37 PM
When an arrogant person is giving a speech, I like to imagine the shocked look they'd have after getting hit in the face with a rotten tomato. It makes some speeches more bare able for me.

You could just extend your middle finger.

dannno
06-26-2018, 01:40 PM
The reason the high ranking dems don't want to normalize this is because they know that the other half of the country hates them just as much.

RJB
06-26-2018, 01:41 PM
You could just extend your middle finger.

Picturing the person with a red sploch on their cheek and a horrified look on their face is more satisfying to me. Also I don't get dirty looks if I keep it all in my head.

timosman
06-26-2018, 01:43 PM
Picturing the person with a red sploch on their cheek and a horrified look on their face is more satisfying to me. Also I don't get dirty looks if I keep it all in my head.

Now imagine if you were not the only one.

Jamesiv1
06-26-2018, 01:45 PM
Rotten tomatos at the 3:00 minute mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3eTSbC3neA

oyarde
06-26-2018, 02:29 PM
I'm following #TheResistance ™ on Twitter and it's hilarious. But I'm seriously worried of what they're going to do to themselves if their big blue wave doesn't happen.

I am not worried . I can even offer them suggestions .

H_H
06-26-2018, 02:52 PM
Not nearly enough hounding and harassment, I say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMrnUM8gsUM

Bring the chaos. Polarization only helps our cause.

timosman
06-26-2018, 02:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMrnUM8gsUM

Bring the chaos. Polarization only helps our cause.

Fuck the fake unity.:cool:

H_H
06-26-2018, 02:56 PM
[Pelosi]'s not as dumb as Waters.

She's on some seriously bizarre drugs, though. Also probably just losing her mind. But yeah, not as naturally low-IQ as Waters.

Philhelm
06-26-2018, 04:13 PM
Now imagine if you were not the only one.

And imagine a white, creamy splotch instead.

Suzanimal
06-26-2018, 04:31 PM
She's on some seriously bizarre drugs, though. Also probably just losing her mind. But yeah, not as naturally low-IQ as Waters.

I suspect all that Botox seeping into her brain has something to do with her crazy.

Suzanimal
06-26-2018, 04:39 PM

I like the idea of bringing back the stocks in the town square so all that rotten produce doesn't go to waste. I saw that in a cartoon when I was a kid and thought it was just brilliant.

timosman
06-26-2018, 05:30 PM
And imagine a white, creamy splotch instead.

Thanks, but no thanks.:cool:

Philhelm
06-27-2018, 10:31 AM
Thanks, but no thanks.:cool:

Who doesn't like ice cream?

Occam's Banana
06-27-2018, 11:51 AM
That was the lesson of the GOP tea party wave, when conservative protesters filled town halls to oppose passage of the 2010 Affordable Care Act. Eventually Republican leaders lost took control of the movement, partly clearing a path for Trump’s populist takeover of the party.

Fixed.