PDA

View Full Version : 25% tariff on Chinese woodworking equipment

tod evans
06-19-2018, 04:15 PM
U.S. to collect 25% tariffs on Chinese woodworking equipment starting July 6

https://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/news/woodworking-industry-news/us-will-collect-25-percent-tariffs-chinese-woodworking-equipment-july

http://cdn1.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg500/g/g9740z-f83e174d299f08077e54e3196b25569c.jpg

Planing, milling or molding machines for working wood and other materials, as well as grinding, sanding or polishing machines, bending or assembling machines and related machine tools for working wood are on the list of items on which the U.S. will begin collecting 25 percent tariffs on July 6.

Also included are presses for making particleboard or fiber building board of wood or other ligneous materials, and machinery for treating wood, all included on a final list of 1,102 items issued June 15 by the Office of the United States Trade Representative, a White House office leading the effort in a $50 billion trade battle with China. A preliminary list, issued in April, was narrowed down by 280 items. It had also included bentwood chair components.

The tariffs, meant to dampen demand for the technology, is part of the U.S. response to what the white house calls "China’s unfair trade practices related to the forced transfer of American technology and intellectual property." The White House said Chinese imports containing industrially significant technologies, including those related to China’s 'Made in China 2025' industrial policy, such as general industrial robots, are targeted.

“We must take strong defensive actions to protect America’s leadership in technology and innovation against the unprecedented threat posed by China’s theft of our intellectual property, the forced transfer of American technology, and its cyber attacks on our computer networks,” said Ambassador Robert Lighthizer. “China’s government is aggressively working to undermine America’s high-tech industries and our economic leadership through unfair trade practices and industrial policies like ‘Made in China 2025.’ Technology and innovation are America’s greatest economic assets and President Trump rightfully recognizes that if we want our country to have a prosperous future, we must take a stand now to uphold fair trade and protect American competitiveness.”

The list of products issued June 15 (see PDF) covers 1,102 separate U.S. tariff lines valued at approximately $50 billion in 2018 trade values. This list was compiled based on extensive interagency analysis and a thorough examination of comments and testimony from interested parties. It generally focuses on products from industrial sectors that contribute to or benefit from the “Made in China 2025” industrial policy, which include industries such as aerospace, information and communications technology, robotics, industrial machinery, new materials, and automobiles. The list does not include goods commonly purchased by American consumers such as cellular telephones or televisions.

This list of products consists of two sets of U.S tariff lines. The first set contains 818 lines of the original 1,333 lines that were included on the proposed list published on April 6. These lines cover approximately $34 billion worth of imports from China. USTR has determined to impose an additional duty of 25 percent on these 818 product lines after having sought and received views from the public and advice from the appropriate trade advisory committees. Customs and Border Protection will begin to collect the additional duties on July 6, 2018.

oyarde
06-19-2018, 04:23 PM
I know this might effect someone negatively , but myself , I can get by without any chinese pressed wood .

tod evans
06-19-2018, 04:31 PM
I know this might effect someone negatively , but myself , I can get by without any chinese pressed wood .

Doesn't bother me one whit either.