PDA

View Full Version : Trump says WaPo staffers should strike: 'We would get rid of Fake News for an extended period

timosman
06-17-2018, 08:52 AM
Trump says Washington Post staffers should strike: 'We would get rid of Fake News for an extended period of time'

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/392666-trump-says-wapo-staffers-should-strike-we-would-get-rid-of-fake-news-for-an

06/17/18

President Trump on Sunday encouraged Washington Post employees to go on strike, saying the move would mean getting rid of "Fake News for an extended period of time.”

“Washington Post employees want to go on strike because Bezos isn’t paying them enough. I think a really long strike would be a great idea,” Trump tweeted, referencing Jeff Bezos, the Post's owner and CEO of Amazon. “Employees would get more money and we would get rid of Fake News for an extended period of time!”

He also renewed his previous inaccurate claim that the Post is a “registered lobbyist.”

Trump's tweet came shortly after the Post reported that former Trump campaign adviser Roger Stone met with a Russian national who offered dirt on Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton in exchange for $2 million during the 2016 election.

More than 400 Washington Post employees signed an open letter to Bezos on Thursday, asking for fair wages and benefits "from someone who believes democracy dies in darkness."

“All we are asking for is fairness for each and every employee who contributed to this company’s success: fair wages; fair benefits for retirement, family leave and health care; and a fair amount of job security,” the letter reads.

Post employees had widely shared the excerpts on social media, tweeting calls for Bezos to reexamine employee pay and benefits, but did not mention a possible strike in the letter.

Trump has long blasted the Post as "fake news" and has long attacked Amazon and Bezos.

The Post and Amazon are two separate businesses and operate independently of one another.

oyarde
06-17-2018, 10:05 AM
I imagine if I started looking at individuals at the post I would see they are over compensated . Bezos can hire me one day a week as an independent contractor to weed out the dead weight . Should have it shut down in no time temporarily until I refill the positions with better people for less.

timosman
06-17-2018, 10:09 AM
I imagine if I started looking at individuals at the post I would see they are over compensated . Bezos can hire me one day a week as an independent contractor to weed out the dead weight . Should have it shut down in no time temporarily until I refill the positions with better people for less.

How can you be so mean to people? They have families, cars, mortgages, etc .... Incompetence should not be a reason for losing your job.:cool:

timosman
06-17-2018, 07:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjfQwjbpBac

kpitcher
06-17-2018, 10:15 PM
I'm sure trump doesn't like any paper that does things like count how many lies he says...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2018/05/01/president-trump-has-made-3001-false-or-misleading-claims-so-far/?utm_term=.c8775654ac14

I don't know anything about the news business but from an article "Adweek reported the newspaper offered just $10-a-week in pay increases, which amount to 0.6 percent of the median salary" If I can do math at this hour that'd be $1,666 per week average salary then or $86k a year. Google says average for DC is $71 so it does appear they're being paid more than average. Of course if they want to publicize their negotiations that's their option. With right to work it may not be the best option...

fedupinmo
06-18-2018, 08:30 AM
When a sentence begins with the word is and ends with a question mark, that's not a claim it's a suggestion. Fake News exposes itself again.
As far as the Washington Post counting Trump's lies, I'm pretty sure the Washington Post lies a lot more than Trump does.