PDA

View Full Version : Rand Holds Hearing on Effects of Unauthorized War

Matt Collins
06-06-2018, 08:17 PM
From a press release:

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=5a2b6f0f30&view=fimg&th=163d74813a30b42a&attid=0.2&disp=emb&attbid=ANGjdJ_K79TwOnm2fQr-s1K86ncnjRD5CThGKWHHHQtXABfXc0Tipg1HaxIw_Z8HFoQ2tB goB8F8jswgfrN1riiucPYkAaq4jghPCp1-4C3uCfMQ-XaIa9mQuJfhjB0&sz=w688-h458&ats=1528334131112&rm=163d74813a30b42a&zw&atsh=1

Dr. Rand Paul Holds Hearing on Effects of Unauthorized War

WASHINGTON, D.C. – This afternoon, U.S. Senator Rand Paul, chairman of the Federal Spending Oversight and Emergency Management (FSO) Subcommittee for the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee (HSGAC), held a hearing entitled, “War Powers and the Effects of Unauthorized Military Engagements on Federal Spending.”

Today’s hearing focused on the constitutional implications of open-ended war under both the existing Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF) and the revised AUMF proposed by Senators Bob Corker (R-TN) and Tim Kaine (D-VA).

The FSO subcommittee heard testimony from Judge Andrew Napolitano, Senior Judicial Analyst at the Fox News Channel; Professor Jonathan Turley from The George Washington University School of Law; and Christopher Anders, Deputy Director of the ACLU’s Washington Legislative Office.

In addition to FSO subcommittee members, Dr. Paul opened the hearing to other senators, with Senators Mike Lee (R-UT), Bernie Sanders (I-VT), Tom Udall (D-NM), and Jeff Merkley (D-OR) asking questions of the witnesses.

“[I]t is the job of Congress to declare or initiate war, and Congress has been negligent for over a decade now. Congress has not done its job. Congress has let president after president strip the war power from Congress and concentrate that power in the Executive,” Dr. Paul said in his opening statement.

Regarding what the situation would look like under the Corker-Kaine AUMF, Judge Andrew Napolitano testified, “So a president with one-third plus one in either house can wage war on any target at any time the president chooses to do so. That is so contrary to what Madison intended, so contrary to the plain meaning of the Constitution, so violative of the separation of powers as to be a rejection of the oath to preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution, and none of you wants to reject that oath.”

You can watch Dr. Paul’s opening statement HERE (https://youtu.be/CYDjdkT3Ves) and the full hearing HERE (https://youtu.be/5BAo8PSQdoo).

https://youtu.be/CYDjdkT3Ves

https://youtu.be/5BAo8PSQdoo

euphemia
06-06-2018, 08:41 PM
Thank you, Dr. Paul.

jkr
06-06-2018, 09:32 PM
Well...it isn't good...

Bern
06-07-2018, 06:15 AM
Probably won't move the needle on any real opposition to AUMF, but I am glad to see the effort. At least someone in Congress actually cares about the issue.

osan
06-07-2018, 01:08 PM
Well it's about time someone at least mentioned it in an official capacity... not that it will change anything, thanks to stoopid Americans who don't care enough to see it come to an end.

Humans.

osan
06-07-2018, 01:13 PM
At least someone in Congress actually cares about the issue.

0.5% isn't very encouraging. Until Americans get good and pissed - enough to threaten physical death to those in office - Congress will continue as it pleases. What possible motive would they have to change the status quo, unless there is some very unpleasant consequence attached to refusing to do the right things... like being killed by a very angry mob? Since Americans are so pussified, Theye seem to have little over which to become concerned.

timosman
06-08-2018, 05:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hts6nRGp6Zk

georgiaboy
06-10-2018, 05:19 PM
Wake Up, America.

timosman
06-10-2018, 06:04 PM
A message to KJU - this man is unaccountable, sorry.:cool:

devil21
06-10-2018, 08:55 PM
Based on Merkley's and Udall's questions, seems like the 'compromise' will be to shove in some sunset provision that will be revisited at some future time, well after the damage has been accomplished. You can blow up a lot of people in 3 or 4 years (or imprison a lot of Americans...that NDAA amendment mentioned is scary) and many in Congress that vote for it today wouldn't be in office to take responsibility for their support when the revisit comes up.

Swordsmyth
06-10-2018, 09:01 PM
Based on Merkley's and Udall's questions, seems like the 'compromise' will be to shove in some sunset provision that will be revisited at some future time, well after the damage has been accomplished. You can blow up a lot of people in 3 or 4 years (or imprison a lot of Americans...that NDAA amendment mentioned is scary) and many in Congress that vote for it today wouldn't be in office to take responsibility for their support when the revisit comes up.

I agree but Rand will have accomplished something just to get a sunset provision, the Clinton AW ban died that way.

devil21
06-10-2018, 09:15 PM
I agree but Rand will have accomplished something just to get a sunset provision, the Clinton AW ban died that way.

Yay, a 100% unconstitutional bill with a sunset provision! Oh wait, it is still a 100% unconstitutional bill. Putting a limit on the length of time that the Constitution can be violated is not an improvement.

Swordsmyth
06-10-2018, 09:17 PM
Yay, a 100% unconstitutional bill with a sunset provision! Oh wait, it is still a 100% unconstitutional bill. Putting a limit on the length of time that the Constitution can be violated is not an improvement.

I said I agreed with you but would you rather it be enacted permanently?

devil21
06-10-2018, 09:20 PM
I said I agreed with you but would you rather it be enacted permanently?

What difference does it make?

Swordsmyth
06-10-2018, 09:23 PM
What difference does it make?

I'd rather stop it completely but if it passes I'd rather end it than leave it in place, we have a better chance of seeing it end with a sunset provision.

devil21
06-11-2018, 11:19 AM
I'd rather stop it completely but if it passes I'd rather end it than leave it in place, we have a better chance of seeing it end with a sunset provision.

And that is how freedom is chipped away piece by piece.

Swordsmyth
06-11-2018, 11:53 AM
And that is how freedom is chipped away piece by piece.
Which is better than losing it in large chunks, if you know how to stop it completely please contact Rand.