PDA

View Full Version : Trump: 'I Wish I Did' Pick A Different Attorney General Than Sessions

Zippyjuan
05-30-2018, 01:53 PM
https://www.npr.org/2018/05/30/615435491/trump-i-wish-i-did-pick-a-different-attorney-general-than-sessions

President Trump resumed his attacks against Attorney General Jeff Sessions on Wednesday following reports that he had asked Sessions to un-recuse himself from the Russia investigation — and after more erosion of Trump's claim that the FBI spied on his campaign.

Trump used his Twitter account to echo the comments of House oversight committee chairman Trey Gowdy, R-S.C., who has been using TV appearances to try to offer some nuanced support to Trump.

Gowdy told CBS on Wednesday that he could sympathize with Trump's frustrations about Sessions based on what he called Sessions' reticence about his willingness to take part in the Russia probe.

Gowdy said the problem wasn't necessarily that there had been any wrongdoing in that case but that Sessions hadn't said before he became attorney general that he felt he couldn't take part in the matter.

Trump quoted Gowdy and added his own epigram: " ' ... There are lots of really good lawyers in the country, he could have picked somebody else!' And I wish I did!"

Trump's and Gowdy's comments followed a story in The New York Times that said Trump had asked Sessions to reverse his recusal in the Russia case.

Trump wanted Sessions to take control of the Russia matter, the Times reported, in order to protect him — he evidently felt he could exercise more control over Sessions than over Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, who eventually appointed special counsel Robert Mueller.

More at link.